╌>

A Native American WWII hero who served as a code talker has died at the age of 92

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tfargo  •  6 years ago  •  12 comments

A Native American WWII hero who served as a code talker has died at the age of 92

http://dailynativenews.site/2018/03/a-native-american-wwii-hero-who-served-as-a-code-talker-has-died-at-the-age-of-92

Gilbert Horn sr.jpg

GREAT FALLS, Mont.  — Gilbert Horn Sr., a Native American code talker who returned from World War II to spend decades serving the Fort Belknap Assiniboine Tribe as a judge and council member, has died of natural causes. He was 92.

Horn died Sunday at Northern Montana Care Center in Havre, Kirkwood Funeral Home said. His memorial service was scheduled Wednesday.

Horn was born on the Fort Belknap Indian Reservation in 1923. He joined the U.S. National Guard at age 15 as a way to escape the poverty of the reservation. He enlisted in the Army at 17 after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.

Horn was initially trained as a sharpshooter and later received some training in communications and encryption and joined other Indians who used their native languages to send coded messages during World War II. The work of the code talkers remained classified until 1968.

Horn volunteered for service as a member of Merrill’s Marauders, a special operations unit of 2,750 men whose mission was to cut Japanese communications and supply lines in the Burmese jungle, the Great Falls Tribune reported.

“It was a fighting unit, ready for action any time,” Horn told the Tribune during an interview for a story published in January 2014. “I wanted to go see the war. I didn’t want to be in Montana all my life. I wanted to see what’s across that big waters called the oceans.”

The unit made an 800-mile trek over the Himalaya Mountains into the jungle with only the weapons and supplies they could carry on the 720 mules and horses they brought with them. The Marauders fought through monsoon season. Troops suffered from malaria, dysentery and typhus. Horn was wounded four times.

“There was no support. We didn’t have any artillery. They just kept on knocking us down, whittling us down,” he said in 2014. “It is hard to believe what we had to go through.”

Horn — one of 1,200 soldiers who survived the Marauders’ campaign — was awarded a Purple Heart. Each soldier also received a Bronze Star.

Despite his military heroics, when Horn returned to the reservation in June 1945, he said he was “treated like dirt.”

Veterans were supposed to be given preferential treatment when applying for certain jobs and qualify for low-interest federal housing loans, but he said that almost never happened.

He worked on his grandparents’ farm and received schooling in business management, psychology and legal work.

Horn served on the Assiniboine Treaty Committee for 68 years. He was a member of the Fort Belknap Community Council for 19 years and was a tribal judge for eight years, during which time he wrote the first regulations for the tribe’s juvenile court. He was a member of the health board that lobbied for a new clinic and also helped get the Head Start program established on the reservation. One of its buildings was named after Horn, whose Indian name is “Shunk Ta Oba Kni,” or “Returns With Prisoner Horse.”

In 2013, he received an honorary doctorate in humanitarian services from Montana State University-Northern. In May 2014, he was named the chief of the Fort Belknap Assiniboine Tribe, the first tribal chief in more than 125 years.

Horn is survived by 10 of his 11 children, 37 grandchildren, 71 great-grandchildren and 18 great-great-grandchildren.

Source: https://rare.us/rare-news/a-native-american-wwii-hero-who-served-as-a-code-talker-has-died-at-the-age-of-92/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
1  seeder  T.Fargo    6 years ago

Thank you for your outstanding service to America, Gilbert Horn Sr., to win the fight against world tyranny that was WWII.  Rest in peace.

To learn more about the Assiniboine people, I went to Wikipedia:

The   Assiniboine   or   Assiniboin people   ( / ə ˈ s ɪ n ɪ b ɔɪ n /   when singular,   / ə ˈ s ɪ n ɪ b ɔɪ n z /   when plural;   Ojibwe:   Asiniibwaan , "stone Sioux"; also in plural   Assiniboine   or   Assiniboin ), also known as the   Hohe   and known by the   endonym   Nakota   (or   Nakoda   or   Nakona ), are a   First Nations/Native American   people originally from the Northern   Great Plains   of   North America.

