╌>

The Stock Market Is Having its Worst Second Quarter Since the Great Depression

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  randy  •  6 years ago  •  47 comments

The Stock Market Is Having its Worst Second Quarter Since the Great Depression

By   BLOOMBERG  
April 2, 2018

If you feel like the second quarter has begun badly, you’d be right.

U.S. stocks are on track to have their worst April start since 1929, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The S&P 500 index slumped 2.4 percent as of 1:10 p.m. in New York, a rout exceeded only by its 2.5 percent decline 89 years ago, a prelude to the devastating crash later that year that brought on the Great Depression. (Back then, the index only comprised 90 stocks.)

China’s retaliatory trade tariffs combined with President Donald Trump’s criticism of   Amazon.com   Inc. to send equities into a tailspin Monday. Shares in the online retailer tumbled, encouraging a sell-off in consumer discretionary and technology stocks. The S&P 500 broke through its 200-day moving average — a key technical support — sending volatility higher.

The stock slide also looks pretty bad when compared to the beginning of other quarters. Equities are on pace to lose more than on any other quarterly first day since October 2011, when stocks plummeted 2.8 percent, Bloomberg data show.

http://fortune.com/2018/04/02/stock-market-nyse-worst-second-quarter-depression/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
1  seeder  Randy    6 years ago

Go to the site and watch the video. It's well worth the effort and it shows this why this war is such a stupid idea and just as stupid as Trump bad mouthing Amazon is for the Tech Market. It is the reason why Trump is no longer bragging about how well the Stock Market is doing, considering that it is doing the worst in 89 years and he is the one screwing it up! 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1  Jack_TX  replied to  Randy @1    6 years ago

The market has been open for 2 days in the 2nd quarter.

Was Trump responsible for Tuesday's nearly 400 point gain?  Or is he only responsible when it goes down?

Have we run out of real things to criticize him for?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
1.1.1  seeder  Randy  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1    6 years ago

Trump has very little control over the Stock Market, though his trade war and his attack on Amazon do affect it badly. However he has to learn the lesson that his constant and I do mean loudly and CONSTANT taking credit for it rising everyday , mostly due to the Obama budget and economy still running smoothly, during the first year of his Presidency can turn and bite him in the ass when it will inevitably go down or have a correction and he'll have nothing to brag about and look like a fool during those times. Because he is.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Randy @1.1.1    6 years ago

According to the futures, it's supposed to go down a lot today, which is Wednesday. Something to do with investors getting the "jitters" and climbing that "wall of worry" about the trade war thingy. The "fundamentals" are sound and only ignorant fools are concerned with the daily, or even hourly, gyrations of the markets.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1    6 years ago

This is all thanks to donald rump and him waving his little dick around and the tariffs on China and his ranting about Amazon.  Stupid fucking moron.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Jack_TX  replied to  Randy @1.1.1    6 years ago
Trump has very little control over the Stock Market,

Well we've established a small point of agreement.

though his trade war and his attack on Amazon do affect it badly.

In the near term, yes.  But not long term.

However he has to learn the lesson that his constant and I do mean loudly and CONSTANT taking credit for it rising everyday , mostly due to the Obama budget and economy still running smoothly, during the first year of his Presidency can turn and bite him in the ass when it will inevitably go down or have a correction and he'll have nothing to brag about and look like a fool during those times. 

The tax cut will be good for the market.  

Because he is.

Who is the bigger fool....the fool or the one who pays attention to him?

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.1.5  Spikegary  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.4    6 years ago

So Trump has little control over the Market, but because of Obama's policies.........Do you even read what you type?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.6  Jack_TX  replied to  Spikegary @1.1.5    6 years ago
Do you even read what you type?

