╌>

SCROOGE

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sunshine  •  7 years ago  •  42 comments

SCROOGE

A Pennsylvania family was ordered by their homeowner’s association to take down their Jesus Christmas display after one of the neighbors reported it as offensive.
Mark and Lynn Wivell of Adams County, a Gettysburg subdivision, said they put up their Jesus display last Saturday, FOX43 reported.
"As part of our Christmas decoration, we would display the name Jesus to point out to everyone that we in this family believe that the reason for the season is to celebrate the birth of Jesus," said Mark Wivell told FOX43.

But the homeowner’s association wasn’t having it.

On Sunday, the association told the family to take down the sign after a neighbor complained it was offensive. The homeowner’s association also claimed the display was a sign, not a decoration – which is a violation of the rules, USA Today reported.
"After taking a look at it, it isn't in accordance with normal Christmas decorations," Bud Vance, the Courtyards president, wrote in a statement to the Gettysburg Times.
The Wivells insist they are following the rules.
"We have ordinances with regard to Christmas decorations, and my Christmas decorations comply with the HOA ordinances on Christmas decorations," Wivell said.

The Wivells also said many others supported their right to display the sign.
"When this happened, we were really shocked," Lynn Wivell said. "We have gotten tremendous support from our neighbors here at the Links and that just makes us feel so good."
The family said they have no plans to take down the sign until January 15, when the association requires all displays to be taken down. Family members said they are unsure which neighbor was offended.
"People get offended by different things, but just because something offends you, doesn't mean the whole world has to change to accommodate you, so I would say please be more tolerant," Mark Wivell said.
Board members told FOX43 in a statement that it was “unfortunate” they were being portrayed as Scrooge.
“It is, indeed, unfortunate that our attention has been unnecessarily redirected in this manner with a suggestion that Scrooge is alive and well in our community,” the statement read. “Many of our families will be in church on Monday with their spirit diminished by this attack.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/23/pennsylvania-family-ordered-to-take-down-jesus-christmas-display-after-neighbor-said-it-was-offensive.html

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Sunshine    7 years ago

“It is, indeed, unfortunate that our attention has been unnecessarily redirected in this manner with a suggestion that Scrooge is alive and well in our community,” the statement read. “Many of our families will be in church on Monday with their spirit diminished by this attack

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2  Jeremy Retired in NC    7 years ago

I still don't understand why somebody would willingly belong to a HOA.  They have proven time and again to be problems.  I'm not religious, Jesus wasn't born in December, but I understand it's tradition.  But, my only response would have to be to tell them to fuck off.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2    7 years ago

In many communities, forced membership is the rule.

kind of like working in a state that has a strong union prescence

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    7 years ago

Screw that.  Unless they are making the payments, they don't tell me a damn thing.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.1    7 years ago
Unless they are making the payments, they don't tell me a damn thing.

Here in AZ, it is the property that is bound. If you don't sign the HOA agreement, your purchase will not go through.

And... if you think you can sign, and then just ignore what the Board says... the Board can assess penalties... and interest on unpaid dues/penalties... And when you want to sell, you're caught again: the sale won't go through if you don't have an OK from the HOA.

So... if you don't plan on being a good neighbor, you'd best buy a home not bound by a HOA. If you plan to be a reasonable neighbor... then you'll never have a problem with your Board -- they're not lookng for work, and hassles with members are work!

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.2  seeder  Sunshine  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2    7 years ago

I agree about HOA's.  They are a scam to me.  But, in this case the Jesus sign was in compliant with the HOA rules.  

A neighbor didn't like the display and decided to be a dickhead and complain to the association.  The property owner has refused to take it down.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2.1  Gordy327  replied to  Sunshine @2.2    7 years ago

But, in this case the Jesus sign was in compliant with the HOA rules.

Not quite. According to the article, "the homeowners association also claimed the display was a sign, not a decoration which is a violation of the rules...."

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.2.2  seeder  Sunshine  replied to  Gordy327 @2.2.1    7 years ago

"Jesus" isn't in compliance with Christmas decorations?  If you have a display that says "Happy Holidays" is that a sign?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2.3  Gordy327  replied to  Sunshine @2.2.2    7 years ago
"Jesus" isn't in compliance with Christmas decorations?  If you have a display that says "Happy Holidays" is that a sign?

