╌>

This Gay Couple Left Iran For A Better Life. Now They Wonder If It Can Last In America.

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  7 years ago  •  53 comments

This Gay Couple Left Iran For A Better Life. Now They Wonder If It Can Last In America.

irangays.jpeg

Nima Nia (left) and Ramin Haghjoo pose for a portrait at their August wedding.

WASHINGTON ― In the best-case scenario if Ramin Haghjoo and Nima Nia still lived in Iran, they would be married. Just not to each other ― to women, probably through arranged marriages. Perhaps they could have found women also attracted to their own gender and looking to hide the fact, like one of Haghjoo’s friends did. In a bleaker scenario, they would be dead or behind bars for the crime of being what they are: gay.

Instead, Haghjoo and Nia ended up in the United States, where they married each other in a joyful ceremony this August.

(Read it all)

Does anyone else here find it ironic that Evangelical Christians in the U.S. are trying to institute the same values in America as Iran's Theocracy has imposed on the people of Iran?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

The couple came to the U.S. as refugees several years ago, after fleeing Iran for Turkey. Things are better here in many ways, and they see their story as a hopeful one for other LGBTQ Iranians. They’re alive, they’re married, and they live openly as gay men.

But Haghjoo and Nia also find themselves in a country where the president tried to ban new refugees and immigrants from Iran and several other Muslim nations, on the argument that such people pose a threat to America’s safety. And they worry now about what will happen ― is already happening ― to LGBTQ people in a country under Republican rule.

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
1.1  Rex Block  replied to  Krishna @1    7 years ago

What's going to happen to them....probably nothing, if they are discrete and become obnoxious about it. I thought same sex marriage was legal here. Perhaps they want 100% approval and acceptance here in America. But that will never happen, since we are a diverse nation with all kinds of beliefs and values and social codes. Most Americans accept gays and lesbians and bi's, but that doesn't mean they approve of it or celebrate it, nor should they have to.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
1.1.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Rex Block @1.1    7 years ago
probably nothing, if they are discrete and become obnoxious about it.

What if they aren't "discrete" or "become obnoxious?"   Then what?  Who gets to decide what's "discete" and "obnoxious?"  You?  Roy Moore? 

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
1.1.2  Rex Block  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @1.1.1    7 years ago

Don't become obnoxious about it is what I meant to say. Why should they out and proud and loud about being queer. Like I said, be discreet. I don't need to know what their orientation is.

Junior Participates
1.1.4  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Rex Block @1.1.2    7 years ago
Why should they out and proud and loud about being queer. Like I said, be discreet. I don't need to know what their orientation is.

And if they want to be out and proud and don't care about what you need to know, then what? 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
2  Rmando    7 years ago

Please post a source where a nationally known "evangelical" is calling for execution of gay people. 

Most conservatives don't even support bringing back sodomy laws.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Rmando @2    7 years ago
Please post a source where a nationally known "evangelical" is calling for execution of gay people.

Sure-- no problema!

It's not like Mike Huckabee, Bobby Jindal, and Ted Cruz were unaware that the man who created and is hosting Freedom 2015 has advocated for gay to be executed. Pastor Kevin Swanson has a   startling history   of making such statements. Even ABC News' Jake Tapper Thursday night in an interview cornered Cruz on Swanson's beliefs – Cruz   wriggled out   of answering the question.

So today, Pastor Swanson took to the stage and told attendees once again that gays should be killed.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
2.1.1  Rmando  replied to  Krishna @2.1    7 years ago

Never heard of the guy before and he sounds like a full time nut. I'm sure if I look hard enough I can find sponsors of Democratic events with equally bizarre beliefs.

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
2.1.3  TOM PA  replied to    7 years ago

"...started by democrats.", who are today's republicans.  

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
2.1.4  Rmando  replied to  TOM PA @2.1.3    7 years ago

I'm pretty sure Robert Byrd was a lifelong Democrat.

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
2.1.5  TOM PA  replied to  Rmando @2.1.4    7 years ago

The party "platform" began to shift with Wm. J. Bryan bringing in a large number of "left wingers" around 1896.  Continued with Theodore Roosevelt and F.D.R. and later with L.B.J.  

Remember, "Google is your friend!"  

