╌>

Crazy People

Category:  Sports

Via:  dave-2693993  •  6 years ago  •  110 comments

Crazy People

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

For anyone interested the Isle of Man TT is this week and Le Mans is the 16th and 17th.

The things people will do.

Sometimes the need for the challenge and thrill wont let go.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
1  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Which sports do you enjoy?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  dave-2693993 @1    6 years ago

Basketball, basketball, basketball and basketball.

And basketball.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
1.1.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1    6 years ago

LOL.

Basketball has to be considered one of the more intensive sports. Unfortunately, it was something I never excelled at, but always enjoyed watching the school and Olympic competitions the most.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  dave-2693993 @1.1.1    6 years ago

My knees agree with you.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
1.1.3  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.2    6 years ago

Good chance the time you played basketball was a overall positive experience for overall health and condition.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
1.1.5  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to    6 years ago
Also love beach volleyball where I fare a little better but oh that old age is a bitch, hehehehehehe

Yep, it sure does. I used to enjoy beach volley ball too. Good memories.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  dave-2693993 @1    6 years ago

Ran across this recently. It's something I never would have tried, even when younger and braver. I swim, work out, and hike in our Colorado mountains...and spend a lot of time in the garden in summer

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
1.2.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    6 years ago

Fantastic.

I don't know what is more breath taking, the riding of the scenery.

Thanks for the links.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3  epistte  replied to  dave-2693993 @1    6 years ago

LeMans and cycling stage tours Tour De France and Giro de Italia.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
1.3.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  epistte @1.3    6 years ago

Ahhhh, bicycling, the first set of wheels and freedom to travel !

The technology has come so far these days. I used to enjoy that too, but haven't see it for a few years. Another grueling sport. Incredible to be able to extend oneself for such time periods day after day.

What is your thought of velodrome racing?

Le Mans (24 Heures du Mans). Good interest.

The first race I could name. A Frenchman who was my uncle by marriage, styled the hair of fashion models and drove ex-works "World Sports Cars" of the era. By the time I had a grasp on the classifications the primary FIA categories were Group 3, 4, 5 and 6.

IIRC  Group 6 were the prototypes (Ferrari P3s, later Porsche 908s and later Ferrari 312s), Group 5 were the Limited "Production" Race GTs (Daytona Cobra Coupe, GT40s, Porsche 917s, Ferarri 512s), Group 4 were Production GTs (AC Cobra Roadsters, L88 Corvettes, 911S Porsches), Group 3 were a host of smaller sports cars...IIRC. Another sport which has seen big strides in technology.

Born a natural gear head and having an Uncle who raced cars sealed the deal as far as interest in motorsports.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3.2  epistte  replied to  dave-2693993 @1.3.1    6 years ago

The closest velodrome to me is Indianapolis but I have never been there. They look like fun but they are also quite dangerous because of the speeds involved. 

I miss racing formula cars in the SCCA. I'd love to get back in the seat if I could find a sponsor who could pay the bills. Do you know anyone who might have $250K to spend?   I was pretty good at it apparently. I drank champagne and have a few trophies/plaques in a box in the attic to show for my efforts.

LeMans and Spa Francorchamps are my favorite circuits.  To be able to race a prototype at LeMans or a F3 at Spa is still a dream of mine. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
1.3.3  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  epistte @1.3.2    6 years ago

I have never run on a velodrome either, but it sure looks like fun. The first time I saw it was back when ABCs Wide World of Sports was covering the Olympics. Liked it ever since.

Hahaha, if I find 250K it's mine. Seriously, as you probably know, finding a sponsor can be a full time job. You obviously have talent. Unfortunately, like most job searches today, the process reminds me of a game for young children with random rules. Wish you the best.

I have never driven one of the formula cars, but I imagine they give quite a thrill through the turns and off the apex.

