╌>

If you could have dinner and an evening of conversation with any famous living person, whom would you choose?

Category:  Other

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  7 years ago  •  108 comments

If you could have dinner and an evening of conversation with any famous living person, whom would you choose?

Deem that whomever your choice is, that you can speak the same language as they can (even if you can't) so you can choose someone who does not speak English, but you choose them because what they could tell you is important to you for some reason.

There are many persons who are no longer living whom I would have chosen, such as Leonard Cohen, or Spinoza, or Pierre Elliott Trudeau, or probably my late father who died suddenly and unexpectedly of a massive coronary when I was in another city. There are things I would have wanted to tell him but I did not have the opportunity. However, that's not the topic - the person must still be living (and lucid, of course).

Some may choose a person like Warren Buffet - many would pay thousands of dollars for such a privilege, but my feeling is that money is not the most important thing, it is the achievement of world peace in our time (not the Chamberlain kind, I mean GENUINE peace).

My choice would be Colin Powell. I have great respect for him, and believe he would have been a great POTUS.

See the source image

There are some who disparage him for having been loyal to his boss, supporting the theory that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, but if you could not read the pained expression on his face when he stated that support, you would not have been able to comprehend that he had put loyalty above his own common sense. Although he was a Republican I don't think he was partisan - he was supportive of Obama being elected. I would really like to know what his take on the world's many conflicts is, and his suggestions as to how to deal with them.

So who is your SINGLE choice? Please don't provide a list - a list is not the topic. As well, please do not just post a name without reasons why you made the choice you did - they are as important as the name. As well, try HARD to restrain yourself from criticizing and disparaging the choices that others make - I know that's going to be hard for some of you so better to just go elsewhere than this. Just realize that the choice that is made is indicative of the kind of person who makes it, and walk away with that knowledge.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Whom do you choose, and WHY you make that choice?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1  cjcold  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    7 years ago

Neil deGrasse Tyson because I like his sense of humor as much as his intellegence. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    7 years ago

Abraham Lincoln with an Einstein kicker

self explanatory

oops I see you said living .... my bad ....

i'd go for a favorite foursome .... John daly, Bill Clinton and Charles Barkley .... yeah, we'd have a blast

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @2    7 years ago

I also said choose only ONE.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    7 years ago

Oops, okay ..... party on with wild Bill Clinton .... only if Hillary is not in attendance 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.1    7 years ago

Good choice. I considered him as well. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.2    6 years ago

I agree on Colin Powell as well.   Another from that era i would love to meet is Condi.

Fascinating life and woman.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    6 years ago

You also said "living person"...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    7 years ago

Bill Murray. He is an old soul. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @3    7 years ago

Love his dry wit sense of humour.  An evening with him would be a lot of fun.

charger 383
Professor Silent
4  charger 383    7 years ago

Richard Petty because he is my favorite racecar driver 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  charger 383 @4    7 years ago

Aha!!! Dinner with The King.  LOL

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
5  lennylynx    7 years ago

I've been thinking about this for awhile, Buzz, it's a tough question.  Obviously, there are several famous people any of us could come up with, picking one is very difficult.  I may have to sleep on it...

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     7 years ago

Dalai Lama....truly an old soul and a man for all time.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @6    7 years ago

I won't comment on that choice - remember where I live. chicken

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1    7 years ago

Be careful the evil commies make life hell for those that support him. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
7  Spikegary    7 years ago

Enoch.  I have had the privilege of breaking bread with him a few times and he is wise beyond his years (which he has a few of) and a kind man with a great sense of humor.  He is a man you can discuss things with, disagree with and still never have a cross word between you.  I look forward to another of our 'meetings' once the roads clear.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Spikegary @7    7 years ago

It would be a benefit for anyone to spend some time with Enoch.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
7.2  Sunshine  replied to  Spikegary @7    7 years ago

He is a very uplifting and calming person.

I do love reading his comments.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.2.1  mocowgirl  replied to  Sunshine @7.2    6 years ago
He is a very uplifting and calming person.

I am in 100% agreement.