Today, they are centered in present-day   Saskatchewan. They have also populated parts of   Alberta   and southwestern   Manitoba   in Canada, and northern   Montana   and western   North Dakota   in the United States. They were well known throughout much of the late 18th and early 19th century, and were members of the   Iron Confederacy   with the   Cree. Images of Assiniboine people were painted by such 19th-century artists as   Karl Bodmer   and   George Catlin.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     6 years ago

Miigwetch niijikiwen, waanakiwin. (thank you my brother, peace)

Mr. Horn walked on two years ago.

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
2.1  seeder  T.Fargo  replied to  Kavika @2    6 years ago
Mr. Horn walked on two years ago.

Indeed.  What I gleaned by digging into this story, I see that it has resurfaced and looked recent.  I was wrong to assume that it was.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  T.Fargo @2.1    6 years ago

No problem what so ever, Fargo...Mr. Horn is deserving of all the thanks from our nation, be it two years ago or today.

Thanks for posting the article.

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
2.1.2  seeder  T.Fargo  replied to  Kavika @2.1.1    6 years ago
Mr. Horn is deserving of all the thanks from our nation, be it two years ago or today.

Rightly so.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
2.1.3  Colour Me Free  replied to  T.Fargo @2.1    6 years ago

Mr. Horn's history has resurfaced here locally .. it has been 50 years since the world learned of the great service and dedication of the Code Talkers in WWl and WWll.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
3  Sunshine    6 years ago
Horn is survived by 10 of his 11 children, 37 grandchildren, 71 great-grandchildren and 18 great-great-grandchildren.

Wow. 

He left a great legacy for his family.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4  1stwarrior    6 years ago

RIP Grandfather Horn - thanks for your service and you leadership - through example.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
5  Randy    6 years ago

R.I.P. To a true AMERICAN American hero. From one Vet to another, rest peacefully Brother. You've more then well earned it.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
6  Enoch    6 years ago

Credit earned is credit due.

Never too late to honor those deserving of it.

Peace and Abundant Blessings to Us All.

Enoch.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     6 years ago

During World War II an All Volunteer group of
young men came together in the jungles of Burma.  
From different life styles and every part of the country  
they came to fight the enemy, each for their own reasons.  
During their campaigns they were apparently forgotten,
frequently lost,occasionally mutinous, and almost always
"Magnificent" .

SSgt. Robert Passanini. Unit Historian.

The 5307th Composite Unit was a provisional unit and as such the
US Army did not give it Unit Colors, a shoulder patch, or any other
form of Identity, that the 5307th could call it's own. It was the
newspapers that gave the 5307th the name "Merrill's Marauders"
after it's Commanding Officer, Gen. Frank D. Merrill. The patch was
designed and adoupted by the Marauders. The design although never   official is the patch that every Marauder will tell you is the symble of
who they are.
"THE PATCH" SYMBOLISM OF THE DESIGN
Original Patch Original Patch From
The Uniform Of
S/Sgt
Robert E. Passanisi
* The Colors:   Blue, White, Red & Green represent 4
of the 6 Marauders combat teams.
* The Sun:   From the Chinese National Flag for the
unit's close cooperation with Chinese forces in Burma.
* The Star:   Represents the "Star of Burma" for the
Marauders area of operations.
* The Lightning Bolt:   Stands for the speed and force
that the Marauders struck the enemy.

Ranger Tab Although the Marauders where not designated
as an official Ranger Unit They where considered
a Ranger type unit. When the Army formed the
"75th Ranger Regiment" it selected the "Merrill's
Marauders" as the unit the Regiment would draw
it's lineage from and authorized the the Marauders
the right to wear the Ranger Tab

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
7.1  seeder  T.Fargo  replied to  Kavika @7    6 years ago

Memories of my good neighbor George, who flew a P-47 Thunderbolt while serving in the Army Airforce and stationed in Burma.