╌>

Any Bob Dylan Fans here?

Category:  Entertainment

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  7 years ago  •  11 comments

Any Bob Dylan Fans here?

I have written an article that is posted on the Folksongs and Folklore group about Bob Dylan's Nobel Prize lecture. There is a video of him delivering the lecture (which was not at the ceremony).  He explains the influences that classic literature has had on the words he writes, and the musical influences as well. There is also a link to a video of him singing the song Pattie Smith sang at the Nobel Awards occasion - I much preferred his version, and reference to the traditional ballad which he emulates with that song. There is a reason why a line in that song was important to me as well.

To access the article, click this link:

https://thenewstalkers.com/buzz-of-the-orient/group_discuss/4691/dedicated-to-bob-dylan-fans-his-nobel-lecture-and-its-significance

You don't need to join the group to read the article, but if you wish to post a comment, or a comment to the general comment wall or any of the articles already there you would need to join the group, but it is an open group and if you apply you are automatically made a member.  To join, just click this link that will take you to the group page where an invitation to join is waiting for you.

https://thenewstalkers.com/buzz-of-the-orient/group/167/folksongs-and-folklore

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Come one, come all, and pay heed to the most recent American recipient of the Nobel Prize for Literature. It is a rare event that Bob Dylan explains ANYTHING about his music, or even speaks to an audience.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
1.1  JaneDoe  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    7 years ago

He has always been one of my favorites. I love so many of his songs.

Hurricane, Tangled up in Blue, Forever young, All along the Watchtower ( Hendrix version ) and the list goes on and on...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JaneDoe @1.1    7 years ago

Dylan was good at writing/composing broadsides about current atrocities. If you appreciated "Hurricane" you would also appreciate "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carol" and "Neighborhood Bully", among others. I met "Hurricane" Carter at the Ontario Science Centre when the film about him was previewed there - he signed his book for me.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2  lennylynx    7 years ago

Other than music, I'm not really into the arts, so you don't see me on the photo and picture articles, Buzz, but I am a HUGE Dylan fan.  It took me a year to build my Dylan collection; downloaded and listened to virtually every song he ever recorded and kept at least half of them. 

Bob Dylan is the greatest poet of our time, a true living legend.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  lennylynx @2    7 years ago

I have been watching Dylan since I first saw a TV program with him sitting with an older man - it was probably his first exposure to a major public audience. The first time he appeared in Toronto, in a relatively small auditorium, I took a young folksinger who sang his songs in coffeehouses with me to see him perform. I was in the audience at the Newport Folk Festival when he stunned everyone by going electric. I was given tickets by Neil Young's brother (who was my client) to see the Rolling Thunder Review. And ultimately, I welcomed him and his wife Sara and son Jesse to the Mariposa Folk Festival in Toronto (I was the President then of the Mariposa Folk Foundation that ran the festival) where he shook my hand and said "I really dig your festival, man."  He had come just to see it, and it was my decision that he not be asked to perform. (There was a valid reason for not doing so, although I suffered a lot of criticism for my decision.)

I will be posting the documentary "Don't Look Back" and Dylan's movie "Renaldo and Clara" soon on the Folksongs and Folkways group.  Join the group, Lenny. If you're that big a Dylan fan you belong there.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    7 years ago

Before he became a musical poet he was a rocker. He did a lot of Little Richards songs as well as Jerry Lee Lewis.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  lennylynx @2    7 years ago

Hey Lenny,

Have you checked out all the Dylan stuff I've been posting on the Folksongs and Folkways group?

Buzz

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2.2.1  lennylynx  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2    7 years ago

G'morning Buzz.  I should have a chance to take a look at it today.  Had office Xmas party Friday night, then had to toss back a few with some friends yesterday before they took off for the holidays.  My head hurts and I feel like vomit . Going for coffee now, back soon...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    7 years ago

I like Dylan a lot. Who doesn't? 

-

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @3    7 years ago

John, I thought you knew I couldn't open YouTube. Could you please tell me what you posted?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  author  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

For GENUINE dye-hard Bob Dylan fans, I have now posted his movie, Renaldo and Clara, on the Folksongs and Folkways group. Two different web sites are used hoping that you have access to at least one of them. Here is the link:

You HAVE to be a dye-hard Bob Dylan fans to watch that movie.  If you want to comment on the group you need to join it, but it is an open group and if you apply you are automatically accepted.