╌>

Another day of pins and needles as yet another White House shakeup looms

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  colour-me-free  •  6 years ago  •  46 comments

Another day of pins and needles as yet another White House shakeup looms

WASHINGTON — It’s Friday. The president hasn’t tweeted yet. But there are three people in Washington who are going to be particularly interested in what he has to say today: John Kelly, H.R. McMaster and Jeff Sessions.
All day, Washington will once again be on pink slip watch, waiting to see if any of the numerous administration officials rumored to be on the chopping block meet the same fate as ousted Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
In the latest round of speculation, two weeks after NBC reported that the administration was preparing for the departure of National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster, The Washington Post and The New York Times both report that Trump has definitely decided to oust him and is actively talking about potential replacements.
The White House denies an imminent change, with Sarah Huckabee Sanders tweeting last night “Contrary to reports they have a good working relationship and there are no changes at the NSC.” Also mentioned in both stories as being on thin ice with the president are Kelly (who CBS also reports may be on the way out), Sessions, Ben Carson, David Shulkin, and pretty much any other Cabinet official who’s been facing embarrassing headlines in the last few weeks.
It’s become a familiar pattern in this White House: These stories about possible staff shakeups are accurate in the moment they are written, but Trump does change his mind without warning. Sometimes he’s serious about changing his team, sometimes he’s just spitballing, and it can be tough for anyone to figure out the difference and whether any decisions will stick. Plus, as the Times puts it, “the president is known to enjoy keeping people off kilter.”
Something’s coming. The only thing we don’t know about the next set of shakeups is how big it’s going to be.

GOP Judiciary senators want second special counsel to investigate handling of Russia investigation

Speaking of Sessions, Republicans Chuck Grassley, John Cornyn, Lindsey Graham and Thom Tillis sent a letter yesterday to Sessions and Rod Rosenstein asking for a separate special counsel to help the DOJ inspector general probe how the Justice Department and the FBI handled the Trump-Russia investigation before Robert Mueller’s appointment last year. Cornyn’s inclusion is an interesting development — he’s a member of GOP leadership and someone who’s notably said it would be a mistake for Trump to fire Mueller.
There are two possible reasons for why these senators are making this move now. One, it could just be a cynical ploy to try to disrupt the ongoing investigation. But here’s a more interesting hypothesis: They could be trying to give Sessions some cover. If Sessions agrees to beef up this internal investigation, does it give him some protection against Trump’s fury at the Russia probe, keeping him in the job longer and preserving Mueller’s ongoing work? By the way, Grassley himself came out and said yesterday that he “would not be comfortable” if Trump ousted Sessions.

Mueller subpoenas Trump Organization documents

Breaking in the New York Times yesterday: “The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, has subpoenaed the Trump Organization to turn over documents, including some related to Russia, according to two people briefed on the matter. The order is the first known instance of the special counsel demanding records directly related to President Trump’s businesses, bringing the investigation closer to the president.” (Our question: Why a subpoena rather than just asking for cooperation? One theory: Could it be a test by Mueller to see if what the Trump Organization hands over matches what Mueller already has?)
It’s also worth noting that Mueller’s public credibility remains solid. First, yesterday, the administration announced sanctions against the same 13 Russians indicted by Mueller for election meddling, seeming to validate the investigation’s finding. And then this new poll from the Pew Research Center showed that a majority of Americans — 61 percent — still say they are very or somewhat confident that he’ll conduct a fair investigation. That’s been fairly stable since December, even ticking up a little in recent months.

The sixty-five million dollar race

We’re used to seeing some pretty eye-popping sums on television advertising, but the spending in the Illinois governors race is really off the charts. Two extremely wealthy candidates— incumbent Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner and Democratic frontrunner and billionaire J.B. Pritzker — have faced tougher-than-expected primary challenges, and they’ve been shoveling cash into ad buys for months ahead of Tuesday’s election day.
Pritzker’s campaign alone has spent over $33 million on TV ads, while Rauner has spent more than $16 million. All told, the spending (for a primary!) is over $65 million already. If the two super-wealthy candidates face off for a long general election here, this is set to be the most expensive race in the country — without anyone else even coming close. And our ad gurus say that it’s on track to be the most expensive non-presidential race they’ve ever tracked.
Here are the TV spending totals in the primary, according to ad-tracking group Advertising Analytics.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
1  seeder  Colour Me Free    6 years ago
It’s Friday. The president hasn’t tweeted yet. But there are three people in Washington who are going to be particularly interested in what he has to say today: John Kelly, H.R. McMaster and Jeff Sessions.