The desire to run at Spa, Le Mans the Ring is commendable. If you are in a position to persevere in your efforts, then some day your wishes may come true.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3.4  epistte  replied to  dave-2693993 @1.3.3    6 years ago
I have never driven one of the formula cars, but I imagine they give quite a thrill through the turns and off the apex.

When you have the proper setup you almost feel like you are flying.  When you have the wrong setup or the weather changes it is a struggle just to finish the race with the car in one piece.  I like a very stiff, oversteering car and I had trouble trying to convince my engineer to give it to me when he wanted to give me a stable and understeering car. He didn't think that I could handle a car that oversteered, until I proved it to him by easily beating the car owner.

I've set the class record on two tracks that stood for almost a year.

Sponsorship search is the worst part of motorsports. You work for weeks on a proposal and then get shot down in 30 minutes.  Then you start over and do it again and again and again.

I wish they would open the traditional long course at Spa for a weekend.  It's almost 8 miles

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
1.3.5  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  epistte @1.3.4    6 years ago
When you have the proper setup you almost feel like you are flying.

I don't know how far back your circuit racing memories go,  your statement is somewhat similar to a comment by Dan Gurney after he took the seat of Bruce McLaren following an off season testing accident.

The FIA had banned the use of high and wings in all sanctioned events, including Group 7 sports cars which included USRRC and Can-Am cars of the era.

Bruce had come up with a low wing design modification to the McLaren Mk8 that incorporated the new wing into the rear body section.

It went from this:

Bruce McLaren M8B Riverside 1969

To this:

1971 Mclaren M8F

IIRC it was at Goodwood where Bruce was testing the new configuration and at some point the rear section failed, unloading the rear down force resulting loss of control and the death of Bruce Mclaren.

Among other things reorganized by the team, Dan Gurney was brought on board for a while to drive the second car behind Dennis Hulme.

I can recall the exact quote, however Gurney was impressed with how easy it was to turn fast laps in the car. In the drivers seat he did not have the sensation of making quick time around the tracks. The clock proved otherwise.

(Note classic picture of the short and long trumpets of the timed mechanical Lucas FI often employed on the BBC of the era to match up with their short port/long port cylinder head design.)

Agree, it would be good to see Spa open up the longer configuration, I'm not holding my breath.

Hope you get a sponsor sorted.

Although I've supported cars in various forms of competition, personally I went the drag race route simply because I could afford it. These days I can no longer afford to run my 7 second Mustang, so a buddy uses my engine.

Hang in there. Persevere. You just might turn a few laps at those historic tracks and others.

Cheers.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
1.3.6  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  dave-2693993 @1.3.5    6 years ago
I can recall the exact quote, however Gurney was impressed with how easy it was to turn fast laps in the car.

Ooops.

can = can't

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3.7  epistte  replied to  dave-2693993 @1.3.6    6 years ago

Are you aware of the fatality in the Isle of Man race yesterday?

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3.8  epistte  replied to  dave-2693993 @1.3.5    6 years ago
your statement is somewhat similar to a comment by Dan Gurney after he took the seat of Bruce McLaren following an off season testing accident.

My motorsport memories date from the mid 1970s.  I read about the aerodynamics of Bruce McLaren's M8 much later.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
1.3.9  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  epistte @1.3.7    6 years ago

Yes, Lyon was the second this year. Dan Kneen had a fatal crash in practice earlier.

These are truly crazy people. The first time I learned of this event was this was a bit shocking. Yet I still try to follow it yearly and always amazed at how the riders find the fast way around the track and learn something new.

Hopefully the remainder of the event will be free of fatalities.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
1.3.10  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  epistte @1.3.8    6 years ago

At the time the irony that struck me was a change for safety wound up costing the life of Bruce McLaren.

He was a gifted engineer. Look at the low wing 8F. That was a milestone in aerodynamics applied to motorsports.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3.11  epistte  replied to  dave-2693993 @1.3.9    6 years ago
These are truly crazy people. The first time I learned of this event was this was a bit shocking.

People who love motorsport are very often type-A adrenaline junkies. There is no other way to describe it. I only feel truly alive when I am behind the wheel.