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.6  magnoliaave  replied to  TOM PA @2.1.3    7 years ago

In the South we don't have the KKK hanging around.  Never saw one in the life.  Look to Montana and Wyoming for starters.  We don't like the KKK nor the white supremists.  And, heavens, we don't have Neo Naziis either.  Maybe, they are closeted.  Who knows? 

We took away Democrats in AL right after the Wallace days.  Worked hard on that one.  So, now, some don't like Republicans in AL.....well, tough shit.  We are here to stay. 

Democrats of today are not Democrats of yesterday. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.1.7  Nowhere Man  replied to  TOM PA @2.1.5    7 years ago
Remember, "Google is your friend!"

Then post the linkage?

I"m sure there are a lot of people that would like to read about it.

Otherwise it is simply another unverified unsubstantiated personal belief.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.1.8  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  magnoliaave @2.1.6    7 years ago

You should go to Kings Mountain N.C., I know that they have Klan meetings there in the summer every year, I also know that the Klan is still alive and, well in the south. I use to live in Gastonia, N.C. when I was young and, this one Klansman kept leaving pamphlets at my door when I'd go to work, I finally caught him doing it and, sicked my dog on him, he never came back.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.9  MrFrost  replied to  Rmando @2.1.4    7 years ago
I'm pretty sure Robert Byrd was a lifelong Democrat.

David Duke. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.10  MrFrost  replied to    7 years ago
It was called the KKK it was started by democrats.

By comparison, Abraham Lincoln would be a far left wing liberal by today's standards. The parties have switched ideologies many times over the years. Saying that the dems started the KKK is factually true, but to suggest dems of today are exactly like the dems from the 1860's is not even remotely accurate. 

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.11  magnoliaave  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @2.1.8    7 years ago

This is the year 2017.   Does that give you a clue?

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
2.1.12  TOM PA  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.1.7    7 years ago

https:www.quora.com/is-it-true-that-the-democrats-used-to-be-the-conservative-party-and-republicans-used-to-be-the-progressive-party

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
2.1.13  TOM PA  replied to  TOM PA @2.1.12    7 years ago

I hope the link works?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.1.14  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  magnoliaave @2.1.11    7 years ago

Do you think Klansmen go around with, "I am a Klansman" tattooed on their foreheads?

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.15  magnoliaave  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @2.1.14    7 years ago

According to you they leave pamphlets.  I was born in the South and have lived in the South all of my life, except,when I lived in England and Mexico.

NEVER have I encountered nor even never read literature produced by  the KKK.  I have seen them in movies and TV.  Downright weird. 

They are same as  the black clad dudes you see at these protests.  One is as bad as the other. 

The South gets the rap for a lot of shit.  Actually, we just like to crab, fish and smell honeysuckles!

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.1.16  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  magnoliaave @2.1.15    7 years ago
Actually, we just like to crab, fish and smell honeysuckles!

I'm glad this is the south you know but, it isn't the whole south. Most of the Klansmen who have any power aren't known to be Klansmen because they aren't the foot troops of the Klan, they are the Roy Moore's of the Klan, they hold political office in the south, they run major business's in the south and, they donate money to campaigns in the south. How do you think people like George Wallace were able to run for office?

NEVER have I encountered nor even never read literature produced by the KKK. I have seen them in movies and TV. Downright weird.
They are same as the black clad dudes you see at these protests. One is as bad as the other.

Oh, yeah, they do print literature and, they do distribute it out to people, I have no idea why he put it on my door but, he learned real quick not to. The black clad dudes you see now are the ones that are todays Klansmen, the ones that came when Dukes took over, they are the foot troops, they are not the brains, those guys hide in the shadows and, work from there, you won't know they are Klan until or, if they take over, with Trump in office they think they have a "friend" in the White House, something they have never really had.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
2.1.17  Phoenyx13  replied to  Rmando @2.1.1    7 years ago
Never heard of the guy before and he sounds like a full time nut. I'm sure if I look hard enough I can find sponsors of Democratic events with equally bizarre beliefs.

now THIS is hilarious ! proof was asked for and provided - so you dismiss it and don't acknowledge it laughing dude

i'm also wondering if you think that particular person is the ONLY one too 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
2.1.18  Rmando  replied to  Phoenyx13 @2.1.17    7 years ago

Actually I asked for someone who is nationally known. Anybody can find a nut job  in some hole in the wall with a little effort.

