╌>

America is a Christian Nation

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  heartland-american  •  6 years ago  •  92 comments

America is a Christian Nation

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Billboards promoting a celebration of faith and freedom at the First Baptist Church in Dallas were removed after complaints from Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings and the Dallas Morning News.

The patriotic billboard campaign included the title of the sermon Dr. Robert Jeffress planned to deliver on June 24 – “America is a Christian Nation.”

“We were told by the billboard company that the message was divisive,” Jeffress told the Todd Starnes Radio Show.

The sermon title was inspired by a comments made by Supreme Court Justices John Jay and David Josiah Brewer – both of whom described America as a Christian nation.

MAJOR SPECIAL: Click here for a signed and personalized copy of Todd’s new book – “The Deplorables’ Guide to Making America Great Again!” Fight back against the Left!

“The message will present the historical evidence for the bedrock of faith upon which America was founded,” said Jeffress.

However, the Dallas Morning News and Mayor Rawlings blasted the pastor’s sermon title suggesting it was hateful and divisive.

“That is not the Christ I follow,” the mayor told the newspaper. “It’s not the Dallas I want to be – to say things that do not unite us but divide us. I never heard those words – that voice come out of Christ. Just the opposite. I was brought up to believe: Be proud of yours, but do not diminish mine.”

Columnist Robert Wilonsky started the controversy with a scathing column on June 7 titled, “First Baptist pastor Robert Jeffress’ gospel of division does not represent my Dallas.”

Wilonsky was apparently triggered by the patriotic billboard while stuck in traffic and suffered a massive microaggression.

“My rabbi warned me there would be days like this,” he wrote. “All I saw Wednesday was someone telling me and everyone else who does not worship Jesus Christ that we do not belong here.”

The following day the church received a message from the billboard company that their signed contract was being canceled and the billboards would be taken down.

“We are getting hammered by the media for the ‘America is a Christian Nation’ tagline on the billboards,” a representative of Outfront Media wrote to a church leader. “Dallas Morning News and other news affiliates are doing stories on how it’s offensive and bigoted. Someone called our corporate office in New York about the ‘offensive’ billboards and following our lawyer’s advice, we have to take them down ASAP.”

The church offered to revise the sermon title, “Is America a Christian Nation?” but that, too, was rejected by the billboard company.

“We were told that the title was ‘anger-provoking rather than ‘thought provoking,’” the pastor told me.

The local representative was apologetic – but it was clear the New York-based company was no match for angry anti-Christian radicals.

“The reason those on the Left do not want people to hear my message is that they know the historical evidence is on my side that America was founded on the principles of the Christian faith,” Jeffress said. “We will not be deterred as we defend the foundational values of our country.”

City Hall spokesman Scott Goldstein defended the mayor on Twitter.

“Mayor @Mike_Rawlings speaks for the real Dallas. The guy on the billboard does not,” he wrote.

To be clear, First Baptist Dallas has no beef with Outfront Media. They are a privately owned company and they have a right to decide who they do business with.

“We support the right of businesses to refuse service to customers based on religious conviction,” said Jeffress, who is also one of the top spiritual advisors to President Trump.

The problem, he said, is the Dallas Morning News and Mayor Rawlings.

“It should greatly concern people of any faith when those in the press or government proactively seek to defeat, censor or silence any religious message with which they disagree,” Jeffress said.

I reached out to the mayor’s office for a comment. I asked one simple question: did the city of Dallas directly or indirectly put pressure on the billboard company?

The mayor’s office did not respond to that question.

“We don’t believe Dallas city officials have any right to directly or indirectly be involved in censoring a church’s message,” Jeffress told me.

And what about the Dallas Morning News?

“For the Dallas Morning News – who pose as champions of free speech, to try to censor our church’s message is gross hypocrisy,” the pastor said.

The key word is “try.”

It turns out another billboard company offered to put up the church’s message on 20 billboards, not two.

In other words, Mr. Wilonsky might want to find another way to work – or else prepare for another traffic jam microaggression.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

“We support the right of businesses to refuse service to customers based on religious conviction,” said Jeffress, who is also one of the top spiritual advisors to President Trump.

The problem, he said, is the Dallas Morning News and Mayor Rawlings.

“It should greatly concern people of any faith when those in the press or government proactively seek to defeat, censor or silence any religious message with which they disagree,” Jeffress said.

