╌>

U.S. Opposition to Breast-Feeding Resolution Stuns World Health Officials

Category:  World News

Via:  bob-nelson  •  6 years ago  •  95 comments

U.S. Opposition to Breast-Feeding Resolution Stuns World Health Officials

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A resolution to encourage breast-feeding was expected to be approved quickly and easily by the hundreds of government delegates who gathered this spring in Geneva for the United Nations-affiliated World Health Assembly.

Based on decades of research, the resolution says that mother’s milk is healthiest for children and countries should strive to limit the inaccurate or misleading marketing of breast milk substitutes.

Then the United States delegation, embracing the interests of infant formula manufacturers, upended the deliberations.

merlin_74866264_0e99440c95bc40f58b74c30bc48e93e4jumbo1.jpg A Brooklyn mother unable to nurse fed her child donated breast milk. The $70 billion infant formula industry has seen sales flatten in wealthy countries in recent years.
James Estrin/The New York Times

American officials sought to water down the resolution by removing language that called on governments to “protect, promote and support breast-feeding” and another passage that called on policymakers to restrict the promotion of food products that many experts say can have deleterious effects on young children.

When that failed, they turned to threats, according to diplomats and government officials who took part in the discussions. Ecuador, which had planned to introduce the measure, was the first to find itself in the cross hairs.

The Americans were blunt: If Ecuador refused to drop the resolution, Washington would unleash punishing trade measures and withdraw crucial military aid. The Ecuadorean government quickly acquiesced.

The showdown over the issue was recounted by more than a dozen participants from several countries, many of whom requested anonymity because they feared retaliation from the United States.

Health advocates scrambled to find another sponsor for the resolution, but at least a dozen countries, most of them poor nations in Africa and Latin America, backed off, citing fears of retaliation, according to officials from Uruguay, Mexico and the United States.

“We were astonished, appalled and also saddened,” said Patti Rundall, the policy director of the British advocacy group Baby Milk Action, who has attended meetings of the assembly, the decision-making body of the World Health Organization, since the late 1980s.

“What happened was tantamount to blackmail, with the U.S. holding the world hostage and trying to overturn nearly 40 years of consensus on the best way to protect infant and young child health,” she said.

In the end, the Americans’ efforts were mostly unsuccessful. It was the Russians who ultimately stepped in to introduce the measure — and the Americans did not threaten them.

00BREASTFEEDING2jumbo1.jpg The United States ambassador to Ecuador, Todd C. Chapman, left, in Quito’s historical center with a guide, center, and the undersecretary of state for political affairs, Thomas A. Shannon.
Jose Jacome/EPA, via Shutterstock

The State Department declined to respond to questions, saying it could not discuss private diplomatic conversations. The Department of Health and Human Services, the lead agency in the effort to modify the resolution, explained the decision to contest the resolution’s wording but said H.H.S. was not involved in threatening Ecuador.

“The resolution as originally drafted placed unnecessary hurdles for mothers seeking to provide nutrition to their children,” an H.H.S. spokesman said in an email. “We recognize not all women are able to breast-feed for a variety of reasons. These women should have the choice and access to alternatives for the health of their babies, and not be stigmatized for the ways in which they are able to do so.” The spokesman asked to remain anonymous in order to speak more freely.

Although lobbyists from the baby food industry attended the meetings in Geneva, health advocates said they saw no direct evidence that they played a role in Washington’s strong-arm tactics. The $70 billion industry, which is dominated by a handful of American and European companies, has seen sales flatten in wealthy countries in recent years, as more women embrace breast-feeding. Over all, global sales are expected to rise by 4 percent in 2018, according to Euromonitor, with most of that growth occurring in developing nations.

The intensity of the administration’s opposition to the breast-feeding resolution stunned public health officials and foreign diplomats, who described it as a marked contrast to the Obama administration, which largely supported W.H.O.’s longstanding policy of encouraging breast-feeding.

During the deliberations, some American delegates even suggested the United States might cut its contribution to the W.H.O., several negotiators said. Washington is the single largest contributor to the health organization, providing $845 million, or roughly 15 percent of its budget, last year.

The confrontation was the latest example of the Trump administration siding with corporate interests on numerous public health and environmental issues.

In talks to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement, the Americans have been pushing for language that would limit the ability of Canada, Mexico and the United States to put warning labels on junk food and sugary beverages, according to a draft of the proposal reviewed by The New York Times.