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
2.1.19  Rex Block  replied to  Krishna @2.1    7 years ago

That just one person, not a consensus of most American citizens,  but most radical Muslims feel that way and do indeed kill them.

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
2.1.20  Rex Block  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.10    7 years ago

Democrats were the party of hatred and intolerance against minorities until well into the 20th century. Republicans had to fight them tooth and nail to get the Civil Rights Act of 1964 passed because of Democrat obstructionism. They Dems still are racist and intolerant for the most part.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
2.1.21  Phoenyx13  replied to  Rmando @2.1.18    7 years ago
Actually I asked for someone who is nationally known. Anybody can find a nut job  in some hole in the wall with a little effort.

Ok, maybe you should research things a bit more before looking so foolish. Pastor Kevin Swanson is a host on Generations Radio which they state on their website " Applying God’s word to the following six areas of family life, we equip families and churches around the world through our daily  radio programs discipleship resources curriculum events, and retreats . By God’s grace, we estimate we have been able to reach 100,000’s of people in all 50 states and at least 100 different countries." - i'm pretty sure that makes him nationally known (at the very least) - don't you ? in fact there's more on him if you just did your research first (seems to be a common theme - not doing any research)

(in their "About" section)

Would you like another example ? 

Pastor Roger Jimenez made this statement after the tragedy in Orlando happened:

" “People say, like: ‘Well, aren’t you sad that 50 sodomites died?’ ” Jimenez said, referencing the initial death toll in Orlando, which authorities later clarified included 49 victims plus the gunman. “Here’s the problem with that. It’s like the equivalent of asking me — what if you asked me: ​’Hey, are you sad that 50 pedophiles were killed today?’ “Um, no, I think that’s great. I think that helps society. You know, I think Orlando, Fla., is a little safer tonight.” and he later added - " “I wish the government would round them all up, put them up against a firing wall, put the firing squad in front of them and blow their brains out.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2016/06/14/pastor-refuses-to-mourn-orlando-victims-the-tragedy-is-that-more-of-them-didnt-die/?utm_term=.18248a2617f9

do you need more examples ? (denial seems to be rather popular with certain people)

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
2.1.22  Rmando  replied to  Phoenyx13 @2.1.21    7 years ago

If I have to do "research" on him, that means he isn't much of a well known figure, is he? Sounds more like someone left wing hate groups track so they can spend all day igniting the shooter in the Orlando massacre (which you mentioned in your reply so don't accuse me of changing the subject) was in fact a devout Muslim killing in the name of Allah- which pretty much refutes to point the thread seeder was trying to make about Christians in this country being worse than the jihadists and radicals in Iran and elsewhere.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
2.1.23  Phoenyx13  replied to  Rmando @2.1.22    7 years ago
f I have to do "research" on him, that means he isn't much of a well known figure, is he?

the only "research" you needed to do was to ascertain if he was nationally known or not - guess what ? he is !

Sounds more like someone left wing hate groups track so they can spend all day igniting the shooter in the Orlando massacre (which you mentioned in your reply so don't accuse me of changing the subject) was in fact a devout Muslim killing in the name of Allah- which pretty much refutes to point the thread seeder was trying to make about Christians in this country being worse than the jihadists and radicals in Iran and elsewhere.

really ? so a christian stating - " “I wish the government would round them all up, put them up against a firing wall, put the firing squad in front of them and blow their brains out.” - is evidence that the "left wing" is ignoring information on the shooter and stating that christians are worse than jihadists ? seriously ? do you always enjoy pretzels ? this christian pastor plainly stated “I wish the government would round them all up, put them up against a firing wall, put the firing squad in front of them and blow their brains out.” - did you miss that or are you intentionally ignoring it so you can claim christians are such sweet, innocent religious people ? seems to me they are both in the same boat - but you can't seem to accept that, i've now found an additional "nationally known "evangelical" is calling for execution of gay people" (your statement) and you wish to deflect to muslims instead.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
2.1.24  96WS6  replied to  TOM PA @2.1.3    7 years ago

LMAO keep telling yourself that.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.25  Sparty On  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @2.1.16    7 years ago
I'm glad this is the south you know but, it isn't the whole south.

