╌>

Jeff Sessions' 'religious liberty task force' part of a dangerous Christian nationalist campaign of discrimination

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  skrekk  •  6 years ago  •  79 comments

Jeff Sessions' 'religious liberty task force' part of a dangerous Christian nationalist campaign of discrimination

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

With the help of politicians like Jeff Session, religious leaders are trying to redefine religious liberty as a tool of discrimination.

In the Trump administration’s latest effort to deliver on promises to its base, Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced a new “religious liberty task force” at the Department of Justice. Sessions made the announcement at a Religious Liberty Summit, which was backed by Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF). But a closer look at what Sessions and groups like the ADF mean when they talk about “religious liberty” makes clear how both religion and freedom are being redefined by this administration to serve an extreme agenda. It’s time for people who care about the future of democratic society to reclaim the concept of religious liberty.

Plenty of Americans still value the separation of church and state and, along with it, the establishment clause’s guarantee of freedom of conscience for all people. Outside the circles of the extreme right, religious liberty has long been a progressive value, celebrated by abolitionists, tax resisters, conscientious objectors and religious minorities alike. So long as an American respects the legal rights of his neighbor, the Constitution promises him the freedom to obey his own conscience when it comes to matters of religious conviction.

But when groups like the ADF talk about religious liberty, they are really talking about liberty for one specific religion — Christianity. In this context, the phrase has become a rallying cry for Christian conservatives whose religious and political interests align around issues like reversing Roe v. Wade and rolling back LGBT protections. Indeed, in their study “Make America Christian Again,” sociologists Andrew Whitehead, Samuel Baker, and Joseph Perry conclude, independent of other influences, Christian nationalism was the single most determinative indicator of support for candidate Donald Trump in the 2016.

Founded in 1994 as the Alliance Defense Fund, the ADF is a legal advocacy and organizing coalition for Christian nationalists that has been aggressive in pushing for a decidedly unequal definition of religious liberty. The ADF believes not only that America was founded as a Christian nation, but also that religious conservatives like themselves must save America from moral decline. Sessions and the Trump administration’s ties to the ADF are well-known — in 2017, Sessions consulted the ADF while drafting new DOJ guidance on how to interpret federal religious liberty protections.

The ADF seems particularly focused on limiting the liberty of LGBT Americans , however. In his 2003 book “The Homosexual Agenda: Exposing the Principle Threat to Religious Freedom Today,” former ADF president Alan Sears accused fellow Americans who advocated for marriage equality of a secret agenda to “lead young men and women into homosexual behavior.” In Sears’ conspiracy theory, gay marriage is part of a larger plot to silence conservative Christians.

This idea that LGBT and other minorities were threatening the rights of the Christian majority gained traction during the decade when marriage equality was winding its way through the federal courts. Painting themselves as victims of an amoral scheme, Christian nationalists have argued that their religious freedom is slowly but surely being curtailed by gay wedding cakes and transgender bathroom bills.

Like Sessions, apparently, Trump has embraced this narrative wholesale. In his declaration celebrating Religious Freedom Day on January 16, 2018 , he wrote that “No American — whether a nun, nurse, baker, or business owner — should be forced to choose between the tenants of faith or adherence to the law.”

In reality, these arguments boil down to one thing: discrimination. It is not enough for Christian nationalists to freely exercise their vision of a good life. In the name of “liberty,” they want the right to discriminate against those with whom they disagree.

As a Christian minister myself, I’m both offended by this abuse of faith and troubled by the lack of moral outrage against it. Whatever our political commitments, the Bible calls Christians to love God by loving our neighbors as we love ourselves. This is why Baptists in colonial America argued against the establishment of religious tests by governing authorities.

In colonial Virginia, John Leland, whose writings on religious liberty influenced Thomas Jefferson and the Constitution, was an abolitionist. Because he knew that the state church was controlled by slaveholders, he insisted that men must have the right to teach the good news of liberty for all people.

As a person of faith, I recognize others’ rights to try to persuade their neighbors to ascribe to their deeply held beliefs. But I cannot remain silent while religious leaders try to redefine religious liberty as a tool of discrimination — and enlist government officials to push this agenda on a federal scale.

Christian nationalists like Jerry Falwell, Jr., Paula White, Robert Jeffress and Franklin Graham are consistently called upon to offer a “religious perspective” on issues of public concern. My own free conscience compels me to call their bluff, and I hope others will join me .

Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove is a Baptist minister in Durham, North Carolina and the author of "Reconstructing the Gospel: Finding Freedom From Slaveholder Religion."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

epistte
Junior Guide
1  epistte    6 years ago

Jeff Sessions has always been a friend of bigotry. 

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
1.1  lennylynx  replied to  epistte @1    6 years ago

Jeff Sessions is a flat out racist, period.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  lennylynx @1.1    6 years ago

And what exactly do you base that on?

