╌>

'F*** the Law!': CUNY Law School Students Disrupt Professor's Lecture on Free Speech

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jasper2529  •  6 years ago  •  99 comments

'F*** the Law!': CUNY Law School Students Disrupt Professor's Lecture on Free Speech

A law professor was   heckled and shouted down   during a recent speech at the City University of New York (CUNY) School of Law by students who opposed his conservative views.

Josh Blackman, a professor at the South Texas College of Law, was invited last month by CUNY Law’s Federalist Society chapter to give a lecture on “The Importance of Free Speech on Campus.”

As he tried to give his talk, Blackman was repeatedly interrupted by protesters holding signs with slogans like “Rule of Law = White Supremacy” and "Oppressors are not welcome here."

At one point during his lecture, a protester yelled, "F*** the law!"

Blackman responded that it was a "bizarre" thing for a law student to say.

He noted that CUNY Law Dean Mary Lu Bilek defended the students after the event and said that they were engaging in a reasonable protest.

"This was not a reasonable protest," Blackman stated.

[Video in article]

Source

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Jasper2529    6 years ago

These law students will be lawyers, law professors, and judges in a few years, but they shout FUCK THE LAW to shut down someone's free speech at a lecture whose topic is free speech and why we should protect it. Absolutely stunning!!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Jasper2529 @1    6 years ago

I applaud these young people for their courage in speaking up. Who's protecting their free speech? They are. Protection of free speech doesn't mean sitting quietly until some social misfit finishes spewing vitriol. Some conservative views will elicit the opposite reaction of equal magnitude. With few exceptions free speech is still a 2 way street in America. Get used to it.   

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  devangelical @1.1    6 years ago
I applaud these young people for their courage in speaking up

What courage? How was this courageous? I see multiple people bullying one man standing alone against them. If there is anyone with courage in this picture, it's the invited speaker in the suit.

Who's protecting their free speech?

Who's threatening it? No one! The only person whose speech needs defending is the guy at the podium.

some social misfit finishes spewing vitriol

He's a law professor. How does that make him a social misfit? And what - specifically - in his speech would you classify as "vitriol?"

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.2  magnoliaave  replied to  devangelical @1.1    6 years ago

you are so wrong!  Law students are there to learn not disrespect their instructor.

After they graduate, if they do and pass their bar exam, if they do, then is the time to throw in their two cents. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
1.1.3  Cerenkov  replied to  devangelical @1.1    6 years ago

"With few exceptions free speech is still a 2 way street in America. Get used to it. "

Obviously a lecture is one of those exceptions. How do you not understand that? Do you shout down actors at a theater too?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  devangelical @1.1    6 years ago

Your comment is SO way out of line.  Obviously you're not a lawyer.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.5  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Cerenkov @1.1.3    6 years ago
Do you shout down actors at a theater too?

Apparently people on the Right do.

An audience disruption took place at the Saturday evening production of "Hamilton" at the PrivateBank Theatre in downtown Chicago.
According to audience member Brea Hayes of Batavia, who was at the performance, an audience member seated in the front of the balcony shouted profanities and election-related political statements after the cast sang the line, "Immigrants / We get the job done," which is part of the show's "Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down)" number.

It lasted for two songs during the performance.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
1.1.6  Rmando  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1.5    6 years ago

There should be a special number added to all musicals just for the left called "Whataboutism".

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.7  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Rmando @1.1.6    6 years ago

I can't help that one of your own asked a question of which I had the answer. If you don't like the answer then fix your party.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
1.1.8  Cerenkov  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1.5    6 years ago

Cool. They were very brave apparently. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.9  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Cerenkov @1.1.8    6 years ago

Actually, the person doing the shouting during the performance was an asshat.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1.5    6 years ago

There was that Shakespeare play that depicted Trump that also got shouted down - I guess "shouting down" has become the new method of censorship in the USA.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.11  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.10    6 years ago
I guess "shouting down" has become the new method of censorship in the USA.

Especially when it has to do with telling the truth about Trump.

