╌>

Trump Lavishes Praise On North Korean Dictator

Category:  News & Politics

By:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  127 comments

Trump Lavishes Praise On North Korean Dictator

By some estimates there are 100,000 people in concentration camps in North Korea. Political dissidents are either sent to such camps or killed on the order of the dictator Kim Jong Un. 

Our President , Donald Trump, appears to sincerely admire such people. Here are a few phrases he has used to describe the evil murderer Kim Jong Un -

"a very talented person"

"a very smart guy"

"he's a great negotiator"

"he has a great personality"

How do you explain to the people of North Korea , who live under constant tyranny, why "the leader of the free world" is publicly kissing the ass of their oppressor? 

Would they understand the concept of "pathological liar" when applied to the president of the United States? How about "he's crazy" ?

See the source image

======================================================================

related

President Trump downplayed the human rights record of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s regime in an interview that aired Wednesday night, calling him a “tough guy” and saying that “a lot of bad things” have taken place in other nations.

The praise was among Trump’s latest adulation for Kim, a dictator who has directed murders of family members and starved his own people, since the two held a summit in Singapore earlier this week to discuss denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.

The president’s take on Kim’s record echoed past assessments of the leadership of Russian President Vladi­mir Putin in which Trump brushed aside questions about killings of journalists and political opponents.

In an interview that was taped aboard Air Force One while Trump was flying back to the United States from Singapore, he was pressed by Fox News’s Bret Baier on Kim’s human rights record. Baier noted that Trump had praised Kim as “a very talented person” and had said they have good chemistry.

“You know you call people sometimes killers; he is a killer,” Baier said. “He’s clearly executing people.”

“He’s a tough guy,” Trump replied. “Hey, when you take over a country, tough country, with tough people, and you take it over from your father, I don’t care who you are, what you are, how much of an advantage you have. If you can do that at 27 years old, I mean that’s one in 10,000 that could do that. So he’s a very smart guy. He’s a great negotiator. But I think we understand each other.”

“But he’s still done some really bad things,” Baier said.

“Yeah, but so have a lot of other people done some really bad things,” Trump said. “I mean, I could go through a lot of nations where a lot of bad things were done.”

Trump said he was making his assessment of Kim based on the period during which they had gotten to know one another.

“I am going from today,” he said. “I am going from maybe 90 days ago. Because we really started this.”

Trump’s comments were condemned on social media Wednesday night by several Democrats, including Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.).

“Trump can’t conceal his admiration for despots, or his disdain for democratic leaders like Justin Trudeau. And still, Republicans stay silent,” Schiff wrote on Twitter, referring to the Canadian prime minister, whom Trump accused of unfairly undermining him on trade over the weekend.

While a Republican presidential candidate, Trump downplayed hostile actions by Putin.

During a December 2015 episode of MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” host Joe Scarborough pointed out to Trump that Putin “is a person who kills journalists, political opponents and invades countries.”

“Obviously that would be a concern, would it not?” Scarborough asked.

“He’s running his country, and at least he’s a leader, unlike what we have in this country,” Trump responded.

“But, again,” Scarborough said. “He kills journalists that don’t agree with him.”

“Well, I think that our country does plenty of killing, too, Joe,” Trump said.

In February 2017, during an interview with Fox News’s Bill O’Reilly, Trump said he “respects” Putin and downplayed O’Reilly’s description of him as a “killer.”

“There are a lot of killers,” Trump said. “We’ve got a lot of killers. What do you think, our country’s so innocent?”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    6 years ago

“But he’s still done some really bad things,” Baier said.

“Yeah, but so have a lot of other people done some really bad things,” Trump said. “I mean, I could go through a lot of nations where a lot of bad things were done.”

Trump said he was making his assessment of Kim based on the period during which they had gotten to know one another.

“I am going from today,” he said. “I am going from maybe 90 days ago. Because we really started this.”

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

This is what Trump likes and, supports about Kim.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1    6 years ago

America's future under Trump? 

from your link-

North Korea is in a category of its own when it comes to human rights violations. It is a totalitarian state where tens of thousands of people are enslaved and tortured.

