╌>

Mississippi school district removes To Kill a Mockingbird from middle school lesson plan because it 'makes people uncomfortable'

Category:  Mental Health and Wellness

Via:  krishna  •  7 years ago  •  29 comments

Mississippi school district removes To Kill a Mockingbird from middle school lesson plan because it 'makes people uncomfortable'

Harper Lee, the author of the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, died in 2016 at the age of 89

Harper Lee, the author of the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, died in 2016 at the age of 89

A Mississippi school district has removed To Kill A Mockingbird from the lesson plan

• A school district in Mississippi removed To Kill a Mockingbird from curriculum
  • The school board vice president said the language makes people 'uncomfortable'
  • The decision set Twitter ablaze with many saying it is censorship 

Published in 1960, the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by Harper Lee deals with racial inequality in a small Alabama town.

A message on the school's website says  To Kill A Mockingbird teaches students that compassion and empathy don't depend upon race or education. Holloway says other books can teach the same lessons.

[...]

A reader said: 'I think it is one of the most disturbing examples of censorship I have ever heard, in that the themes in the story humanize all people regardless of their social status, education level, intellect, and of course, race. It would be difficult to find a time when it was more relevant than in days like these.'

(Read more)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

The decision to remove the book from the curriculum set the internet ablaze in anger.

'To Kill a Mockingbird should be required reading. This is insane' one user wrote. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2  sandy-2021492    7 years ago

It's supposed to make people uncomfortable.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

It was adapted into one of Hollywood's greatest movies - but maybe the book-banners will make sure  nobody under 18 can watch it, because they might get "uncomfortable".

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
5  Skrekk    7 years ago

This certainly isn't the first time  “To Kill A Mockingbird” was removed from a school or a school district - it's always been one of the most challenged and banned books in US schools, especially in the south.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1  Gordy327  replied to  Skrekk @5    7 years ago
it's always been one of the most challenged and banned books in US schools, especially in the south.

I remember a Texas (no surprise) school district banned Harry Potter because it "promoted" witchcraft. Only in the South it seems.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
6  magnoliaave    7 years ago

I just don't understand this move.  This book has been required reading as it is brilliant.  If it makes some students uncomfortable....good because the message is clear. 

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
6.1  lennylynx  replied to  magnoliaave @6    7 years ago

Comment removed for CoC violations. [ph]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  lennylynx @6.1    7 years ago

I never said that.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
6.1.2  lennylynx  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.1    7 years ago

But you are agreeing with Virgil, who is.  You're right though, Buzz, so let me ask you which group you think is uncomfortable with this book and wants to ban it, conservatives or liberals, and it is one of them, this IS political.  Just asking the question so I understand your position, I hope you don't consider this an 'interrogation.'

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  lennylynx @6.1.2    7 years ago

I felt that this was true:

"...nobody writes offensive words, and they can dream of moonbeams and lollipops all day long while the government provides all their earthly needs and desires."

I put that the novel "makes people uncomfortable" which is no different in my mind from making prople run for their "safe spaces".  I put that together with whoever is uncomfortable with reading or hearing what "political correctness" tries to cover up. 

Suich people could be liberal or conservative or independant - I didn't politically label them nor will I for YOUR benefit.

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.1.4  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.3    7 years ago

That was quite a tap dance but you didn't answer lenny's simple question.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @6.1.4    7 years ago

I don't intend to. What are you and he going to do about that?

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
7  Cerenkov    7 years ago

I'll bet math makes those students uncomfortable too.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
9  magnoliaave    7 years ago

When Ms. Mitchell wrote "Gone With The Wind" she had one book that will survive forever.  No others worthwhile.  When Ms. Lee wrote "To Kill A Mockingbird" she, also, had one book that will survive forever.  I tried to read Ms Lee's last book "Go Set A Watchman" and couldn't finish it.  It was terrible, IMO.

It is ironic that both of these extraordinary books are under scrutiny.