I tend to think of Enoch as being an "old soul".  I used to view myself as an "old soul" until I allowed too much chaos in my life by marrying a man with a very young, undeveloped soul.  

I have made some very drastic, and very necessary life changes in the past year in order to regain balance and see the timeless beauty in life.  

Reading Enoch's words of patience have been the most soothing experience that I have had in two decades.  But I had to regain enough balance to appreciate them.

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
7.2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  mocowgirl @7.2.1    6 years ago

Sometimes it is easy to lose ourselves in the chaotic world we now live in. There is an old Native American saying that speaks of this well:

069fb9c495237ea13e07fae0845be216.jpg

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.2.3  mocowgirl  replied to  Raven Wing @7.2.2    6 years ago

I agree.

In the 1990s, we were allowed to put messages on our outgoing faxes.  

My fax message...

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.     William Wallace

Read more at:

Now, I would probably have a message that involved stopping to plant, to tend and to smell the roses.  LOL!

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
7.2.4  Raven Wing  replied to  mocowgirl @7.2.3    6 years ago

I agree....too many people get too wrapped up in the events of day to day living that they don't stop to really enjoy all that Mother Earth lovingly gives to them each day. Thank you for the link, it is very interesting.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.2.5  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  mocowgirl @7.2.3    6 years ago
Now, I would probably have a message that involved stopping to plant, to tend and to smell the roses.

Au contraire, mon amie.  Voltaire's Candide's last words in the novel, at the end of his seeking the best of all possible worlds, were: "Let us cultivate our garden."

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
7.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Spikegary @7    6 years ago

Same here, Spikegary. My dear Friend, Mentor and Writing Partner Enoch would be such a wonderful person to sit and converse with. There are so many things I would like to talk with him about, and our religious beliefs are very similar and it would be so great to compare so many things with him.

He is indeed one of NT's treasures, as well as to his community and all those he comes in contact with. His wisdom and wit in beyond amazing. 

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
10  GaJenn78    7 years ago

I too always struggle with this question. I would love to sit and have a beer or two with Uncle Joe (Joe Biden). He seems to be a real decent guy and a lot of fun to be around even if I don't always agree with his politics.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
12  Sunshine    7 years ago

this is hard to pick one person.  not sure...maybe the Pope

JenSiNner
Freshman Silent
13  JenSiNner    7 years ago

Stephen King. Not only amusing, but brilliant.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
14  magnoliaave    7 years ago

Andrew Lloyd Webber.  Musically brilliant.  Where does his music begin?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
14.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  magnoliaave @14    7 years ago

...and it is a great benefit to the world that it hasn't ended.  He is a musical genius.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
15  1stwarrior    7 years ago

Arvol Looking Horse - WOW

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
15.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  1stwarrior @15    7 years ago

You caused me to learn about him. You're right - Wow!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
16  Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

I'm currently in the middle of Theft by Finding, by David Sedaris.  It's a collection of his diary entries from 1977 to 2002.  I'm listening to the audiobook with him narrating, and it's so interesting and funny to imagine the culture of the 70's and 80's based on his daily observations.  Things that would be shocking today were just mundane expressions back then.  He was so broke and humble during that period, and now he's a famous author and humorist.  I think he would be an unintimidating and easy person to talk to, and laugh with.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
16.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @16    7 years ago

I’ve read most of his books and he’s hilarious. Naked was my favorite out of the ones I’ve read.  Every year at Christmas time on NPR they replay his Santaland diaries skit. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
16.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Dean Moriarty @16.1    7 years ago

Have you read this yet?  I bet you’d like it.  We have some similar tastes.