All forms of freedom of expression are repressed and anyone attempting to assert their rights is crushed. In North Korea, where failing to show sufficient reverence for the country's leaders is a serious offence, no one is safe from arrest and imprisonment.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    6 years ago

Well, Trump is always talking about fake news, we know he'd like to get rid of the First Amendment.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
1.1.3  Explorerdog  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    6 years ago

Trumps dream society he only now has to figure out how to import it

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  sixpick  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1    6 years ago

This is what Trump likes and, supports about Kim.

I don't think Trump likes anything about Kim and I don't know of anyone who does.  Trump's tactics shouldn't be so misunderstood by those who supported the last President.  Like the Muslims, the right to lie to your enemies is allowed, this case being North Korea instead of the American people, Trump is basically doing the same thing Obama did over the last eight years, lying to his enemies and playing them.

As I looked at the links you provided it reminded me of another country the United States has dealt with during the last years of the last President and that is Cuba.  No one is debating how North Korea is in a class by itself with the viciousness of government and its leaders. Both Cuba and North Korea has imprisoned many people, has no tolerance for dissent against the government or its leaders, have killed those who challenged the government, not allowed its citizens to travel abroad without government consent,  does not allow any political opposition, does not allow independent media, does not allow independent expression and many other characteristics of North Korea, led by a dictator under Communist rule. 

Many have escaped the island and many have not been successful.  Can you imagined what happens when you try to escape Cuba and are not successful and then can you imagine when the country you try to escape to does away with 'Wet Food, Dry Foot' and if you are only miles from salvation, you are returned by the United States to Cuba.  Who was responsible for changing this humanitarian act and returns refugees coming from a Communist Dictatorship so close to our shores?  There's a difference in being turned away when you aren't going back to a government who will treat you like a traitor.

The meeting between Obama and Raoul was similar, but different at the same time as Trump's objective is currently.  Both North Korea and Cuba are ruled by Communist Dictators and both have similar controls over their citizens.  The difference is one is threatening the United States and other countries with their nuclear weapons and the other was not allowed to develop nuclear weapons or even have weapons put on their soil that would be a threat to us.  I guess we can be thankful we had leaders who put their foot down when it came to Cuba in the day instead of financing Communism for another 100 years as was the case with Cuba without getting anything out of it. 

To accuse Trump and his supporters of liking anything about Kim Jong Un reveals either a lack of understanding and common sense or plain deceptiveness.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.5  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  sixpick @1.1.4    6 years ago
To accuse Trump and his supporters of liking anything about Kim Jong Un reveals either a lack of understanding and common sense or plain deceptiveness.

First, who accused his supporters of liking Kim? It is Trump who wishes he could be like Kim, it is Trump who finds the Constitution an inconvenience rather than the rule of law in the United States. Can you name one president, other than Trump, who said of Castro or, Kim, "I like him and, what he has done in his country, his people stand at attention when he speaks, I want "my people" to do that", or, this, "I wish I could get rid of the medias rights to tell the news", paraphrased from what Trump actually said but, it was the same thing. When reminded that Kim had murdered his own people Trump said, "Yeah, well, we've done the same thing", Ok, now, name a U.S. president that had his own brother killed or, killed his generals because they weren't "loyal" to him. Then there is this little nugget, "If I had known Jeff Sessions would recuse himself from the Mueller investigation I would have hired someone else" and, in another meeting he said that Sessions was suppose to protect HIM from prosecution or, investigation, like the DOJ is his personal law firm. Trump may not like Kim, as you said but, he likes Kim's policies and, the way Kim runs his country and, wishes he could run the U.S. the same way.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1.5    6 years ago
When reminded that Kim had murdered his own people Trump said, "Yeah, well, we've done the same thing",

I believe he made similar statements about Putin.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.7  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.6    6 years ago
I believe he made similar statements about Putin.

