╌>

Three Rhino Poachers Eaten By Lions in South Africa

Category:  World News

Via:  hal-a-lujah  •  6 years ago  •  28 comments

Three Rhino Poachers Eaten By Lions in South Africa

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Source

A pride of lions ate a group of poachers after they broke into a game reserve earlier this week in South Africa to hunt rhinoceroses.

Three men were believed to have been eaten alive by the predators sometime between Sunday night and Monday morning after they entered the Sibuya Game Reserve in Kenton-on-Sea to hunt rhinos, Nick Fox, the park’s owner, told Newsweek.

After the incident, authorities recovered the remains of their parts, three pairs of shoes, wire cutters, high-powered hunting rifles fitted with silencers and a type of ax that is commonly used by poachers to remove rhino horns.

"The only body part we found was one skull and one bit of pelvis, everything else was completely gone,” Fox said. “There is so little left that they don’t know exactly how many people were killed, we suspect three because we found three sets of shoes and three sets of gloves.” 

Fox also revealed that rhino poaching groups usually consist of three people.

Although Fox admits that the incident was tragic, he also noted that it should send a “message” to other poachers who risk their lives to hunt game in his reserve.

At around 4.30 a.m. on Monday morning, one of Sibuya’s anti-poaching dogs gave her handler a warning that something was wrong. The handler then heard a commotion from the lions but didn’t investigate as there usually is around the early hours. This is when authorities believed the incident occurred.

One day later, one of the reserve’s rangers then stumbled upon the remains of the poachers. After immediately alerting the police, the staffers decided to continue their investigation the next morning as it was getting dark. On Wednesday, Sibuya employees and police found the poachers’ gear scattered through the thick bushes.

“They [found] an ax and high-powered rifle with a silencer, which is a surefire sign of rhino poachers,” Fox said.

Captain Mali Govender, a police spokesperson, revealed that detectives are investigating the incident to determine exactly how many people were eaten. “We do not know identities, but firearms have been taken by the police and will be sent to the ballistics laboratory to see if they have been used in poaching before,” she said.

The search party also enlisted the assistance of a helicopter to locate any survivors. None have been found at the time this article was published.

Sibuya is one of the most popular game reserves in the South African province of Eastern Cape. The facility boasts 30 square miles of wildlife and contains Africa’s big five game animals: lions, rhinos, elephants, buffalos and leopards.

Due to its prominence and collection of animals, the park has faced multiple break-ins by poachers in recent years. In 2016, three rhinos were shot dead by poachers who broke into the reserve to cut off their horns.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

Party Hanging loose la de da

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1  Kavika   replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    6 years ago

A few weeks ago game wardens shot three poachers  dead and wounded two more. 

Seems that the good guys/animals are winning.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Kavika @1.1    6 years ago

I would much rather that they capture them alive, then chain them to a tree and soak them in chicken broth.  The lions would prefer that too.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Kavika   replied to    6 years ago

Tell me where we are not allowed to hunt on our land? What methods are you talking about?

BTW white privilege doesn't apply to me since I'm not white.  That may be something that your stuck with though.

The poachers were breaking the law in their land. That being the case how are we telling them what to do with their resources? 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Kavika @1.1    6 years ago
A few weeks ago game wardens shot three poachers

Anyone seen Donald Jr. and Eric Trump recently? I know they've liked pretending to be hunters before... Nothing say's you're a "real man" like shooting a trapped endangered species from the protection of a Range Rover then bragging about it to all your sycophants.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.5  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.4    6 years ago

Fingers crossed!

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
1.1.6  mocowgirl  replied to    6 years ago
telling people in Africa or any other country how to use their resources the saying white privilege comes to mind when you can't feed your children.

The Rhinos are being killed for their horns.  I was very happy to see that today it was lions 3 and poachers 0.

Officials have been entwined in the business for a while. The Vietnamese embassy in South Africa has been " repeatedly implicated in illicit rhino horn trade " (pdf, p.82) according to a report by conservation group Traffic. It's not like all of the Vietnamese government has turned a blind eye; its   customs officials sometimes confiscate rhino horn , and the government just   signed an agreement with South Africa   to step up enforcement.

