╌>

I counted Eleven

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

By:  trout-giggles  •  7 years ago  •  49 comments

I counted Eleven

I got up a little before 4 this morning and went outside to see if the Geminid meteor shower was still in progress. In the time it took me to drink a heated up cup of coffee and smoke 2 cigarettes I counted 10. I saw 2 or 3 very bright shooting stars. I saw another one on my way to work.

I was looking north from the front porch where I counted the 10. The porch has a roof so I didn't have a view of the entire sky. The one I saw on my way to work was in the South Western sky.

Did any of you watch it?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1  author  Trout Giggles    7 years ago

I wish these showers would happen on a Friday or Saturday night....

bccrane
Freshman Silent
2  bccrane    7 years ago

-7 F and a slight breeze well no.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Trout Giggles  replied to  bccrane @2    7 years ago

Do you live in the frozen North East?

bccrane
Freshman Silent
2.1.1  bccrane  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1    7 years ago

Frozen midwest

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.2  author  Trout Giggles  replied to  bccrane @2.1.1    7 years ago

Almost as bad. I grew up in Western PA. Now I live in pleasant Arkansas

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     7 years ago

I didn't get out of bed until 8 am....Missed it all. 

I'll do what I can to get the showers on the weekend, Trout. Right now I need another cup of coffee.

It's Kona Koffee time.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1  author  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @3    7 years ago

If I didn't have to get up to go to work, I would have stayed in bed, too. Maybe. I might have gotten up just to watch and then gone back to bed.

Anyway....let me know when you get that weekend thingy worked out. Thanks!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.2  author  Trout Giggles  replied to    7 years ago

What's it to you?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5  Sparty On    7 years ago

Not much to see, even  in-between lake effect snow shower bands here in N. Michigan

Starting to stack up a little, about 12" at my house in the last two days.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
6  Sunshine    7 years ago

where are you Sparty?  freezing our butts off in lower MI.  14 degrees right now.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1  Sparty On  replied to  Sunshine @6    7 years ago

I live near the Cherry capital of the world.   Lake effect snow is our life this time of year.   Looks to be an active one this year since the lakes are so warm.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
7  lady in black    7 years ago

16 degrees here in Buffalo, NY.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1  author  Trout Giggles  replied to  lady in black @7    7 years ago

Stay warm!

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8  Freefaller    7 years ago

Only saw 7 here but it was combined with the Northern Lights.  Was a bit brisk at -5 and a slight breeze.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1  author  Trout Giggles  replied to  Freefaller @8    7 years ago

I miss the Northern Lights. We would see them in Eielson when it got really, really, cold. when it was too cold for clouds LOL!

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1    7 years ago

Eielson is more north than me and would definitely be great for watching the lights.  We've been lucky for the past week or so as they've put on a show near every night it wasn't cloudy (we're in the middle of a warm spell so it's been cloudier than normal).

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
8.1.2  Uncle Bruce  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1    7 years ago

Saw them once as a kid when we lived in Fairbanks.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.3  author  Trout Giggles  replied to  Freefaller @8.1.1    7 years ago

Do you live in Alaska?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.4  author  Trout Giggles  replied to  Uncle Bruce @8.1.2    7 years ago

One night somebody starts running thru the dorm yelling that we all need to go outside RIGHT NOW!

He wanted to make sure we didn't miss the lights.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.1.5  Freefaller  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.3    7 years ago

Nope I'm over in northern Alberta, about the same latitude as the very southern tip of Alaska

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.6  author  Trout Giggles  replied to  Freefaller @8.1.5    7 years ago

I crossed Alberta on my way back from Alaska in 1990. We drove the Alcan highway and stayed at the Edmonton Mall for 2-3 days. It took us about a week to drive from Eielson AFB to Edmonton.