8390D0492D0C49819EBFB6BE5C5336FC.jpeg

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
16.1.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @16.1.1    6 years ago

Not yet I just downloaded it. Thanks for the recommendation. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
16.1.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Dean Moriarty @16.1.2    6 years ago

Waters has a home in Baltimore.  He hitch hikes his way to the west coast for this book, and his first hitch hiking stop was in my town (Frederick, MD).  The first half of the book is a fictionalized version of what happened, the second half is the real version.  Funny as hell.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
18  Trout Giggles    7 years ago

Neil Degrasse Tyson. I want to pick his brain

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
18.1  mocowgirl  replied to  Trout Giggles @18    7 years ago

Me, too!  Me, too!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
18.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trout Giggles @18    7 years ago

"Call me when you have a dinner invite from an alien."   LOL

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
18.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @18.2    6 years ago

Probably end up on the menu....

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
18.2.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Trout Giggles @18.2.1    6 years ago

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
18.2.3  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @18.2.2    6 years ago

Although I can't open what you posted, I know from your comment that the Twilight Zone story was about aliens that did miracles for humans, curing all diseases, making sure they were all well fed and doing all strenuous jobs so humans would gain weight.  They used a manual to guide them on how to do all those things called "To Serve Man".  And yes, it was a cookbook. LOL

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
20  Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Brian Greene. No one can explain physics like that guy. I can listen to him for hours. 

Also the Dali Lama... for the flip side of the coin. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
21  Jasper2529    7 years ago

Olivia de Haviland - age 101, actress and activist.  Her portrayal of Melanie Wilkes, meek but ferociously strong and loyal to family and cause, grabbed my attention the first time I saw "Gone With the Wind" at age 10. 

She had a very long, diverse acting career, a long-standing feud with her only sibling - actress Joan Fontaine - and  was secretly called before the House Un-American Activities Committee.

I'd like to ask her about how she was able to break free of the mold Hollywood had first placed her in as well as McCarthy's "inquisition period". If interested, read more about her here:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000014/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
21.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jasper2529 @21    7 years ago

Robin Hood's desire.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
22  Paula Bartholomew    7 years ago

Betty White who is considered a national treasure.  I bet she has some stories to tell.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
22.1  GaJenn78  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @22    7 years ago

Oooooo! Good one! I love her!

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
22.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @22    7 years ago

Same here, Paula. She is one of my very favorite actresses and comedians. Her spontaneous wit is beyond belief. It would be great treat to be able to visit with her. thumbs up

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
22.3  Jasper2529  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @22    7 years ago

Interesting that you chose Betty White, Paula. Twitter and Facebook exploded with "fake news" that she died on 12/27/2017:

Our Golden Girl icon is very much alive! I loved watching her on the Mary Tyler Moore show and game shows. Just watched "Advise and Consent" (1962) the other night - she played a senator.

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
22.3.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Jasper2529 @22.3    7 years ago

She was really great in Golden Girls as well. I've watched her since she starred in "Life With Elizabeth" many years ago. My Mother and I watched it together and enjoyed a good laugh. Her mischief making hasn't changed over the years. I hope she will stick around for a few more years. There aren't that many like her around any more. 

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
22.3.2  GaJenn78  replied to  Raven Wing @22.3.1    7 years ago

I still watch the "Golden Girls"! :-)

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
22.3.3  Raven Wing  replied to  GaJenn78 @22.3.2    7 years ago

No one can play that part like Betty White and make it so believable. She is in a class all her own. That is why she has managed to stay so popular over the many years she has been in the business.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
22.3.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  GaJenn78 @22.3.2    7 years ago

She originally wanted  the part of Blanch and might have pulled it off considering how brilliant she was as Sue Ann Nivens.  But the final casting worked so much better IMO.

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
22.3.5  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @22.3.4    7 years ago

I agree, Paula. Betty White did not just portray her part in the Golden Girls, she was that character, in looks, actions and voice. I think that is why it all came off as well as it did. I truly don't think anyone else could have done a better job than Betty did. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
22.3.6  cjcold  replied to  Raven Wing @22.3.1    7 years ago

Loved her in Lake Placid.