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.1.12  zuksam  replied to  devangelical @1.1    6 years ago

Everyone has the right to free speech but that doesn't include disrupting someone else's speech, it doesn't matter if it's left or right if you disrupt or make a nuisance of yourself you should be ejected or arrested.  I support their right to hold their own event in which they can make their own speeches or they can picket the event (outside the event) but to attend an event for the specific purpose of disrupting it is disturbing the peace and it is against the law, it is not free speech. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
1.1.13  Cerenkov  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1.9    6 years ago

One of your own would clearly disagree. It's two way... 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.14  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Cerenkov @1.1.13    6 years ago

I don't care if they disagree with me, it's the American way, you should learn this. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but, not their own facts.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.15  Raven Wing  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1.14    6 years ago
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but, not their own facts.

Exactly. thumbs up

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.16  Greg Jones  replied to  devangelical @1.1    6 years ago

Protection of free speech doesn't mean sitting quietly until some social misfit finishes spewing vitriol.

Who says he is spewing vitriol? To liberals vitriol is anything they don't agree with. They were trying to censor and suppress his speech, which is an old and common left wing tactic.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.17  Split Personality  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.16    6 years ago
Who says he is spewing vitriol? To liberals vitriol is anything they don't agree with. They were trying to censor and suppress his speech, which is an old and common left wing tactic.

You would be correct if you had said;

To partisans, vitriol is anything they disagree with.  Censorship and suppression are old and common human tactics.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.18  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.10    6 years ago

Actually, my memory may be faulty there. Perhaps all that happened was many in the audience disagreed with what was produced, and some sponsors told the company they just blew their sponsorship. Is removing sponsorship a form of censorship?  If so, it can be effective when the country runs on dollars.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.19  magnoliaave  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1.5    6 years ago

Actors?  Law students?  Where is there any comparison?

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
1.1.20  Cerenkov  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1.14    6 years ago

Way over your head, huh?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.21  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.1    6 years ago

It is not a free speech right to shutdown another’s free speech nor the ability of those trying to hear said free speech to be able to hear it.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.22  XXJefferson51  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.16    6 years ago

It’s their Antifa way.  

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.23  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.21    6 years ago
It is not a free speech right to shutdown another’s free speech nor the ability of those trying to hear said free speech to be able to hear it.

Once again you are ignorant of what our free speech protections are.

Free speech only says that you cannot be fined or arrested by the government for your speech until that speech becomes an imminent threat to others.

You do not have the right not to be criticized or heckled by other people for your views because doing so would be a restriction on their same free speech rights. This was not a violation of his constitutional rights, unless you can prove that they are government employees and he was fined for arrested after his lecture. 

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.1.24  zuksam  replied to  epistte @1.1.23    6 years ago
Free speech only says that you cannot be fined or arrested by the government for your speech until that speech becomes an imminent threat to others.

Free Speech only means you can't be arrested for What You Say (as in Subject Matter), it doesn't mean you can say it anywhere or anytime you want. Try to exercise your "Free Speech" in a Movie Theater, Restaurant, or a Court and they'll ask you to leave and if you refuse you'll be arrested. If you stand on your own front lawn a 3am exercising your Free Speech and your neighbor calls the Cops you'll be told to Stop or face Arrest. The only reason these Hecklers weren't arrested is because this Law School apparently lets their students run wild and disrespect guest speakers with no repercussions. They may have gotten away with disrupting this Guys Speech but if you believe it was because they had the right to do it because of Free Speech Protections you are Dead Wrong. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.1.25  KDMichigan  replied to  epistte @1.1.23    6 years ago
You do not have the right not to be criticized or heckled by other people

Soon as I seen that I thought of Kathy Griffin.

She is the epitome of the hard left, I just seen a plea om how life sucks for her.

So how do you feel about that ban she had?

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.26  epistte  replied to  KDMichigan @1.1.25    6 years ago
She is the epitome of the hard left, I just seen a plea om how life sucks for her.

Comedians often cross the line of what is considered good taste. It is part of the job.  She moved on and is back on tour with limited dates.

I was unaware that as a lefty I had to like Kathy Griffin because I never found her funny. I never liked Joan Rivers, Jay Leno or Jerry Seinfeld.

