╌>

These companies are paying bonuses with their tax savings

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sixpick  •  6 years ago  •  70 comments

These companies are paying bonuses with their tax savings

Want to know what companies are doing now that corporate taxes have been slashed? We've got you covered.

Below is a list of S&P 500 companies that have announced bonuses, wage increases or other special investments based on the lower tax rate.

CNBC will update this list as more companies announce their plans.

~Link~

Check out the list below:

Name
Ticker
Plan/Statement
Aflac AFL Increase 401(k) match from 50% to 100% of first 4% of employee contribution, $500 one-time contribution to every employee's 401(k) plan, offer free hospital and accident insurance products, increase U.S. investment by $250 million over 3 - 5 years.
Alaska Air ALK $1,000 bonus for 23,000 employees and $118 million in incentive bonuses.
American Airlines AAL $1,000 bonus to all team members (excluding officers) at mainline and wholly owned carriers" first quarter of 2018"""
Altria Group MO One-time $3,000 bonus to 7,900 non-executive employees, donate $35 million over next three years to philanthropy
Anthem ANTM Contribute $1,000 to the 401(k) accounts for each of its more than 58,000 associates and recent retirees.
Apple AAPL Repatriate billions in overseas cash.
AT&T T $1,000 bonus to more than 200,000 U.S. employees, invest additional $1 billion in the U.S. in 2018.
Bancorp South BXS $10 million investment in employees
Bank of America Corporation BAC One-time $1,000 bonus for U.S. employees earning up to $150,000 per year – about 145,000 teammates.
BB&T BBT One-time $1,200 bonus for about 27,000 employees, raise minimum wage from $12/hour to $15/hour, donate $100 million to philanthropic fund.
Boeing BA $300 million committed to charitable giving, workforce development, and workplace facility enhancements.
Charles Schwab SCHW $1,000 bonus to around 9,000 non-executive employees last year, “anticipating the tax law change and in response to the company’s strong financial performance.”
Chipotle CMG One-time $1,000 bonus to qualified employees, one-time stock grant to qualified employees, additional paid parental leave, additional insurance coverage for hourly managers.
Cigna CI Raise minimum wage to $16/hour, additional $15 million in salary raises mostly for front line employees, additional $30 million to 401(k) matching, invest in Cigna Foundation
Citizen's Financial Group CFG One-time $1,000 bonus to around 12,500 employees.
Comcast Corporation Class A CMCSA $1,000 bonuses for more than 100,000 workers, hire thousands more employees, invest over $50 billion in infrastructure.
Comerica CMA One-time $1,000 bonus to 4,500 non-officer employees, raise minimum wage to $15/hour.
CVS Health CVS Increase minimum wage to $11/hour starting in April. Invest $425 million annually in wages and employee benefits.
Discover DFS One-time $1,000 bonus to more than 15,000 non-executive employees.
Disney DIS One-time $1,000 cash bonus for more than 125,000 employees.
Exxon Mobil XOM $50 billion in new U.S. investments over the next five years.
FedEx FDX Invest over $200 million in pay raises, “about two-thirds of which will go to hourly team members, contribute $1.5 billion to pension plan. "
Fifth Third FITB One-time $1,000 bonus to 13,500 employees, raise minimum wage to $15/hour.
Home Depot HD One-time cash bonus up to $1,000 for U.S. hourly associates in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017.
Honeywell HON Increase 401(k) match to maximum 7 percent in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.
Humana HUM Increase minimum wage to $15/hour, allow employees to take part in performance-based incentive program starting this year.
J.M. Smucker SJM One-time $1,000 bonus to nearly 5,000 employees, additional $20 million to employee pension plan, additional $1 million to charity.
JPMorgan JPM Hire 4,000 employees and open up to 400 new Chase branches, increase minimum wage to $15 to $18/hour for 22,000 employees.
Kansas City Southern KSU One-time $1,000 bonus to qualified, non-executive employees in the U.S. and Mexico.
Lowe's LOW Up to $1,000 bonus to more than 260,000 employees, expand maternity and parental leave benefits
Marriott International MAR Additional one-time contribution to retirement savings plans, structured as a $5-to-$1 company match of up to $1,000.
Marsh & McLennan Cos MMC One time $1,000 bonus to employees earning $55,000/year or less, U.S. employees earning below $16/hour to receive a pay raise to $16/hour.
MetLife MET Increase minimum wage to $15/hour, increase life insurance benefits, increase 401(k) matching, expand company-paid legal services
M&T Bank MTB Increase minimum wage to $14 to $16/hour, depending on geography.
Northern Trust NTRS Award employees one week's base salary up to $1,000.
PNC Financial PNC $1,000 bonuses for about 47,500 employees in first quarter of 2018, raise minimum wage to $15/hour by year end.
Regions Financial RF Increase minimum wage to $15/hour - affecting around 25% of workforce, contribute $40 million to foundation, increase capex budget by $100 million for 2018.
Southwest LUV $1,000 cash bonus on 1/8/18 to all fulltime and part-time employees, incremental $5 million in chartible giving"
Travelers Cos TRV $1,000 bonus to 14,000 employees with base salary less than $$75,000, increase minimum wage to $15/hour
Tyson Foods TSN One-time $1,000 bonus to eligible full-time employees and $500 bonus to eligible part-time employees, invest in employee education and training, invest in sustainability and animal well-being.
UPS UPS Invested $5 billion in pension plans, will invest $7 billion in Smart Logistics Network
U.S. Bancorp USB $1,000 bonus to nearly 60,000 employees, raise minimum wage to $15/hour.
Verizon VZ Employees other than top management to receive 50 shares of restricted stock.
Visa V Hike 401(k) match to 10 percent from 6 percent.
Walmart WMT One-time cash bonus of up to $1,000 to eligible employees"
Washington Federal WAFD Employees earning <$100k will get 5% increase on top of normal merit increase, unspecified investments in training and development.
Waste Management WM Allocate $2,000 to every North American employee not in a bonus or sales-incentive plan - around 34,000 employees.
Wells Fargo WFC Raise minimum wage to $15/hour, target $400 million in 2018 philanthropic contributions.
Zions ZION Increase compensation of more than 40 percent of employees, $1,000 bonuses to nearly 80% of employees this year, contribute $12 million to charitable foundation.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  sixpick    6 years ago