If you can find Carroll Smith's Drive To Win, it has some very amusing descriptions of race drivers. He understood both the sport of racing and racers themselves at a very intimate level.  I was able to buy my copy at a Mid-Ohio race weekend and he signed it.

When I have my firesuit on waiting for the call to form up into the false grid I walk around like a caged animal begging to be set free. It is hard to describe to people who haven't been there. In my mind I am playing through the various possibilities of the start and how I am going to handle every pass or changes in track condition.  Once I put my helmet on and get the belts cinched down, things start to slow down and my mind is in the groove. After the race weekend was over I am mentally wasted by the effort and it usually took me a day or two to recover. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
1.3.12  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  epistte @1.3.11    6 years ago
If you can find Carroll Smith's Drive To Win, it has some very amusing descriptions of race drivers. He understood both the sport of racing and racers themselves at a very intimate level.

Thanks for the link. Depending on your perspective, another fella who can write some humourous yet technically informative stories is Smokey Yunick. As a writer he was not so good. If one can put themselves into the situations, place and time he wrote about it can be funny.

Have to keep in mind he was of a different time, a self made engineer and innovator, who brought his WWII aircraft mechanic skills with him into post war motorports.

He could let one know if he didn't like what one was thinking and I disagreed on 2 areas he was well known for.  I know, he was Smokey Yunick and I am just me. Yet he would actually listen to me and never ridiculed. Time has proven I am right on those areas.

The engineering side took my attention beginning at a very young age. A very dull readin and dry book for beginning circuit racers is a Mark Donahue/Paul Van Valkenburg expose on the early Sunoco T/A Camaros.

The scenario you describe reminds me of my wrestling years, whereas I get as dogged a determination for an engines, engineering solution but without the adrenaline.

Hope you get back in the seat.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
1.3.13  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  epistte @1.3.11    6 years ago

While posting this years TT results I thought you would appreciate these pics taken at Indy 20 years apart of Smokey and Jimmy Hall.

Both engineers and innovators in their own right and both, who at times received  GM backing, and also recognized internationally.

In each picture the body language tells us who the student and teacher are. Two of my favorite motorsports pictures.

HALLSMKY.jpg

SMKYHALL.jpg

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3.14  epistte  replied to  dave-2693993 @1.3.12    6 years ago

I have Paul VanValkenburgs books.  They are candy to someone who is a formally trained engineer, and they came in handy when I worked for GM. Race Car Vehicle Dynamics by the Milliken brothers was a groundbreaking book when it was released. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
1.3.15  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  epistte @1.3.14    6 years ago
They are candy to someone who is a formally trained engineer

Right, no one reads those books looking for a story line or plot. One is there to learn.

Looking back I was spoiled be reading folks like Paul VanValkenburg and Jerry Titus and others on a monthly basis. I judge every motorsports publication by the bar they set. Very few come close. They were the innovators of data acquisition and reporting.

Funny, Paul was a little proud of himself that his SCCA Club A Sedan Camaro was quicker through turn 9 at Riverside than Donahue's #6 Camaro.

Way back when what I mainly got out of those monthly publications was to turn that data around. Gather empirical data, plot it, graph it, solve it. Then engineer for your expected outcome. 

It was a perfect learning opportunity at the perfect time.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3.16  epistte  replied to  dave-2693993 @1.3.15    6 years ago

I had a subscription to Rascecar Engineering in the 1990s and 2000s just for Pauls column.  I now read the magazine online instead of paper. 

Chris Economakis SpeedSports News used to be good, just for Chris' rambling column but it is not worth the money after he died.  I let my subscription to Autosport lapse about 10 years ago. I still pick up the occasional issue at a newsstand around the corner from my Dr's office.

I read used college textbooks that I pick up cheap after the semester is over instead of novels because I prefer read for learning than to be entertained.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
1.3.17  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  epistte @1.3.16    6 years ago
I read used college textbooks that I pick up cheap after the semester is over instead of novels because I prefer read for learning than to be entertained.