The Paradox of a Rhinoless World
The Vietnamese rhino horn craze has caused  an unprecedented surge in rhino poaching   throughout Africa  and  Asia . The  last rhino of Mozambique was confirmed dead  in early May. Oftentimes,   poachers saw off the rhinos' horns while they're still alive , leaving them to bleed to death:

The slaughter is such that poaching is becoming less frequent in some areas, simply because there are so few rhinos left to kill.

Paradoxically, the world's dwindling rhino population threatens only to make this worse, as diminished supply makes prices climb even higher. Given that one of the things driving demand is the perceived luxury of the item, higher prices alone are unlikely to snuff out demand. And with a single horn fetching as much as $300,000, the risk of being caught probably seems to many poachers to be one worth running.

That's probably why the fight against poaching is something of a losing battle. Though South Africa has done an  admirable job of protecting its white rhinos , 668 were poached there in 2012-- a 50% increase on 2011 . And as we discussed recently,   other countries may soon use drones to foil poachers , so dire is the problem.

Vietnam's own nature park rangers don't have to worry, though. Their job is already done. In 2010, the last Javan rhino in Vietnam was found dead, a bullet wound in his leg and with  his horn hacked off .

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    6 years ago

Too bad there is no You Tube video of it. The bastards had in coming though.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    6 years ago

I bet it feels horrible to be eaten alive by a lion. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.3.1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3    6 years ago

I’ve always said that it would be better to be eaten by a lion than a bear.  The lion will make sure you’re dead before it eats you.  The bear will hold you down with one paw, strip your flash off with another, and eat you while you watch.  In that sense, they got off easy.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2  devangelical    6 years ago

Good kitties.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3  dave-2693993    6 years ago

I wonder if these guys followed up on a "hold my beer" stunt?

charger 383
Professor Silent
4  charger 383    6 years ago

Got just what they deserved 

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
7  cjfrommn    6 years ago

well i suspect they made the fatal mistake of seeing one and focused on it and the other two said " humm which one you want buddy"

and the end result is just fine with me.  

Jim of the Great Northwoods
Freshman Silent
8  Jim of the Great Northwoods    6 years ago

Own a couple of cats. I sleep with one eye open.

TTGA
Professor Silent
10  TTGA    6 years ago

Hmmmm.....so the lions ate some dirtbag poachers.  Maybe that's why they call it a PRIDE of lions.  They clean up the filth from the jungle.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
11  1ofmany    6 years ago

There must be a better way to handle rhino horn poaching than hoping that the poachers are eaten by lions. Poaching is a big problem because rhino horn is highly prized in Asia. It’s an incredibly lucrative black market where a little bit of rhino horn is like hitting the lotto for a poor African. Lions are extraordinarily dangerous, especially at night, but they can be killed if the poachers are ready for them. 

Rhino horn is made out of keratin, like fingernails, so it grows back when cut. Selling rhino horn is illegal, even if harvested, so poachers sneak in, needlessly slaughter rhinos, and run off. Poaching seems to be getting much worse. Is it time to consider making the sale of harvested horn legal or would that have no effect on poaching? 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
11.1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  1ofmany @11    6 years ago

Or maybe Asians can just come to their senses and admit that rhino horn isn’t going to make you more verile or help your boner problems.

PJ
Masters Quiet
11.1.1  PJ  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @11.1    6 years ago

I've always been curious why Asians seem to have an obsession with sex.  Do they have issues with ED and FSAD?

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
11.1.2  lennylynx  replied to  PJ @11.1.1    6 years ago

They have little ones like Trump! Happy

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
11.1.3  1ofmany  replied to  lennylynx @11.1.2    6 years ago
They have little ones like Trump.

Well, if they’re delusional enough to think the rhino horn changed that, then I’m sure their wives can tell them the truth. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
12  Tacos!    6 years ago

Pretty much the very definition of poetic justice.