╌>

Terrorist plot targeting NYC concerts, subways and landmarks foiled by investigators

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  7 years ago  •  27 comments

Terrorist plot targeting NYC concerts, subways and landmarks foiled by investigators

Related image

A trio of maniacal terrorists targeted women and children — hoping to make “an ocean out of their blood” — in a failed attack they dreamed would be on par with 9/11, federal officials said Friday.

The ISIS-inspired plot to set off bombs in Times Square, the New York City subway system and at concerts in the Big Apple was thwarted by the FBI and NYPD before it ever got off the ground.

The would-be jihadists were identified as 19-year-old Canadian Abdulrahman El Bahnasawy, 19-year-old Tala Haroon, a U.S. citizen who lives in Pakistan, and Russel Salic, 37, of the Philippines.

(Link)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

El Bahnasawy and Haroon began sharing their fantasies of death and destruction last spring via web messaging apps, unwittingly telling an undercover agent, “these Americans need an attack,” and that they wanted to “create the next 9/11.”

El Bahnasawy allegedly bought bomb-making materials and rented a cabin near the city to build and store explosives, according to federal court papers.

He said he wanted to “practice shooting” at the cabin site if it was not “too close to people.”

Haroon planned to travel to the city to help him execute the strike — and met with bomb experts in Pakistan.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

The American citizen told the agent he wanted to “cause great destruction to the filthy kuffars (a derogatory term referring to non-Muslims) by our hands.”

At one point, he also gave the undercover a picture of Times Square, writing, “We seriously need a car bomb at times square... Look at these crowds of people!”

He added that he wanted to “shoot up concerts cuz they kill a lot of people.”

El Bahnsawy expressed his desire to mimic the 2015 slaughter in Paris that left 130 people dead after Islamic terrorists attacked cafes and a concert hall.

“(W)e just walk in with guns in our hands,” he wrote. “That’s how the Paris guys did it.”

kpr37
Professor Silent
2.1  kpr37  replied to  Krishna @2    7 years ago
The American citizen told the agent he wanted to “cause great destruction to the filthy kuffars (a derogatory term referring to non-Muslims) by our hands.”

Filthy, or najis in Arabic. The harbi suffix makes it deadly.

The Kafir is in point of fact, among things that are taught to be unclean (najis) for theocratic Muslims. As referenced by Quran 9;28

KUALA LUMPUR, June 30 ― Pahang Mufti Datuk Seri Abdul Rahman Osman has defended his “kafir harbi” label against opponents of Islam, saying his previous remark was not meant to be a sanction for the slaughter of non-Muslims.

The senior Islamic cleric also said those who lodged police reports against him had the right to do so, but insisted he has never condoned killing those labelled “kafir harbi” , The Star reported today.

They have the right to do that. But I never intended to call on the Muslims to slay the non-Muslims as I was just making a general statement,” he was quoted saying.

“As Muslims, we have the responsibility to declare jihad against kafir harbi. But in this context, jihad does not necessarily mean picking up weapons and going to war,” he was quoted saying further.

taken from this article explaining the Kafir in an Islamic context. The K word

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
3  nightwalker    7 years ago

Well, there you have it.  People Killing each other because of differences in superstitions and wishing there could be more death, right here in the 21st century. Religion is a wonderful thing, alright.

Since all Religions are ultra-conservative by nature none of them will ever change so there will always be extremists who think they're going get a big prize after they die, and as a bonus you can do ANYTHING you want in the name of Religion as long as you're doing it to someone else.

How about that. We might be the only species that turns out to be a evolutionary dead end because of Religion.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  nightwalker @3    7 years ago

Your example of a "religion" is Islam?

More people have been killed via ideology than religion. Look up Communism

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
3.2.1  nightwalker  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2    7 years ago

Religion IS a ideology on who has their religion right and what (supposedly) your version of god wants you to do. It's also thrown in political disputes like icing on a donut. England always thought god was on their side, so did the French, the Germans, Spain.. god was always on the U.S. side and in the Civil War both sides thought god was on their side and so on. Religion isn't the direct cause of all wars, but it always seems to be in there somewhere, pushing it forward a bit. One of the easiest ways to start a fight is to compare religions, and that's just among U.S. religions.