During the same Geneva meeting where the breast-feeding resolution was debated, the United States succeeded in removing statements supporting soda taxes from a document that advises countries grappling with soaring rates of obesity.

The Americans also sought, unsuccessfully, to thwart a W.H.O. effort aimed at helping poor countries obtain access to lifesaving medicines. Washington, supporting the pharmaceutical industry, has long resisted calls to modify patent laws as a way of increasing drug availability in the developing world, but health advocates say the Trump administration has ratcheted up its opposition to such efforts.

The delegation’s actions in Geneva are in keeping with the tactics of an administration that has been upending alliances and long-established practices across a range of multilateral organizations, from the Paris climate accord to the Iran nuclear deal to Nafta.

Ilona Kickbusch, director of the Global Health Centre at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva, said there was a growing fear that the Trump administration could cause lasting damage to international health institutions like the W.H.O. that have been vital in containing epidemics like Ebola and the rising death toll from diabetes and cardiovascular disease in the developing world.

“It’s making everyone very nervous, because if you can’t agree on health multilateralism, what kind of multilateralism can you agree on?” Ms. Kickbusch asked.

merlin_138484023_e298bb9e705a4daea0c47901aad87d86superJumbo1.jpg The opening of the World Health Assembly in May. After American officials pressured Ecuador, it was Russia that introduced a resolution in support of breast-feeding.
Peter Klaunzer/EPA, via Shutterstock

A Russian delegate said the decision to introduce the breast-feeding resolution was a matter of principle.

“We’re not trying to be a hero here, but we feel that it is wrong when a big country tries to push around some very small countries, especially on an issue that is really important for the rest of the world,” said the delegate, who asked not to be identified because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

He said the United States did not directly pressure Moscow to back away from the measure. Nevertheless, the American delegation sought to wear down the other participants through procedural maneuvers in a series of meetings that stretched on for two days, an unexpectedly long period.

In the end, the United States was largely unsuccessful. The final resolution preserved most of the original wording, though American negotiators did get language removed that called on the W.H.O. to provide technical support to member states seeking to halt “inappropriate promotion of foods for infants and young children.”

The United States also insisted that the words “evidence-based” accompany references to long-established initiatives that promote breast-feeding, which critics described as a ploy that could be used to undermine programs that provide parents with feeding advice and support.

Elisabeth Sterken, director of the Infant Feeding Action Coalition in Canada, said four decades of research have established the importance of breast milk, which provides essential nutrients as well as hormones and antibodies that protect newborns against infectious disease.

A 2016 study in The Lancet found that universal breast-feeding would prevent 800,000 child deaths a year across the globe and yield $300 billion in savings from reduced health care costs and improved economic outcomes for those reared on breast milk.

Scientists are loath to carry out double-blind studies that would provide one group with breast milk and another with breast milk substitutes. “This kind of ‘evidence-based’ research would be ethically and morally unacceptable,” Ms. Sterken said.

Abbott Laboratories, the Chicago-based company that is one of the biggest players in the $70 billion baby food market, declined to comment.

Nestlé, the Switzerland-based food giant with significant operations in the United States, sought to distance itself from the threats against Ecuador and said the company would continue to support the international code on the marketing of breast milk substitutes, which calls on governments to regulate the inappropriate promotion of such products and to encourage breast-feeding.

In addition to the trade threats, Todd C. Chapman, the United States ambassador to Ecuador, suggested in meetings with officials in Quito, the Ecuadorean capital, that the Trump administration might also retaliate by withdrawing the military assistance it has been providing in northern Ecuador, a region wracked by violence spilling across the border from Colombia, according to an Ecuadorean government official who took part in the meeting.

The United States Embassy in Quito declined to make Mr. Chapman available for an interview.

“We were shocked because we didn’t understand how such a small matter like breast-feeding could provoke such a dramatic response,” said the Ecuadorean official, who asked not to be identified because she was afraid of losing her job.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

"Save the Babies"!!!

but only if corporate profits are protected first....

Giggle

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Bob Nelson @1    6 years ago

While eating dinner in a restaurant with my daughter she fed her baby.  A man politely asked her if she could feed her baby in the restroom.  She firmly told him to go eat his dinner in the restroom because "my baby is eating his dinner in the restaurant".  I was really proud of her.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
1.1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  SteevieGee @1.1    6 years ago
She firmly told him to go eat his dinner in the restroom because "my baby is eating his dinner in the restaurant".