I reached out to the mayor’s office for a comment. I asked one simple question: did the city of Dallas directly or indirectly put pressure on the billboard company?

The mayor’s office did not respond to that question.

“We don’t believe Dallas city officials have any right to directly or indirectly be involved in censoring a church’s message,” Jeffress told me.

And what about the Dallas Morning News?

“For the Dallas Morning News – who pose as champions of free speech, to try to censor our church’s message is gross hypocrisy,” the pastor said.

The key word is “try.”

It turns out another billboard company offered to put up the church’s message on 20 billboards, not two.

In other words, Mr. Wilonsky might want to find another way to work – or else prepare for another traffic jam microaggression.“

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    6 years ago

This is absolute bullsh't. The US was founded on freedom of religion for all people and those who are not relgious believers equally. To say otherwise is ignorant in the extreme.

This man needs to read the writings of Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, and James Madison. 

“The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.”
—John Adams

“The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus by the Supreme Being in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. … But we may hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with all this artificial scaffolding…. “

T.Jefferson to John Adams in 1823.

[When] the [Virginia] bill for establishing religious freedom... was finally passed,... a singular proposition proved that its protection of opinion was meant to be universal. Where the preamble declares that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed, by inserting the word "Jesus Christ," so that it should read "a departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion." The insertion was rejected by a great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend within the mantle of its protection the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mahometan, the Hindoo and infidel of every denomination." --Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.

1. “If I could conceive that the general government might ever be so administered as to render the liberty of conscience insecure, I beg you will be persuaded, that no one would be more zealous than myself to establish effectual barriers against the horrors of spiritual tyranny, and every species of religious persecution.”
~Founding Father George Washington, letter to the United Baptist Chamber of Virginia, May 1789

6. “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
~Founding Father James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

17. “Every new and successful example of a perfect separation between ecclesiastical and civil matters is of importance.”
~Founding Father James Madison, letter, 1822

18. “Strongly guarded as is the separation between Religion and Government in the Constitution of the United States, the danger of encroachment by Ecclesiastical Bodies, may be illustrated by precedents already furnished in their short history.”
~Founding Father James Madison; Monopolies, Perpetuities, Corporations, Ecclesiastical
Endowment

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    6 years ago

Treaty of Tripoli

Art. 11.

As the Government of the United States of America is not , in any sense, founded on the Christian religion ; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen (Muslims); and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan ( Mohammedan ) nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2  lennylynx    6 years ago

Wrong.  America is a secular nation with secular laws, and a country where everyone is free to practice whatever religion they choose.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  lennylynx @2    6 years ago

What you say is true but the faith of many founders, the divine providence that led to our founding and surviving the revolution and the values we were founded upon is also true.  

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.1.1  Skrekk  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    6 years ago

Very revealing that Jeffress is a pastor in a sect which was literally founded to promote slavery & white supremacy, and which to this day is still profoundly homophobic and misogynistic......his nutty sect doesn't even allow women to be pastors or to hold any position of authority over a man.

So at best he represents the pre-civil war vision of America as held by white southern slave owners, but given some of his other views against Catholics, Mormons, Muslims, Jews and other non-Christians he really represents the vision of America held by bigoted Christians before the 1st Amendment was enacted.    He truly represents everything that's wrong with right-wing Christianity.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Skrekk @2.1.1    6 years ago

He’s a pastor in America’s largest Protestant denomination and is an advisor to the President of the United States on a variety of matters.   

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.1.3  Skrekk  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.2    6 years ago

It makes perfect sense that Trump's theological adviser would come from a twisted sect which was founded to support slavery and white supremacy, and which hates gays and treats women as subordinate.   Heck, they've only recently begun to perform weddings for mixed-race couples and some SBC churches still prohibit it.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.4  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.2    6 years ago
He’s a pastor in America’s largest Protestant denomination and is an advisor to the President of the United States on a variety of matters.

That popularity fallacy doesn't mean squat. Jeffers is just another religious loon who didn't bother to read all of the Constitution or the Federalist papers and who has a religious blind spot the size of Nevada to facts.  There is absolutely nothing to suggest that the US was created as a Christian county or that only Christians enjoy religious rights.  That fact that we have a "No Religious Test" clause in the US Constitution is proof that the government cannot discriminate against non-Christians when hiring/nominating/electing civil servants.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.5  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.2    6 years ago

Is that supposed to mean anything? That doesn't exactly speak well of either Dr. Jeffress or Pres. Trump.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.6  Ozzwald  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    6 years ago
What you say is true but the faith of many founders

Christianity was not even the majority faith among the founding fathers, Theism was.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.7  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.6    6 years ago

Link?  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  Ozzwald  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.7    6 years ago
Link?