TTGA
Professor Silent
1.1.27  TTGA  replied to  epistte @1.1.26    6 years ago
I was unaware that as a lefty I had to like Kathy Griffin because I never found her funny. I never liked Joan Rivers, Jay Leno or Jerry Seinfeld.

And, yet, those of us on the right, at least according to the leftists, must love Donald Trump.  You folks probably have a very small clue.  I don't even like Trump, I simply despise him less than I despise Hillary and the rest of the Leftist leadership.  I think that you'll find that most on the right think the same.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.28  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Cerenkov @1.1.20    6 years ago
Way over your head, huh?

It must difficult for you to understand the way things work in this country, a person can have a difference of opinion in this country, it's the facts that often get in the way of someone's opinion.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.29  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  magnoliaave @1.1.19    6 years ago

Perhaps that both events were disrupted by protestors. Duh.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    6 years ago

I am honestly bewildered at the idea that someone is actually admitted to a law school and is incapable of supporting the 1st Amendment, not to mention conflating the ideas of white supremacy and free speech.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1  epistte  replied to  Tacos! @2    6 years ago
I am honestly bewildered at the idea that someone is actually admitted to a law school and is incapable of supporting the 1st Amendment, not to mention conflating the ideas of white supremacy and free speech.

Free speech only means that you are not fined or arrested for your speech. Free speech rights do not mean that you aren't criticized for your ideas/speech. If that were the law then the free speech of everyone else would be curtailed in comparison to yours. These students were rude and juvenile but they did not in any way deprive this man of his free speech rights because they could not, unless they were employed by the government. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Tacos! @2    6 years ago

I saw no one grabbing him, hitting him or preventing him from speaking. The one who responded with "F the Law" to his jab about if you don't like white supremacy then change the law was of course out of line. but it did not appear his freedom to speak was being thwarted. Sure, he was surrounded by counter views to his own and wished he could go back to his safe space in Texas where more people think like he does and don't want to treat DACA recipients with respect or as humans, but he certainly wasn't prevented from speaking. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences of that speech, it means you can say what you want without fear of the government carting you away, but everyone else has the freedom to think you're an ignorant racist waste of space and tell you so to your face.

It seems the real snowflakes who can't take the heat of some hand drawn signs are conservatives.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.2    6 years ago

Your attitude in this makes me shake my head about what a sad world this has become. I won't be around much longer to see where society is headed, but I especially feel sorry for my children and grandchildren who will witness the destruction of civility.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
2.2.2  magnoliaave  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.1    6 years ago

Yes and yes!  You are an attorney.  Would you have had the audacity to treat your professor this way even if you disagreed?

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2.2.3  lennylynx  replied to  magnoliaave @2.2.2    6 years ago

Good morning Mango! Big hugs  Donut?

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2.2.5  lennylynx  replied to  Release The Kraken @2.2.4    6 years ago

I'm partial to sour cream myself.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  magnoliaave @2.2.2    6 years ago

Only if I wanted to get booted out of law school - for establishing that I didn't have what it takes to be a lawyer.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    6 years ago

Ideas are scary! Musn't let lawyers hear something they don't like. 

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1  epistte  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    6 years ago

This guy is an originalist, which is illogical. That idea doesn't get any better if you hear him or you don't.  I would have liked to be there any play devil's advocate. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  epistte @3.1    6 years ago

What do you mean by originalist??

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.2  epistte  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.1    6 years ago
What do you mean by originalist??

He is a constitutional literalist. Scalia was another one of these hypocritical idiots. These people claim to only read the original words of the constitution and ignore the writer's other works or how the combustion or society has changed with time, until those other ideas are in their favor.  They like to claim that the Constitution is not a living document.

A free speech originalist should not be on the internet because it was never considered at the time of the writing, so it is not protected speech.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  epistte @3.1.2    6 years ago
ree speech originalist should not be on the internet because it was never considered at the time of the writing, so it is not protected speech.

That might be the silliest, most ignorant description of originalism, I've ever seen. Congrats on that, at least. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1.4  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  epistte @3.1    6 years ago
This guy is an originalist, which is illogical.