He did.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

If memory serves, I distinctly remember the leftists swooning over Stalin, Mao, the brothers Castro, and of course...Che'

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
1.2.1  Explorerdog  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    6 years ago
If memory serves, I distinctly remember the leftists swooning over Stalin, Mao, the brothers Castro, and of course...Che'

Damn you are old and mistaken 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    6 years ago

Yeah....they have some real GOPHypocrisy1024x696.jpg values  /s

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

Kim loves to kill his people.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2    6 years ago

Oh, you remind me. I forgot to include "his people love him" in the list of quotes Trump has said about Kim. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    6 years ago

Imagine if Trump had the autonomy to treat US citizens the way Kim treats North Korean citizens.  He would not hesitate to make Kim look like an amateur dictator.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    6 years ago
I forgot to include "his people love him" in the list of quotes Trump has said about Kim.

Trump and his supporters dream of rounding up liberals and progressives and forcing us to work hard labor camps. They fantasize about ramming their fascist nationalism into law making equality and justice illegal so they can incarcerate more Americans and re-create the old confederacy as they and their ancestors dreamed about doing for the last 150 years. That's why they admire Kim Dong Un the tiny dick tater so much.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.2    6 years ago

No value. Removed - PRF

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.2    6 years ago

I wonder if they compared dick sizes behind closed doors.  Both impotent little dictators.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.4    6 years ago

You really wonder about that sort of stuff?

Strange.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.6  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.4    6 years ago

They compared hand sizes right in front of everyone and it was kind of creepy to see that their hands were the same size and fit like a glove.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.6    6 years ago

Donald Trump   has taunted North Korea’s leader about the size of his nuclear arsenal after his UN envoy, Nikki Haley, dismissed the value of proposed high-level talks between Pyongyang and Seoul.

The US president used   Kim Jong-un’s New Year’s Day speech   as the basis for his latest provocative tweet against the leader, whom he has previously referred to as   “little rocket man” , saying the “nuclear button” in Washington is “much bigger and more powerful” than Kim’s – “and my button works!”.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un just stated that the “Nuclear Button is on his desk at all times.” Will someone from his depleted and food starved regime please inform him that I too have a Nuclear Button, but it is a much bigger & more powerful one than his, and my Button works!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.8  Greg Jones  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.3    6 years ago
No value. Removed - PRF

Seriously....I'd venture say that 98% of the comments on this thread have "no value". Face Palm

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.2    6 years ago

Why the need to make stuff up?

Please list when Trump said he wanted to put liberals in labor camps, and which members of the GOP supported it.

I await your links.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.8    6 years ago

But isn't it better to know that claiming Trump and his supporters want to lock liberal and progressives up in hard labor camps IS considered valuable by the mods?

At least we know what exactly we are dealing with here. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.1.13    6 years ago

Sorry, but I am compelled to disagree with you on that.

"Morph into....."

I assume it already DID.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.15  Trout Giggles  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.1.13    6 years ago

Oliver...would you find a screen name and stick with it?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.8    6 years ago

Isn't it comforting to know that talk of dick size has value?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.17  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.9    6 years ago
Please list when Trump said he wanted to put liberals in labor camps

I never said he said that, I said his followers dream about it which is obvious after reading the comments from the Trumpites on these boards and elsewhere.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.17    6 years ago

2.1.2 Dismayed Patriot replied to JohnRussell @2.1 3 hours ago
I forgot to include "his people love him" in the list of quotes Trump has said about Kim.
Trump and his supporters dream of rounding up liberals and progressives and forcing us to work hard labor camps. They fantasize about ramming their fascist nationalism into law making equality and justice illegal so they can incarcerate more Americans and re-create the old confederacy as they and their ancestors dreamed about doing for the last 150 years. That's why they admire Kim Dong Un the tiny dick tater so much.

6 REPLY

No, you did not STATE it exactly. You implied it. Not really a difference in this case.

Either way, how would YOU know what Trump "dreams" of if he hasn't spoke of it?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.19  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.18    6 years ago
how would YOU know what Trump "dreams" of if he hasn't spoke of it?

