╌>

NYC DA curiously dropped felony case against Don Jr. and Ivanka after Trump lawyer paid a visit

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jwc2blue  •  7 years ago  •  46 comments

NYC DA curiously dropped felony case against Don Jr. and Ivanka after Trump lawyer paid a visit

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/10/4/1704006/-NYC-D-A-curiously-dropped-felony-case-against-Don-Jr-and-Ivanka-after-Trump-lawyer-paid-a-visit

In 2012, Donald Trump Jr. and Ivanka Trump were teetering on the brink of felony fraud charges. The Major Economic Crimes Bureau of the  New York District Attorney’s office spent two years investigating the case before Trump’s attorney, one of the DA’s largest donors, intervened and the case—poof—went away. From  ProPublica:

For two years, prosecutors in the Manhattan District Attorney’s office had been building a criminal case against them for misleading prospective buyers of units in the Trump SoHo, a hotel and condo development that was failing to sell. Despite the best efforts of the siblings’ defense team, the case had not gone away. An indictment seemed like a real possibility. The evidence included emails from the Trumps making clear that they were aware they were using inflated figures about how well the condos were selling to lure buyers.

In one email, according to four people who have seen it, the Trumps discussed how to coordinate false information they had given to prospective buyers. In another, according to a person who read the emails, they worried that a reporter might be onto them. In yet another, Donald Jr. spoke reassuringly to a broker who was concerned about the false statements, saying that nobody would ever find out, because only people on the email chain or in the Trump Organization knew about the deception, according to a person who saw the email.

Frustrated that Don Jr. and Ivanka’s legal team hadn’t been able to get the case dropped, Donald Trump dispatched his own personal attorney, Marc Kasowitz, to bypass the  Major Economic Crimes Bureau, in favor of direct talks with District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. Kasowitz, who’d donated $25,000 that same year to Vance, must’ve worked some magic in that meeting because despite two years of investigation and a trail of emails pointing to fraud, Vance overruled his staff and dropped the case. Kasowitz bragged about making it disappear:

Ultimately, Vance overruled his own prosecutors. Three months after the meeting, he told them to drop the case. Kasowitz subsequently boasted to colleagues about representing the Trump children, according to two people. He said that the case was “really dangerous,” one person said, and that it was “amazing I got them off.” (Kasowitz denied making such a statement.)

Vance did return the $25,000 donation before he met with Kasowitz, but:

Just before the 2012 meeting, Vance’s campaign had returned Kasowitz’s $25,000 contribution, in keeping with what Vance describes as standard practice when a donor has a case before his office. Kasowitz “had no influence and his contributions had no influence whatsoever on my decision-making in the case,” Vance said.

But less than six months after the D.A.’s office dropped the case, Kasowitz made an even larger donation to Vance’s campaign, and helped raise more from others — eventually, a total of more than $50,000. After being asked about these donations as part of the reporting for this article — more than four years after the fact — Vance said he now plans to give back Kasowitz’s second contribution, too. “I don’t want the money to be a millstone around anybody’s neck, including the office’s,” he said.

Both parties deny the contributions had anything to do with the case. Read more about the case at  ProPublica  

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
2  Spikegary    7 years ago

So, the District Attorney in New York State, a liberal democrat, governed by another liberal democrat, abandoned a pretty much closed book guaranteed conviction of two celebrities that are the daughter and son of the Democrats number 1 target in the universe. 

Sorry, your story and your source are not credible.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3  Texan1211    7 years ago

This story reminds me of how no criminal charges were filed after a spouse of the very person under investigation met with a top Justice Dept. official at an airport!

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
3.1  Explorerdog  replied to  Texan1211 @3    7 years ago

Amazingly similar to a remarkable end to an investigation by Pam Bondi, shiny stuff everywhere you look.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4  Texan1211    7 years ago

I remember many Democrats loudly proclaiming--about Hillary--"No indictment, no crime!!!"

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
4.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @4    7 years ago

Do you also "remember" anyone giving a bribe to Comey?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.2    7 years ago

Comey?  The Head of the FBI isn't legally able to charge people with crimes. He can investigate and recommend.

Junior Participates
4.2.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.1    7 years ago

I guess you remember things that didn't happen but  can't remember those that did.  Comey is the person who decided there was not enough evidence to recommend charges and announced that.  But please don't stop listing things that never occurred.  It makes for great fun.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.2.2    7 years ago

That's the problem with people who don't KNOW--they GUESS!

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
4.2.4  Rex Block  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.2.2    7 years ago

There was enough evidence, but Loretta said she would not prosecute.

Junior Participates
5  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    7 years ago

Paid a visit to the DA AND a hefty campaign contribution (which was returned after it was discovered, of course).

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @5    7 years ago

25k is "hefty" in New York politics? Surely you jest!! LMFAO!

Junior Participates
5.1.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    7 years ago

Gawd, man, is there no limit to how silly you want to be seen.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @5.1.1    7 years ago

So you want us to believe that Vance, a DEMOCRAT, could be bought off for a paltry 25K? LMAO!!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Texan1211  replied to    7 years ago

Certainly not insinuating that at ALL. 

But I find it hard to believe that they could be had for so little money.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Texan1211  replied to    7 years ago

Let me try once again to explain it to you. It isn't that I think Democrats are above bribery, it is just unbelievable to me that a DA could be bought for so little.