Sounds like me reading history.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     6 years ago

Football, boxing, Indian relay racing and drag boat racing. 

Problem is I'm to old to be an active participant any more...Laugh

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.2  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @2    6 years ago
Problem is I'm to old to be an active participant any more...

Hahaha, I know that. Finances get in the way too.

No doubt Indian Relay Racing is in the same extreme category as Isle of Man.

At least I can still give engineering support. Contact sports? No way these days.

For power boats, I'll see if I can dig up some Australian APBA racing. I am sure it is similar to the American APBA, but I have more familiarity with the Australians.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @2.2    6 years ago

Indian relay racing is considered one of the very extreme sports...LOL and I survived it all. Now watching it leaves black and blue marks on me...

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.2.2  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @2.2.1    6 years ago

I came away with a few bumps a bruises from reading the article you put up. That sport can turn into instant mayhem in an instant.

Haven't found the Aus APBA vids I had in mind yet, but this tribute to John Cross has some good footage. Somewhere I have an in-boat vid that really good.

Since this vid all fast boats must incorporate a closed F16 capsule for the driver/pilot.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @2.2.2    6 years ago

Excellent  video

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.2.4  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @2.2.3    6 years ago

Thanks Kavika.

Sometimes those boats move over to compete in flying kilo competition as well. Here is a fella I did some research for. In this vid he is setting the world record in a naturally aspirated 6 litre injected boat. The built in F16 capsule had been mandated by the time of this video.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @2.2.4    6 years ago

That was a hell of a run (s).

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.2.6  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @2.2.5    6 years ago

You are right.

These competitions are similar to Bonneville where the vehicle must run in 2 directions.

These particular engines were very similar to Nascar Cup engines of the time except the valve timing was altered a little to boost torque and move it lower in the engines rpm range. This cost the engine 15hp compared to the Cup car configuration, but greater average power. The net result was a better ability of coming up on plane better and dealing to the hydraulic drag of the water.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2.7  MrFrost  replied to  dave-2693993 @2.2.4    6 years ago

Looks like he lost his skier... 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.2.8  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  MrFrost @2.2.7    6 years ago

Yeah, he sure did.

There is actually one class of competition where the boats run on staggered starts and running up rivers with 2 skiers behind them.

I don't think I would want to be one of those skiers.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4  igknorantzrulz    6 years ago

if u aint living on the edge

ure dying

on the edge

I prefer the former as I climb up n over the latters

gotta have the edge, for me

Adrenaline, better than any other high for this aaswhole guy

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4    6 years ago

It feels good to extend oneself.

These days I do it vicariously through a fancy set of algorithms to help others.

Even these days, my Mustang sits parked because I can't afford to run it. So I loaned the engine out to a buddy to use. More vicarious involvement.

It's all good.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5  MrFrost    6 years ago

I used to water ski, loads of fun. Knee board, wake board, all that crap. Snow skiing but never tried a snow board. Went sky diving once.....ONCE... Didn't care for it. Tried surfing a few times, never could get the hang of it. Tried tennis and soccer, not a fan of either one.

The sport that I used to play a lot of and was actually good at was golf. Had my handicap down to an 8. Never competed past the local level and even then it was just for fun. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
5.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  MrFrost @5    6 years ago

Regardless of what it may be, it is good to have a pastime to fallback on at times to let oneself do something positive just for the fun of it.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6  MrFrost    6 years ago

I ride motorcycles, not competitive, just for fun. Nothing like blasting down a trail 3 feet wide in a forest at 90 MPH. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  MrFrost @6    6 years ago

I don't really know why, but I never spent much time on dirt bikes. Some of them are beasts, though.

The first bike I rode was an H1 Mach III Kawasaki and the last bike I I rode was a ZX10 Kawasaki. Both for their era, very fast bikes. There no strategic plan for the nameplate.

