╌>

Catching Fish … Optional … Fishing Together with My Grandson … Paramount!

Category:  Photography & Art

By:  a-macarthur  •  7 years ago  •  52 comments

Catching Fish … Optional … Fishing Together with My Grandson … Paramount!

grandfatherandgrandsonnightfishingagurmankinnasa.jpg

Fishing with My Grandson Under a Night Sky (Digital Art)

© A. Mac/A.G.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
1  author  A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Life is good … catching fish is merely incidental.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.1  Spikegary  replied to  A. Macarthur @1    7 years ago

I get to spend time at the lake with Great nieces and Nephews-some of the best time there is.

Thanks for the picture and the thought it carries.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    7 years ago

Awesome!

I missed the annual fishing trip because of my ankle

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
2.2  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    7 years ago

Sorry to hear that.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3  author  A. Macarthur    7 years ago

I haven't shown the picture to the family yet … I just finished it this morning … when the kids are home from school I will send it via text message.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
3.1  sixpick  replied to  A. Macarthur @3    7 years ago
when the kids are home from school I will send it via text message.

I assume you mean when they come to visit.  That will be a big surprise with everyone sitting around and all of a sudden everyone gets a text message.  Beautiful!!!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  sixpick @3.1    7 years ago

I wasn't clear; I meant when they got home from school (yesterday afternoon) I would send the picture via text ... I did not want to distract them while they were in class.

My daughter (their mother of course) said her eyes teared up when she saw her "little boy" (who is now in high school).

Anyway? Thank you for your kind words, Six.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
4  author  A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Should anyone inquire as to how I was able to photograph myself while fishing with my grandson … camera on tripod, focus on my grandson, set self-timer to 5 seconds, run like hell to get next to him in order to be in the photo.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     7 years ago

Were you ''Moon Fishing''?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
5.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Kavika @5    7 years ago

We were going for STARfish.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
7  magnoliaave    7 years ago

That is a very beautiful photo!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
7.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  magnoliaave @7    7 years ago

Thank you for your kind words.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
8  Larry Hampton    7 years ago

Great shot A Mac; those are memories that will last forever.

This summer we spent a week on Middle Cullen lake in Minnesota celebrating my Father-in-Law's 80th birthday.

My Brother-in-Law and his boys, all avid fisherman, came up from Texas and it wasn't until the last day they were there that they had some luck landing some walleyes. I got a decent shot of Jeff landing this reasonable sized walleye ,which we later enjoyed for supper...

IMG_0511.JPG

The shots of Jake on shore watching his son land this beauty, wishing his 80 year old body would allow him to jump in the small fishing vessel and share in the adventure, are my favorites though...

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
8.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Larry Hampton @8    7 years ago

Larry,

The fish is not a Walleye … it's a Tiger Muskellunge!

Nice fish … thanks for the photos and story.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
8.1.1  Larry Hampton  replied to  A. Macarthur @8.1    7 years ago

Thanks A Mac for the info; I couldn't figure out if it was a walleye or a musky!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
8.1.2  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Larry Hampton @8.1.1    7 years ago

No problem; because Muskies grow to large lengths, check the local size limits before keeping them. Walleyes may get to be as long as 24" or more, but I am quite sure the legal keeper size will be less than that of a Musky … wouldn't want a field officer to hit you with a fine for an undersized fish.

Eating-wise … Walleyes are better than Muskies and not as bony.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Larry Hampton @8.1.1    7 years ago

The minimum length to keep a muskie is 48 inches Larry, it was recently changed to 55 inches by the governor in MN.

But IMO that isn't a tiger muskie, it's a northern pike. 

So I won't turn you in to the DNR.Wink

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.5  Kavika   replied to  Release The Kraken @8.1.4    7 years ago

Geez BF, I am an expert.....Born and raised in MN and caught hundreds of northern pike and muskie. Being an expert is one of my many talents. winking  

The most embarrassing thing is Larry living in MN and doesn't know what a walleye looks like...LMAO, sorry Larry I couldn't resist that one. Next time I'm in MN I'll take you fishing for walleye. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.7  Kavika   replied to  Release The Kraken @8.1.6    7 years ago

I always forgive fish, Bad Fish, not so much...LOLOLOL

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
8.1.8  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Kavika @8.1.3    7 years ago

I'll concede the Northern Pike attribution on the basis of the horizontal rows of spots … BUT … the vertical banding tells me it's a hybrid … Tiger Musky/Northern Pike.

We'll never know 'cause they ate it!