John Kelly would be a mistake to replace - McMaster's really do not know enough about him to have an opinion ... but Sessions (?) good bye, do not let that door hit your too hard on the way out.  I could be wrong, but there is NO way to appoint another individual as bad as Sessions ... is there?

Speaking of Sessions, Republicans Chuck Grassley, John Cornyn, Lindsey Graham and Thom Tillis sent a letter yesterday to Sessions and Rod Rosenstein asking for a separate special counsel to help the DOJ inspector general probe how the Justice Department and the FBI handled the Trump-Russia investigation before Robert Mueller’s appointment last year.

Not sure if this is necessary, but I am curious as to what dates an investigation of this nature would encompass - would it go back as far as July of 2016?

Happy Friday all ...

I have not heard anything - but has the President tweet'd yet today?

luther28
Sophomore Silent
2  luther28    6 years ago

I have not heard anything - but has the President tweet'd yet today?

Let us hope not, with the coming of Spring the only tweeting I would prefer to hear, is that of the returning birds.

Apparently Mr. Trump and Kelly have kissed and made up for the moment, but the day isn't over yet.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
2.1  seeder  Colour Me Free  replied to  luther28 @2    6 years ago
Let us hope not, with the coming of Spring the only tweeting I would prefer to hear, is that of the returning birds.

Agreed!

Thanks for the news on Kelly (almost done with my taxes, then I can go and wander around reading) the President needs to suck it up and accept the discipline that is needed within the White House .. or be sent to bed without dinner, as well as grounded from his phone!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Colour Me Free @2.1    6 years ago
Thanks for the news on Kelly (almost done with my taxes, then I can go and wander around reading) the President needs to suck it up and accept the discipline that is needed within the White House .. or be sent to bed without dinner, as well as grounded from his phone!

Do you really want three more years of this shit? 

Stop pretending that Trump is a minor annoyance. 

He is not going to "accept discipline".  He has to be thrown out on his ass like the bum that he is. 

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
2.1.2  seeder  Colour Me Free  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    6 years ago
He has to be thrown out on his ass like the bum that he is.

As does more than half of Congress!

What makes you think I am pretending anything JohnRussell?   I simply do not feel the need to repetitively bash the President every minute of everyday ... I am not consumed by thoughts of him as you are. 

This country survived B. Clinton, George W and then Mr. Nobel Peace prize for 8 years each - I def think that the current President cannot do anymore damage than has already been done.   'Our' allies have not had respect for .. nor have 'our' enemies had fear of the US for at least 8 years - 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    6 years ago
Do you really want three more years of this shit?

Heck ya !

'Bout time Washington ....... instead of us....FELT THE HEAT !

Why are you always against weeding out the Washington shit Russell ? You a "status Quo" is good person ?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.3    6 years ago
'Bout time Washington ....... instead of us....FELT THE HEAT !

Washington is run by the wealthiest in the country, the heat they feel is from all the money coming their way.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.4    6 years ago
Washington is run by the wealthiest in the country, the heat they feel is from all the money coming their way.

close call

Randy
Sophomore Participates
2.1.6  Randy  replied to  Colour Me Free @2.1.2    6 years ago
I def think that the current President cannot do anymore damage than has already been done.

On that I seriously disagree. It is not about respect for us from our allies, it is fear of us from our enemies and right now Trump has turned America over like a scared dog and exposed our underside to Putin. Russia is at war with us and Trump is not only doing nothing to prevent it, he is making that war much, much easier.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
2.1.7  seeder  Colour Me Free  replied to  Randy @2.1.6    6 years ago
On that I seriously disagree. It is not about respect for us from our allies, it is fear of us from our enemies and right now Trump has turned America over like a scared dog and exposed our underside to Putin.

As I must strongly disagree..  Our enemies have lacked fear of the US long before the current President took office.  I will not pass blame on a 'who done it' .. 