Good lord, are all the people in the region you identify with well adjusted, good people?   Or course not.

It's irrational stereotyping like this that basically destroys any possibility of reasonable discussion among folks who are not of like mind.

I'm a Northerner but have spend quite a bit of time in the south.   Generally speaking i have found the south to be pleasant place with pleasant, caring people just like where i live.   Of course I didn't attend any klan rally's but i didn't i attend any antifa meetings either.

Plenty of intolerance to go around on both sides of the fence and that is a large part of the problem.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
2.1.26  Rmando  replied to  Phoenyx13 @2.1.23    7 years ago

You brought up the Orlando shooting so I'm not deflecting. You are just convienently igniting facts you don't want to address. The point is the idea that most Christians here would treat a gay couple worse than the Iranians would is absurd. Whatever extremists you can find to justify your obvious anti Christian bigotry is on you.

Junior Participates
2.1.27  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Rmando @2.1.26    7 years ago

Just curious, how does one ignite a fact?  Does it just take a match or is an accelerant needed?  Can facts then be used to barbecue?  Oh, and I just notice your reference to igniting the Orlando shooter in another comment so now I'm wondering what you use for a dictionary. 

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
2.1.28  Phoenyx13  replied to  Rmando @2.1.26    7 years ago
You brought up the Orlando shooting so I'm not deflecting. You are just convienently igniting facts you don't want to address. The point is the idea that most Christians here would treat a gay couple worse than the Iranians would is absurd. Whatever extremists you can find to justify your obvious anti Christian bigotry is on you.

I brought up the nationally known christian pastor who publicly called for the execution of gay people - not the Orlando shooting nor muslims like you did, so it was you that deflected. i never said they would treat them worse - i said they are in the same boat and its not limited solely to extremists for either religion - face the facts, your precious religion is just as guilty as theirs is.

(btw, as stated numerous times - i have no bigotry towards religion in general, you are free to believe what you want, but don't put yourself under any delusions that christians are just sweet and loving innocent people when you have nationally known christian pastors - more than one - publicly calling for the execution of gay people and using the religion as the reason, just like other religions have done and do -- learn to face facts and deal with it)

96WS6
Junior Quiet
2.1.29  96WS6  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.10    7 years ago

Yea the Democratic party desperately tries to re write iit's history and hide its agenda for those ignorant enough to believe it.    Lindon Johnson knew what he was talking about when he said "I will have those Niggers voting Democrat for 200 years".   He had a very clear vision of the party.   Not hard to see which party constantly seeks to keep the poor under their thumb, on the dole, and therefore constituents, for anyone that is paying attention either.

Junior Participates
2.1.30  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to    7 years ago
It was called the KKK it was started by democrats.

It was started by Southern traitors to the United States. 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
2.1.31  Rmando  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.1.27    7 years ago

Blame auto correct for mistaking ignoring for igniting. And yes, it would've been good for somebody to have ignited the Orlando shooter and put him in the burn ward before he killed fifty people.

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.32  CB  replied to  Rex Block @2.1.20    7 years ago
They Dems still are racist and intolerant for the most part.

Yeah, no. Saying it often or from time to time does not make it so. I can get along with the occasional democratic party "hater" and spiteful bigot, but the Republican Party which strives to hold all our citizenry chained to 19th-century rules and standards really needs to advance or quit!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.33  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.1.30    7 years ago

who happened to be Democrats.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.34  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.1.7    7 years ago
I"m sure there are a lot of people that would like to read about it.

There's really not much point in posting links. Most people here think they know it all, so they won't bother to click on a link.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.1.35  Nowhere Man  replied to  TOM PA @2.1.12    7 years ago
https:www.quora.com/is-it-true-that-the-democrats-used-to-be-the-conservative-party-and-republicans-used-to-be-the-progressive-party

That gives me the HTML 404 error = page not found.....

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
2.1.36  Old Hermit  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.1.35    7 years ago

That gives me the HTML 404 error = page not found.....

