╌>

Israeli 3D-printed veggie burgers coming to a restaurant near you

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  6 years ago  •  56 comments

veggieburger.jpg

3D-printed veggie burger. (illustrative) (shutterstock)

An up-and-coming startup promises to revolutionize the fast food industry by printing ready-to-eat plant-based burgers in three minutes.

By: Batya Jerenberg, World Israel News, April 25, 2018

Chef-It, an Israeli food-tech company, has its eyes on a juicy prize: Taking a chunk of the massive fast-food industry by creating a 3-D printer that can quickly “print” and simultaneously grill a meatless hamburger, as reported in Calcalist Tuesday.

The ingredients in the burger are raw materials made of cellulose, plant-based proteins, fats and flavorings stuffed into a capsule. At the touch of a button, the machine would print out the rare, medium or well done meal while cooking it using infrared light.

Chef-It co-founder Prof. Oded Shoseyov claims the food can taste either grilled, baked or fried. The professor of plant molecular biology, protein engineering and nano-biotechnology at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem has set up a prototype of his machine at the university’s Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Environment in Rehovot. Currently, it takes ten minutes to print a burger, he told Calcalist, but he estimates that within several months his team will be able to get the time down to three minutes.

This will enable the company to offer something new and appetizing in many ways to the millions of people who flock to fast-food restaurants and have given McDonald’s alone nearly $23 billion in revenue in 2017, according to statista.com. As Shoseyov explained, the main ingredient, cellulose, can potentially be manipulated to mimic any kind of food, while having zero glycemic value and zero calories. This means that those on special diets, such as diabetics or celiacs, as well as those who want to simply lose weight, could eat these burgers.

Shoseyov also pointed out that this kind of hamburger would also be a lot more friendly to the environment, as the meat industry is one of the world’s greatest polluters, the report said. (A single cow emits on average per year between 70 and 120 kg of methane, a greenhouse gas that is 23 times more powerful than the carbon dioxide found in car exhaust in terms of its contribution to global warming.)

Chef-It is currently in the process of raising $2 million in a funding round and expects to complete it in the next two months.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Coming soon to a neighbourhood near you.  LOL

Pedro
Professor Participates
2  Pedro    6 years ago

I've been waiting for this particular use, legitimately.

I've been expecting 3D printers to become food replicators or what have you since the technology was first announced.

Pedro
Professor Participates
3  Pedro    6 years ago

Is there a link to the actual source article?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Pedro @3    6 years ago

https://worldisraelnews.com/report-israeli-3d-printed-veggie-burgers-coming-restaurant-near/?utm_source=MadMimi&utm_medium=email&

Pedro
Professor Participates
3.1.1  Pedro  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    6 years ago
https://worldisraelnews.com/report-israeli-3d-printed-veggie-burgers-coming-restaurant-near/?utm_source=MadMimi&utm_medium=email&

This link worked perfectly. Thanks

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Pedro @3    6 years ago

https://worldisraelnews.com/report-israeli-3d-printed-veggie-burgers-coming-restaurant-near/?utm_source=MadMimi&utm_medi#__NO_LINK_PROXY__

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2    6 years ago

Let me know when it can 3D print Frybread. Laugh

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @3.2.1    6 years ago

Are you willing to invest in the development of the product if you can have the frybread concession?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2    6 years ago

One of the above should work if you copy and paste it in your browser.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.4  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.2    6 years ago

I am willing to invest Buzz....I've got bags and bags of wooden nickels ready to go..Laugh

Enoch
Masters Quiet
3.2.5  Enoch  replied to  Kavika @3.2.4    6 years ago

Dear Friends and Brothers Buzz and Kavika: I am almost ready to invest. 

Just ironing out the wrinkles on the bills I will use to pay for the investment.

Using my three D printer, I have $100, $500 and $1,000 bills in Puce, Mauve and Aquamarine.

Pictures on the bills are Elmer Fudd, Haystacks Calhoun and Leon Redbone.

Like I said, as soon as I iron out some wrinkles I will be ready to make a substantive investment.