See this is where I become a bit confused on exactly who did what when it comes to Russia - former President Obama announces on a late night talk show (immediately following Putin's election in 2012) that Putin had a cold war mentality - yet mocks Romney for saying Russia was our geopolitical foe in the same year?  Now there is a Russia in every pot in the US. (I do not accept the former presidents reasons for not having acted against Russia early on during the election - if they were such a threat, he should have taken steps to eliminate the threat, not just tell Putin to 'knock it off')

The current President had done nothing to help the current situation (as in done zero!), yet I think it is reaching to place the blame of Russia solely on him.  The only control Russia/Putin has over the US is what has been given them. by the news media, even the Mueller investigation is giving far to much credit to the power of Russia and Putin...  each time a story is printed placing blame on Russia / Putin .. their power over the US as a 'boogeyman' strengthens 

Just my opinion of course...

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     6 years ago

Musical chairs...LOL

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.1  seeder  Colour Me Free  replied to  Kavika @3    6 years ago

Hi Kavika,

This is way off topic .. but chatting with Perrie a couple weeks ago, I mentioned that I was having to put my Mastiff down due to cancer - she said you were going through the same thing ... so sorry that you have had to, or are still going through that, it is a difficult place to be.

Hugs!

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Colour Me Free @3.1    6 years ago

Hi Colour,

Yes I'm going through the same thing. My Sweet Girl, Annie has mass cell tumors and they have spread to her spleen and other organs..She is on pretizone. She is still eating but she is losing strength. 

It's only a matter of time, a couple of weeks I would guess. 

Sorry to hear that your Mastiff is going to have to be put down. 

Hugs...back at ya.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.1.2  seeder  Colour Me Free  replied to  Kavika @3.1.1    6 years ago

My heart goes out to you .. my Yo Yo dog had the mass cell tumors in her lung tissue and throat.. her appetite was fading quickly, I had to put her down - never wanted her to suffer in any way .. only got to be with her for 2 weeks after her diagnosis.

Yo really enjoyed chicken and scrambled eggs w/cheese .. if Annie needs a treat ..... gravy was a bonus : )

Hug Annie for me...

Peace...

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Colour Me Free @3.1.2    6 years ago

We make a egg for Annie every morning...She loves them. 

It's been 4 weeks for Annie. The vet said maybe 6 to 8 weeks...As long as she isn't suffering we'll take good care of her...I'm not looking forward to the time that we have to put her down.

shona1
PhD Quiet
3.1.4  shona1  replied to  Kavika @3.1.3    6 years ago

A/noon Colour and Kavika...Yes been in a similar position with my first Collie...I have always said once the quality of life has gone and you know in a split second...It is time...My friend of 37 years just passed away Wed..has no family what so ever, but a cat Basil...so for 2.5 months I have been feeding him twice a day 10 minutes drive away while Teresa was in hospital...Her funeral will be this Tuesday..Basil her cat is 16.5 years old and has thyroid problems...So I will have to make a decision and Friday I think will be it...I was there with Teresa when she got Basil from the pound and I will be there when his time comes...Heart breaking decisions but in the end, Basil will not suffer...Unlike Teresa who had bowel cancer...Peace to all.....

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.1.5  seeder  Colour Me Free  replied to  shona1 @3.1.4    6 years ago

So sorry for your loss Shona .. a very special thing that you have done for your dear friend - a tough decision to make for Basil.  It was hard for me to let my Yo Yo dog go, but I, like you see quality of life as everything.  She may not have been in pain, but her eyed spoke volumes to me...

Bless you for the love that you showed your dear friend and her dear friend .. Teresa was, and Basil is blessed to have you.

Peace..

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.1.6  seeder  Colour Me Free  replied to  Kavika @3.1.3    6 years ago

My thoughts are with you ...

shona1
PhD Quiet
3.1.7  shona1  replied to  Colour Me Free @3.1.6    6 years ago

And with you....

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1.11  arkpdx  replied to  Kavika @3.1.3    6 years ago
I'm not looking forward to the time that we have to put her down.

That is always hard to do. They do tell you when it is their time. My Super Cooper had a bad, failing heart. The vet at the Emergency vetspital said there was nothing more they could do for him and even if he somehow survived his quality of life from then on was poor. I couldn't make that decision to put him down and asked if I could see him and hold him one more time  They brought him into an exam room and I hugged and kissed and petted him on the floor. As we were laying there he forced himself up,  walked to the door, scratched it three times then came back to lay down with me. To me that was his signal that he was ready to go. That was 6years ago and I still cry when I think of that day. (yes I am right now)  I miss that guy more than any dog I have ever had before although I am sure I will be a total basket case when it's Waldo and Molly's time. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
3.1.12  Dowser  replied to  Kavika @3.1.1    6 years ago

Oh no!!!  I am so sorry to hear about dear Annie!