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
22.3.7  Raven Wing  replied to  cjcold @22.3.6    6 years ago

Indeed, she did an excellent job. But,the thing about Betty is that she does not seem to be acting, it's like it is a real part of her persona. It's so natural and easy that she makes the character so believable. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
22.3.8  cjcold  replied to  Raven Wing @22.3.7    6 years ago

I'm rooting for the crocodile I hope he swallows your friends whole! You might want to arrest me for that too! Is that a crime? To wish the chewing of law enforcement?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
22.3.9  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @22.3.8    6 years ago

Best line ever.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
22.4  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @22    7 years ago

I think the more boisterous Maude overshadowed Betty preventing many from really appreciating her on Golden Girls.

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
22.4.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @22.4    6 years ago

They both played their parts extremely well, which contributed greatly to the success of the program. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
24  Galen Marvin Ross    7 years ago

If I had a choice, it wouldn't be just one person that I would sit with and, talk to over dinner and, an evening, it would have to be several, Barack Obama, George Clooney, Al Franken, the Dali Lama and, the brothers from Oak Island.

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
25  nightwalker    7 years ago

Tough question.

Michio Kaku or one of the other astrophysicists that knows how to talk to people who are NOT astrophysicists. May have to have a early dinner, I'd like to discuss the multi-universe, the properties (or likely theories) about the dimensions, how they're separated by "brains" (spoiler alert: it means the membrane that surround each dimension) their nature and speculations about what's on the other side and speculate how to get there AND back.

LOL I believe I'd take notes and go on a speaking tour.

If not, Stephen Hawkins, and speak of black holes, their nature, what exactly they spew out, and how a black hole dies and their evaporation rate.

The Pope would be good, see what the highest Catholic there is thinks of the world, his Religion's role, past, present, and future and what ever else that crossed his mind. I think it would be very interesting to get his opinions even more so since he isn't automatic as nasty as many of the others have been.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
26  The Magic 8 Ball    7 years ago

can we use thiopental :?)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
26.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @26    7 years ago

"can we use thiopental :?)"

For yourself or for your guest (no purpose in using it for both)?

zuksam
Junior Silent
27  zuksam    6 years ago

Jay Leno, He likes old and odd cars and his interest in them goes more to the mechanical than the style. I'm the same way and i have a lot of interest in steam power as he does so I think we could have a enjoyable conversation over some Steak or Ribs. I have no interest in listening to a stuffed shirt and I'd want my guest to enjoy my company also and I think Jay would.

Kavika
Professor Principal
27.1  Kavika   replied to  zuksam @27    6 years ago

I was at Gale Banks engineering facility getting my diesel truck worked on and I was in one part of the plant that Gale Banks was displaying his diesel truck, the fastest diesel in the world, 222 MPH...I looked up when I thought that I recognized a voice and it was Jay Leno trying to buy the truck from Gale Banks....Banks told him, ''Jay, you don't have enough money to buy this truck.'' LOL...

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
27.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @27.1    6 years ago

Wow! That's fast for a diesel truck. But then, look at the Elon Musk electric semi, new technology is bringing a lot of new innovations to our world.

I have read that Jay Leno has a very large collection of cars and trucks. I can imagine he would be interested in that kind of diesel you were talking about to add to his collection. It must have been cool to see him there in person though. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
27.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing @27.1.1    6 years ago

Leno has an amazing collection of cars...World class.

Here is a link to just some of his close to 300 autos. He also has a huge collection of motorcycles.

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
27.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @27.1.2    6 years ago

Thanks for the link. I've seen pictures of some in he keeps in his home garage, but, I understand that he has more in other locations as well. I's say he has made a wise investment in them. Many of them are priceless collectors items.

zuksam
Junior Silent
27.1.4  zuksam  replied to  Raven Wing @27.1.3    6 years ago
I understand that he has more in other locations

Years ago i watched a show on him and he had a hanger at a small airport and he had his own staff that restored many of his projects. He was big into old steam powered cars back then and had a bunch that he had restored and he took one out for a ride, I remember him saying the steam car had about 700lbs of torque at the rear wheel which is crazy considering it had wooden spoked wheels.

Kavika
Professor Principal
27.1.5  Kavika   replied to  zuksam @27.1.4    6 years ago

The warehouse is at the Burbank Airport and there are over 200 cars and motorcycles there.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
27.1.6  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @27.1.2    6 years ago

Patton tank engine - Spitfire aircraft engine - wwwwhhhhoooooaaaaaa.