That's when I fell in love with Canadians. Do you know you are the nicest people in the whole world? Of course, the only other foreign country I've been to is Mexico, but I was paying people to be nice to me.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.1.7  Freefaller  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.6    7 years ago

Lol if you think Albertans are nice (and we are) you gotta visit the east coast, they take nice to a whole new level.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.8  author  Trout Giggles  replied to  Freefaller @8.1.7    7 years ago

Some day I hope I go on Ellen and win an all expense paid vacay to Nova Scotia. :)

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.1.9  Freefaller  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.8    7 years ago

Best o luck to you on that

TTGA
Professor Silent
8.1.10  TTGA  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1    7 years ago
We would see them in Eielson when it got really, really, cold. when it was too cold for clouds LOL!

Or when it was too cold for Oxygen to remain gaseous.  From the Upper Michigan singing group, Da Yoopers.

"The weatherman says it's too cold to snow.  I look out the window and I know that he's lyin'; it's twenty below and the snow's still flyin'."

Got down to about 4 degrees for a while last night with much snow here in Southern Michigan.  I'm down between Grand Rapids and Lansing, while Sparty is about 150 miles farther north.  We're catching it in both places.  Usually this doesn't happen until January, but, like Florida, we're on a peninsula.  That makes it hard to predict the weather with any degree of certainty.  Weathermen here don't need to be scientists, they need to be magicians.

Perrie, we need an emoji that's shivering in the cold.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
10  Bob Nelson    7 years ago

My wife and I, combined, saw about a dozen.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
10.1  bccrane  replied to  Bob Nelson @10    7 years ago

So you saw a total of six, reminds me of a survey of school children, at assembly for an anti drug rally, they were asked to raise their hands if they knew of anyone in their school that took drugs and about half the kids rose their hands so it was determined that half the students were taking drugs when in reality they all knew the few that actually did.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
10.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  bccrane @10.1    7 years ago

Parse the sentence. We saw a dozen.

If I meant, "My wife and I both saw the same six shooting stars"... I would have said that.

I used the word "combined" for exactly this reason, to avoid the ambiguity of "My wife and I saw a dozen".

bccrane
Freshman Silent
10.1.2  bccrane  replied to  Bob Nelson @10.1.1    7 years ago

I know that, was just joking.  This morning here it was 26 F warmer than yesterday, but because of that, it clouded up and started snowing, so wasn't able to see them again this morning.  However a couple of weeks ago I got up to let the dog out and it was clear and kinda warm, the whole sky lit up, I thought it was lightening, so I walked out from under the porch roof and looked up to see the green glow of the meteor trail still in the sky.

Rhyferys
Freshman Silent
11  Rhyferys    7 years ago

I got up at 4:30, but it was 11 degrees out, and I told the dogs to hurry and went back inside.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.1  Sparty On  replied to  Rhyferys @11    7 years ago

Well, unless they are Huskies/Malamutes or the like i doubt they were much more impressed than you at 11 degree's.

I find myself wishing for colder weather this time of year.   It slows down the "Lake Effect" snow machine.  

Getting another 6-12" today.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
11.1.1  bccrane  replied to  Sparty On @11.1    7 years ago

We actually could use more snow here, but your snow peters out just before it gets to us leaving a dusting or maybe a short lived squawl.  The snow helps keep us warm by adding insulation to our roofs and I pile the snow up against my business walls with a snowblower to help keep it warmer.  Our best chance for snow is for a low pressure to move through around Toledo which would give us a NE to E wind right off the lake.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  bccrane @11.1.1    7 years ago

Yeah well, the ski resorts would disagree with me but I would gladly give you our snow.

😉

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
12  Galen Marvin Ross    7 years ago

No, my sky was covered with clouds all night long, still there today and, we're expecting more snow. Ohhhh, that four letter word.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
12.1  author  Trout Giggles  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @12    7 years ago

It's the most evil word in the English language. Did you know that the Inuit have over 100 words for that most vile word?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
12.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Trout Giggles @12.1    7 years ago

I can believe it. My favorite is brrrrrrrrr.