FYI: The tiger muskie is the result of the true muskellunge (Esox   masquinongy ) and the northern pike (Esox   lucius ) interbreeding. The tiger muskie has some of the characteristics of both fish. Tiger muskie, like pike and muskellunge, have long, cylindrical-shaped bodies. Their dorsal and ventral   fins   are located far back near the tail and are lobe-shaped. The caudal fins of the tail are more rounded than those of true muskies.They have skinny and compressed heads and the bottom jaw is elongated with an upward curve, known as a duckbill-shape. Its pattern is varying amounts of color with vertical dark stripes and spots on a light background, the opposite color scheme of a northern pike. The tiger muskie has 5 or 6 chin pores per side on the lower jaw.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.9  Kavika   replied to  A. Macarthur @8.1.8    7 years ago

It's possible that Larry ate an illegal fish.....911

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
8.1.10  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Kavika @8.1.9    7 years ago

Maybe not … I'd speculate that the Tiger Musky is smaller than True Musky.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
8.1.11  Larry Hampton  replied to  A. Macarthur @8.1    7 years ago

We went round-n-round trying to figure out what sorta creature it was...my father-in-law thought northern pike, the brother-in-law though musky, and the family that rents out the cabin suggested it was a mixture of species. It was tasty for sure, though it was hard to get all the bones out. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
8.1.12  Larry Hampton  replied to  Kavika @8.1.5    7 years ago

Kavika I'm gonna hold ya to that buddy!

:~)

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.13  Kavika   replied to  Larry Hampton @8.1.12    7 years ago

it a deal, Larry. You bring the beer.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
8.1.14  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Kavika @8.1.13    7 years ago

Are Catch & Release Fly Fishermen invited?

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.15  Kavika   replied to  A. Macarthur @8.1.14    7 years ago

Without a doubt they/you are.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
9  lady in black    7 years ago

Fishing stories....

I still hold the record in my family for most fish caught in an hour.....31 at Barnum Pond in the Adirondacks.

My late son caught what he thought was a northern pike but was a muskie, it was a keeper but had to throw it back because it was caught six days before the opening of muskie season on the Niagara River.

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1  Kavika   replied to  lady in black @9    7 years ago

Hi Lady, what type of fish were they?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
9.1.1  lady in black  replied to  Kavika @9.1    7 years ago

Sunnies and crappies

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
9.1.2  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  lady in black @9.1.1    7 years ago

The Francis A. Walter Dam in the Pocono Mountains  is at the confluence of the Lehigh River and Bear Creek; in years after release of water to enable white water rafting and kayaking, the exposed bottom gives access to fishermen and even parking space for vehicles.

During one such drawdown, I caught 13 smallmouth bass on 13 consecutive casts and stripping of a small dry fly! None of the bass were bigger than 12", but on a fly rod, every smallie is an adventure.

Then there are summers like this past one during which I didn't catch 13 smallies in total after early June.

As it has been noted … "It's called 'fishing,' not 'catching'!"

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10  Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Great photos Mac. What a lovely way to preserve the magic of the day.

ausmth
Freshman Silent
11  ausmth    7 years ago

“Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.  
I am haunted by waters.”  
  Norman Maclean ,   A River Runs Through It and Other Stories

“In our family, there was no clear line between religion and fly fishing. We lived at the junction of great trout rivers in western Montana, and our father was a Presbyterian minister and a fly fisherman who tied his own flies and taught others. He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”  
  Norman Maclean ,   A River Runs Through It and Other Stories

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
11.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  ausmth @11    7 years ago

Perfect comment for this discussion; I have seen the film several times and have discussed the metaphor a number of times as well.

Thanks for posting the quote.

ausmth
Freshman Silent
11.1.1  ausmth  replied to  A. Macarthur @11.1    7 years ago

Thanks AMac.

I have great memories of fishing with my grandkids and many fishing trips with my grandfather.  It's an amazing bond!

I attend a small church that is inside Bennett Spring State park where my favorite trout stream is.  The church precedes the park by seven years. Opening day last year I read the second quote from the pulpit.  It brought the expected reaction since I give visitors a dry fly I tie.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
12  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

My daughter wasn't much interested in fishing, and my son was more interested in being a rockhound when we were at our lakeside home in the Haliburton Highlands of Ontario.  My father was a great fisherman - always took me with him, and I learned to love fishing from him. However, contrary to A.Mac's credo, I have always been a 'catch and eat' fisherman, rather than a 'catch and release' one (except for undersized fish). That way there was double the pleasure.

I have the fondest memories of the days on my dock with a Heineken in one hand and a rod in the other:

Fishing.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
15  Kavika     7 years ago

It's a beautiful photo Mac, and to us grandfathers priceless.