╌>

A Few Night Shots on Chongqing City Streets

Category:  Photography & Art

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  6 years ago  •  9 comments

In a moving taxi coming home from dinner with friends near downtown last night I took some photos from the car.

jan 18 4.jpg

jan 18 9.jpg

jan 18 8.jpg

4.   The cable car that crosses the Jialing River.  You won't catch me on it.

jan 18 10.jpg

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Many of the coloured lights are there because of Spring Festival.  Lantern Festival will be on March 2nd.

TTGA
Professor Silent
2  TTGA    6 years ago

Spectacular stuff Buzz.  Sort of like Times Square during the New Year party.

I've been wondering.  Considering the city in which you live and its history, do they have any leftovers (old airfields or barracks) or any commemoration of the role played by the AVG back in 1940?  I've been told that, as late as a few years back, the people there were very friendly regarding the role played by that fighter group.  About the official attitude since the regime change, I've heard nothing.  If there are any memorials, pictures of them would be very interesting. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TTGA @2    6 years ago

Yes, Rock, there certainly are memorials to General Stilwell ("Vinegar Joe") and the Flying Tigers (about which there is a Hollywood movie of that name). Here is a link to info about it, and it was one of the first things I went to see in Chongqing.  It says you cannot take photos inside, but I had one taken of me standing next to one of the original Chinese Flying Tiger Pilots i.e. one who was lucky enough not to get shot down flying cargo planes "over the hump" to Burma. The poster behind me shows him with his family from when he was active in the war.

Flying Tigers Pilot.jpg

By the way, Stilwell was working with Chiang Kai Shek, but wasn't particularly friendly with him (nicknamed him "peanut"). In fact Stilwell actually favoured the opposing Communist Regime, and for that reason is still very highly regarded by the present regime and the Chinese people.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     6 years ago

I wouldn't want to have to pick up the tab on the electrical bill...LOL...

Great photos Buzz.

Love the photo of you and the pilot..

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @3    6 years ago

The price of electricity is a reason why so many Chinese people would sit in their homes in overcoats rather than turn on the heat. It's one of the things I can't get used to here - in Canada, where heat is a necessity, when I was young we had a coal furnace, then either it was converted or a new one installed for coke instead of coal, then we converted to natural gas, which we used for the rest of my time in Canada in every home I lived in (except the one in the lake district which had baseboard electric heat and sometimes the wood fireplace). However, more for pleasant view and smell most of my homes (including the lake one) also had wood burning fireplaces.

I, too, have wondered why, when electricity is expensive here, the cities are lit up at night like Christmas trees.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.1.1  Spikegary  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    6 years ago

The citizenry absorbing the cost to light up the Cities?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
4  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

A BRIGHT SPOT on the NewsTalkers, Buzz … a much needed escape from the darker threads.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  author  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

For obvious reasons, I don't think I'll use the word "shots" to mean "photos" any more.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
6  Spikegary    6 years ago

Meeting that pilot must have been a wonderful thing.  The way political winds change, I'm glad they still have the memorial there.  We can't learn form our past if it is covered over.