I love the sport bikes, especially the Yamaha YZF-R1. To be honest, should I ever get another bike, it will be a big, lazy V twin Harley with room on the back seat. Probably not in the cards.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
6.2  Skrekk  replied to  MrFrost @6    6 years ago
Nothing like blasting down a trail 3 feet wide in a forest at 90 MPH.

That's the way I feel about snowboarding.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7  MrFrost    6 years ago

Some more from Isle Of Man TT...

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  MrFrost @7    6 years ago

The chassis of these bikes and race setups focus very quick turn in and transitions.

The downside is obvious in how unstable they can be at speed.

These folks are gymnasts.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8  Freefaller    6 years ago

Used to do a lot of skydiving, rock climbing, hockey and scuba.  Nowadays due to various aches and pains it's just scuba and some light jogging (I hate jogging but ya gotta keep fit somehow)

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
8.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Freefaller @8    6 years ago
Nowadays due to various aches and pains it's just scuba and some light jogging (I hate jogging but ya gotta keep fit somehow)

That gets us all eventually. I hate jogging too, but I like bicycling.

Used to do a lot of skydiving, rock climbing, hockey and scuba.

Yes, definitely in the extreme/technical categories. Where do you scuba?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  dave-2693993 @8.1    6 years ago
Where do you scuba?

These days mostly Caribbean and Mexico, though in the past I've done some Indian, Mediterranean and South Pacific diving.  Lol I have tried diving up in Canada a couple times but the water is too cold for me, don't think I'll ever do that again.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
8.1.2  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Freefaller @8.1.1    6 years ago

Sounds like good experiences not only diving, but learning new cultures too.

Did you go fresh water diving in Canada?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.1.3  Freefaller  replied to  dave-2693993 @8.1.2    6 years ago
but learning new cultures too.

Lol yes I probably know how to order drinks in about 6 different languages, but seriously the travelling and experiences were pretty cool.

Did you go fresh water diving in Canada?

Once in Georgian Bay, it was cold.  I have done a little more freshwater diving down in Florida but truthfully it's not very interesting compared to saltwater

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
8.1.4  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Freefaller @8.1.3    6 years ago

Great experiences.

Have you found a place that stands out more than the others?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.1.5  Freefaller  replied to  dave-2693993 @8.1.4    6 years ago
Have you found a place that stands out more than the others?

Absolutely hands down, it was a little speck of an island called Reethi beach in the Maldives chain on the equator in the Indian Ocean.  Amazing diving whales, sharks, turtles, rays, and so many fish in so many colours they were beyond counting.  The house reef alone was the best local reef I've ever seen.  Of course I was with a group of good friends which made it better, got to know the locals and even explored off island by sea kayak (to nearby pristine uninhabited islands).  I still dive fairly regularly and know that I will never enjoy another place like that.

Are you interested in diving? It's a fun if somewhat expensive hobby.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
8.1.6  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Freefaller @8.1.5    6 years ago
Are you interested in diving? It's a fun if somewhat expensive hobby.

Sounds like a great place and having a good group of friends along helps too.

I don't know, maybe if it's in the cards at some point. The expensive part would push things out for me at the moment. Also, I'm carrying some extra hardware in my body and not sure how that would sort out.

I'll still keep it on the table though.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.1.7  Freefaller  replied to  dave-2693993 @8.1.6    6 years ago

Well I do hope that at some point (maybe after you buy your formula 1 car, lol) you get a chance to at least try it 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
8.1.8  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Freefaller @8.1.7    6 years ago

One of these days, I just might get a chance.

Thanks.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9  MrFrost    6 years ago

Great seed, thanks for this! 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
9.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  MrFrost @9    6 years ago

You are welcome and I am glad you liked it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
10  Kavika     6 years ago

One of my favorite places to scuba is in the South Pacific, especially Fiji along the Coral Coast. To say it's amazing is an understatement. 