It wouldn't matter if he's a unicorn. He was an invited guest who was approved by the law school to give a speech. As is virulently common these days starting in Kindergarten, the Left shut down his right to speak about EVERYONE'S right to free speech.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.5  epistte  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.3    6 years ago
That might be the silliest, most ignorant description of originalism, I've ever seen. Congrats on that, at least.

Your reply was far from convincing.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

The first thing the Law School Dean said to us on our first day in law school was that the first thing we were going to have to know is that there are at least two sides to every story, and we are going to have to listen to and learn and be as prepared to argue every side as well as the one we represent.  Only then can we call ourselves lawyers.

Looks to me like Canadian law students are better prepared to be Lawyers than close-minded American ones.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1  epistte  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    6 years ago

Most of the time there are more than 2 sides, unless it is completely binary argument. 

They would have been intelligent to sit down and then engage him in a debate than a juvenile shouting match

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  epistte @4.1    6 years ago

Absolutely right. I pity the clients these children will have when they (or if they) graduate.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    6 years ago

I don't believe in shouting down speakers, particularly when they are giving a scheduled and promoted talk in a hall or auditorium. If they were outside on a street corner it might be a different story. They should let him give his speech. 

It does make me curious as to why students would oppose this guy so drastically. I'll have to look him up and see what nutty far right positions he espouses. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @5    6 years ago
"I'll have to look him up and see what nutty far right positions he espouses."

From what I posted about being aware of every side of an argument, does it really matter, John?  An uneducated trash-hat or a person with a very low IQ can be tolerated, but a potential lawyer? You cannot learn, even if it's just to be prepared to argue a different point of view, if your mind is closed.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1    6 years ago

" You cannot learn, even if it's just to be prepared to argue a different point of view, if your mind is closed."

There is a very good Navajo proverb that sort of covers that:

f7252072486e65bac5435c2d6b160e11.jpg

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Raven Wing @5.1.1    6 years ago

Is you mind open or closed.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1.2    6 years ago

The topic is not me. Don't try to derail.' K?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Raven Wing @5.1.1    6 years ago

I think the audience never learned grandpappy's adage, that when you're talking, you ain't learning nothin'.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1.5  XXJefferson51  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1.2    6 years ago

So very closed.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1.6  XXJefferson51  replied to  Raven Wing @5.1.3    6 years ago

Why not?  You do it to me all the time on my seeds, making me instead of the seeded topic the issue.  Well said Greg.  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.1.7  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.4    6 years ago

"that when you're talking, you ain't learning nothin'."

Very true. And there is an old Cherokee Proverb as well....

bc3f686aea38a80ae7c853c2460f47d3.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Raven Wing @5.1.7    6 years ago

LOL

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
5.2  Skrekk  replied to  JohnRussell @5    6 years ago
It does make me curious as to why students would oppose this guy so drastically.

He's a member of the Federalist Society.    Any sane lawyer would have a problem with that.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Skrekk @5.2    6 years ago

A sane lawyer SHOULDN'T have a problem with that - if he is so deranged, then it should be easy to debate him to the extent of making a fool of him. The issue here is that either they were incapable of debating him or didn't have the legal wherewithal to make it an exercise to hone their arguing/debating ability, but simply acted like spoiled children instead.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
6  Sunshine    6 years ago

F... the Law -

Such a well thought out and professionally articulated argument.

University is doing a great job.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
7  Mark in Wyoming     6 years ago

well I doubt if any of these individuals , if they ever pass the bar in any state , would be of the caliber of a $500 an hr attorney, you'ld be better off calling Saul.

I would love to be in the gallery and watch one of these mental midgets in court , tell any judge , to f*ck the law or the rule of law,  they will find out real quick how much "free speech" they have within the walls of the bench and thre justice that sits at its head that day.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
7.1  Cerenkov  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @7    6 years ago

I doubt any of these geniuses will graduate let alone pass the bar. They don't have the intellectual capacity. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Cerenkov @7.1    6 years ago

They can always go to Berkeley and be among their level of ignorance.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1.1    6 years ago

Ah, yes, The Peoples Republic of Berzerkeley!  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8  bbl-1    6 years ago

Tough call here.  Free speech for those conservatives who, if they could, would remove free speech.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
8.1  arkpdx  replied to  bbl-1 @8    6 years ago

You mean those "students" that attempted to silence the speaker mention in the seed,  the "protesters" at Berkley and other places that attempted to keep Ben Shapiro and others from speaking and the group in Portland Oregon who threatened violence if a Republican group would have been allowed to March in the parade and other like them were all conservatives?  Tell me of one place where the conservatives have threatened someone's speech in some way. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  arkpdx @8.1    6 years ago

No. 

