╌>

Gettin' My Grandkids in a Disney World Frame of Mind

Category:  Photography & Art

By:  a-macarthur  •  7 years ago  •  73 comments

Gettin' My Grandkids in a Disney World Frame of Mind

We're going back at Christmas, and, my grandkids are ALWAYS in a Disney World Frame of Mind … but I did this for them nevertheless …

3disneyhollywoodstudioswaltdisneyworldagurmankin.jpg

© A. Mac/A.G.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
1  author  A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Welcome aboard!

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     7 years ago

Permission to board Captain.

As long as they don't play ''It's a Small World'' I'll attend.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
2.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Kavika @2    7 years ago

My grandkids and I have a number of jokes and memories regarding the "Small World" ride at WDW. 

You'd fit right in were you to join us at WDW!

Permission granted!

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.1  Studiusbagus  replied to  A. Macarthur @2.1    7 years ago
My grandkids and I have a number of jokes and memories regarding the "Small World" ride at WDW.

Oh goodness! So do we.

My wife and I went during "Mickey's Birthday Party"...later that evening we were back at the hotel room and getting frisky...just as it was getting interesting...the TV starts "Happy birthday...Happy Birthday Mickey" My wife came to a dead stop. "I feel like Walt is watching us...I can't do this"

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Studiusbagus @2.1.1    7 years ago

We visited Disney when my sister was still a baby.  She threw her bottle into the water on "It's a Small World".  The ride was stopped while the attendants tried to fish it out with a net.  My parents were so embarrassed, because it was obvious that we were the holdup.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @2    7 years ago

What I find hard to believe, but it's absolutely true, is that the street watering trucks here in China (in all 3 cities I've lived in) play "It's a Small World" out loud as they do their job.  I'm CONSTANTLY hearing it played. I enjoyed it when I first took my kids to Disney World, but now, I sympathize entirely with your comment. The only reprieve is at Christmas time, when they play "Jingle Bells" instead.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2    7 years ago

I would be wearing earplugs all of the time if I lived in China...LOL

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.2.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kavika @2.2.1    7 years ago

Ditto.  Even the Disney corporation made fun of how annoying it is, in "The Lion King".

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Now that is a boat I would love to take a cruise on. 

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1  JBB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    7 years ago

There are cruises, usually the big established lines, that get into port in the morning and disembark in time to be underway before the evening meal. Those are boring cruises. The smaller 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
4  author  A. Macarthur    7 years ago

The boat is actually a snack bar.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  Kavika   replied to  A. Macarthur @4    7 years ago

Do they serve fry bread?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
4.1.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Kavika @4.1    7 years ago

Probably not, but I will ask when I get back there.

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.2  Studiusbagus  replied to  Kavika @4.1    7 years ago
Do they serve fry bread?

You may have a better chance of seeing that at Epcot...

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Studiusbagus @4.1.2    7 years ago

Epcot it is.

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
5  Studiusbagus    7 years ago

Is that Cinderella's castle behind you in your avatar?

And I live here...I turn in to the world's biggest 12 year old every time we go there.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
5.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Studiusbagus @5    7 years ago

The Castle it is!

We have been going to WDW for years ... as long as my grandkids love it, we'll keep going ... but one of these years they will be off to college ... so, we will take them and take them and take them and the memories will be theirs forever.

I know I bitch a lot about some things, but my life is blessed.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @5.1    7 years ago

Surely you must take photos of your grandchildren enjoying the rides and facilities at DW. Why have you never shown us photos of them doing so?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
5.1.2  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.1    7 years ago

Mostly privacy ... But I will post some pictures of them from years past.

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
6  Studiusbagus    7 years ago

We were taking some friends' kids with us and I tortured them all the way from Tampa to Orlando.....driving along  "Okay, you see that?" and they'd be all wild eyed "Yeah we see it"  "That's not it"...LOL

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7  sandy-2021492    7 years ago

My aunt and uncle used to live in Cocoa Beach, and we visited them every year for vacation.  And every year for probably 6 or 7 years, I'd wheedle them and my parents into going to Disney World, back before it cost an arm and a leg, and before Epcot was built.  So much fun.

Capt. Cave Man
Freshman Silent
8  Capt. Cave Man    7 years ago

What ever park you go to, you will need fast passes.  If you don't get them, then your best bet is Epcot.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
8.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Capt. Cave Man @8    7 years ago

We are well-versed in the Fast Pass but I thank you for the input.

Capt. Cave Man
Freshman Silent
8.1.1  Capt. Cave Man  replied to  A. Macarthur @8.1    7 years ago

Just saying.  My Son works there, my mother and aunt retired there, and we go there quite often.  Good luck at Magic Kingdom or Animal Kingdom on a weekend, I would never go there then.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
9  author  A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Been to every WDW park on every day of the week for years; Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom are indeed the the weekend hotspots.

I have photographed almost every inch of WDW and have a gallery of photos on my website. But I always look for new viewpoints on oft-repeated subjects.

Capt. Cave Man
Freshman Silent
9.1  Capt. Cave Man  replied to  A. Macarthur @9    7 years ago

At the food and wine festival at Epcot last week!

Image may contain: one or more people, night and outdoor

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
9.1.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Capt. Cave Man @9.1    7 years ago

Thanks for the photo … feel free to share your pix any time!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Stay out of the ponds - the alligators aren't Disney cartoon characters.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
10.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10    7 years ago

They now have signs posted along all lakes and lagoons ... warning about alligators and snakes.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
10.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  A. Macarthur @10.1    7 years ago

There are two snakes that look harmless there, when I was a kid we learned a limerick that helped us remember which one of the two was dangerous, "Red and, yellow, nice fellow, Red and, black stay back" the one snake that has red next to black rings is poisonous.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
10.1.2  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @10.1.1    7 years ago

That refers to the Coral Snake (venomous) and look-alikes/mimics King Snake and Florida Scarlet Snake.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
10.1.3  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  A. Macarthur @10.1.2    7 years ago

Yes, don't play with the Coral snake. 