When he praises people like Duterte who has admitted he murders his citizens in the street without trial, he glorifies Putin who is assassinating dissenters, journalists and political opponents and forcibly taking over what used to be private media companies, he calls a vile authoritarian dictator like Un who incarcerates and murders his own people "strong" and "smart", it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put together the fact that Trump not only admires them but is jealous of their authoritarian power.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.20  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.19    6 years ago

If we are to use your rather dubious logic, then you should have written that Trump wants to kill liberals and progressives.

Then your example would have made sense.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.21  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.20    6 years ago
you should have written that Trump wants to kill liberals and progressives

Un and Putin also use illegal arrests of their people to control them.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.21    6 years ago

Something Trump has not done.

Are you projecting again, or just guessing?

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2    6 years ago
Kim loves to kill his people

And starve them to death while he nothing but the best, even having meals flown in from other countries and gets even fatter, while children die of starvation and he could care less. Ah yes, his Father and Grandfather taught him well. A true humanitarian.  Just Trump's type. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Raven Wing @2.2    6 years ago

He's a fat little pig.  Lives in the lap of luxury while his subjects starve.

Impotent little turd - just like Rump.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.2.2  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.1    6 years ago
Impotent little turd - just like Rump.

Trump had a vasectomy ?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3  lady in black    6 years ago

Of course he praises him, he wants be like him a true dictator.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  lady in black @3    6 years ago
he wants be like him a true dictator.
Now I'm the king of the swingers, oh
The jungle VIP
I've reached the top and had to stop
And that's what botherin' me
I wanna be a Dictator, Un cub
And stroll right into town
And be just like the other Dictators
I'm tired of monkeyin' around!
Oh, oobee doo
I wanna be like you
I wanna kill like you, chill like you, too
You'll see it's true someone like me
Can learn to be like someone like you
Now don't try to kid me, Un cub
I'll make a deal with you
What I desire is your red power
To make my dream come true
Now, give me the secret, Un cub
Come on, clue me what to do
Give me the power of your red flower
So I can be like you
Oh, oobee doo
I wanna be like you
I wanna kill like you, chill like you, too
You'll see it's true someone like me
Now you might think it's ridiculous
That me, a gigantipithicus
Would ever dream I'd like to team
With the likes of you, Un cub
But together, we'd have powers
All the jungle's treasures, ours
I got desire, you got the fire
But the dream I dream takes two
Or three, I'm talkin bout you Putie Pu
So, ooh, I wanna be like you
I wanna use that power just the same you can do
Oh, how magnificus it would be
A gigantipithicus like me
Could learn to do like you Dictators do

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  author  JohnRussell    6 years ago

If Trump had gone to North Korea and sat for stern but reasonable negotiations with Kim Jong Un, meant to put a personal touch on a process aimed at a near future denuclearization of North Korea, we could have some satisfaction with the actions of our president. 

What we actually got from Trump was borderline disgusting, from the movie trailer that portrayed the summit as a Hollywood like production "featuring Donald J. Trump and Kim Jong Un" as if they are movie stars, to Trump's boot licking of a murderous dictator, to Trump's preposterous announcement that the nuclear threat from North Korea is now over. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  Tessylo    6 years ago

I'm surprised they didn't suck each other's little . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @5    6 years ago
I'm surprised they didn't suck each other's little . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

fingers.....Too Much Info

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @5    6 years ago

They"re saving that for the second date

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7  Paula Bartholomew    6 years ago

Trump once said that he could shoot someone and his supporters would not care.  His new butt buddy had his own relative and an ex gf executed so I guess he is cool with that.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
7.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7    6 years ago

When Trump mentioned that to Kim, Kim replied "I killed four nephews before breakfast."

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @7.1    6 years ago
"I killed four nephews before breakfast."

And Trump likely applauded and patted Kim's fat butt to show his support.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    6 years ago

Make up your damned mind. A year ago, Trump's critics were freaking out because he was calling Kim "Little Rocket Man" and other insults. The Left was so upset with his anti-Kim rhetoric that they actually predicted we'd be at war with them by now. "What we need is diplomacy!" they insisted.

