╌>

Senate's top Democrat says he will vote to end shutdown

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  capt-cave-man  •  6 years ago  •  48 comments

Senate's top Democrat says he will vote to end shutdown

Pressure is mounting on Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer to end the filibuster of a government funding measure.

The Trump White House and Capitol Hill Republicans cranked up the pressure Monday on Democrats to abandon their immediate demands for immigration measures and vote in support of a temporary spending bill to end a government shutdown now in its third day.

“They shut down the government,” White House counselor Kellyanne Conway told “Fox & Friends” on Monday morning. “The pressure is on them.”

President Trump tweeted that Democrats shut down the government to appease the “far left base” and are now “powerless” to change course.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Capt. Cave Man
Freshman Silent
1  seeder  Capt. Cave Man    6 years ago

In other words, that little bitch, chucky shumer, has just realized he has cost his party any gains he may have seen in congress at the 2018 elections.  And he is now trying to backpedal. 

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
1.1  True American Pat  replied to  Capt. Cave Man @1    6 years ago

He thought that the American People would be fooled by the MSM into blaming the GOP.....Ooops!  Didn't work this time Chucky!

AmericaRepublic
Freshman Quiet
1.1.1  AmericaRepublic  replied to  True American Pat @1.1    6 years ago

Ol Chucky will never learn....their hypocrisy knows no bounds.............pathetic.

AR

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
1.2  DRHunk  replied to  Capt. Cave Man @1    6 years ago

It appears to be only a 3 week Continuing Resolution so that they can discuss the Budget without the shutdown continuing.  Not quite like the Shutdown in 2013 where the Repubs held America hostage for 2 weeks. At least the Dems are willing to pass a CR while discussions continue.

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
1.2.1  True American Pat  replied to  DRHunk @1.2    6 years ago

You mean the shutdown that Obama made as harmful as possible......shut down as much as he could.....Turned vets away from war memorials etc..?

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
1.2.2  DRHunk  replied to  True American Pat @1.2.1    6 years ago

No one said it was going to be fun. A shutdown is just that, everything shuts down.

What did you all think it was going to be partying in the streets and business as usual.

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
1.2.3  True American Pat  replied to  DRHunk @1.2.2    6 years ago

We knew it was going to be bad.....and we did all we could to minimize and/or stop it's effects..........

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
1.2.4  Cerenkov  replied to  DRHunk @1.2.2    6 years ago

Everything doesn't have to shut down. The DOE was working today. And so was I.

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
1.2.5  DRHunk  replied to  Cerenkov @1.2.4    6 years ago

Would have to know your appropriation to comment correctly. Some Appropriations have reserves that can be used in times of Shutdowns for a period of time. WCF had 7-10 days of reserves as an example.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Cerenkov @1.2.4    6 years ago

So was the VA hospitals, but the civilians on bases weren't

Iamak47
Freshman Silent
1.2.7  Iamak47  replied to  True American Pat @1.2.1    6 years ago

Good old “Barry-cades”.  Punitive Liberalism didn’t work out so well for the Obama admin in the 2014 midterms.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Capt. Cave Man @1    6 years ago

Your golden boy in the oval office stated that we need a good shut down and he got his wish.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
2  Rmando    6 years ago

Chucky folded like a cheap suit.

Capt. Cave Man
Freshman Silent
4  seeder  Capt. Cave Man    6 years ago

Too funny!

I'd love to hear what the libs think of all this!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Capt. Cave Man @4    6 years ago

Why? So you can call us names and mock us? No thanks

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.1  bugsy  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1    6 years ago

That's funny coming from someone who mocks and calls Republicans names.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  bugsy @4.1.1    6 years ago

Really? Would you like to show a comment of mine that does just that?

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2  Ender  replied to  Capt. Cave Man @4    6 years ago

I think they now have 17 days to do a budget plus they want to do a complete overhaul of the immigration system.

It is never going to happen.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

Lol - the more I read the comments on this site about this issue, the more I realize how dumb this country has gotten.  Idiocracy in real time.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5    6 years ago

These guys seem to be in the minority on this,

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.1    6 years ago

Fake news!   /s

Capt. Cave Man
Freshman Silent
5.1.2  seeder  Capt. Cave Man  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.1    6 years ago

I noticed how fast shumer caved on this one...  yeah, pretty obvious your polling data was fucked up as usual.

Comment removed for CoC violation [ph]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Capt. Cave Man @5.1.2    6 years ago

Your inane answer does not disqualify the polling data. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.4  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Capt. Cave Man @5.1.2    6 years ago
Comment removed for context [ph]

It is mighty fortunate for you that Perrie has no problem with racist language.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
5.1.5  Rmando  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.4    6 years ago

Or maybe the rest of the world has a different definition of racism than you do.

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
5.1.6  Rex Block  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.4    6 years ago

Personal attack on Perrie...

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
5.1.7  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.3    6 years ago

How 'bout this "Polling" data John???