Think Freedom of the Press.

Enoch, Giving a pair of $7.00's and a 40 cent and 60 cent coin as change for a $15.00 bill with a picture of Edgar Allen Poe on plaid paper.       

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.6  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Enoch @3.2.5    6 years ago

Now if only the technique is developed to print consecutive serial numbers.....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.7  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.6    6 years ago

This article is starting to develop into one of those old Alec Guiness English Ealing Studio comedies.  The Ladykillers, The Lavender Hill Mob, etc.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
3.2.8  Enoch  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.6    6 years ago

Dear Friend Buzz: I got it to print out the number 98.6 on each bill.

Will that suffice?

E.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.9  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Enoch @3.2.8    6 years ago

Sounds normal to me.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
3.2.10  Enoch  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.9    6 years ago

LOL

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     6 years ago

I am so glad to be born back when we had real food. At least the memories remain...lol 

This machine looks like some made up contraption from maybe the old movie "Soylent Green" 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4    6 years ago

LOL. Hopefully we never get to the stage that Soylent Green was at.

Sophomore Guide
4.1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    6 years ago
Hopefully we never get to the stage that Soylent Green was at.

I agree, but everyday I see it getting closer to reality and further away from where we came from even 30 years ago. 

I dont know why but I remember the food scenes quiet vividly. How the old man described the foods they use to have and how precious that one steak was. LOL 

Well I guess it's time to nuke my frozen dinner, so later....lol

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.1    6 years ago

I think this story is more relevant to what Robbie the Robot in Forbidden Planet could do.

Sophomore Guide
4.1.3  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.2    6 years ago

I'll take your word for it, I'm not much for movies and I haven't seen that one. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.3    6 years ago

For years I administered a group on NT called Classic Cinema, but unfortunately not enough members were interested in such movies, and I became pretty the only one who contributed to it, so I deleted it.

Sophomore Guide
4.1.5  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.4    6 years ago

Its not like I dont enjoy movies, I just am pretty active and movies take so much time. I decided long ago that when I get to the point I am not able to be so active I will have almost every movie ever made to lay around and choose from for the rest of my life. 

If I don't live that long, O-well. I'd rather live my life than watch life being lived anyway.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.6  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.5    6 years ago

Actually, that's not such a bad attitude.

Sophomore Guide
4.1.7  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.6    6 years ago

thanks, I do enjoy a old classic from time to time in the meantime.

I get a kick out of the old time scenery, the vehicles, the clothing  and how skinny everyone was back then especially in the old song and dance musicals. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
4.1.8  charger 383  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    6 years ago
            Soylent Green
soon as I this seed, Soylent Green came to mind

Sophomore Guide
4.1.9  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  charger 383 @4.1.8    6 years ago

lol

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    6 years ago

MacManna? Somehow I don't think that is kosher...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JBB @5    6 years ago

It's vegetarian, no problem.

zuksam
Junior Silent
6  zuksam    6 years ago

I've been dreaming of a machine like this ever since I was a kid watching The Jetson's and their Foodaracacycle. They're going to have to get it to create real food though cause I need calories.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
6.1  Spikegary  replied to  zuksam @6    6 years ago

Yeah, as its currently a veggie burger, I won't ever eat one.......

Pedro
Professor Participates
6.1.1  Pedro  replied to  Spikegary @6.1    6 years ago

They actually aren't bad. They used to be when they first were being introduced to the world, but now, they fairly well are delicious. The big change is veggie patties went from being made almost exclusively from textured protein, but these days, they typically have more beans and whole grains, plus any number of other veggie ingredients.

It's worth at least a glance while at the store, if only just to see what really is out there these days.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Pedro @6.1.1    6 years ago

This article got me in the mood for a veggie burger and so I ate one for supper tonight.

Pedro
Professor Participates
6.1.3  Pedro  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.2    6 years ago

Never a bad decision IMO.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
6.1.4  Spikegary  replied to  Pedro @6.1.1    6 years ago

Still not buying in........