Here ya go. 

"> Link

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.9  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.8    6 years ago

A you tube video?  Really?  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.10  Ozzwald  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.9    6 years ago
A you tube video?  Really?

You asked for a link, I provided one.  Now your complaining that I gave you what you asked for?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.11  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.10    6 years ago

http://www.patheos.com/resources/additional-resources/2011/02/founding-fathers-were-not-deists-john-fea-02-02-2011

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3  pat wilson    6 years ago

Screen shot 20180618 at 6.14.00 PM.png

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  pat wilson @3    6 years ago

Jefferson was right then.  Churches led by priests had always been opposed to personal and religious freedom.  The Protestant reformation was relatively young then but now embodies the individual and religious liberty Jefferson provided us.  

charger 383
Professor Silent
3.1.1  charger 383  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1    6 years ago

what about churches lead by preachers?

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.2  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1    6 years ago
The Protestant reformation was relatively young then but now embodies the individual and religious liberty Jefferson provided us.

That is revisionist nonsense. Calvinists and Baptists do not support individual liberty.  The Protestant reformation was 250 years old. Jefferson was a Deist who was accused of being an atheist when he sought the presidency. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  epistte @3.1.2    6 years ago

Betsy Rich Bitch Devos is a calvinist.  She is set out to destroy public education as we know it.  

Education secretary Betsy DeVos wants to 'advance God's kingdom' through US school system

New cabinet member known for backing competition among schools and for donating heavily to Christian causes

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.3    6 years ago

Last part of thread removed as off topic and or sweeping generalizations [ph]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Robert Jeffress is a crackpot POS. 

-

I don't have a problem with saying "America is a Christian nation" as a defacto recognition that the majority of Americans are Christian. 

Of course, that recognition has to include equality for all other religions and no special considerations for Christians. In terms of the government, the US is a secular nation that neither favors nor discriminates against any religion. 

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
5  Drakkonis    6 years ago

To my brothers and sisters in Christ.

I would ask you to think carefully about this whole "America is a Christian nation" issue. Is this really about Jesus? Since Christ is the pattern we are to follow, I think we ought to look at his life and words in order to answer that. I have to tell you. I can't think of anything he did or said that even remotely indicates this is something we should be involved with. Jesus didn't try to establish some sort of government in order to enforce recognition of himself. What I see him doing was going out in the other direction. Away from government and toward people. He went out among those who needed him. He told them the truth about the good news. Then, he died for them. 

After his resurrection, he told us to go and make disciples of all the nations. I don't believe he meant governments. He didn't shed his blood for Republicans, Democrats or any other party or ideology. He died for each individual. Our task is to first, know and follow Jesus. Then attract others through the example of our own lives, changed by God and the sharing of the good news. I don't believe a single heart would turn toward God by declaring our nation to be Christian in government or policy. We can't legislate salvation, and salvation is what we should be concerned with, not forcing our beliefs on those who don't want them. Instead of offering the freedom Christ provides, we simply become oppressors. 

I understand the appeal of this issue. It feels good to fight for God, right? But when I look at it, really look at it, I see it's really about my own pride in the choice I made to follow Christ. At it's core, it isn't about Jesus at all. It's about vindicating ourselves by forcing our beliefs on others. God said it is He who establishes all authorities. So let's let Him do that while we do our jobs. Know and follow Christ. Share the good news. Love others as ourselves. The rest is God's job. 

Thanks for listening. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Drakkonis @5    6 years ago

That's a very nice comment.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6  Gordy327    6 years ago
America is a Christian Nation.”

Yeah, except it's not. It's a secular nation which happens to have many Christians in it.

“We were told by the billboard company that the message was divisive,”

Not to mention a flat out lie too.

The sermon title was inspired by a comments made by Supreme Court Justices John Jay and David Josiah Brewer – both of whom described America as a Christian nation.

Both of whom made such proclamations in dicta, as in their own personal opinions which were not part of any legally binding decision or ruling.