Rest assured that you have given her the best home possible, and that she will die easy, knowing she is loved.  My prayers are with you all!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
3.1.13  Dowser  replied to  Kathleen @3.1.10    6 years ago

Shona, please accept my sympathy in the loss of your friend.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @3.1.4    6 years ago

So sorry to hear of your loss Shona. 

I'm sure that you will do what is right for Basil. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.15  Kavika   replied to  Dowser @3.1.12    6 years ago

Thanks Dowser. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.16  Kavika   replied to  Kathleen @3.1.9    6 years ago

Thank you Kathleen.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.17  Kavika   replied to  arkpdx @3.1.11    6 years ago

He crossed to the Rainbow Bridge with you there arkpdx...That is a comfort for Super Cooper and for you I'm sure.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1.18  pat wilson  replied to  Kavika @3.1.3    6 years ago

It's heart-breaking. I don't know what else to say.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.19  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  shona1 @3.1.7    6 years ago

So sorry to hear about your lose shona. Damn I never know what to say at times like these. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.20  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  arkpdx @3.1.11    6 years ago

That's such a sad story arkpdx. 

That is the problem with us who keep fur family. If we are lucky, we out live them. But then we have to live with the pain of losing them. 

I understand your grieving. We never really forget any of them. I'm sorry for you loss.

Btw.. what is the name of the guy in your avatar?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1.21  arkpdx  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.20    6 years ago

The guy in my avatar I Waldo D Basset. I rescued him at age 7 from Craigslist and that is my favorite picture of him. He is now 11 and my best bud. I also am owned by a 6 year old terrier(ist) Miss Molly. She is my sweetheart. I rescued her from doggie jail (the county dig pound)

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.22  Raven Wing  replied to  shona1 @3.1.4    6 years ago

I am truly sorry for your loss, Shona. The emptiness in the part of our heart that they occupied for so many years can never be filled again. But, the memories of the time we have together will comfort us through the pain of their loss. Having lost both my children and now all the rest of my family, it is only the many happy memories that get me through each day without them. 

I have had to see several of my fur babies cross the Rainbow Bridge, and it is like losing a part of my family. The unconditional love and devotion they gave me still warms my heart, and their memories comfort me. 

But, the one thing that helps to see me through the heartbreak, is knowing that they are now in a better place and without pain and suffering. I can't ask for anything more. {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Shona}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1.23  arkpdx  replied to  Kavika @3.1.17    6 years ago

Yes but when my time comes I will not be allowed to cross the Rainbow Bridge. The is an addendum to the Rainbow Bridge story that say that animals who were unloved and unwanted wanted and mistreated during there life are not allowed to cross the bridge and become young again and are made to stay in a muddy field where the sky is always cold and gray by an angel. They remain there until an animal rescuer come and takes them all across the bridge. Well when I get there I will make sure that every single animal gets across the bridge then I am going pop that angel right in the mouth for being so mean to them. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.24  Kavika   replied to  arkpdx @3.1.23    6 years ago

My Sweet Girl is a rescue...We found here living on the mountain for how long we have no idea...She was living in a house that was undercontruction, sleeping in the garage, just framing and she had dragged a piece of plastic to sleep. She a mix, 35 lbs and very muscular. There was a log of commotion one night, coyotes, so I turned on some flood lights that we have and took a flashlight and headed to the garage. About that time 3 coyotes came running out of the garage and right behind them was Annie, she got a hold of the last one and flung it through the air. At that time she was around 25 lbs and her normal weight should of been 35...So I couldn't leave her, I took her to our vet to have her checked out and we were going to take her to the No Kill shelter...They had a 3 month waiting list and that was 5 1/2 years ago...Our mini doxie is her best friend and I'm sure that Wiki will be missing her greatly. 