And where conservatives threaten free speech?  How about Gorka and Miller for starters.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
8.1.2  arkpdx  replied to  bbl-1 @8.1.1    6 years ago

and they did what? 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
8.1.3  Skrekk  replied to  bbl-1 @8.1.1    6 years ago

Hasn't Trump himself threatened to "jail" reporters?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.1.4  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  bbl-1 @8.1.1    6 years ago
And where conservatives threaten free speech?  How about Gorka and Miller for starters.

Please give documented examples with links to show where and how Gorka and Miller shut down free speech and wouldn't allow people to speak.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8.2  Greg Jones  replied to  bbl-1 @8    6 years ago
Free speech for those conservatives who, if they could, would remove free speech.

Left wing lie.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8.2.1  bbl-1  replied to  Greg Jones @8.2    6 years ago

Nope.  A right wing goal.

epistte
Junior Guide
8.2.2  epistte  replied to  Greg Jones @8.2    6 years ago
Left wing lie.

Taking a knee is free speech. Trump wants those players to be fired.

Here is a list of his various First Amendment opposition,

Trump has mocked the First Amendment’s right to freedom of religion by calling for a ban on Muslims from entering the country and criticized those who believe in the freedom of speech as “foolish people.” He has also endorsed attacks on protesters and the imprisonment of people who burn the flag.

And he has made it very clear that he doesn’t stand for the freedom of the press. As a presidential candidate, Trump told supporters he would “open up our libel laws” to sue journalists. “We’re going to have people sue you like you’ve never got sued before,” he promised.

Trump the candidate also blacklisted reporters and entire news outlets from campaign events, referred to journalists as “scum” and “slime,” and mocked a reporter for having a disability. He vowed to sue women who reported incidents of sexual harassment and assault, along with the outlets that covered their accounts , and threatened a lawsuit against a Hispanic journalist group for calling out his bigoted remarks.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
8.2.3  Sunshine  replied to  epistte @8.2.2    6 years ago

Obama actually had reporters surveilled trying to squash free speech.  Obama was more of a threat to our civil liberties than any other president in history.

(CBS News) Court documents released this week show the Obama administration secretly monitored a Washington journalist. In seeking a search warrant, the FBI called Fox News' James Rosen a "criminal co-conspirator," even though he isn't charged with any crime.

These revelations have set off a firestorm of criticism from the left and right, CBS News' Jan Crawford reports. For the first time ever, a presidential administration is treating news reporting like a crime, and a reporter like a criminal suspect.

The level of government surveillance of a reporter was unprecedented. Agents monitored Rosen's movements in and out of the State Department. They searched his personal emails and combed through his cell phone records.

Crawford added on "CBS This Morning," "Now, of course, media critics (including) the American Civil Liberties Union say no presidential administration -- not even the Nixon administration -- went after reporters with search warrants and secret surveillance, and journalists I'm talking to in Washington ... are saying they are seeing the impact of this, that their sources and whistleblowers -- those people who can be so important in bringing out information to the public that the government may obviously want to keep secret -- that they're afraid to talk, that they're staying silent. And that, they say, could be the real impact of this. If the administration kind of intimidates people into not coming forward, people stay silent and the administration gets to control the information and the story."

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
8.2.4  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Sunshine @8.2.3    6 years ago
Obama was more of a threat 

ya got that right

pedovore1.png podovore2.jpg

luther28
Sophomore Silent
9  luther28    6 years ago

Free speech is a two way street, if you do not care for what is being said, well don't listen.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
12  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago
I can attest to the fact that there are a large number of Americans that think all the partisanship that is denying others the right to speak - does not speak for 'us'..................... 'we' would rather try to debate the issues and have an open conversation, all opinions allowed!