“The message will present the historical evidence for the bedrock of faith upon which America was founded,” said Jeffress.

Funny how I don't see Christianity or god mentioned anywhere in the Constitution.

“My rabbi warned me there would be days like this,”

Which begs the question, if America were a Christian nation (it's not!), then what about Jews, Muslims, atheists, or other non-Christians? Are they deemed second class citizens? Are their religions, or lack of it, somehow deemed less worthy than Christianity?

“We are getting hammered by the media for the ‘America is a Christian Nation’ tagline on the billboards,” a representative of Outfront Media wrote to a church leader.

I guess that means more people disagree with the notion of America being a Christian nation.

The church offered to revise the sermon title, “Is America a Christian Nation?”

Hint: the correct answer to that question is no.

“The reason those on the Left do not want people to hear my message is that they know the historical evidence is on my side that America was founded on the principles of the Christian faith,” Jeffress said. “We will not be deterred as we defend the foundational values of our country.”

According to Christian revisionist historical "evidence" maybe. But not actual historical evidence or history itself!

“We support the right of businesses to refuse service to customers based on religious conviction,”

No surprise that religion promotes or supports discrimination.

Sounds like it's the billboard company as well as everyone complaining about it that took issue with the message. Of course religion wants to play the victim here.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1  devangelical  replied to  Gordy327 @6    6 years ago

softball sized water balloons filled with cheap paint, water balloon slingshot, pickup truck with 2x2's in the rear stake holes. 3 minutes per sign. wait until the thumper church pays for the signage in full first.

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.1  epistte  replied to  devangelical @6.1    6 years ago

Paintball guns are faster and have similar range.

Don't ask how I learned this.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  epistte @6.1.1    6 years ago
Don't ask how I learned this.

I'll bet there's an interesting story behind it.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  devangelical @6.1    6 years ago

I can't condone vandalism. But I like the way you think. Better yet, chug a beer for each direct hit. Bonus beer if the billboard has a cross and you bulls-eye it. Lol

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @6.1.3    6 years ago

Sounds EXACTLY like you are condoning and hoping for vandalism.

Destroying something not yours because you don't like the message is childish and against the law. Why don't you take out a competing billboard and pay for it yourself?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @6.1    6 years ago

So you are another one supporting vandalism? How about someone spray paint your home or car because they don't like the views YOU express?

Sounds fair to me!

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.6  devangelical  replied to  epistte @6.1.1    6 years ago

No worries. I can definitely appreciate that type of paint application in certain suggestive situations.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.7  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @6.1.6    6 years ago

Interesting the lengths you advocate others do to repress and destroy the free speech right of other Americans.  

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.8  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.7    6 years ago
Interesting the lengths you advocate others do to repress and destroy the free speech right of other Americans.

A private person defacing a billboard is not a violation of your free speech rights. It might be an act of vandalism but it is not a free speech violation because your free speech rights only guarantee that you cannot be fined or arrested by the government for your speech until said speech/words become a credible and imminent threat to others.   Unless you can prove that the person defacing the religious billboard works for the government you don't have a free speech violation. 

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.9  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @6.1.2    6 years ago
I'll bet there's an interesting story behind it.

Yes, there is.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @6.1.8    6 years ago

Why would any self-respecting American advocate for vandalism instead of opening their wallet and paying for a billboard espousing THEIR own viewpoint?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.11  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.4    6 years ago
Sounds EXACTLY like you are condoning and hoping for vandalism.

Sounds EXACTLY like you are wrong!

Destroying something not yours because you don't like the message is childish and against the law. Why don't you take out a competing billboard and pay for it yourself?

I specifically said I do not condone vandalism. ( Deleted, skirting  {SP} )

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.12  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.7    6 years ago

Such hyperbole. How is your or anyone else's free speech being destroyed exactly?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @6.1.11    6 years ago

6.1 devangelical replied to Gordy327 @6 4 hours ago
softball sized water balloons filled with cheap paint, water balloon slingshot, pickup truck with 2x2's in the rear stake holes. 3 minutes per sign. wait until the thumper church pays for the signage in full first.

6.1.3 Gordy327 replied to devangelical @6.1 an hour ago
I can't condone vandalism. But I like the way you think. Better yet, chug a beer for each direct hit. Bonus beer if the billboard has a cross and you bulls-eye it. Lol

Your words--not mine. If that isn't condoning vandalism or hoping that it happens, WTF IS it?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.14  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.13    6 years ago
Your words--not mine.