Good for her, everyone likes to hear babies nursing while they eat their dinner. LOL

sarc

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.1.1    6 years ago

I hear that "Breast Pumps" and "bottles" were invented a few years ago. This women should try it. It actually works ! Eye Roll

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.1.1    6 years ago
everyone likes to hear babies nursing while they eat their dinner

It's virtually silent, so not sure what "sounds" you're referring to. If you're saying a baby crying, then of course, the parent should either get them to calm down or remove them from the restaurant. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.3    6 years ago

I would rather hear a baby smacking its lips than screaming at the top of its lungs

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.5  Gordy327  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.1.1    6 years ago
Good for her, everyone likes to hear babies nursing while they eat their dinner.

Nursing babies are not that loud. But crying babies are.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.6  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.2    6 years ago
I hear that "Breast Pumps" and "bottles" were invented a few years ago. This women should try it. It actually works !

What's wrong with straight from the tap?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.6    6 years ago
What's wrong with straight from the tap?

Nothing when at home. Anywhere else...well....it would be a "Considerate of others" thingy, especially in a restaurant. Being "Prepared" isn't a hard thing to do, unless your just fucking lazy. I suppose this women just didn't give-a-shit.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1.8  SteevieGee  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.2    6 years ago

So...  She should pump her breasts in the restaurant?  Not my girl.  She got a knitted cap for him that's all flesh toned and has a nipple on top that he can wear while eating.  (I'll give you all a chance to think about that.)

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.9  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.7    6 years ago

Awww, wussamatter?  Does the sight of a boob give you the willies?  Funny thing is that as a bystander you would have to look really hard to catch a glimpse of it.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.10  It Is ME  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1.1.9    6 years ago
Does the sight of a boob give you the willies?

Luv boobs, when it's for me. Do you like watching Grown Men sucking on a boob in public ?

As for this incident, uncouth by the women.

And Liberals hate Trump for what they say is inconsiderate.  laughing dude

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.11  It Is ME  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1.8    6 years ago
She should pump her breasts in the restaurant?

That statement was denser than a solid concrete wall.

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
1.1.12  Old Hermit  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.4    6 years ago
I would rather hear a baby smacking its lips than screaming at the top of its lungs

Loudon Wainwright "Rufus Is A Tit Man"

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.13  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.10    6 years ago
Do you like watching Grown Men sucking on a boob in public ?

What a bizarre comment.  What does it have to do with anything?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.14  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.2    6 years ago

Some women don't let down to the pump as well, and a baby empties a breast more efficiently than a pump in general, which helps to maintain a good supply.

Sorry it bothers you that not all visible boobs are for your pleasure, but I'd have to call that a "you" problem.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.15  It Is ME  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1.1.13    6 years ago
What does it have to do with anything?

Think about it.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.16  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.14    6 years ago

If it flows easy for the baby, it will flow easy using the pump. Been there with my wife with ALL our kids on that. You pump, you date, you freeze for thawing later. It's called creating a "supply" for the "Fun Times" one still wants to have when itty bitty's are involved. It ain't hard.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.17  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.7    6 years ago
Anywhere else...well....it would be a "Considerate of others" thingy, especially in a restaurant.

Sounds like some people have too many hang-ups.

I suppose this women just didn't give-a-shit.

Why do you?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.18  It Is ME  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.17    6 years ago
Sounds like some people have too many hang-ups.

I know....right ?

I have a hang up about people talking on their cell phones loudly in a restaurant. I'm such a bitch huh ! 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.19  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.7    6 years ago
Being "Prepared" isn't a hard thing to do

Well of course she should be prepared, with a baby blanket thrown over the nursing child and exposed boob to be considerate to other customers at the restaurant. But saying she can't nurse quietly, not exposing herself, while enjoying a meal with others is just silly.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.20  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.19    6 years ago
... is just silly.

Exactly.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.21  It Is ME  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.19    6 years ago

Everyone of the members in my family would NEVER consider doing something like that even at our own dinner table, let alone in a public EATING place.

Bottles were a great invention, and still in use today.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.22  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.18    6 years ago
I have a hang up about people talking on their cell phones loudly in a restaurant. I'm such a bitch huh !

You said it, I didn't.