I do.  Which makes one of us.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

Why seed an article about one day in trading especially since you already knew the Dow recovered all but 80 points of those losses the very next day?  

luther28
Sophomore Silent
3  luther28    6 years ago

Perhaps if Mr. Trump would keep his lips together and his thumbs off of the keys, well you know where I'm going.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1  Greg Jones  replied to  luther28 @3    6 years ago

Trump tells it like it is and doesn't mince words. A lot of left wing people have a problem with that. Most of his supporters find his attitude refreshing and relevant.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  Tessylo    6 years ago

The majority of his supporters are ( D E L E TE D ) Skirting {SP} 

An indirect reference targets a category which includes the member. Derogatory statements attacking all within a category (e.g. liberals, conservatives, theists, atheists, Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, etc.) are indirect derogatory references.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4.2  Spikegary  replied to  Tessylo @4    6 years ago

Case in point, Greg.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Spikegary @4.2    6 years ago

Truth hurt?

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
6  DRHunk    6 years ago

down 400 up 320 down 400 up 320..sure your making up all but 80 points but at the end of the month those 80 points are going to add up and we could be under 20,000.  What happens then?

We are still down 1,000 points from March 9th peak and down 9% since January peak. I expect another 10% drop over the next month or so, realistically if you look at Market Cap on just about every stock they are 50% over valued. But people are buying stock differently these days for different reasons so its all speculation and a gamble.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.2  Sparty On  replied to  DRHunk @6    6 years ago

Fed rate hikes five straight quarters, something is going to give.   That the main point to the hikes

Quantitative easing and ZIRP are done.   Lets hope we don't need either again.    At least not to the severity that was used from from 2008 to 2016

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
7  Jonathan P    6 years ago

The S&P closed at 2640 on 3/29.

Now it's 2664.

It's up for the "quarter", all 3 1/2 days worth.

WTF are you talking about?

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
7.1  Spikegary  replied to  Jonathan P @7    6 years ago

They were hoping you wouldn't check.....

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
7.2  DRHunk  replied to  Jonathan P @7    6 years ago

We were discussing the DJIA.  What was your point again?

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
7.2.1  Jonathan P  replied to  DRHunk @7.2    6 years ago

The S&P 500 is a broader measure of market performance, as it aggregates 500 companies, as opposed to the 30 of DJIA.

But you knew that already, dincha...

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
7.2.2  DRHunk  replied to  Jonathan P @7.2.1    6 years ago

true enough but when you hear people say "the market" is up or down by a certain number of points, they're usually talking about the Dow Jones index.

AND the S&P 500 is still down 8% from its January high, and 5.3% from its march peak.  So DJIA or S&P 500, take your pick the number are pretty close to the same.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.2.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  DRHunk @7.2.2    6 years ago

So we disregard all that happed from November 9, 2016 to the highs earlier this year?  Pretend that periodic corrections or temporary bears have been eliminated from the business cycle?  Frankly I’d have been more worried if this hadn’t happened as this let the air out of a potential bubble and it had the benefit of letting me rebalance my portfolio and buy more on the dip.  

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
7.2.4  DRHunk  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.2.3    6 years ago

No one is disregarding it, what I a hearing is the party is over and its going to be a bear market for the foreseeable future. attribute it to the 8 year market cycle or blame it on to much, to fast last year.  Whatever it is the steady growth over the last 7 years with a small quick corrections is what i like to see, the quick uptick we saw this last year always seems to be followed by a long downturn and extreme volatility. 

I am not an expert by any measure and my opinion is worth about as much as penny stock =)

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
8  DRHunk    6 years ago

The market is extremely volatile right now with 1-2% swings on a daily basis. We need to see the ups out weigh the downs for some time to make up the ground lost, with the trade war looing and interest rates going up I do not think the market will recover very quickly and 2018 may end up being a flat year.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1  Krishna  replied to  DRHunk @8    6 years ago
I do not think the market will recover very quickly and 2018 may end up being a flat year.

Just curious-- how long have you been trading?