Ask the HOA. They're the ones taking an issue with it and saying it's a sign.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.2.4  seeder  Sunshine  replied to  Gordy327 @2.2.3    7 years ago

and that decision is being disputed by the property owner

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2.5  Gordy327  replied to  Sunshine @2.2.4    7 years ago

So we'll see how it turns out.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.2.7  seeder  Sunshine  replied to  NORMAN-D @2.2.6    7 years ago

I would put up a bigger "Jesus" decoration.....lol

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  NORMAN-D @2.2.6    7 years ago

Where I lived in an area of Toronto we had a neighbourhood association that was voluntary to join, and we dealt with matters such as commercial development or resisting non-compliance to local bylaws that would depreciate the value of our homes, and organizing an annual local fair.  It did not have regulations requiring compliance such as in this case with Christmas decorations and for us it was a pleasure to wander the neighbourhood to see those decorations lit up.  If someone put a creche on their lawn it didn't bother any of us who were not Christians.  Of course times change, and these days there are those who are "offended" by anything that is contrary to their own beliefs and make demands that THEIR beliefs be respected.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.2.9  Bob Nelson  replied to  NORMAN-D @2.2.6    7 years ago

That's the problem with elected officials: they don't always do as you wish...

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.3  Gordy327  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2    7 years ago
I still don't understand why somebody would willingly belong to a HOA.

I'm not a fan of HOA either. But many housing communities automatically have a HOA and being under the jurisdiction of one is a condition of owning a home within the community. But I agree, they are a pain. Let your grass grow half an inch too high and they're all over you. Angry

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.3.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Gordy327 @2.3    7 years ago
Let your grass grow half an inch too high and they're all over you.

That's probably a...slight... exaggeration... patience

"The HOA" doesn't decide anything. The Board makes decisions within the rules set out in the Rules, which have a fairly painful revision process requiring approval by a General Assembly of the membership.

If a Board gets out of hand, there's an easy solution: vote them out. A portion is up for election every year. All the guy who's mad because he had to cut his lawn must do is convince his neighbors... who probably complained to the Board about his grass being too high...

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.3.2  Gordy327  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.3.1    7 years ago
That's probably a...slight... exaggeration

Trust me, it's not.

If a Board gets out of hand, there's an easy solution: vote them out. A portion is up for election every year.

Yes, that would work. Unfortunately, you still have to deal with such individuals for a year. A year can seem like an eternity when the HOA board gets on your ass about something.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.3.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  Gordy327 @2.3.2    7 years ago

That's the problem with all elected officials...

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.3.4  Gordy327  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.3.3    7 years ago
That's the problem with all elected officials...

So true!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2    7 years ago

I still don't understand why somebody would willingly belong to a HOA.

You don't have to belong to any HOA... as long as you don't buy a property that is bound by a HOA agreement.

Buy elsewhere.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.4.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.4    7 years ago
Buy elsewhere.

Exactly what I did.  My property line is the edge of the nearest property nazi's (HOA).  Love screwing with those asshats.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.4.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.4.1    7 years ago
My property line is the edge of the nearest property nazi's (HOA).  Love screwing with those asshats.

Not at all. If you're not within the limits of the HOA, then neither the HOA nor its Board is concerned by anything you do.

You can screw with your neighbors if that's the sort of thing you like to do, but the HOA doesn't give a FF.

Iamak47
Freshman Silent
4  Iamak47    7 years ago

Don’t think I could ever buy a house in an HOA neighborhood........but who knows.  My views may change once I enter the “Get off my lawn” phase of my life.

That said.......I’m not sure 4x8 ft illuminated yard signs are what God had in mind when he sent son to serve mankind.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.1  seeder  Sunshine  replied to  Iamak47 @4    7 years ago

Love thy Neighbor..lol

Anyways, the neighbor complained because he/she are offended not because it was well lit.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5  Bob Nelson    7 years ago

As I recall the story... Ebeneezer Scrooge was not upset by a neighbor's Christmas decorations. He was a tightwad who paid his clerk so miserably that the clerk could not pay for medical treatment for his son.

That's kinda sorta not the same story...

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.1  seeder  Sunshine  replied to  Bob Nelson @5    7 years ago

The dickhead neighbor and Scrooge are both assholes.  I am sure you can relate.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sunshine @5.1    7 years ago

I'll take your word for it. You're an expert, after all... waving

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.1    7 years ago

Does he know you personally?

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.1.3  seeder  Sunshine  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.2    7 years ago

laughing dude laughing dude laughing dude

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.2    7 years ago

Obviously not!  thumbs up

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.4    7 years ago

You sure?

Didn't you JUST post that he was an expert on dickheads and assholes?

Seems reasonable to me that if he is an expert on those things, he might know you personally.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
5.1.6  lennylynx  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.5    7 years ago

Skirting.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  lennylynx @5.1.6    7 years ago

For agreeing with Bob?

WTF??

And Merry Christmas didn't seem to have a problem with it, so why should anyone else?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.8  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.5    7 years ago

Didn't you JUST post that he was an expert on dickheads and assholes?

I was complimenting his self-awareness...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.8    7 years ago

That isn't what you wrote---as all can PLAINLY see.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.10  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.9    7 years ago

You're beginning to bore me...

You're boring me...

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.1.11  seeder  Sunshine  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.1    7 years ago
 I'll take your word for it. You're an expert, after all... 

easy to spot

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.10    7 years ago

And?  Is it now my fault you have a short attention span?