IMO, the Coral Coast of Fiji is better diving than the Great Barrier Reef of Australia. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
10.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @10    6 years ago

Although Scuba diving has always been an interest of mine, I have never tried it. I remember that old TV show with Lloyd Bridges and the underwater adventure.

I imagine exploring coral reefs an underwater camera would be a must have.

The closest experience I have had was on a sail boat trip from St Marteen to Anguilla. It was a tour cruise for a day stay on an beach. The boat had history which was an all wood built built around the turn of the 19th to 20th century. Teak everywhere.

The sea floor was visible for the entire trip. When we arrived at Anguilla, the Captain stopped in a small lagoon and began unloading 5 or 6 folks at a time into a small boat for transport to the beach.

I basically said screw this, I can swim that distance. I jumped off the deck into the water and quickly found myself a good distance beneath the boat. Wow, it was beautiful down there. I could look up and see the bottom of this old wooden sail boat and look around and see all these colorful fish fish around me.

That was the best part of the trip to Anguilla.

I imagine a coral reef must have 100x more see life.

Wouldn't happen to have any pictures from your dives at Anguilla would you?

P.S. There are some interesting links to Fiji concerning the America's article. Working on some updates, yet every time I research something I wind up going through a lot of other associated topics.

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.1.1  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @10.1    6 years ago

Was that sailboat you were on named ''The Yankee Clipper''...199 feet all teak built in the early 1900's?

I sailed her all over the Caribbean  and have dozens of photos on my old ''film camera''...

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
10.1.2  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @10.1.1    6 years ago

I don't recall the boats name, but your description sounds about right.

It gave the sense of being on an old time sailing ship.

Really good day.

A few days later we took a good sized high powered cat to St Barts. Completely different experience and quite a bit longer. Not long after leaving the main harbour, the bottom dropped out of the sea floor. Deep navy blue. We were in the Atlantic and the cat felt like a dump truck.

Still it was a good trip.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
11  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

More scenes from Isle of Man.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.1  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @11    6 years ago

Well that was one hell of a ride before I had breakfast.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
11.1.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @11.1    6 years ago

Second helpings from.

This is a full lap with on board cameras last year. Careful it is 19+ minutes and no music. The rider is dealing with a front wheel that just refuses to stay on the ground.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.1.2  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @11.1.1    6 years ago

I got off the bike when we hit 185MPH.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
11.1.3  MrFrost  replied to  dave-2693993 @11.1.1    6 years ago

Seems weird that they can stay seated on the bike with balls that big. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
11.1.4  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @11.1.2    6 years ago

I don't blame you. It's a 185 mph unicycle.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
11.1.5  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  MrFrost @11.1.3    6 years ago

Hmmmm? Maybe that's why the front wheel keeps lifting?

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
11.1.6  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @11.1.2    6 years ago

That had to be one bumpy dismount at that speed. chuckle

MrFrost
Professor Expert
11.1.7  MrFrost  replied to  dave-2693993 @11.1.5    6 years ago

It's the reason I don't do that sport... (It's my lie and I am sticking to it..)

MrFrost
Professor Expert
11.1.8  MrFrost  replied to  Raven Wing @11.1.6    6 years ago
bumpy

Giggity...

MrFrost
Professor Expert
11.1.9  MrFrost  replied to  dave-2693993 @11.1.5    6 years ago

In all seriousness... Fastest I have been on a bike was 155.... Honda Hurricane. I won't lie, it scared me a little bit. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
11.1.10  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  MrFrost @11.1.9    6 years ago

155 mph is flying.

It's amazing how quickly they can come up on speed. The power to weight ratios are in a different realm. The only thing holding them back is their aerodynamics aren't the best. 

I can appreciate the sky happy front end of these bikes. Even that street stock ZX10 would reach for the sky by rolling in some throttle in 3rd gear.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
11.1.11  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  MrFrost @11.1.9    6 years ago
Fastest I have been on a bike was 155

As I am updating the article on this years results, this speed was in my mind.

When I owned a shop my manager was a pretty descent rider. He had been a second tier Motocross rider who also was the transport driver and mechanic for one of the top tier riders.