A voice of reason, in a sea of partisan comments. 

Full disclosure, this was where I did my undergrad. The law school is part of Queens College. 

I have no problem with this guy speaking. I don't know if they did or didn't, but they should have a Q&A after at which time, these students could speak. They can protest outside of the auditorium. This way, no one's free speech is encumbered. 

And the kid with "F the law", needs to have a meeting with the dean about maybe a new career direction. 

But what saddens me, as I read this article and the comments that go along with it, is that everyone is trying to silence each other, but with different tactics. It is truly disturbing. Without free speech, our Constitution means nothing.

I am disturbed at the dean's reaction. While I agree that these kids had the right to protest, I don't agree with how it was handled. When it comes to free speech, the rule of thumb is usually, the right of free speech ends, when it steps on someone else's toes... and this certainly did.. and a dean of a law school should know that. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
12.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12    6 years ago
I am disturbed at the dean's reaction. While I agree that these kids had the right to protest, I don't agree with how it was handled. When it comes to free speech, the rule of thumb is usually, the right of free speech ends, when it steps on someone else's toes... and this certainly did.. and a dean of a law school should know that.

Well said!

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
12.2  Colour Me Free  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12    6 years ago
But what saddens me, as I read this article and the comments that go along with it, is that everyone is trying to silence each other, but with different tactics. It is truly disturbing. Without free speech, our Constitution means nothing.

Agreed..

What happened to speech and debate?  It 'was' such an important part of communication .. individuals stating their positions, with a debate to follow - one could form a more educated opinion, based on the varying views presented .. seems as though college campuses (as an example - it is happening everywhere) are no longer embracing this form of communication.  (Too much I am right and you are wrong .. makes it difficult to see through the 'fog' of partisanship .. in my opinion)

I was a child during the protests of the 60's and 70's over Vietnam .. things became violent, understanding/communication was lost ... there is a song that remains relative.. yet I think the meaning of is misinterpreted.... 

Peace! 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
12.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Colour Me Free @12.2    6 years ago

I love that song! We must be about the same age. 

What happened to speech and debate?  It 'was' such an important part of communication .. individuals stating their positions, with a debate to follow - one could form a more educated opinion, based on the varying views presented .. seems as though college campuses (as an example - it is happening everywhere) are no longer embracing this form of communication.  (Too much I am right and you are wrong .. makes it difficult to see through the 'fog' of partisanship .. in my opinion)

Again, I totally agree. But please note, only Vic said something positive about our discussion... everyone else is caught up in their partisanship.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
12.2.2  Colour Me Free  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12.2.1    6 years ago

My youngest is 17, does not think he has all the answer - has been involved in speech and debate since his Freshman year ... as a mom, I am a non conformist - and have raised him to think for himself and to speak his mind with respect. 

I am honestly confused by what I am seeing happening .. my hat has been off to the young people of Parkland for coming together and speaking their minds - yet I was lost when 'seemingly' a decision was made that a specific position was the correct one and all others were wrong.  Is this what America is to look forward to?  Is this the 'leadership' to be applauded?  Discussion will no longer be relevant just do as one is told to do?  .................. is that not what so many are complaining about Trump for doing the same (?) he is acting like a dictator and that his way is the right way - and that he bullies on Social media and in the press?  

I am confident that as time goes on things will begin to make more sense to me - as of now, I do not understand shouting over others, demanding ones right to do/speak as they believe - while trying to diminish another's right to speak their beliefs .. scarily those that shout over others are being applauded for having 'courage' .. takes more courage to listen to others views ... and have a conversation!

I turned 52 in February ... Yay : )

Vic has always been open minded to my opinions and research - his opinions/view points are strong - yet, it has always been my experience that Vic does not hesitate to consider 'non combative' input, even if he does not agree.

(of course, as always just my opinion : )

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
12.3  bbl-1  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12    6 years ago

Well said.  Often, the best counter to an idiot on the podium is to allow the idiot to speak.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
14  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

That's dumb, let the man give his speech, be a respectful audience member.