Chuck Schumer In 2013: If Dems Shut Down The Government Over Immigration That Would Be ‘A Politics Of Idiocy'

It was not a hard line on the substantive issues,” Schumer replied. He continued, “It was a hard line saying, unless I get my way I’m going to shut the government down, I’m going to risk default for the nation. Now anyone can do that.

I believe in immigration reform. What if I persuaded my caucus to say I’m going to shut the government down, I’m going to not pay our bills unless I get my way. It’s a politics of idiocy , of confrontation, of paralysis.”

Needless to say, what Schumer envisioned as the Democratic equivalent of the 2013 shutdown is exactly what he has done in the 2018 shutdown. By his own definition, he has embraced the politics of idiocy, confrontation, and paralysis. Schumer goes on to say that Senate Democrats and President Obama said, “We’re not going to give in to this kind of brinksmanship, where basically a gun is put to your head…

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.8  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.4    6 years ago
It is mighty fortunate for you that Perrie has no problem with racist language.

Perrie does have an issue with racist language. 

Capt. Cave Man
Freshman Silent
5.1.9  seeder  Capt. Cave Man  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.8    6 years ago

Perrie, could you please PM me as to what my racist language was?  

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.10  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Capt. Cave Man @5.1.9    6 years ago

Poor guy can’t even recognize racism.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6  Sean Treacy    6 years ago

Schumer realized the politics of idiocy wasn't working so he caved.

He basically shut down the government and achieved absolutely nothing.  He got a promise for Republicans to do what they were doing before Schumer shut the government down. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    6 years ago

The Democrats got a lot for a party without any real power. They have a pledge , in front of the whole country, to take a fair vote in the Senate on a bi-partisan bill on DACA, from McConnell. That pledge did not exist before the shutdown. Now that it is so high profile, if McConnell renegs it is more ammunition for the Democrats in November. 

And they got the appearance of Trump looking bewildered and out of the loop as he sat in his office watching everything on television rather than being a player. Only Trump's clueless base will conclude this was any sort of achievement or victory for our overmatched president*. 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
6.1.1  Rmando  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1    6 years ago

Actually the country concluded that Schumer and company are willing to sell out the military, govt employees and children on CHIP for criminal families using their kids as amnesty tickets.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Rmando @6.1.1    6 years ago
Only Trump's clueless base will conclude this was any sort of achievement or victory for our overmatched president*. 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
6.1.3  Rmando  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.2    6 years ago

Just like the clueless considered winning the White House and controlling Congress to be winning. 

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
6.1.4  True American Pat  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.2    6 years ago

So......What did the Democrats get that they didn't have before?.....Very little.....A verbal Commitment for something that there was already a verbal commitment......Bwahahaha!

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
6.1.5  Sunshine  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1    6 years ago

are you tired of winning?

ausmth
Freshman Silent
6.1.6  ausmth  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1    6 years ago
The Democrats got a lot for a party without any real power.

They got nothing they didn't have before.  There was no DACA bill because it was being worked on by several bipartisan groups.  It was going to happen as long as it had measures in it to de incentivise more illegals from coming.  Tighten the definition of eligible family members which is not a partisan issue.  End the lottery system that neither side really wants.  Build the barriers that dems voted for but never funded.

Shutting down the government didn't work for the reps and it didn't work for the dems.  All it did was point out that Chuckie won't let the senate act.

It's time to end the filibuster and to repeal the 17th amendment that created popular elections of senators.  Senators were intended to represent the states and not themselves and their own ambitions.  The House was to represent the people.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
6.1.7  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1    6 years ago

The budget WAS NOT the place to discuss immigration policies.

What's so hard to understand about that??????

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1.8  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1    6 years ago
hey have a pledge , in front of the whole country, to take a fair vote in the Senate on a bi-partisan bill on DACA, from McConnell
The Republicans, including Trump want a DACA fix.  They were working for that before the pointless shutdown. Morevoer,  it's only a pledge for a vote in the Senate. There's no commitment that the House will vote on it.  For that, Democrats showed the country they prioritize illegal aliens over children' healthcare. 
Only Trump's clueless base will conclude this was any sort of achievement or victory

I guess the AP, WASHPO , MOVEON, Politico etc.etc. are "Trump's clueless base" Even the liberal media admits the dems caved. How could they not?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
6.1.9  1stwarrior  replied to  Sunshine @6.1.5    6 years ago

I think that should be "whining".

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
6.2  Spikegary  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    6 years ago

#SchumerShutdown will be remembered for trying to protect illegal immigrants and their children by foisting a non-budgetary bill into a CR discussion while ignoring the 340 Million or so U.S. Citizens.  Good call. 

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
6.2.2  True American Pat  replied to  Release The Kraken @6.2.1    6 years ago

I like this one...

DQItGLIWsAUtLhl.jpg

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
6.2.3  Sunshine  replied to  Release The Kraken @6.2.1    6 years ago

laughing dude

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
7  True American Pat    6 years ago

I just heard Chris Matthews say that Donald Trump listens to Steve Miller on this issue......

Makes me want to Dance when Trump wins.......

Steve Rocks!