Try this link NwM;

Is it true that Democrats used to be the conservative party and Republicans used to be the progressive party? I'm sure the whole truth is more complex than two parties switching their main ideologies, but what is the truth?

This question previously had details. They are now in a comment.

Murray Godfrey, U.S. History Professor
Updated Jun 3, 2015 · Upvoted by Marc Bodnick, Former PhD student in Political Science

I teach history for a living. What you've learned is accurate.

Understanding this has to do more with understanding U.S. political history in general.

The republicans were a new party in Lincoln's day. They were a conglomeration of various northern former Whig constituencies and people that wanted to develop the west that coalesced due to issues surrounding slavery. Generally speaking, they retained a lot of the older Whig economic views that the government should be involved in the economy. It should promote policies that promote growth, they thought. That meant financing infrastructure, education, protecting native industries, policies that promoted commerce and rapid job growth. They did believe in more federal involvement in all these things, and it cost money. They were the forward looking, innovative party, and also vaguely speaking they were the "big government" party and had policies that promoted big banks, big industry, big business.

More to the answer at the linked site.

The "Quora " site can be fun. 

Folk submit a question to the crowd and the most popular answers get pride of place in the forum.

Like this question about the change in the D & R parties over time, several answers have been given, the one I linked just happens to be the most liked at this point in time.

I check the site daily.

Durn! Just after I got my post done Quora started have site trouble. 

Oh well, , well eventually work.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.1.37  Nowhere Man  replied to  Old Hermit @2.1.36    7 years ago

Thank you, yes in general it is accurate but is a lot more complicated than his gloss over for brevity. the most like response does add some detail but is still a skimming.....

Wiki has a good section on the history of the GOP which outlines a lot of this also in a bit more depth but I question the most recent commentary....

I have researched the bibliography of the wiki posting as far as historical accuracy and sources and find it for the most part well documented. (at least for everything through Reagan, after than it starts to wander as the history isn't really settled yet)

The Republican and Democrat parties for most of our political existence each had two sides a conservative side and a liberal side. the conservative side of the democrat party was expulsed in '68 and the liberal side of the Republican party was supposedly expulsed in 2004. (that is when it started and is still ongoing though isn't complete yet)

But it also covers naming the "Liberal" side of the republican party amongst which was one senator Prescott Bush of Connecticut, Father of GHW Bush and Grandfather of GW Bush.  Which places then clearly on the liberal side of the party. Also it covers why I refer to them as liberal Establishment Republicans.

All well documented with sources I would trust a lot more than Quora.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
4  96WS6    7 years ago

Gee maybe they should go back to Iran to jog their memory.  Most ridiculous article I have seen in quite some time.

CB
Professor Principal
5  CB    7 years ago

Does anyone else here find it ironic that Evangelical Christians in the U.S. are trying to institute the same values in America as Iran's Theocracy has imposed on the people of Iran?

I'd like to "vote" this statement up. The comparison is startling. (A break-through, I am back to commenting! My self-imposed quiet has been ended!)

96WS6
Junior Quiet
5.2  96WS6  replied to  CB @5    7 years ago

Sorry but Muslims kill gays and in Iran they are put to death.  Another off the mark Christian bashing statement.  Congratulations on promoting and nurturing your bigotry.

CB
Professor Principal
5.2.1  CB  replied to  96WS6 @5.2    7 years ago

Go figure out the intents of your Republican Party on your own, I have. Why should I 'twist in the wind' with every nuance in this? Please, figure out your parties "end-game."  Come to conclusions. Observe patterns.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
5.2.2  96WS6  replied to  CB @5.2.1    7 years ago

OK first you were supporting a statement that lumped Christians together and now you are lumping the Republicans together the same way.  Perhaps you think they are the same?   Regardless we are done here.  BTW I figured out the intentions of the Democratic party a long time ago.  Perhaps you should take your own advice on your own party.

CB
Professor Principal
5.2.3  CB  replied to  96WS6 @5.2.2    7 years ago

1.  Foiled in the United States, Anti-Gay Evangelicals Spread Hate in Africa

2.  Who Is The Mysterious Lawyer Behind California’s ‘Kill All Gays’ Drive?

Sorry, I thought you knew the background of conservatism/evangelicalism in this country and the world as relates to homosexuals. Read it for yourself, please.