Everyone of the members in my family would NEVER consider doing something like that even at our own dinner table, let alone in a public EATING place.

Well that's YOUR family. What's the big deal?

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
1.1.23  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.2    6 years ago

Nice "mansplaining."  Women really love that (maybe what passes for them in your life actually do). 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.1.24  Skrekk  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1.8    6 years ago
She got a knitted cap for him that's all flesh toned and has a nipple on top that he can wear while eating.

I think I love your daughter!

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.1.25  Skrekk  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.10    6 years ago
As for this incident, uncouth by the women.

I love how much this bothers prudes and Christian extremists.   A real shame that federal law protects the right to nurse your kid at work and virtually all states protect the right to nurse your kid in public, eh?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.26  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.16    6 years ago

I was there, as an actual breastfeeding mother.  Also, please do a little research - this is common knowledge among lactation consultants.  As is nipple confusion - some kids won't take the breast after having a bottle, because a bottle lets milk flow more easily.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.27  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.19    6 years ago

I'm not even too picky about nursing mothers using a blanket.  Some kids won't eat under one, and who can blame them?  It's July, for cryin' out loud.

Once the baby latches on, there's pretty much nothing exposed.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.28  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.21    6 years ago
Bottles were a great invention, and still in use today.

"A recent Harvard University study concluded that roughly 3.3 thousand lives per year would be saved in the USA alone if optimum breastfeeding advice were adopted by mothers.

Some of the scientific claims we have heard about the benefits of breastfeeding suggest you can protect your baby from developing allergies, boost your child's intelligence, protect your child from obesity, reduce your stress level and your risk of postpartum depression and may reduce your risk of some types of cancer.

According to UNICEF in 1999 , if every baby were exclusively breastfed from birth, an estimated 1.5 million lives would be saved globally each year. And not just saved, but enhanced, because breast milk is the perfect food for a baby's first six months of life -- no manufactured product can equal it."

While bottles have been a great invention, there's nothing quite like the real thing. Why begrudge a child their health just because of your personal discomfort? Should we make all American women wear burkas now too because of some mens discomfort with their bare ankles and faces? Women show far more skin at the beach every day of the year in the US then gets shown when a women discreetly breastfeeds her baby.

Junior Participates
1.1.29  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.7    6 years ago
I suppose this women just didn't give-a-shit.

Where your opinion is concerned you couldn't be more right and more power to her.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.30  devangelical  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.2    6 years ago
I hear that "Breast Pumps" and "bottles" were invented a few years ago.

I heard that ball gags predate either by centuries.

Junior Participates
1.1.31  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1.1.13    6 years ago
What does it have to do with anything?

It seems he thinks he's in his shrink's office. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.32  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.28    6 years ago
Should we make all American women wear burkas now too because of some men's discomfort with their bare ankles and faces?

The Pence Rule!

Women show far more skin at the beach every day of the year in the US then gets shown when a women discreetly breastfeeds her baby.

We all love babies. They melt our brains.

Nothing is more brain-melting than a baby greedily going after that good mother's milk!

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1.33  SteevieGee  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.32    6 years ago

Exactly.  Just as I don't care if Muslims are  offended by the sight of a woman's skin, I also don't care if Yosemite Sam is offended by my grandson eating his dinner.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.34  It Is ME  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.28    6 years ago
"A recent Harvard University study concluded that roughly 3.3 thousand lives per year would be saved in the USA alone if optimum breastfeeding advice were adopted by mothers

Breast Milk is breast milk. How it's delivered is a nothing burger of an argument.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.35  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.26    6 years ago
I was there, as an actual breastfeeding mother.

I was right by my wife's side too....Pump, Storing and dating all her breast milk through 3 kids.

Your point ?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.36  It Is ME  replied to  Skrekk @1.1.25    6 years ago
I love how much this bothers prudes

When ya gotta go to the john, just whip it out under the dinner table. After all, it's just a "Natural Thing".

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.37  It Is ME  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @1.1.23    6 years ago
Nice "mansplaining."

Was it ?

It's like YOU know ! LOL

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.38  It Is ME  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.22    6 years ago
You said it, I didn't.

And ?

"Well that's YOUR family."

Just mine ?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1.39  SteevieGee  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.21    6 years ago

Nice family.  /s.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.40  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.34    6 years ago
Breast Milk is breast milk. How it's delivered is a nothing burger of an argument.

