╌>

Korea, 5 November 1950 - In honor of those that fought in the ''Forgotten War''...

Category:  Alternative Energy

Via:  kavika  •  6 years ago  •  25 comments

Korea, 5 November 1950 - In honor of those that fought in the ''Forgotten War''...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

With Memorial Day just a few days away and Korea in the news again, I thought that it was time to pay some homage to the men that fought and died there over 60 years ago. 

Many of you will not remember the ''Forgotten War'' as Korea was called, but I remember it well. I was 13 years old when the war ended and had many relatives fighting there. Some of those had fought in WWII as well.  

Once again members of my family were like many other families in the US, their loved ones were fighting in a far off land. Our family would lose another member to the war in Korea and more WIA. 

So yes, we kept up with all the information coming out of Korea. To us it was not a forgotten war. 

This is the story of one man, CPL Mitchell Red Cloud, recipient of the Medal of Honor in Korea. 

Camp Red Cloud in Korea is named after him. A distinction well deserved. 

This is his story:

Following the Japanese surrender ending World War II on September 2, 1945, the U.S. Army was reduced to just 10 divisions, with four of them, the 7th, 24th and 25th Infantry divisions and the 1st Cavalry Division, stationed in Japan on occupation duty. With the war over, Americans generally thought there was no real need to keep more troops on active duty — that is, until 0400 hours on June 25, 1950, when Communist troops of the North Korean People’s Army (NKPA) surged over the 38th parallel to invade South Korea.

The 24th Infantry Division, stationed on the Japanese island of Kyushu, was already on alert on June 30, when President Harry S. Truman ordered it to South Korea. Among its soldiers was an American Indian World War II Marine veteran, Pfc Mitchell Red Cloud Jr.

Born on July 2, 1924, in Hatfield, Wis., Mitchell was a member of the Ho-Chunk (Winnebago) Nation and the eldest of three sons born to Mitchell Red Cloud Sr. and Lillian Winneshiek. “During his younger years he liked to hunt, fish and all the other things young boys liked to do,” recalled his nephew, Merlin Red Cloud. “Friends and relatives tell that he was easygoing and fun loving, and no one could recall him showing any anger.”

At age 16, Mitchell Jr. dropped out of high school and, with his father’s permission, enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps on August 11, 1941. His Ho-Chunk lifestyle, his hunting skills and his great physical shape helped him excel as a Marine. When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on December 7, Red Cloud was stationed at Camp Elliott in San Diego in the 2nd Battalion, 9th Marines, 2nd Marine Division. His skills eventually gave him easy entry into Lt. Col. Evans Carlson’s 2nd Marine Raider Battalion, also known as Carlson’s Raiders.

On September 6, 1942, the entire 2nd Marine Raider Battalion was on its way to Espiritu Santo in the New Hebrides group. On November 4, 1942, the Raiders arrived at Guadalcanal, their mission to silence artillery that was firing on Henderson Field. After a month-long trek through the jungles, the Raiders found and eliminated the enemy artillery. They also killed nearly 500 Japanese soldiers, destroyed enemy supplies and severed the enemy’s lines of communication. The battalion lost 19 men killed and 122 wounded in the course of the mission.

Like many of his comrades, Pfc Red Cloud brought back a very bad case of malaria, jaundice and a host of other tropi­cal diseases. He lost 75 pounds, and on January 14, 1943, he was ordered home for evaluation. In February he was offered a medical discharge, which he declined. As soon as he was able, he returned to active duty, this time as a member of A Company, 29th Marines, 6th Marine Division. At Okinawa, on May 17, 1945, the war ended for Red Cloud with a Purple Heart when he took a bullet in his left shoulder.

“After receiving his honorable discharge from the Marine Corps, Red Cloud roamed Wisconsin, visiting relatives for about two years,” said Merlin Red Cloud. In 1948, Mitchell enlisted in the U.S. Army, and was sent to Japan. On July 3, 1950, he left for Korea and his second shooting war with E Company, 2nd Battalion, 19th Infantry Regiment, 24th Infantry Division.

Corporal Red Cloud, now 25, was older than many of the men alongside whom he served. He was also a decorated veteran. Officers and enlisted men alike looked up to him. “From stories that our veterans who served with Mitchell in Korea [told], Mitchell was a leader who was always good-hearted and kind towards the Korean people whom he was attempting to help,” said Merlin Red Cloud. “He traded his rations with his comrades for their candy, which he would give to the Korean children.”