BTW, Wiki is a rescue as well.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.25  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @3.1.24    6 years ago

All our fur babies have been rescues or strays. Except for the pet skunk, which my Father was given by a fellow police officer who raised them. But, after being around our two cats for a while, the skunk seemed to think he was a cat, and even went to the litter box like the cats. They played and slept together like siblings. And yes, his name was.......Pepe La Pew. (grin)

Randy
Sophomore Participates
3.1.26  Randy  replied to  Raven Wing @3.1.25    6 years ago

It's hard to believe that it will be two years this July already since we lost our Shih-Tzu  Harry. He was 13 and 1/2 and died of a lung infection. The vet said he wouldn't need to be put down and could pass away at home as long as we kept him comfortable, so he passed away in my arms with me holding him close in his dog bed on the floor. I was very glad that I got to be with him at that moment, talking top him and telling him everything was OK and to just let go and that he was loved. We had him cremated and his urn, along with his favorite sweater and toy and a paw print and a tuft of his fur are all on top of a speaker in the family room and it's nice to look at from time to time and remember when he was around.

Last July we rescued a Terrier mix from the Palm Springs animal shelter who had been abused and it took awhile for him to come out of his shell, but he sure has and is a great dog. His name is Bo, but I still catch myself slipping and calling him Harry sometimes.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.27  Raven Wing  replied to  Randy @3.1.26    6 years ago

I am truly sorry for the loss of Harry. It is really very hard to lose a true member of your family, as that is what they become over the years.

Our Border Collie, Tippy, and was devoted to our pet rabbit, April. They were so close that they slept together and played together all over the back yard. Tippy was a stray that just came up to our front door one day and laid down on our porch as if she had decided to stay. My Son and Tippy hit it off at first sight. One day my Son brought April home when she was only six weeks old. A neighbor who raised them gave him the little rabbit he had taken a liking to. Tippy immediately Mothered her like her own baby.

When Tippy got older and became blind and deaf, April would lead her around the yard and let her know when we came home. When someone came around the yard that April did not think was safe, she would lead Tippy to the fence and point her in the direction of the person(s) and then paw on Tippy's shoulder to let her know she needed to bark, and Tippy would respond by barking the the direction April indicated. 

They had a very close bond over the years and were very devoted to each other. When April walked on one day Tippy was totally devastated. She was inconsolable. No matter how hard we tried she would not eat, and lost a lot of her fur. She would sit on the patio and cry for April, she got to the point that she seemed to have lost all desire to live. We took her to the Vet, and he said that the best thing we could do for her and her broken heart and grief, was to let her go and be with April. 

Yes, it was very hard, but, I had to be as good a Friend to her as she had been to our family and April, and let her go. I held her and let her know how much she was loved. She went calmly, and although she could not hear the words I said to her, they were heard through my  caresses for her. 

It gives me comfort to know that they are now together again and happy. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
3.1.28  Randy  replied to  Raven Wing @3.1.27    6 years ago

Sometimes it really is possible to die of a broken heart. In animals and in people.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.29  Raven Wing  replied to  Randy @3.1.28    6 years ago

Very true. Some people like to think that animals don't have feelings. That they don't love or feel devotion to anything or anyone. But, those with a true heart know differently. They are not really that much different than humans, especially, when they have been around humans that show them love, compassion and devotion. They sense and learn what those feelings are and react to them in the same manner. 

Finding companionship and devotion to other animals is the same as the feelings humans have for other humans that they feel a closeness to, and when that beloved companion goes away they feel the same heartbreak and sense of emptiness as humans do. Being heartbroken is not just limited to human beings. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.30  cjcold  replied to  Raven Wing @3.1.29    6 years ago

I've known a plethora of two and four legged animals that I have considered friends (and a few with fins).

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.31  Raven Wing  replied to  cjcold @3.1.30    6 years ago

I hear that. Growing up we had all kinds of animal friends, chickens, horses, goats, sheep, a Monkey Owl, turtles, dogs, cats, birds, rats, fish, (although I didn't have much luck with the fish), toads, ducks, geese, a skunk, French lop ear rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, pot bellied pig, etc. They were all treated like family. And we were heart broken when one of them grew old and walked on. 

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.1.32  seeder  Colour Me Free  replied to  Kathleen @3.1.8    6 years ago

Hi B .. thank you .. I did not realize this thread had continued on ..

I will pick up her ashes today - spring is almost here, so I will plant new flowers with her - she always loved smelling the flowers : )

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
4  seeder  Colour Me Free    6 years ago

Thank you for sharing all the heart break and love for our beloved friends and family (some call pets, I have never felt like I was an owner - but a care giver to the animals I have been blessed to have had in my life)

Thank you again for sharing and caring so much for the 4 legged 'individuals' on this planet 'we' call home...