"Skin-to-skin contact between mothers and newborns immediately after birth can be used to promote breastfeeding and may give babies a better start in life, according to a new review of existing evidence.

Women who had skin-to-skin contact with their naked babies right after delivery were more likely to breastfeed longer and be breastfeeding months later than women who didn’t have their babies placed on their skin right away, the researchers found."

"When the baby is in skin-to-skin contact with his mother, Bergman says, a natural process unfolds. “It stimulates a specific part of the newborn brain, so that two things happen. The baby will move to the breast, self-attach and feed; and secondly, the baby will open his eyes and gaze at his mother,” he says. The first step (getting milk) allows the baby to continue developing physically, while the second step ensures emotional and social development. “The mother’s body is the baby’s natural habitat, the place where development happens,” he adds."

Again I ask, why are you so hostile towards women and babies that you want to risk their development just to appease your own personal opinions about what is or isn't modest? Why not err on the side of personal freedom?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.41  It Is ME  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1.39    6 years ago

Great Family. WE...practice "consideration's" of each other. "WE" understand not everyone of us is the "Same". We also use the designated restroom when we have to go, and excuse ourselves when we have to leave the dinner table for a few.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.42  It Is ME  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.40    6 years ago
Again I ask, why are you so hostile towards women and babies that you want to risk their development just to appease your own personal opinions about what is or isn't modest?

There's a time and place for EVERYTHING. Why is that so hard to understand ?

Seems "Spoiled Brat" is the way of those that won't understand others not wanting this at their choice of food consumption. Maybe ones that will do anything anywhere, should carry a sign to warn others in the restaurant that they will be "Feeding" ? That should go over well with the owner. laughing dude

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.43  MrFrost  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.18    6 years ago
I'm such a bitch huh !

The proper term is, "snowflake". You seem to be very easily offended. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.44  Trout Giggles  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.43    6 years ago

Breasts are an affront to real family values, didn't you know that?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.45  It Is ME  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.43    6 years ago

Nah...."Bitch" works.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.46  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.35    6 years ago

If you weren't the one producing milk, you're still  mansplaining.  And I doubt you're a lactation consultant, either.  You don't display the knowledge required to be one.  Just personal opinion, which you attempt to pass off as knowledge via mansplaining.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.47  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.41    6 years ago

You found a woman's breasts offensive.  You could have looked away and minded your own, but you chose to get offended, instead.  You think she should have deferred to your discomfort.

I don't like your mansplaining.  By your own standards, you should cease and desist, rather than make people uncomfortable with your inaccurate information and determination to offend.

I await your departure.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.48  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.42    6 years ago

The time for feeding a baby is when the baby is hungry.  The place is wherever baby and baby's food supply are in close proximity.  Else you get to listen to a screaming baby.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.1.49  Skrekk  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.47    6 years ago
You found a woman's breasts offensive.  You could have looked away and minded your own, but you chose to get offended, instead.  You think she should have deferred to your discomfort.

What these Christian extremists really want to do is drop a burqa over the woman and her infant.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.50  devangelical  replied to  Skrekk @1.1.49    6 years ago

It's a terrible inconvenience for some rightwing prudes. Whenever they see something like that, they need to immediately go jerk off.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.51  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.38    6 years ago
Just mine ?

You mentioned YOUR family. Do you speak for other families now?

There's a time and place for EVERYTHING. Why is that so hard to understand ?

Babies usually don't care about things like times and places. When they're hungry, they want to be fed-NOW. 

Seems "Spoiled Brat" is the way of those that won't understand others not wanting this at their choice of food consumption.

So hungry babies are "spoiled brats" now? Nice. Seems not everyone has such a hangup about like you do either.

Maybe ones that will do anything anywhere, should carry a sign to warn others in the restaurant that they will be "Feeding" ? That should go over well with the owner.

And some people probably won't notice or won't care. Only those with a stick up their @ss will.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.52  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.47    6 years ago
You think she should have deferred to your discomfort.

That's the key: Women's behavior is for men's convenience.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.53  sandy-2021492  replied to  Skrekk @1.1.49    6 years ago
What these Christian extremists really want to do is drop a burqa over the woman and her infant.

It seems to me that those who are most keen on forcing women to give birth to babies are also the ones who want those babies to go hungry if they happen to be in public.