He had a bad landing once that shattered both of his forearms requiring exoskeletons to help reset the bones. Over time he regained a lot. He and a friend of his decided to go Pro-Mod, Pro Extreme drag big racing.

I let him use the shop to repaint the body work and gave advice on the engine. They were low budget. Really, everything was second hand. I kidded them in saying the bottom end of the engine was Fred Flintstone technology.

I found a set of Webb cams that would suit their purpose and, being budget limited they found a set kind of close, but really not ideal.

Around here, those bikes are only allowed to run 1/8 mile. Nonetheless, it would go 155mph in the 1/8.

Here are a few pics:

From this

DSCN7965.JPG

There goes the owners name

DSCN7969.JPG

To this

pmsuzuki003.JPG

To this

DSCN8427.JPG

To this

(The team gets free photos, but with watermark)

eranwithgoodchassis1.JPG

Notice the front wheel in the air. It only touches ground on shift, which is a very quick air shifter.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.1.12  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @11.1.11    6 years ago

That's is quite the transformation on the bike...

Very cool

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
11.1.13  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @11.1.12    6 years ago

Thanks Kavika, he did all the prep and paint work himself.

It requires a special talent to steer a bike with the front wheel in the air.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
12  Raven Wing    6 years ago

Used to play softball, volleyball and basketball. I am 5' 11" tall and those games were really fun for me. I also like archery and rifle competitions and was pretty good at both. My true love was horseback riding, but, just for pleasure. 

But, now I can no longer participate in those sports, and horseback riding is no longer doable. But, there is a nearby stable that I go to on weekends and help groom and exercise some of the horses there. I have my own names for them and they all know me and that I always bring treats for them, so I get a hearty welcome from them, and the owner always knows when I am coming. (grin)

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
12.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Raven Wing @12    6 years ago

All active and technical sports. It is good to have memories even if we personally can no longer compete.

A woman I used to know would pick a retired thoroughbred with the right personality and turn it into a jumper. Some Monday's she would come in to work bruised and beat up after an event.

Getting out of the saddle sounds like the smart thing to do.

I'm pretty good at watching, not jumping.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
13  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Forgot to post this yesterday. Wet conditions caused a red flag of the race and a group of the racers are voicing their displeasure at having to go out and run in the first place.

Then a switch over to some on the events on the track with some dropped bikes and the Dunlop brothers blowing past everybody on the track in these conditions.

Michael and William Dunlop are two sons of an elder Dunlop who also ran Isle of Man with his brother many moons ago.

There is a lot of bleeping in the first segment.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
14  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Peter Hickman in record time takes the win.

(Parenthetical notes are mine)

_101944977_2018pokerstarsisleofmantt81.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/240/cpsprodpb/13078/production/_101944977_2018pokerstarsisleofmantt81.jpg 240w, 320w, 480w, 624w, 800w" sizes="(min-width: 900px) 50vw, (min-width: 600px) 70vw, 100vw" alt="Peter Hickman celebrates his Senior race victory and his amazing lap speed on the Mountain Course" class="">

(Note the 200mph unicycle at the foot of the trophy)

Isle of Man TT 2018: Hickman sets record in Senior TT wi n

Peter Hickman stormed to his first Senior TT win thanks to a sensational first lap of the Mountain Course at over 135mph on his final circuit.

The Lincolnshire, 31, rider set a new absolute course record of 135.452mph to edge out compatriot Dean Harrison by two seconds after a thrilling battle.

Harrison was also inside the previous best lap benchmark, with Manxman Conor Cummins third.

The Smith's BMW rider had taken his first TT win earlier in the week.

Hickman and Harrison played out one of the classic Isle of Man TT races in front of tens of thousands of spellbound fans, Harrison leading for the entire race until Hickman produced his stunning performance on lap six to take the win.

The Yorkshireman's lead going onto the last lap was just 1.9 seconds but the Silicone Engineering Kawasaki pilot finished runner-up after a nailbiting, enthralling final lap.