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
27.1.7  Raven Wing  replied to  zuksam @27.1.4    6 years ago

Yes, and I saw a picture of him driving one of his old Model-T's. I saw one similar at the Edison and Ford winter estate museum in Naples Florida when I visited there a few years back. I think it is wonderful how he manages to keep his treasures in such great working condition. The entire estate is also covered by Banyan trees, also known as 'Waking Trees'. Here is a link to that estate.

I am surprised that Leno has not yet bought the cars and trucks kept there. But, I bet he would if he could.

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
27.1.8  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @27.1.5    6 years ago

I used to wonder why anyone would want to own so many old cars and such, but, I came to the conclusion that it was likely more than just a hobby or personal goal. Even today those older models are priceless, and in the future they will be even more so. A very wise investment I think. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
27.1.9  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @27.1.2    6 years ago

I would have comments about that article if you post it on the Classic Cars group.

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
28  Rex Block    6 years ago

I would enjoy having lunch and conversation with Mike Rowe. He's the guy who narrates "Deadliest Catch" and did the "Dirtiest Jobs". He's also a singer and voice actor, a very personable and intelligent guy, who is somewhat conservative and talks common sense.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
29  Dean Moriarty    6 years ago

El Chapo Guzmán 

He made John Gotti look like a choirboy.

Each year from 2009 to 2011, Forbes magazine ranked Guzmán as one of the most powerful people in the world, ranking him 41st, 60th, and 55th, respectively. He was thus the second most powerful man in Mexico, after Carlos Slim.[5][6] [7] The magazine also calls him the "biggest drug lord of all time." The U.S. federal government considers Joaquin Guzmán "The most ruthless, dangerous, and feared man on the planet"[8] and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) estimated he matched the influence and reach of Pablo Escobar, and considered him "the godfather of the drug world".[9]  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joaqu%C3%ADn_%22El_Chapo%22_Guzmán

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
29.1  magnoliaave  replied to  Dean Moriarty @29    6 years ago

That's all true, but he is a nightmare.

To hear his stories of torture, mutilation, death would be more than I could handle.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
29.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  magnoliaave @29.1    6 years ago

Yes, I don’t idolize him or think he is a good person at all. I’d say he’s one of the worst. He would be a wealth of information on how the underworld operates and how high they reach into the Mexican government. 

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
29.1.2  magnoliaave  replied to  Dean Moriarty @29.1.1    6 years ago

Oh, I know you don't.

But, can you imagine his evil hands throughout the world?  And, the number of people who were tortured for him to gain his notoriety? 

The Devil!

Kavika
Professor Principal
29.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Dean Moriarty @29.1.1    6 years ago

Have you read the book, ''Killing Pablo'', Dean...The story of Pablo Escobar. He killed Supreme Court Justices, no one was safe from him. Very interesting reading as his tactics were used against him by a group known as ''Los Pepe's''. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
29.1.4  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Kavika @29.1.3    6 years ago

No but I saw a great series on Netflix about him.  If you watch Netflix I recommend it. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
29.1.5  Kavika   replied to  Dean Moriarty @29.1.4    6 years ago

I saw that series on netflix, it was excellent, Dean. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
30  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Whom do you choose, and WHY you make that choice?

The sons of bitches that stole my rowboat … back in the late '70's …

… for obvious reasons!

And dinner would be at the restaurant where Michael Corleone had dinner with Virgil Sollozzo and the police chief.

Hey mf'ers, try the veal, it's the best in the city.

Oh … I have to go to the bathroom.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
30.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @30    6 years ago

LOL

It Is ME
Masters Guide
31  It Is ME    6 years ago

Condoleezza Rice.

She likes Football too. chuckle

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
32  tomwcraig    6 years ago

Saquon Barkley, because I want to talk to one of the most talented and humble athletes I have ever seen.

As for where: Hoss's Steakhouse in State College, Pa.