By the end of September 1950, the breakout at Pusan and the U.N. landings at Inchon had thrown the NKPA into full retreat, and the United Nations forces in Korea, under General Douglas MacArthur, were approaching the Yalu River, North Korea’s border with Chinese Manchuria. In late October, however, Chinese Communist Forces (CCF) intervened in massive force on behalf of the faltering North Koreans. By November, plans were being made for the withdrawal of all U.N. troops in North Korea to below the Chongchon River. The bridgehead across the river was to be protected in case the U.N. troops were ordered to resume offensive action.

By November 2, the north bank of the Chongchon River was held by the 27th British Commonwealth Brigade and the 19th Infantry Regiment of the 24th Division. The two units were separated by a five-mile gap, supposedly patrolled constantly. On November 5, the Chinese began probing the U.N. forces’ defensive line, evading patrols and moving freely through the gap.

Warnings of the Chinese habit of attacking at night fell on deaf ears in many of the U.N. units. On the night of November 5, the Chinese followed field telephone lines that led to C Company of the 19th Infantry. Many of the Americans were caught and killed in their sleeping bags. Nearby, entrenched on Hill 123, E Company of the 19th was trying to hold its section of the Chongchon River line. Fortunately for that company, Corporal Red Cloud had heeded the warnings and stayed awake.

Quietly, about 1,000 infantrymen of the Chinese 355th Regiment infiltrated between the 2nd Battalion and the 27th Commonwealth Brigade. Red Cloud was positioned in a forward observation post at a point immediately in front of the E Company command post. From there, he was able to detect the Chinese when they launched their assault at about 3:20 a.m., under a nearly full moon. As the enemy charged from a brush-covered area, less than 100 feet from him, Red Cloud gave the alarm to his fellow soldiers. Then, grabbing his Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) and springing up from his place of concealment, Red Cloud emptied magazine after magazine into the charging Chinese troops at point-blank range. “His accurate and intense fire checked this assault and gained time for the company to consolidate its defense,” his citation read, also noting that even after he was shot twice in the chest and his assistant BAR man was killed, “With utter fearlessness he maintained his firing position until severely wounded by enemy fire.”

Perry Woodley, the 2nd Platoon medic, rushed to Red Cloud’s foxhole and applied field dressings to his wounds. As Woodley went off to treat others on the hill, he could hear the bark of a BAR resume behind him. Red Cloud was hit again and called for aid. Woodley found him badly wounded and tried to get him off the hill, but Red Cloud refused further medical help and told Woodley to concentrate on getting the other wounded men to safety. “Corporal Red Cloud pulled himself to his feet,” the citation continued, “and wrapping his arm around a tree, continued his deadly fire again, until he was fatally wounded.” Under his covering fire, the rest of E Company began a fighting retreat from the hilltop to fortified positions 1,000 yards south of Hill 123. Red Cloud was reportedly struck by as many as eight bullets before dying. When his comrades went to retrieve his body the next day, they found “a string of dead Chinese soldiers” in front of him.

Red Cloud’s selfless and heroic act stopped the Chinese from overrunning E Company’s position and gained valuable time for reorganization and the evacuation of the wounded. In April 1951, at a ceremony at the Pentagon, in Washington, D.C., Corporal Mitchell Red Cloud Jr. was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor, which was presented to his mother by General Omar N. Bradley. In 1955, Red Cloud’s remains were returned from the U.N. cemetery in Korea for burial, in accordance with the ancestral custom of his people, in Wisconsin.

On November 5, 2000, the 50th anniversary of Red Cloud’s death, the U.S. Department of Defense, Korean War Commemoration Committee, paid a visit to Black River Falls in the Ho-Chunk Nation. There it presented the Republic of Korea War Service Medal to his daughter, Annita Red Cloud.

Perhaps the most notable recognition given to Red Cloud for his deed besides the medal itself took place on August 7, 1999, when members of the Ho-Chunk Nation, along with dignitaries from the U.S. Army and Navy, stood on a dock in San Diego, Calif., for the launching of USNS Red Cloud, the fourth of seven Strategic Sealift Ships built since 1993 and named after Medal of Honor recipients. Among the attendees for the launching was Annita Red Cloud and Tris Yellowcloud, his granddaughter. Also present was Kenneth Kershaw, a member of E Company, 19th Infantry, who was on Hill 123 that morning. Kershaw expressed the simple essence of why he was there to honor his comrade: “If it were not for the alarm sounded by Mitchell Red Cloud, I would not be here today.”

This article was written by Dana Benner and originally published in the June 2006 issue of   Military History   magazine.