Gee, I'm starting to think it's all really about controlling the women.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.54  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.53    6 years ago
Gee, I'm starting to think it's all really about controlling the women.

Oh!    Giggle

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1.55  SteevieGee  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.45    6 years ago

Works for me.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.56  It Is ME  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1.55    6 years ago

thumbs up

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.57  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.46    6 years ago
If you weren't the one producing milk, you're still

Some "Fathers" are more involved than others. Thumbs Up 2

Just "Color Me there" at every one of my wife's moments. angel

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2  Gordy327    6 years ago

Breastfeeding, or the lack of it, is a public health concern. Pregnant or post-partum women should be encouraged to breastfeed and informed about its benefits. Breastfeeding is also free. Granted, some women may not be able to breastfeed for multiple reasons and formula is both an alternative and a supplement. How anyone can be opposed to breastfeeding is beyond me. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Gordy327 @2    6 years ago

Trump's State Department isn't opposed to breastfeeding.

It's just that breastfeeding mothers don't make political contributions - money - like baby-formula manufacturers.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @2    6 years ago

Yeah, but women might go and demand breaks to nurse or pump during the work day, or a place to pump, and we can't have those healthy habits interfering with work, now, can we?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.2.1  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2    6 years ago

Giggle

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2.2  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2    6 years ago

I think you forgot the sarcasm tag. lol

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.2.3  Skrekk  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2    6 years ago
Yeah, but women might go and demand breaks to nurse or pump during the work day, or a place to pump, and we can't have those healthy habits interfering with work, now, can we?

And who gave those infants time off for lunch anyway?   Back to the assembly line!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.2.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @2.2.2    6 years ago

winking

I knew you'd spot it.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.5  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2    6 years ago

I covered for my dispatcher 30 years ago when she pumped at work while her baby was at home. Once she let the installers know why I was helping her, they all took on a combined paternal ownership and ended up making both of our jobs easier. It was an incredible team bonding experience that continued well past the duration of her baby's liquid diet. Thanks Carmela, for letting us be your work family and taking the harsh edge off a daily nightmare job. It's a memory I'll always treasure, along with the other guys, I'm sure.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2.6  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2.4    6 years ago
I knew you'd spot it.

I'm getting better at it.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @2.2.5    6 years ago

That's sweet of you guys to all pitch in and help a nursing mother out. Kudos to you!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.2.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.7    6 years ago
That's sweet of you guys to all pitch in and help a nursing mother out. Kudos to you!

Ditto.

Carmela was a lucky woman, with you guys having her back.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.2.9  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  devangelical @2.2.5    6 years ago

Cool story and bravo to the guys!

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     6 years ago

So the US threatens smaller countries with trade retaliation to protect corporations. How cool is that and here we are whining that China is taking advantage of us. 

But when a big boy (Russia) introduced the bill what did we do..What any school yard bully would do, nothing. 

Gotta protect those corporations. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Kavika @3    6 years ago
So the US threatens smaller countries with trade retaliation to protect corporations. How cool is that and here we are whining that China is taking advantage of us.

It amuses me that Donald's good buddy Vladimir totally hung him out to dry!   thumbs up

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Bob Nelson @3.1    6 years ago
It amuses me that Donald's good buddy Vladimir totally hung him out to dry!

Got a good laugh out of it.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

This is how Trump picks his battles?  Where are all the total fucking morons on this site who blindly fellate Donald Trump on a daily basis?  I want to hear from them about why anything in this article is logical move.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.1  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4    6 years ago
I want to hear from them about why anything in this article is logical move.

Giggle

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

A couple weeks ago my wife and I were walking around downtown.  The sidewalks were quite busy, and we were mindlessly people watching and chatting while we walked.  Up ahead I see a woman with a baby, and my natural instinct was to catch a glimpse of the baby, because I love babies.  Turns out that she was nursing and it didn't even occur to me, because it's not a very common practice in such a bustling environment.  It didn't bother me at all, but the moment I figured out what I was staring at I looked away and happened to lock eyes with her husband.  He seemed to have a look on his face that said "stop staring at my wife's boob."  If there is anything upsetting about breast feeding in public, imo, it's the expectation that everyone will immediately know what you are doing and will pretend you are invisible.  If you can't handle that someone might accidentally see your boob, then go find somewhere a little more private than a busy sidewalk.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5    6 years ago

Cool story... that has probably happened, more or less precisely, to all of us.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.2  Gordy327  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5    6 years ago

If public breastfeeding was more widely practiced, encouraged, or accepted, it wouldn't even be an issue at all. no one would really notice or even care.