'War by next summer': North Korean crisis at perilous point

The Risk of Nuclear War with North Korea

Gen. Barry McCaffrey: Trump Could Lead U.S. To War With North Korea By Summer 2018

Cut to today, and Trump is talking about making peace with Kim and saying good things about him and the Left would have you believe Trump has betrayed our country to a hated enemy just by even meeting with him.

Pick one, but you don't get both.

lib50
Professor Silent
8.2  lib50  replied to  Tacos! @8    6 years ago
Pick one, but you don't get both.

Why are there only two options?  The stupid war mongering words were bad AND the giveaway he just gave Kim was BAD.  We got nothing, Kim got just what he wanted and a bonus!   Otherwise NOTHING WAS ACCOMPLISHED!  And by the way, why aren't republicans horrified that Trump SALUTED that North Korean military leader?  Can you imagine that being Obama?  What do YOU think?  How do you reconcile the old republican standards with what is happening today? 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
8.2.2  lady in black  replied to  XDm9mm @8.2.1    6 years ago

More whataboutism.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
8.2.3  lady in black  replied to  lib50 @8.2    6 years ago

Psst, speak the truth and all they have is whataboutism.

Can't debate the merits without but what about _________________. (fill in the name)

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
8.2.5  Explorerdog  replied to  XDm9mm @8.2.1    6 years ago

A clear conscience after all it was their money being returned, but amazingly you seem to forget that detail with astounding regularity! Trump has allied with the most barbaric dictator currently living on the planet, alienated all of our friends so he can have a monopoly on the North Korean golf and resort complex having already given a promotional video to start the greed moving.

A society grows great when men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. Trump cuts them down.

Trump does nothing that does not translate to his direct financial benefit, those that overlook this profound deficiency of his character either share the defect or overlook it to their own selfish ends. Putin is laughing at us yet again as trump does his bidding.

"If candidate Trump and President Putin had made a corrupt bargain which obligated President Trump to destabilize all U.S. security and trade alliances (especially NATO, which has been Russia’s primary strategic goal for 70 years) and advance the strategic interests of Russia, there’s really nothing more remotely realistic [Trump] could have done to accomplish that than what he has in fact done." Josh Marshall

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
8.2.6  Explorerdog  replied to  XDm9mm @8.2.4    6 years ago

Obama has 11 points and trump has 3 for returned hostages, by the calculations of the right that means trump wins

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8.2.7  It Is ME  replied to  Explorerdog @8.2.6    6 years ago

Didn't Trump get the 3 for Free ?

I've heard that Obama's 11 cost billions, and few terrorists give backs too.

"No Charge" is good.....right ?

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
8.2.8  Explorerdog  replied to  It Is ME @8.2.7    6 years ago

FREE? We haven't even begun to see the price tag and it already appears that trump threw out not only the baby with the bath water, but everything hidden in the bottom. That is a long way from free.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
8.2.9  Explorerdog  replied to  It Is ME @8.2.7    6 years ago

Give specifics on "billions" because I heard or someone told me or I saw it on faux doesn't cut it.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8.2.12  It Is ME  replied to  Explorerdog @8.2.9    6 years ago
Give specifics on "billions"

They made movies showing the pallets on just about every MSM network.

Did you miss it ?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8.2.13  It Is ME  replied to  Explorerdog @8.2.8    6 years ago
We haven't even begun to see the price tag

What cost for the 3 Americans ?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.14  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @8.2.11    6 years ago
If you have NOTHING it's best to remain quiet.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
8.2.15  Explorerdog  replied to  XDm9mm @8.2.11    6 years ago

You should heed your own advice as it was still their money and agreed that it should be returned.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
8.2.16  Explorerdog  replied to  Tessylo @8.2.14    6 years ago

All the references are up until 9-11 and most go back decades further, he did however forget the pirates of Tripoli and what they might owe, anyone sense axe grinding in trying to make trump look at least passable.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.2.18  Raven Wing  replied to  XDm9mm @8.2.11    6 years ago
If you have NOTHING it's best to remain quiet

You should take your own advice. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8.2.19  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @8.2.14    6 years ago
If you have NOTHING it's best to remain quiet.