Capt. Cave Man
Freshman Silent
10.1.4  Capt. Cave Man  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @10.1.3    7 years ago

The thing about coral snakes is, they don't have fangs that can penetrate the skin, they say that they can only gnaw their way through your webbing between your fingers, or maybe your earlobe... I had one back on my pool deck years ago, killed it.. haven't seen another in all these years.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
10.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10    7 years ago

True, the gators there love poodles and, little kids and, not in a good way.

Nona62
Professor Silent
11  Nona62    7 years ago

Beautiful shot!!  I have never been to Disney World.  Will you take me nest time you go??     lol

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
11.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Nona62 @11    7 years ago

That would be nice ... I keep buying lottery tickets and one of the things I'd do with a big win, would be to put together a meet with NT friends at WDW!

Al-316
Professor Silent
12  Al-316    7 years ago

Walt Disney World, the happiest place on Earth. At least that is true for the Virginia part of my family.

For some unknown reason the Florida part of my family don't go to WDW and the California part of my family don't go to DL. I  don't understand those people.

Been to WDW numerous times and it was always great. Good clean family fun. That is rare these days.

Went on one Disney cruise and it, too, was great. On their private island, I went beach combing on the other side of a small barrier which I could step over and collected the many exotic shells and various types of coral which had washed up on the beach.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
12.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Al-316 @12    7 years ago
Went on one Disney cruise and it, too, was great. On their private island,

So did my son and I.  I think I could happily live on Castaway Cay, eating and snorkeling.

JBB
Professor Principal
13  JBB    7 years ago

Now that is a boat I would love to take a cruise on. 

After Daddy died I took Mom on a long cruise on one of the big formal cruise line that get into port in the morning and disembark in the late afternoon to sail during the night before formal dinners presided over by the captain. You would recognize the name. In any case, each evening as we were disembarking in time to dress for dinner our place in port was taken by a small pirate themed gay "Barefoot Cruise". The string quartet on our much much larger ship would be blased out of contention by the blaring strains of Donna Summer or The Pointer Sisters while everyone on deck the small ship way below us danced and hollared generally giving the impression that they were having the times of their lives. My ancient Mom looked down the many stories below at the revelers dancing and singing on that gay cruise and said, "I wish I was on that cruise line". Sorry for being off topic, but your comment reminded me of that and I still think it was funny...

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
13.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  JBB @13    7 years ago

Happy to have your comment!

JBB
Professor Principal
14  JBB    7 years ago

The happiness of the employees at Disney themed parks is strickly enforced. The unofficial employee motto is, "If you do not show up happy with a smile on your face ready to work and with a good attitude on Saturday then do not even bother coming in on Sunday morning"...

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
15  Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

I’m taking my kids, stepkids, grandkids and parents to Disney World in three weeks.  

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I May be broke afterward, but I plan on having great memories and lots of pics to show for it.

Capt. Cave Man
Freshman Silent
15.1  Capt. Cave Man  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @15    7 years ago
my kids, stepkids, grandkids and parents to Disney World

We actually did pretty good last time we went.  Under $200, not including admission, or the hotel room, and that was the food and wine fest!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
15.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Capt. Cave Man @15.1    7 years ago

I’m covering 7 days of resort accommodations for 16, two day park hopper tickets for 12, and airfare for 5.  It’s going to be a blast, but horrifically expensive.  The resort rooms have full kitchens, so we’ll be saving money by not eating out, but I’m guessing the total damage is going to top 10k when all is said and done.  Ouch.

Capt. Cave Man
Freshman Silent
15.1.2  Capt. Cave Man  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @15.1.1    7 years ago

Well, the weather has finally cooled down a bit for you, so that should be nice.  Good luck, I hope you and yours have a blast!  You'll have to put up some pics, especially of the new Avatar/Pandora place, I heard it's phenomenal!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
16  author  A. Macarthur    7 years ago

For years, we stayed at Wilderness Lodge, but in recent years half of the rooms have been converted to Vacation Club/Time Share … and the prices for regular rooms have gone out of sight.

Given that a whole industry has sprung up offering to get people out of their time shares, one has to wonder.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
19  Jeremy Retired in NC    7 years ago

Enjoy your vacation and you clean bill of health!!!!!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
19.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @19    7 years ago

Many thanks for your kindness ... I am glad to see you here.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
19.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  A. Macarthur @19.1    7 years ago

Like I said,  we argue from time to time, no grudges held. Glad everything come back good for you.

Enjoy your cruise and Disney! 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
20  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Although I took my family (and once even out kids' nanny as well) to WDW 3 times, it was long ago. I think the last time we went they had just opened Epcot center. One of the times wasn't as expensive, because they gave a good discount to Canadians - it was right after the "Canadian Caper" when Canada rescued some of the American hostages in Iran.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
21  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Although I took my family (and once even out kids' nanny as well) to WDW 3 times, it was long ago. I think the last time we went they had just opened Epcot center. One of the times wasn't as expensive, because they gave a good discount to Canadians - it was right after the "Canadian Caper" when Canada rescued some of the American hostages in Iran.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
22  author  A. Macarthur    7 years ago

My grandkids … they are now ages 13 and 15 … these are from the years we first started our trips to WDW.

agu_10.28.07SN35.jpg

© A. Mac/A.G.

IMG_0132.JPG

Here I am being my usual, fun-loving self.

Capt. Cave Man
Freshman Silent
22.2  Capt. Cave Man  replied to  A. Macarthur @22    7 years ago

Yup, they gave us those wristbands also.  They are very useful!