I know what I said, thank you.

If that isn't condoning vandalism or hoping that it happens, WTF IS it?

It's your overactive imagination. Especially since I said "I can't condone vandalism." Also my words! If you want to look into it more than there is, that's your problem.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @6.1.14    6 years ago

Your "words" are contradictory.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @6.1.14    6 years ago

I didn't imagine YOUR words, I quoted them to you.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.17  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @6.1.12    6 years ago

Destroying a message another pays to express is destroying their free speech rights as well as all denied an opportunity to see the expression due to the vandalism and property damage.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.18  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.17    6 years ago
Destroying a message another pays to express is destroying their free speech rights as well as all denied an opportunity to see the expression due to the vandalism and property damage.

No, that's just vandalism. You're still able to post your speech. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.19  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.16    6 years ago
I didn't imagine YOUR words, I quoted them to you.

And I explained them. Not my problem if you don't get it. Neither do I really care!

Your "words" are contradictory.

Only in your mind.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.20  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @6.1.18    6 years ago

In my mind, and on my screen.

Saying you don't condone vandalism while giving suggestions of what you would like to see done to a sign that wasn't yours and you didn't pay for doesn't change what your words were.

I got it right.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.21  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.20    6 years ago
I got it right.

Like I said, in your mind.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @6.1.21    6 years ago

Yep. And on my screen.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.23  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.7    6 years ago

Personally, I'd rather beat unamerican born again scum like a caught purse snatcher when they step off church property to promote dominionism now, but I can wait a few years until it's legal.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.24  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @6.1.23    6 years ago

Best move your ass to some country where it already is acceptable, because it ain't happening here!

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.25  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.7    6 years ago

Deleted  skirting  {SP}

Labeling and/or creative name-calling of entire political groups, ideological, religious, cultural, sexual identity / orientation, etc. groups (i.e. Rethuglicans, Libtards, etc), is forbidden. Phrases meant to denigrate are not allowed (e.g. ‘your ilk’).

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.26  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.24    6 years ago

It already has, and I wore my boots the last time.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.27  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @6.1.25    6 years ago

Deleted  skirting  {SP}

Labeling and/or creative name-calling of entire political groups, ideological, religious, cultural, sexual identity / orientation, etc. groups (i.e. Rethuglicans, Libtards, etc), is forbidden. Phrases meant to denigrate are not allowed (e.g. ‘your ilk’).

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.28  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @6.1.26    6 years ago

Sure.

LMFAO!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.29  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @6.1.3    6 years ago

But use a cheap beer.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.30  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @6.1.25    6 years ago

...fucking coffee.

(ahem)

I really don't think the vast majority of Americans care that much about what happens to the most zealous members of some exceptionally unpopular and politically radical sub-sect of a popular religion. As an American that respects the US Constitution, I detest those that hide behind the 1st amendment while promoting their non-secular ideologies.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.31  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @6.1.30    6 years ago

Evangelical Christianity is not radical nor zealous and is quite popular in most of the country.  We are likely combined one of the larger groups of citizens in the country.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.32  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @6.1.23    6 years ago

When and how will it be legal to beat up other American citizens over a disagreement of beliefs about religion or politics?  

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
6.1.33  Skrekk  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.31    6 years ago
Evangelical Christianity is not radical nor zealous and is quite popular in most of the country.

The peculiar sect which Jeffress espouses seems pretty extreme......it was literally founded to promote slavery and white supremacy, it supported Jim Crow and the lynching of blacks folks,  it vehemently opposed mixed-race marriage and same-sex marriage, it still tolerates racist churches, and it both hates gays and still prohibits women from having any authority over a man.

I don't know if other evangelical sects are equally bad but the one you chose to seed here is quite un-American.

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.34  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.31    6 years ago
Evangelical Christianity is not radical nor zealous and is quite popular in most of the country.

Anyone who supports reparative therapy and hiding bigotry behind religious belief is radical and morally abhorrent.

America’s community of self-described evangelicals, about a fourth of the population, is increasingly divided between a more conservative, Trump-aligned bloc deeply worried about losing the so-called culture wars; and a bloc that is more liberal on issues like immigration, conscious of the need to appeal to nonwhite Christians and wary of the president. The split in evangelical Christianity isn’t new, but it appears to be widening under Trump.

