╌>

Acrophobia "The Fear Of Acronyms" A Newstalkers Challange?

Category:  Other

By:  badfish-h-s-fsh  •  6 years ago  •  21 comments

Acrophobia  "The Fear Of Acronyms"   A Newstalkers Challange?

download.jpg

In the infancy of online gaming circa 1997 I played a game called Acrophobia. The game was set up with a game show host bot and the first round started with three random letters and a topic. As the clock counted down the 10 to 12 people in the room went to work frantically trying to author the most creative acronym for the given letters. At the buzzer the voting round began. Each competing member had one vote to chose the most creatively brilliant acronym. The Next round progressed with four letters and continued to seven. Sadly the gaming company went under during the Dotcom crash and that was the end of it of my favorite game.

Recently I've been thinking we could play a modified version of the game on Newstalkers. I'd love to seed an article with the Acronym for each round and then close the article for one vote per member. After each article, seed the next round until we finish the final round.

I think it would give the community here a chance to have fun. A healthy break from spending our time arguing politics.

We have some creative and brilliant minds! I enjoy many of your witty comments here and thought this might work?

I have also reached out to the moderators and asked them to contribute a prize. In the spirit of fun I thought we could award the winner of each round with a Get out of CoC record, removing a mistake and relieving a required site suspension. We are all adults, why not have a little fun with our  CoC?

The Question? 

Is anyone Interested?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
2  T.Fargo    6 years ago

My wife has to attend a KPI (Key Point Indicator) meeting at work.  Nothing is really shared by management other than who screwed up what and how and why (Basically a knuckle dragging ass chewing jerk pointing fingers and making sweeping generalizations and blanket panaceas that don't work).  Everybody hates these meetings.  My new meaning for the acronym is Kinda Pretend its Important.

In other words, I'm game.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    6 years ago

I have this fear of "nyms". confused

Too many "Strings" can come into play. chuckle

katrix
Sophomore Participates
4  katrix    6 years ago

Sounds fun

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

I HATE acronyms - have to look many of them up in an acronym dictionary to figure out the meaning (sometimes there are many meanings for the same letter arrangement, so then context is needed to place it).  I think they were invented for the purpose of confusing others, and to satisfy an arrogant ego.

Unfortunately they will be perpetuated now, due to the combination of teenagers and cellphones.

It seems that no longer do people in an essay or article post the words in full, followed by the acronym in brackets, which is then used throughout the rest of the essay or article in order to not having to type over and over again a long title. Example.  "Today, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) decided to take a shot at Mars.  The scientists at NASA believe it is possible to get there during a human lifetime."

Anyway, thanks for the laugh, which burst out when I saw the suggestion for prizes. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

By the way, Badfish, I assume you know the REAL meaning of the word "acrophobia".

acrophobia

noun

1. a pathological fear of heights.

(dictionary.com).

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
7  lennylynx    6 years ago

More hangfish please.  Thank-you.  I had to leave last time before there was a reasonable chance at solving it.