It's not that I'm anti-God as much as anti-Religions.  A lot of those twits are just using Religion as a excuse to murder, rape, kidnap and destroy, and we also have people in this country who use Religion as a cover and a excuse.

But hey, if you believe you've truly found God and you're happy with and in your church, good for you, enjoy.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.3  JohnRussell  replied to  nightwalker @3    7 years ago

Every topic on this site now has to turn into an argument about religion due to the influx of newcomers, atheist and believer,  from Newsvine. Is that all y'all did over there all day long? 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.3.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @3.3    7 years ago

Over there it was mostly politics with an overabundance of Trump bashers. You are barking up the wrong tree. Religion very seldom came into conversations unless there was a story which included the subject or a story about Huckabee, Pence, or any other (what they used to call) purveyor of family values.

Don't bash the viners. Overall, a good bunch of people. Too many of the liberal persuasion but I guess that is to be expected when they THOUGHT they were winning and the theme of the place became doom and gloom without a hint of reasoning behind it.

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
3.3.2  nightwalker  replied to  JohnRussell @3.3    7 years ago

No it's not what we did at NV, at least in the beginning, but it was over-run with trolls, direct personal insults, threats and it didn't matter what subject it was, all conversations were political at the end of NV. The ultra-cons loved it and owned it the last two months of existence, when moderation seemed almost nill, deleting any comments that didn't totally agree with them and blocking such disagreeable people from any rooms they controlled.

LOL Sorry John, bet you didn't think anybody would answer, did you?

Anyway speaking for myself, I tend to talk religion when the article has a religious angle like this one, or politics if it leans thata way, and the rest of the time I go with the subject and the comments like everyone else.

Don't worry, the NVers will grow on ya, some have rather nice manners and a attractive turn of phrase. (ahem) unfortunately, I are not one of them. Although there was that one time, spring of '92 I think, where I admitted I was wrong, that's gotta get me some credit, right?angel  

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
3.4  magnoliaave  replied to  nightwalker @3    7 years ago

I might want to take exception to your "big prize after they die" statement which I read  to include Christians.  Believe me, there will be no big prize for us if we kill others. 

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
3.4.1  nightwalker  replied to  magnoliaave @3.4    7 years ago

Well, that's a point, but some Christian faiths have it written in there somewhere that you go directly to Heaven if you die "in the service of the Lord" and I don't know if that covers dying while doing the Priest's laundry. It comes from a time when Religions were more violent and most Religions hated and did not tolerate each other well. 

But I do totally agree with you that anybody that murders innocents or children will never make Heaven.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
3.4.2  mocowgirl  replied to  magnoliaave @3.4    7 years ago
Believe me, there will be no big prize for us if we kill others.

Is it your belief that US/world Christian soldiers who kill women and children are going to Hell?

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
3.4.3  magnoliaave  replied to  mocowgirl @3.4.2    7 years ago

For goodness sake.  That is during a conflict/war!

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
3.4.4  magnoliaave  replied to  nightwalker @3.4.1    7 years ago

I don't know anything about the "in the service of the Lord", but I would think that would be a quick entry!

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
3.4.5  mocowgirl  replied to  magnoliaave @3.4.3    7 years ago
That is during a conflict/war!

So murdering innocents is not an offense as long as it is government sanctioned?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Radical Muslim supporters like C.A.I.R. argue that there are few instances of Muslims committing terrorism, and statistics indicate that may be true, but what everyone seems to forget is about the huge number of plots that have been foiled. Political Correctness prevents the public from knowing all the facts.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    7 years ago

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
4.1.1  Cerenkov  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    7 years ago

Deflection 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    7 years ago

As no one else has done it, I will.  Congratulations and total respect for those who foiled this plot and saved the lives of many in doing so.