Corporal Mitchell Red Cloud Jr.

RBR: I usually don't have RBR for my articles, but his one is a bit different. This is a article to honor those that fought and died in Korea, and CPL Mitchell Red Cloud.

Do not bring politics or anything other than what this article is about. Anything off topic will be deleted. 

Thank you.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     6 years ago

RBR: THIS ARTICLE IS TO HONOR OUR VETERANS AND ESPECIALLY THOSE FROM THE ''FORGOTTEN WAR'', KOREA. 

DO NOT BRING IN POLITICS OR ANYTHING THAT IS NOT IN KEEPING WITH THIS ARTICLE. ANYTHING OFF TOPIC WILL BE DELETED. 

hith-medal-of-honor-E.jpeg

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @1    6 years ago

It is men like Mitchell Red Cloud that were my heroes and idols growing up, not vain movie stars, athletes, and celebrities like today. The one exception was actor Brigadier General Jimmy Stewart! Perfect example of the saying, "All gave some. Some gave all!" RIP Sir and thank you for your service and sacrifice!

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1    6 years ago

I totally agree Doc...Mine were as well. 

There were many exceptions back in the day. A lot of movie stars and sports stars did serve in the military in both WWII, Korea and some in Vietnam.

Thanks for the comment.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
2  Enoch    6 years ago

Dear Brother and Comrade in Arms Kavika: They were the best of us.

Those who currently serve still are.

May the Source of All Peace, Repose and Goodness Bestow Upon Them All This and More.   

Enoch.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Enoch @2    6 years ago
They were the best of us

Indeed they were niijii.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3  Raven Wing    6 years ago

A wonderful story about a brave and devoted man and Warrior. There is no greater gift to ones country than ones life. His struggle to allow his fellow men time to prepare to meet the enemy with a surprise attack, and finally giving his own life to help save them, speaks volumes of the man himself. 

He not only made his family proud, but, his country as well. 

nv-wa-do-hi-ya-dv (Peace)  

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing @3    6 years ago
His struggle to allow his fellow men time to prepare to meet the enemy with a surprise attack, and finally giving his own life to help save them, speaks volumes of the man himself.

Well said RW.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
5  magnoliaave    6 years ago

Thank you for sharing Cpl Red Cloud's story of honor.  My brother in law never recovered mentally from his time serving in the  Korean War. When the sun came up one morning and looked around he found that he was the only one alive on the hill.

God bless all our service men and women ....they give so much and ask so little.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  magnoliaave @5    6 years ago
God bless all our service men and women ....they give so much and ask so little.

Exactly Mags.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
5.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  magnoliaave @5    6 years ago
When the sun came up one morning and looked around he found that he was the only one alive on the hill.

I can't even begin to imagine how horrible that would be. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7  Split Personality    6 years ago

I really hate posthumous rewards ........

Great warrior - great story Kav...

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Split Personality @7    6 years ago

Thanks SP

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

When I think of the Indian steelworkers who for years have been building skyscrapers, when I think of the Indians who served in the Armed Forces of Canada and the USA, nobody will ever be able to convince me that they are not among the most courageous of North Americans. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8    6 years ago

Thank you Buzz. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

Wonderful story about the bravery of Cpl. Red Cloud. His bravery should never be forgotten to the forgotten war. 

My dad is one of those Korean War vets. He severed on USS Antietam and USS Essex. During the Vietnam war, he served on the USS Ticonderoga. 

They call this time "The Longest Peace". It could have never been had it not been for the bravery of these men, who gave their lives, so that we can have ours. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9    6 years ago
My dad is one of those Korean War vets. He severed on USS Antietam and USS Essex. During the Vietnam war, he served on the USS Ticonderoga.

A salute to Big Chief.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
10  luther28    6 years ago

Hats off to all of those that made the ultimate sacrifice, present and past.

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  luther28 @10    6 years ago
Hats off to all of those that made the ultimate sacrifice, present and past.

Indeed luther. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
11  dave-2693993    6 years ago

This is a moving story.

Since first reading it, a thought runs through my mind.

During the time Mitchell Red Cloud was at Guadalcanal, I wonder if he came across my uncles? Certainly a lot of people there, at the time. But you never know.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @11    6 years ago

That would be interesting. We actually had a member that fought at Guadalcanal but has since walked on. Tsula was his name and he is still an honorary member of Anishinaabe and shall remain so as long as NT exists. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
11.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @11.1    6 years ago

Surprising how close the world can be sometimes.