╌>

Famous Photographers Series - Part 3 - Margaret Bourke-White

Category:  Photography & Art

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  7 years ago  •  17 comments

Margaret Bourke-White was an American photographer and documentary photographer. She is best known as the first foreign photographer permitted to take pictures of the Soviet five-year plan, the first American female war photojournalist, and to have her photograph on the cover of the first issue of Life magazine. (Wikipedia)

MBW 0.jpg

This is the third of a series of famous photographers, and I will continue producing them for a while because there are and have been many great photographers. Most of them have taken hundreds if not thousands of photos, but I will be making as varied a selection of their works as I can and will only post 20 to 30 of their works so as not to become too repetetive and, hopefully, not producing a boring article. In this case there are 25 photos to see below:

1.   She did photojournalism in India at the time of the conflict with Pakistan, capturing a number of photos of Mahatma Gandhi.

MBW 1.jpg

2.   In her collection are many depression era photos.

MBW 2.jpg

3.   As I get queezy at heights, I'm uncomfortable even looking at photos like these.

MBW 3.jpg

4.   She started her career as an industrial photographer.

MBW 4.jpg

5.   Coal Miners.

MBW 5.jpg

6.   She accompanied the American soldiers as a war photojournalist when they liberated Buchenwald. I chose the LEAST graphic of her photos so you would not lose your appetite.

MBW 6.jpg

7.   Women wartime workers doing industrial washing.

MBW 7.jpg

MBW 8.jpg

MBW 9.jpg

10.   She was the first American photojournalist permitted to take photos in the Soviet Union.

MBW 10.jpg

11.   Bread line. One of the most ironic photos I've ever seen.

MBW 11.jpg

12.   Another depression era photo.

MBW 12.jpg

13.   Migration.

MBW 13.jpg

MBW 14.jpg

15.   One of her many LIFE covers.

MBW 15.jpg

16.    For me, another queezy feeling.

MBW 16.jpg

17.    The photo that made her famous.  The photo of this dam was the cover photo of the first LIFE magazine.

MBW 17.jpg

MBW 18.jpg

19.   Hats worn bey everyone in the garment district.

MBW 19.jpg

MBW 20.jpeg

21.   Improvisation during a flood.

MBW 21.jpg

MBW 22.jpeg

MBW 23.jpg

MBW 24.jpg

MBW 25.jpg

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

The next Famous Photographers photo-essay will be the iconic B&W photography of Ansel Adams.

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
2  Old Hermit    7 years ago

I'm really enjoying this, "Famous Photographers", trip you're taking us on Buzz. 

Thanks!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Old Hermit @2    7 years ago

Thanks, I appreciate your comment.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
3  Neetu2    7 years ago

Love this article, Buzz! The fascinating and brilliant photography of this photographer reflects an amazing vision. Thanks for sharing Margaret Bourke's work!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Neetu2 @3    7 years ago

Thanks, Neetu. I might do a second one of her work because (as you can see in a subsequent comment) I discovered an incredible site with almost 7000 of her photos.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
3.1.1  Neetu2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    7 years ago

Her work is fascinating, Buzz. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     7 years ago

What a wonderful series your posting Buzz. 

Is there a caption or information on photos 8 and 22? I found them to be especially intriguing. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @4    7 years ago

I just spent hours looking for those photos again on the internet. In fact I skimmed through about 7000 of her photos. I couldn't find no. 22 again but I did find the Inuit photo. I could not get particulars on it, but on the site I used there were a few similar photos, and they were all taken in July of 1937 at Coppermine (now named Kugliaktuk), North West Territories. At that time they were called Eskimos.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    7 years ago

Thanks for all the work you've done searching out number 8 and 22...Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
5  magnoliaave    7 years ago

Loved seeing them.  "Improvisation" really is interesting.  The man dressed for the office rowing what looks like washtubs!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  magnoliaave @5    7 years ago

If Dowser reads this, that photo was taken during the floods in Louisville, Kentucky.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
6  A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Buzz has become the NT Chronicler of Classic Photography!

While an outstanding effort in-and-of-itself …

… it provides the sanity often missing from the FP!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @6    7 years ago

Lately the only things I do on the front page on politics and religion topics are intended to bait a certain newer member who stalks and attacks me, and he has already earned at least one unintended vacation for doing so, but still won't lay off of me.  I'm enjoying doing these Famous Photographer articles  so much (because I love the photos) I will be doing a lot more of them, and since so few people dare to try my classic movie quiz I'll be spending most of my time with photography.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
6.2  Neetu2  replied to  A. Macarthur @6    7 years ago

Agreed!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  author  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

I made an error describing no. 5.  They are gold miners in the Johannesburg, South Africa, area in 1950.

I found the most incredible web site that has almost 7000 of her photos.  I only skimmed them this morning but I intend to go through them slowly, reading the descriptions (have to click on the photo for complete description).  It is an amazing collection - I saw many I would have posted instead of some of the ones I did, but perhaps I'll do a second article on more of her photos, with descriptions.  The site is:

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8  author  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

It was on this day (in America), November 23 1936, that LIFE Magazine released their first issue, with the cover being a photo by Margaret Bourke-White of the Fort Peck Dam.

LIFE 1st.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8    7 years ago

What will a dime get you today? LOL