╌>

Anyone for crickets? Finnish bakery sells bread made from insects

Category:  Wine & Food

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  7 years ago  •  6 comments

By Reuters in Helsinki, November 23 2017

Fazer in Helsinki claims to be first store in world to offer insect bread, which contains about 70 crickets ground up into flour

crickets 1.jpg

A poster promoting bread made from insects. Photograph: STAFF/Reuters

A Finnish bakery has launched what it claims to be the world’s first insect-based bread to be offered to consumers in stores.

The bread, made using flour ground from dried crickets as well as wheat flour and seeds, has more protein than normal wheat bread. Each loaf contains about 70 crickets and costs €3.99 (£3.55), compared with €2-3 for a regular wheat loaf.

“It offers consumers a good protein source and also gives them an easy way to familiarise themselves with insect based food,” said Juhani Sibakov, the head of innovation at the bakery firm Fazer.

crickets 2.jpg

Flour ground from dried crickets, left, alongside crickets, at the Fazer bakery, Helsinki. Photograph: Staff/Reuters

The demand to find more food sources and a desire to treat animals more humanely have raised interest in using insects as a protein source in western countries.

The worm has turned: how British insect farms could spawn a food revolution

Finland, in November, joined five other European countries – Britain, the Netherlands, Belgium, Austria and Denmark – in allowing insects to be raised and marketed for food use.

Sibakov said Fazer developed the bread last summer and waited for legislation to be passed in Finland for the launch.

“I don’t taste the difference ... It tastes like bread,” said Sara Koivisto, a student from Helsinki, after trying the product.

Due to a limited supply of crickets, the bread will initially be sold in 11 Fazer bakery stores in Helsinki hypermarkets, but the company plans to offer it in all its 47 stores by next year.

The company buys its cricket flour from the Netherlands, but said it was looking for local suppliers. Fazer, a family business with sales of about €1.6bn last year, did not give a sales target for the product.

Insect eating, or entomophagy, is common in much of the world. The UN estimated last year that at least 2 billion people eat insects, and more than 1,900 species have been used for food.

Edible bugs are gaining traction in niche markets in western countries, particularly among those seeking a gluten-free diet or wanting to protect the environment because farming insects uses less land, water and feed than other animal husbandry.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

And I had thought the Chinese were the only civilized people who ate insects. They eat cooked cicadas (the noisy ones in the trees).  I've been offered a taste but I can't bring myself to do it.

Would YOU eat insects?

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
1.1  Old Hermit  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    7 years ago

Well, insects certainly are abundant and, (with planning & proper preparation), could serve a useful place in our food chain but I think it'll take several generations of reprogramming before we knowingly chose to eat them here in America. 

But the true answer to your, " Would YOU eat insects?", is a YES because we already do.

People also ask

How many insects are allowed in food products?
The handbook allows for up to 13 “fragments” of rodent excreta in a 24-ounce container. The government permits three maggots in your 28-ounce can of tomatoes. In a regular-sized 16-ounce jar of peanut butter, the FDA will allow up to 136 insect fragments and four rodent hairs.Nov 7, 2015

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Old Hermit @1.1    7 years ago
Here's How Much Mouse Poop, Maggots, and Cigarette Butts the FDA ...

This is one thing I do not wish to know about any of my food, I find it gross enough without any real facts getting in the way.

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
1.1.2  Old Hermit  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1.1    7 years ago
I find it gross enough without any real facts getting in the way.

It is kind of upsetting to see it in print isn't.  (smile)

Let's just hope that this current administration doesn't  screw up the FDA as badly as they have so many of our other important agencies. 

I mean, who would want more Cigarette Butts in their food just because one of Trump's minions rolled back our food safety rules because they went into effect during the Obama administration?  lol

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2  Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

My brother gives me gag gifts at Christmas, which usually include some kind of edible bug concoction from an ethnic food store.  At the last place I worked, we had a table where we could put anything intended for public consumption, so I brought in some chocolate covered crickets.  I warned everyone what it was, but the secretary hadn’t arrived yet so she didn’t get the message.  Nobody would touch them, but later in the morning I see her over there munching on them.  It then occurred to me that she didn’t know what it was.  I told her, expecting her to violently spit them out and slap me.  To my surprise she grabbed another handful and said they were really good.  Then everyone else dug in, except me.  I just can’t bring myself to eat bugs.  You could clearly see the legs on these things poking out of the chocolate.  They were gone by lunch.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2    7 years ago

Maybe I should try eating a roasted Cicada.