Sophomore Guide
5.2.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Gordy327 @5.2    6 years ago

It's time is coming and that agenda will be pushed like all other agendas are. 

Times change, with time.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.2.2  Kavika   replied to  Gordy327 @5.2    6 years ago
no one would really notice or even care.

Except for some of the mental midgets.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.2.3  Gordy327  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @5.2.1    6 years ago
It's time is coming and that agenda will be pushed like all other agendas are.

What agenda? I didn't know the issue of breastfeeding was an agenda.

Times change, with time.

Not all change is bad.

Sophomore Guide
5.2.4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Gordy327 @5.2.3    6 years ago
What agenda? I didn't know the issue of breastfeeding was an agenda.

Not all change is bad.

I agree but I dont care to see people dont much personal things in public. 

I was taught there is a time and a place for such things, and the dinner table wasn't it.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @5.2.3    6 years ago

It was when my kids were born. I was kinda pushed to nurse them. I had difficulties so I went to the bottle. They're fine...except for that little facial tick.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
5.2.6  Skrekk  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @5.2.4    6 years ago
I dont care to see people dont much personal things in public.

It's actually kind of amazing that breastfeeding in public was ever stigmatized here, but not surprising at all that the origins for that stigma are rooted in racism.    In most of the world it's a non-issue and in the US it's only been an issue since WWII.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.2.7  Gordy327  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @5.2.4    6 years ago

Education and promotion about breastfeeding doesn't seem too bad to me.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.2.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @5.2.7    6 years ago

We need to promote it not just for kids.  Breastfeeding helps induce uterine contractions that help stop or slow postpartum bleeding, helps new moms lose the baby weight, and lowers the risk of breast cancer in mothers who nurse.

We should be removing as many obstacles to breastfeeding as we possibly can, and prudery is one of those obstacles.

Junior Participates
5.2.9  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Gordy327 @5.2.7    6 years ago
Education and promotion about breastfeeding doesn't seem too bad to me.

That's because, unlike every piece of goo in the Trumpsewer, you're a human being.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.2.10  Gordy327  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @5.2.9    6 years ago
you're a human being.

Careful, you might get me a reputation, LOL

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.2.11  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.2.8    6 years ago
Breastfeeding helps induce uterine contractions that help stop or slow postpartum bleeding, helps new moms lose the baby weight, and lowers the risk of breast cancer in mothers who nurse.

Not to mention it facilitates infant bonding, immune health, and brain development. There is no downside to it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.2.12  Kavika   replied to  Gordy327 @5.2.11    6 years ago
Not to mention it facilitates infant bonding, immune health, and brain development. There is no downside to it.

Actually there is, the corporations can't make any money that way..../s

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.2.13  Gordy327  replied to  Kavika @5.2.12    6 years ago
Actually there is, the corporations can't make any money that way....

Oh the horror! Why didn't I think of that?

Junior Participates
6  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    6 years ago

Every time we're tempted to think Trumpscum couldn't get any scummier, they jump out to prove us wrong.  Apart from the standard disgusting reasons and tactics used to get its way on this immoral and dangerous (to women and babies especially in 3rd world countries) they did give us some new ammunition to use on two subjects:

1.  More evidence that Putin owns Trumpfuck's stinking ass:

"In the end, the Americans’ efforts were mostly unsuccessful. It was the Russians who ultimately stepped in to introduce the measure — and the Americans did not threaten them."

2. And it turns out that Trumpfucks are pro-choice when it suits: 

"...women should have the choice and access to alternatives for the health..."

These immoral, deplorable, disgusting, soulless, fascist pigs need to be frog-marched en masse off to jail as soon as the get turfed out of office. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7  MrFrost    6 years ago

My x refused to breast feed in public. Not sure why other than she was never very proud of her boobs. Personally it doesn't bother me in the least if a woman pulls out a boob to feed her kid, it's just not a big deal. Hell, since breasts are not considered sexual organs, I think they should be able to go topless just like males do. Though I admit I may be biased.. LOL 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1  Gordy327  replied to  MrFrost @7    6 years ago
it's just not a big deal.

Exactly! Why some people make such a big deal out of nothing is beyond me.