And they want to feed us their propaganda with their polls.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  sixpick @1    6 years ago

Great post!  🇺🇸👍👏🎯. I intend to invest in companies that pay out such bonuses, pay increases, and benefit increases.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Kavika   replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1    6 years ago

Good to hear XX....I guess that you'll supporting Delta Airlines since they have given out profit sharing for the last 5 years. BTW, this years's was 1.1 billion.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Kavika @1.1.1    6 years ago

As soon as they restore the discount they had been giving to NRA members,  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1    6 years ago

I invest in companies that give me the biggest payout, I am not investing because I give a shit about their employees. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.4  Krishna  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1    6 years ago
I intend to invest in companies that pay out such bonuses, pay increases, and benefit increases.

A better investment strategy would be to research companies and buy those where the "big picture" clearly shows they have a good future. (And these bonuses are one time payouts-- it doesn't necessarily mean the company has a good financial future over the next few years).

In fact if they are only pay a one time bonus of, say $1000 to each worker, its still costing them less than it would to give them pays raises each year-- which would last for many years and over time cost the company much more than a one time bonus.

Yes, In most cases the tax cut will benefit most corporations, But various companies will use it differently. They coulduse some or all ofthe money to pay shareholders. (Instituting a  dividend if they don't already have one, raising the dividend, or giving a one time payout to shareholders. Or-- give a one time bonus to workers. Or, give the workers a permanent raise. Or buy back shares. Or-- invest it all in expandingnthe business. Or some combination of these...)

I believe history shows it ususally doesn't go to the workers in most cases.

As an a trader (& investor) I am delighted with these tax cuts. However, I am also very unhappy with how unfair they are, how much of a tax cut the ultra wealthy are getting, how much this will hurt the poor (and therefore everyone else)<...also how it raises the deficit a lot.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.5  XXJefferson51  replied to  Krishna @1.1.4    6 years ago

I agree that records and looking at future prospects as well as past returns are important but not assuring of future results.  I’m a fairly conservative investor and not likely to take undo risks.  As to your last point, since there was no cut in cap gains or dividends rates, it’s harder to claim it’s directed to the wealthy. The high corporate rate of taxes only hurt America.  

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.1.6  seeder  sixpick  replied to  Kavika @1.1.1    6 years ago

He's still trying to make good investments and right now might not be such a good time, although they've done really well over the last year or so.  They really took off the last part of 2016.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.7  Greg Jones  replied to  Krishna @1.1.4    6 years ago
I am also very unhappy with how unfair they are, how much of a tax cut the ultra wealthy are getting, how much this will hurt the poor (and therefore everyone else)<...also how it raises the deficit a lot.