Two factors appear to be driving this divide. First, the number of white evangelicals is in decline in America at the same time that the evangelical population is becoming more racially diverse. According to 2016 data from the Public Religion Research Institute , about 64 percent of evangelicals are non-Hispanic white, compared to about 68 percent in 2006. 1

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.35  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @6.1.34    6 years ago

Are you a moderator now?  

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.36  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.35    6 years ago
Are you a moderator now?

Where did you get this idea?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.37  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @6.1.36    6 years ago

The Purple font color is supposed to be reserved for their most holy pronouncements from upon high.  I bow to you tough guy  

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.38  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.31    6 years ago

The 1st and 2nd amendment use the same wall.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.39  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.32    6 years ago

When it violates my personal space after a warning.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.40  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @6.1.39    6 years ago

There are no constitutionally protected religious or political words that can be spoken by anyone that would justify or excuse a physical assault and battery upon another person.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.41  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.40    6 years ago

Divisive religious hate speech more than qualifies.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.42  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @6.1.41    6 years ago

You don’t get to determine what is constitutionally protected free speech of a political or religious nature.  Even if one was using hate speech about you toward you it may well not give you the legal right to respond to it by resorting to physical violence in response.  Mere political and religious speech never will give you the right to use physical force to censor or repress that speech with which you disagree with.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.43  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.42    6 years ago
You don’t get to determine what is constitutionally protected free speech of a political or religious nature.

Why can't I? You do it on your seeds.

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.44  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.32    6 years ago
When and how will it be legal to beat up other American citizens over a disagreement of beliefs about religion or politics?

That would only occur when assault is not a crime. Currently that would be a religious hate crime.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7  Thrawn 31    6 years ago
America Is A Christian Nation

No it isn't. It is not based in any way shape or form on Christianity or the bullshit. Sorry, I meant the bible. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7    6 years ago

It is but some are trying to change it.   https://www.onenewsnow.com/perspectives/star-parker/2018/06/20/do-christians-have-a-future-in-lgbtq-america                             

Carefully reasoned discourse – which is what Dixon offered in her fatal op-ed – is not welcome in a politicized society, because the pursuit of truth is no longer relevant. Only behavior consistent with predetermined political ends is.

This slippery slope leads in one direction. Less freedom and more oppression. Exactly what our nation is not supposed to be about.

It shouldn't surprise us, then, that Gay Pride Month has become a time for LGBTQ storm troopers to pursue political enemies. Not much different from the infamous Kristallnacht in Nazi Germany, when Nazi brown shirts took to the streets to smash windows of shops owned by Jews.

Thus among the stories of this Gay Pride Month:

Another high-tech executive, the CEO of Twitter, with an estimated net worth of $5 billion, was forced to offer a social media apology for eating a chicken sandwich in Chick-fil-A. Patronizing a fast-food establishment whose CEO is a devout Christian, with the temerity to have criticized the Supreme Court decision legalizing same-sex marriage, is a high crime in the eyes of the LGBTQ judges and jury.
Russell Berger, chief knowledge officer of CrossFit, was fired for tweeting his support of a company decision to cancel participation of a CrossFit gym in Indianapolis in Gay Pride Month events. Berger, a seminary trained pastor, was perhaps excessively inflammatory because he used the word "sin." If there is any "sin" in today's politicized America, it is to claim that sin, in the biblical sense, exists.
A Muslim Uber driver was fired for asking two lesbian passengers to leave his car after they began kissing and embracing.
Last year, my office in Washington had to temporarily close because of threats when, in a cable TV interview, I equated the LGBTQ rainbow flag to the Confederate flag. From my point a view, it's a totally reasonable assertion. As a black American, the Confederate flag communicates to me that I am not welcome. As a Christian American, the rainbow flag communicates to me that I am not welcome.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.1  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1    6 years ago
It shouldn't surprise us, then, that Gay Pride Month has become a time for LGBTQ storm troopers to pursue political enemies. Not much different from the infamous Kristallnacht in Nazi Germany, when Nazi brown shirts took to the streets to smash windows of shops owned by Jews.