Hickman had beaten Harrison's six-day-old course lap record on his fourth circuit at 134.456 but smashed that in his last-gasp charge to steal victory, Harrison's 134.918 remarkably proving not enough.

Praise for runner-up

"What a tough race that was - massive credit to Dean, he was absolutely on it and led for virtually the whole race," said Hickman.

"There was never much in it and I kept losing ground in the first couple of sectors, but I kept gaining on the Mountain.

"The Smith's BMW worked perfectly, sweet as a nut. What an awesome end to an up and down couple of weeks."

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/240/cpsprodpb/155C5/production/_101939478_2018pokerstarsisleofmantt16.jpg 240w, 320w, 480w, 624w, 800w, 976w" sizes="605px" srcset=" 240w, 320w, 480w, 624w, 800w, 976w">

(Two wheels in mid air while in mid turn)

Hickman was second behind Michael Dunlop in last year's Senior but the Ballymoney rider was never in contention for the race win this time as he was strangely off the pace from the start.

Hickman has also tasted success in British Superbike races - the North West 200, the Ulster Grand Prix and the Macau Grand Prix - and can now be regarded as one of the greatest road racers of his generation.

His staggering speed on the final lap secured a new race record and ensured that the TT eclipses the Ulster Grand Prix lap record of 134.617 to lay claim to the title of the fastest road race in the world.

Cummins was one minute and 40 seconds behind Harrison to grab the final podium position, with 2018 hat-trick man Dunlop fourth, Australian Josh Brookes fifth on the Norton and Gary Johnson sixth.

James Hillier, Lee Johnston, Ian Hutchinson and Michael Rutter were among the notable retirements.

Results (Top 10)

1. Peter Hickman 1:43:08.065

2. Dean Harrison +2.061

3. Conor Cummins +1:42.494mins

4. Michael Dunlop +2:37.25mins

5. Josh Brookes +3:01:839mins

6. Gary Johnson +3:58.753mins

7. Martin Jessopp +4:50.343mins

8. Jamie Coward +5:19.722mins

9. Davey Todd +5:51.994mins

10. Brian McCormack +5:56.318mins

Kavika
Professor Principal
14.1  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @14    6 years ago

Congratulations to Peter Hickman...Well done.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
14.1.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @14.1    6 years ago

Agree.

Survival skills are important in these competitions.

Now I need to begin looking for Le Mans footage.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
16  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Time to work on a Le Mans Article.

epistte
Junior Guide
16.1  epistte  replied to  dave-2693993 @16    6 years ago

The ACO and other people are uploading video of the various LeMans practice sessions. I try to read the printout because it is good for me to practice my unused French language abilities. It's lonely now that they don't have factory efforts from Porsche or Audi in the prototype classes. I miss the days of the Porsche 962.  

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
16.1.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  epistte @16.1    6 years ago

Good link. Thanks.

Looks like a fair amount GT cars entered.

epistte
Junior Guide
16.1.2  epistte  replied to  dave-2693993 @16.1.1    6 years ago

The Porsche factory created two retro-themed paint jobs. One 911 has the original 917 pig paint scheme and the other has a 962 Rothmans themed paint job. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
16.1.3  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  epistte @16.1.2    6 years ago

The Rothmans is one of the favorite liveries.

The 86 Gulf Racing car has the classic presentation of the John Wyre livery first made famous on his GT40 cars then Later 917s.

If I'm choosing by paint scheme, that's my choice.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
16.1.4  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  dave-2693993 @16.1.3    6 years ago

Had trouble with the images. Let's see if this works:

24h lemans 1969 ickx herrmann arrivee

http://mit.zenfs.com/852/2013/12/johnwykc.jpg

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
16.1.5  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  dave-2693993 @16.1.4    6 years ago

While on the subject Jackie Ickx, sort of, can't forget his 1969 Le Mans start. Last to leave, first to finish.