Krishna
Professor Expert
9  Krishna    6 years ago

If you invest in the market, a good way to ose money ios to base your investments on yopur political views (be they liberal or conservative)-- rather than looking at the facts. 

Rather than looking at "alternative facts" or even "fake news"-- why not look at the "true facts"? So let's do a Reality Check: here's a 1 year chart of the S & P.  So looking at that-- what do people think? Time to panic? (Is the sky really falling?)

stocksdownloadablel.png

(If you look at a chart for a short period, you can prove just about anything. But the long range picture shows that over time the market keeps going up--- and even in the best of Bull Markets there are pullbacks.

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @9    6 years ago

For those who believe the market has been negative-- have you checked out your IRA lately?

How's it doing?

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
9.2  DRHunk  replied to  Krishna @9    6 years ago

well, so much in your posts. I will touch on what is important to me. Your chart is showing the last 98 years not the last year, some would look at that and go holy shit a huge correction needs to happen.

Those who look to the more present in which this discussion is based are seeing an 8% drop in the market since January and are feeling the hit to our retirement portfolios and wondering if it is shaping up to be much like 2000 and 2008, hoping not but we are all just discussing. 

The market is and always will be pure speculation so everything is taken with a grain of salt.

I actually choose stock using a Simple Moving Average, Bollinger Band and Keltner Channel overlay with additional information derived from IMPVolatility, TTM_Squeeze, and Momentum on a 3 year weekly and monthly chart.

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
9.2.2  DRHunk  replied to  XDm9mm @9.2.1    6 years ago

We could debate whether or not the increase from Trumps first year in office can be attributed to him or not, historically the first year of every administration is attributed to the previous as policy and budgets do not have time to cause an effect. The market on the other hand is ran on perception and speculation so investors could have rallied based on what they hope Trump is going to accomplish rather than on what he has actually accomplished.

Not sure the question better or not question is valid for me, i have not had a down year in the last 16yrs some years are better than others but as a whole I'm always better.  

Better is relative.

I know a lot of people who are not better from November 16 to April 18 due to poor management of portfolios or poor trading practices or lack of participation all together, lots of variables.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
9.2.3  Explorerdog  replied to  XDm9mm @9.2.1    6 years ago

Yeah that explains the thousands I dropped in the first quarter, that is not the result of yesterdays news, how's your 401K doing now? The roller coaster has begun and typically the swings will build in amplitude just like the forecast projected. Yes, the inertia of Obama has faded replaced by the uncertainty of trump. I lost a little and gained a lot under Obama now the losses are getting big under the failed businessman trump.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.2.4  Sparty On  replied to  XDm9mm @9.2.1    6 years ago
Still better than 6000 up from when Trump was elected.

Even more impressive when considering we've had five straight quarters of rate increases of the Federal Funds rate.   Effectively every quarter since Trump became President.

Obama had NO rate increases in his 32 quarters as POTUS.   ZERO.   The rate was effectively "zero" during his entire two terms.    A nice little shot in the financial arm for his Presidency.   Trump has yet to have that luxury and that's, okay.    Preferable actually.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.2.5  Sparty On  replied to  DRHunk @9.2.2    6 years ago
I know a lot of people who are not better from November 16 to April 18 due to poor management of portfolios or poor trading practices or lack of participation all together, lots of variables.

That is no ones fault but their own.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
9.2.6  Explorerdog  replied to  Sparty On @9.2.5    6 years ago

Same strategy new result, variable = Obama then trump are there other factors at play? Yes, but trump takes credit so he also gets the blame.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.2.10  Sparty On  replied to  Explorerdog @9.2.6    6 years ago

The study of Economics is not partisan.   Politicians and some individuals try to make it so but it is not.   Not in the least.  

The basic "economics" of this is; high fed rates tend to slow our economy and low fed rates tend to stimulate our economy.   One can not escape that basic economic fact.   No matter how hard one tries to spin it.

When used at the appropriate time both have their proper place.