╌>

A Photo Retrospective of Nanning, Guanxi Province, and Environs

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  7 years ago  •  8 comments

When I was living in China for a year or so I got somewhat lonely, so I used a dating web site to get to meet women here. The site had the very apt name of "Plenty of Fish". Chinese women who were seeking a male companion would post their photo and a little autobio, and if I saw one that attracted me we would correspond by email. There were age categories, and at my age, I was not looking for a teenager but someone in their 40s or early 50s seemed to be reasonable. Now I've always considered Chinese women to be the most attractive women in the world, and the photos sure indicated it. So my first venture was a woman in Nanning and after a bunch of emails back and forth I flew there to meet her. I didn't recognize her - did she ever change. As well, she didn't speak a word of English. She had posted a photo of herself in her 20s or 30s and no longer looked so good. As well, I found out she had a friend who spoke English do the correspondence. But what the best was, her friend asked me if I was going to take her back to Canada. I said no, and that I planned to stay in China. Well, that ended THAT relationship. So I wandered around the city and took photos, met another expat and we went to an ancient village near Nanning, and an area where an ethnic minority had a village. Starting with Nanning, here are some photos.  I don't have many photos of Nanning itself, because my camera was stolen there, but that's a whole other story.

1.   The international Centre in Nanning.

nan 17.jpg

2.   It took a while for me to realize that one of the ways to keep a huge population working was to not use machinery that can take away jobs from people.

nan 16.jpg

3.    A lot of interesting architecture - there is a Wal-Mart sign at the lower left.

nan 18.jpg

4.  A really beautiful spot behind the Nanning museum/

nan 12.jpg

5.   No, this is not Texas - this is also behind the museum.

nan 1.jpg

6.   At the Zhuang ethnic community, these girls were dressed in their traditional costumes.

nan 6.jpg

7.   In the history of the ethnic community, Mo Yi was a great king.

nan 4.jpg

8.    Finally a sign in English with correct spelling and grammar.

nan 5.jpg

9.    The rest of these photos were taken at an ancient museum village not far from Nanning. It's necessary to take this ferry across the river to get there.  With all the stories about Asian ferry boats sinking, and seeing what they piled up on this one I was a little nervous on it.

r

nan 14.jpg

10.  Ancient village transportation.

nan 10.jpg

11.  Next to the river, fish is a regular meal.

nan 11.jpg

12.  Along the lanes the houses are quite primitive.

nan 8.jpg

13.  The roofs are interesting, though.

nan 9.jpg

14.  And inside, this is the main room, used for dining and living.

nan 15.jpg

15.  A typical resident - she looks as if she could be one of the original ones.

nan 7.jpg

16.  Drying edible leaves for meals, spread out on the pavement.

nan 2.jpg

17.  Washing the vegetables.  That type of bamboo raft is also used by fishermen.

nan 3.jpg

18.  These lanterns hang outside the homes.

nan 13.jpg

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

That was probably the oldest and most authentic ancient village I've seen here.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2  Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Really remarkable photos Buzz. China looks like a must do trip for me. I look at it and it seems like nothing else I have experienced. 

Great photo essay. Really get a feeling for the place. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4  Raven Wing    7 years ago

Thank you for the wonderful photos and information about the ancient village and great museums.

I have been enjoying watching a lot of Chinese Episodes that took place in the early years of China and Korea when they were first founded and before. I love the scenery and story lines, most about actual ancient rulers, Warlords, Emperors and Kings, and the people who lived in those times. The severe droughts and floods that did immeasurable damage to the countryside and the dire challenges the people endured to survive during those times.

The photos of the of the older homes and rustic way of life sort of coincides with some of the shows that I watch.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Raven Wing @4    7 years ago

If you enjoy that type of film, there is a great movie you would enjoy watching. I't called "The Good Earth" starring Louise Rainer (won the Oscar for her performance) and Paul Muni (deserved an Oscar for his) about their life during a Dynasty period, when the ancient village I depicted would be the norm. It's an adaption of a novel by Pearl S. Buck who was a renowned author of Chinese life.  Although the acting was superb, today it would suffer from attack for using Caucasians to play the parts of Orientals.

good earth.jpg

From Wikipedia:

The Good Earth is a novel by Pearl S. Buck published in 1931 and awarded the Pulitzer Prize for the Novel in 1932. The best-selling novel in the United States in both 1931 and 1932 was an influential factor in Buck's winning the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1938. It is the first book in a trilogy that includes Sons (1932) and A House Divided (1935).

The novel, which dramatizes family life in a Chinese village before World War I , has been recognized for major awards. It was included in Life Magazine's list of the 100 outstanding books of 1924–1944. [1] In 2004, the book was returned to the bestseller list when chosen by the television host Oprah Winfrey for Oprah's Book Club . [2] The novel helped prepare Americans of the 1930s to consider Chinese as allies in the coming war with Japan. [3]

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    7 years ago

Indeed, Buzz, I both read the book and watched the film. My favorite site for watching very good early Asian programs is KissAsian.com. They have a large assortment of really great programs and movies of the Japanese, Taiwanese, Korean, Chinese and others. And they are free, and feature many of the best actors and actresses. 

It is kind of the closest I can get to satisfying my desire for studying the old world way of life. And learning a part of history that is part of the world history with all live with in one way or another. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Raven Wing @4.1.1    7 years ago

Have you not seen this? 

The site Kissasian.com has been shut down for showing ABS-CBN TV shows and Movies and for infringing ABS-CBN’s Intellectual Property rights.

Click here to get your 7-Day Free Trial of TFC.tv, the official ABS-CBN website.

$7.99 Per month Hurry, special limited time offer of TFC.tv

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.2    7 years ago

Hi Buzz....I have not had any trouble accessing KissAsain.com here. In fact, I have been watching a couple of episodes there this morning. The connection I have to that site does not require you to pay for viewing any of the episodes. I can faster updates on episodes there than I can on DramaFever or vivki.com, both of which want you to pay for viewing some of the programs, or to be ad free, which they bombard you with in order to frustrate you into paying. I have been watching KissAsain for over a year now and have never gotten any viri or malware from the site, and I have very good AV and malware programs. My hard drive and files are fine and I don't use credit cards on any of the sites as I don't pay to view any programs. 

So not sure what version of KissAsian you are referring to, but, that is not what is happening in the site I have. 

But, thank you for your concern in posting this information for me, I truly appreciate it. (smile)