How do you define "ultra wealthy"? Did you mean the corporate tax cuts? Exactly how will it hurt the poor (and everyone else)? Why do liberals care so much about the deficits where they never did before?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.7    6 years ago

Deficits never matter to repukes unless a democrat is President

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.8    6 years ago

Did deficits matter to Democrats when they ran the highest in history??

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.9    6 years ago

When was that?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.10    6 years ago

US Federal Deficit by Year - plus charts and analysis

96WS6
Junior Quiet
2  96WS6    6 years ago

I guess by the number of posts here it is unpopular to indicate any productive policies of president Trump.....Yet I still remember all the fanfare over president Obama's  taxpayer gift to Solyndra.   Go figure.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  96WS6 @2    6 years ago

I noticed that too.  

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.1  lennylynx  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    6 years ago

At last count you posted 17 of the last 18 comments, HA, take a break.  Here, have a donut!

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  96WS6 @2    6 years ago

The lion's share is going to shareholders, of which over 80% are owned by the top 10% of the population. Of course that was always the point of the law. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.2.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  XDm9mm @2.2.1    6 years ago
Why should it not go to shareholders?   They've actually put THEIR money on the line for the business.  Why should they not reap some benefits?

Oh don't get me wrong, I am hardly complaining. My portfolio has been loving it so far.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.2    6 years ago

There were no cuts to capital gains or dividend taxes or rates in the recent tax bill.  

Pedro
Professor Participates
3  Pedro    6 years ago

It's great that at least a few companies are doing at least some of what their tax breaks are actually for. Hopefully they can shame the other 98% of corporations to follow suit.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
3.1  96WS6  replied to  Pedro @3    6 years ago

I think it would be interesting to see how many smaller companies follow suit.  Probably more than you think.   Good companies want to keep qualified individuals and will reward them when they can.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  96WS6 @3.1    6 years ago

the smaller companies doing so all over the country don’t get the publicity of the fortune 500’s doing so. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

$6 billion in bonuses and almost $200 billion in stock buybacks. That $6 billion is just to shut everyone up while they carry out the actual intent of the new law. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
5  Randy    6 years ago

They pay out one time bonus and a relatively modest temporary tax cut, conveniently timed to last just past the election. After that it disappears, but the massive tax cuts for the very rich, the upper 1% and the huge corporations are permanent and drive our nation deeper into debt. Then, all of a sudden, they will become seriously concerned about the deficit (that they just created), but they will not think of rescinding any of these tax cuts that they will say are on the job creators, even though the tax cuts are not creating a single job and will instead draw a bead on Social Security and Medicare.

They forget that the baby boomers are retired and have nothing better to do then be politically active. I am in the AARP and I vote.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Randy @5    6 years ago

Baby bookers are beginning to retire.  I’m in AMAC and I vote! 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
5.1.1  Randy  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1    6 years ago

A baby booker is someone who sells babies.

And quit voting up your own posts. It's cheap, childish and trashy.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Randy @5.1.1    6 years ago

You know darn well it should have said boomer, Comment removed for violating the CoC. jwc2blue .  

Randy
Sophomore Participates
5.1.3  Randy  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1.2    6 years ago

I'm not so sure. It looked pretty accurate the way you typed it. Especially since I never hard of AMAC. They could be baby brokers...

Oh and Trump won't be running in 2020. Guaranteed. Too senile.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  Randy @5.1.3    6 years ago

You are in AARP and never heard of AMAC?  They are the counter part to it.  See for yourself.   http://amac.us/join-amac/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgPT9p4DU2QIVCFp-Ch3y8wFhEAAYASAAEgJZDfD_BwE   

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Randy @5    6 years ago

So...that extra 75 dollars a month that I'm getting is only temporary?

bastards

Randy
Sophomore Participates
6  Randy    6 years ago

We are the only two on here and this is getting silly. I am going to watch an On Demand Move from my FIOS system. It's called The Thin Red Line and it's probably the Greatest war/anti-war movie I have ever seen. Of course it is 3 hours long so I might not watch it all tonight (though I have seen it all 3 or 4 times) depending on how much scotch I drink. Goodnight and if you get a chance to watch the movie do it. It's worth the 3 hours out of your life.

Randy

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Randy @6    6 years ago

I was sleeping when you watched that.   

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
7  DRHunk    6 years ago

you guys are so gullible, Corporate USA has been making Record profits for the last 10 years and didn't give a shit about sharing any of it with their employees, but now all of a sudden they get a small tax break and OMG the windfall cometh...Everyone get $1,000 ..... Just forget that we actually made Billions in profit over the same 10 years...Let them eat cake.  This is a token gesture from them and you are all eating it up.

Sheep.