Pedro
Professor Participates
6.1.5  Pedro  replied to  Spikegary @6.1.4    6 years ago

:)

A friend of mine ate a triple burger on a dare, where it was one beef, one veggie, and one spicy chicken patty. The veggie burger definitely didn't belong. Texture was an issue.

zuksam
Junior Silent
6.1.6  zuksam  replied to  Pedro @6.1.1    6 years ago

I used to get veggie taco filling for camping and it was good, you could make tacos or add refried beans and have veggie burritos. I think it was Chickpeas that it was made of and of course lots of spices but the texture wasn't bad as long as you cooked it properly and didn't add to much water and ate it right away because it would get mushy as leftovers.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
6.1.7  Spikegary  replied to  zuksam @6.1.6    6 years ago

As someone who is not an enjoyer of beans (outside of green beans....and maybe, jelly beans), that would still be a 'no' for me.......

zuksam
Junior Silent
6.1.8  zuksam  replied to  Spikegary @6.1.7    6 years ago

While I do like beans the reason I liked the Taco Mix was that it was a good fake, as long as it wasn't overcooked it had the crumbled ground beef texture and because of the taco seasoning it tasted like it could be meat. Of course my main objective was easy food for camping and it didn't need refrigeration and you just added water in the pan and cook for five minutes. I am a Meat Eater and I always will be and veggie burgers are not on my menu but I'll try anything once.

Ender
Professor Principal
7  Ender    6 years ago

Might be a good idea for long space travel or a trip to mars.

I guess one of these days they will be able to print up a new heart or liver.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @7    6 years ago

It's already on its way...

Sophomore Guide
7.1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1    6 years ago

Good IMO that 's much better than clones of us for parts. 

lol

Ender
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1    6 years ago

Nice. I can only imagine what the next 100 years will hold. Too bad I won't be around to see it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @7.1.2    6 years ago

Nor will I, unless they discover that they can replant my brain into a new 3D body.

zuksam
Junior Silent
7.1.4  zuksam  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1    6 years ago

One Machine to make a Scotch and another to make a new Liver and a self driving Car so you don't get a DUI.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.5  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  zuksam @7.1.4    6 years ago

I think Scotch is what Robbie the Robot produced.

Pedro
Professor Participates
7.1.6  Pedro  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1.5    6 years ago

Bender also.

raw.gif

zuksam
Junior Silent
7.1.7  zuksam  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1.5    6 years ago
I think Scotch is what Robbie the Robot produced.

I just looked him up to see and I couldn't find out but I did see that the Original Robbie the Robot Suit was Sold in New York on November 21, 2017 for $5,375,000. The story of the suit is quite interesting after Forbidden Planet MGM reused the Robot in several other movies then in 1971 the Original Suit was sold and put on display at a Museum near Disneyland and visitors vandalized him and he had to be restored twice but the MGM Prop Dept. had built enough spare parts that the robot was restored both times using original replacement parts, apparently when MGM sold the suit it came with multiple stage cases filled with spares.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.8  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  zuksam @7.1.7    6 years ago

Thanks, Z.  That's an interesting bit of trivia.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

I would need to see video to believe this.  The picture is obviously nothing but a real sandwich with the bun sliced to look like it is being 3d printed.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8    6 years ago

The picture caption specifies that it's "illustrative" which means, I believe, that it isn't an actual photo, but an artist's rendition.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1    6 years ago

Odd, since they claim to have a working prototype.  I call bs.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.1.1    6 years ago

"Not so fast, Louie" (Casablanca)

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8.1.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.2    6 years ago

a team at the Netherlands Organization for Applied Scientific Research in Germany has developed a printing method for microalgae, a natural source of protein, carbohydrates, pigments, and antioxidants. In one study, research lead Kjeld van Bommel added milled mealworm to a shortbread cookie recipe.

Sounds delicious ... vomit

To be clear, I’m very familiar with 3D printing and it’s role in the food industry, but it’s nowhere near being able to make a burger that looks or tastes anything like a burger. The picture is thoroughly deceiving, because this particular invention is nowhere near being a reality.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.1.3    6 years ago

Okay, then - back to the future.