There is no slippery slope.  There is a strict separation of church and state to keep the state neutral on religion so as to protect the religious rights of everyone, especially the minorities who are the most prone to having their rights, religious and otherwise, being trampled by the majority.  You and everyone else have the constitutional right to worship and believe as you wish, but you most certainly do not have the right to legislate your religious beliefs. If you could legislate your religious beliefs then those of every other belief would have fewer rights than you do, which is unconstutional because it is unequal.   

Who are these supposed LGBTQ storm troopers and what political enemy are they harassing?

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.2  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1    6 years ago
This slippery slope leads in one direction. Less freedom and more oppression. Exactly what our nation is not supposed to be about.

The unwanted imposition of any religious dogma on American culture will lead to less freedom. It's the duty of every patriotic American to repel and refute any attempts of theocrats to create a social caste system based upon extreme religious beliefs.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1    6 years ago

Talk about an emotional response....

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1.3    6 years ago

Actually Star Parker is 100% correct in what she wrote about the LGBTQ 🏳️‍🌈 storm ⛈ troopers.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.4    6 years ago

And she's being emotional not rational

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.6  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.4    6 years ago
Actually Star Parker is 100% correct in what she wrote about the LGBTQ 🏳️‍🌈 storm ⛈ troopers.

Your beliefs are despite any supporting evidence. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.7  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @7.1.6    6 years ago

She provided plenty of supporting evidence for our opinions in the article I quoted a snippet of.  

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.8  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.7    6 years ago
She provided plenty of supporting evidence for our opinions in the article I quoted a snippet of.

Opinions are not facts. Her argument is just as emotionally biased as yours is. There are no LGBTQ stormtroopers persecuting you or any other religious conservative.

When do you plan to understand and embrace the idea that your beliefs are not facts just because you believe them. Beliefs are subjective and facts are objective.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
7.1.9  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1    6 years ago

some are trying to change it.

Good luck with that.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.1.10  Thrawn 31  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1    6 years ago
It is but some are trying to change it.

No, it isn't. The bible nor christianity is ever mentioned even a single time in the nation's founding documents, nor is any facet of the structure of the nation found in christianity. I mean I guess you could argue that the worst aspects of America at its founding were similar to biblical practices (slavery, women being second class citizens etc) but that's it. So sure, the shittiest parts of America are supported by the bible, but that isn't exactly something to be proud of. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.1.11  Thrawn 31  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1.3    6 years ago
Talk about an emotional response....

The pity party HA throws for himself is hilarious. He acts like he is a member of some long persecuted minority that has to sleep with one eye open, it is one of the most pathetic displays I have ever witnessed. It honestly seems like he believes Christians in America are living in the same situation as Jews in Germany in the 1930s (since he brought Nazis into the discussion) as they were being viciously oppressed by German christians... And yes HA, the vast majority of Germans in general, as well as members of the Nazi party were professed Christians. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.12  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7.1.11    6 years ago

Actually the LGBTQ 🏳️‍🌈 were refered to in that manner in a quote from an article not from me.  The higher ups and those in charge of the German Nazi party were atheists and very anti Christian. The LGBTQ community in America is very anti Christian as well.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.13  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.12    6 years ago
he LGBTQ community in America is very anti Christian as well.

Sweeping generalization.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.14  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.12    6 years ago
The LGBTQ community in America is very anti Christian as well.

This is only true if one of the central beliefs of Christianity is discrimination and bigotry. Are all Christians bigots?

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.15  epistte  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7.1.11    6 years ago
The pity party HA throws for himself is hilarious. He acts like he is a member of some long persecuted minority that has to sleep with one eye open, it is one of the most pathetic displays I have ever witnessed.

I'll offer him the free use of a step ladder if he ever wants to come down from his cross.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
7.1.16  Phoenyx13  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.12    6 years ago
The LGBTQ community in America is very anti Christian as well.

is that why there are so many LGBTQ community members who follow the Christian religion, because they are very "anti Christian", Heartland America ?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.17  Trout Giggles  replied to  Phoenyx13 @7.1.16    6 years ago

Don't we have at least one gay member who is a devout Christian?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.18  Gordy327  replied to  epistte @7.1.14    6 years ago
Are all Christians bigots?

Sometimes I wonder.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.19  epistte  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1.17    6 years ago
Don't we have at least one gay member who is a devout Christian?

I knew a transgendered female who was half-in and half-out of the closet because of her Southern Baptist religious views. She was an emotional train wreck.  When she was able to unchain herself from her religious beliefs she looked like Grace Slick.