So why are you making noise?

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
8.2.20  Explorerdog  replied to  Greg Jones @8.2.19    6 years ago

Covers up your sniveling.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2.21  Tacos!  replied to  lib50 @8.2    6 years ago
Why are there only two options?

Because you haven't left room for anything else. When just meeting with someone is branded either as incompetent or traitorous, that doesn't give a person a lot of options. I'd ask you what you think we should do with North Korea, but I fear you would look to Obama for answers. The Obama policy was to literally ignore NK and - I guess -  hope that magic would happen. So far, every time Trump has been tough on an adversary, he's "trying to start a war" and every time he tries to make peace, he's giving away the country. You have to be operating at a serious level of make-believe to think that Democrats have even a bad idea on how to pursue foreign policy.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2.22  Tacos!  replied to  lady in black @8.2.2    6 years ago
More whataboutism.

No, it's actually not whataboutism. Whataboutism is defined as "attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument." That's not what happened here.

XD actually did directly refute the argument. The claim was made that we got nothing and XD showed that we did, in fact, get something. i.e. hostages

We got other things, too. For example, a publicly declared change in policy from NK, who, in the space of a few months has gone from saying that they would never give up nuclear weapons to saying the exact opposite. It's not a done deal, but any means, but it's an important beginning, and something we had little or no hope of a year ago. (this argument is also not whataboutism)

lib50
Professor Silent
8.2.23  lib50  replied to  Tacos! @8.2.21    6 years ago

We can agree to disagree on that.  But please explain how you are fine with that salute.  Watch that moment, watch Kim's face as soon as Trump salutes, he gets a smile on his face you can't miss!  And the propaganda has already begun.  Knowing how horrified republicans were with far more minor gaffs by others, this must make you sick.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8.2.24  MrFrost  replied to  XDm9mm @8.2.1    6 years ago

Obama got 11 people released from NK. What else ya got? 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
8.2.25  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  MrFrost @8.2.24    6 years ago

Didn't he also arm drug lords, ISIS and negotiate with the Taliban?

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
8.3  Explorerdog  replied to  Tacos! @8    6 years ago

Actually trump using his infantile name calling to provoke a crisis is seriously a leader in a capacity far outside capabilities, the fact that the right think it cute is amazing, the self proclaimed great negotiator has given evidence of yet another boast of his that is totally empty. He sold the farm and jumped around saying but look I got a dollar. Kim may well be able to proclaim it is he that is the great negotiator because he has trump licking the floor. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

“There are a lot of killers,” Trump said. “We’ve got a lot of killers. What do you think, our country’s so innocent?”

And we put ours in prison when we convict them. Does our government go around killing people because we don't bow down to them or show them the "proper" respect?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9.1  It Is ME  replied to  Trout Giggles @9    6 years ago
Does our government go around killing people because we don't bow down to them or show them the "proper" respect?

Our "People"....do !

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10  author  JohnRussell    6 years ago

As far as I can see , almost all of the criticism of the article is that Obama did something or other too, and there fore it is ok that Trump kiss Kim Jong Un's ass. 

Those who have proof that Obama said something very similar to 

"a very talented person"

"a very smart guy"

"he's a great negotiator"

"he has a great personality"

about any dictators, please show us the examples.  Maybe he did, so show us the examples. Of course I wont take your word for it, because many of your words are worthless. 

I don't think Trump has any interest in North Korea, at all, except to the extent it can be seen as an example of him "doing something no one else can do". He wants at least the appearance of success, and it is possible that sucking up to a killer like Kim can make it look to stupid people like he is succeeding. 

I barely expect Trump to ever bring up this subject again, since he has already announced that North Korea is no longer a threat to world peace. If there are stumbling blocks to denuclearization  Trump will just pretend they don't exist. ("We settled this back in Singapore")