A DNC talking point?

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.2  epistte  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    6 years ago
“The NAACP, the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, Operation PUSH and the National Council of Churches were all un-American organizations teaching anti-American values.” 

and this,

“I thought those guys [the Ku Klux Klan] were OK until I learned they smoked pot.”

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @1.1.2    6 years ago

Nice quote. Where is it from, and who said it and when?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.1.4  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.3    6 years ago

Can't follow the thread, eh?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.5  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    6 years ago

We call it sweeping generalizations.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Skrekk @1.1.4    6 years ago
'Can't follow the thread, eh?'

chuckle

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  Ozzwald  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.5    6 years ago
We call it sweeping generalizations.

Generalizations....

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." — Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.8  Jasper2529  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.3    6 years ago
Nice quote. Where is it from, and who said it and when?

Since he hasn't answered you, here's the answer within context . Sessions said them many years ago .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2016/12/02/jeff-sessionss-comments-on-race-for-the-record/?utm_term=.2caa90069417

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.9  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.8    6 years ago
Sessions said them many years ago.

Yes, since then he's learned to be a little less overt with his racism. He prefers to simply support bigoted legislation instead of coming right out and saying he is a fan of the KKK. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.10  Jasper2529  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.9    6 years ago
Yes, since then he's learned to be a little less overt with his racism. He prefers to simply support bigoted legislation instead of coming right out and saying he is a fan of the KKK.

Thank you for your opinion. People do evolve over their lifetimes. Obama and the Clintons changed their views several times and so can Sessions.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.10    6 years ago

Except the bigoted little troll Session has not changed his views.  He's still a bigot.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.9    6 years ago

Think maybe he took lessons from Robert Byrd or Al Gore, Sr.?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.13  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.12    6 years ago
Think maybe he took lessons from Robert Byrd

Has he publicly apologized for his past positions and worked to support civil rights legislation and the voting rights act for decades thus even gaining praise from the NAACP?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.13    6 years ago

You know, attempting to deflect for my question with one or two of your own isn't an answer at all.

If you can't answer, simply say so. no need to ask a bunch of silly questions.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.15  MrFrost  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.8    6 years ago

"What difference does it make?"

😂😂😂😂😂

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.16  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.14    6 years ago
attempting to deflect for my question with one or two of your own isn't an answer at all.

It is when you're inferring that there is no difference between Sessions and Byrd when it comes to their past infatuation with the KKK. Bryd made several public apologies and then spent his legislative career working FOR civil rights. Sessions has stopped openly admiring the KKK but continued to push policies that supported discrimination for decades. During his confirmation hearing for a judgeship he had been offered by the Reagan administration, Gerry Hebert, then a trial attorney in the Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division, who worked frequently with Sessions, testified that he told Sessions that a judge had called a white lawyer a “disgrace to his race” because he represented black clients. “Well, maybe he is,” Sessions allegedly responded. Sessions did not deny that he made a comment similar to the one alleged about the lawyer being “a disgrace to his race.”

Sessions' longtime assistant, Thomas Figures, who was black, testified that Sessions repeatedly referred to him as “boy” and said the senator talked about groups like the NAACP being “un-American” and “forc[ing] civil rights down the throats of people.”.

“The NAACP and other civil rights organizations, when they leave the basic discriminatory questions and start getting into matters such as foreign policy and things of that nature and other political issues and that is probably something I should not have said, but I really did not mean any harm by it,” he said. He also said he liked to stop by Figures' desk and “philosophize.”.

Yeah, he "philosophized" alright, about why he couldn't be an open racist and just act the way his prejudiced Keebler elf heart really felt.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.16    6 years ago

Lots of words.

Still no answer.

you ARE the master deflector!

Congrats.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.18  Jasper2529  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.15    6 years ago
"What difference does it make?"

I see that you're out for another stroll in my neighborhood. Have a good time. Click.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.1.19  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.16    6 years ago
Sessions has stopped openly admiring the KKK but continued to push policies that supported discrimination for decades.

Given his open opposition to public accommodations laws and the Voting Rights Act, I can guarantee that Sessions will never win any awards from the NAACP, ACLU or any other civil rights group.

Heck, he even works for the white supremacist King of the Birthers.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
1.1.20  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.17    6 years ago
you ARE the master deflector!

Better than being the master debater. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.21  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @1.1.20    6 years ago

Is that what you aspire to be?

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.22  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.11    6 years ago
Except the bigoted little troll Session has not changed his views.

So  maybe Obama and Hillary still believe marriage is between a man and a woman. Possibly they changed their tune when it was politically expedient, but really harbor their hatred toward gays?

Like you, I have no proof of such, so I guess they can be considered bigots too, huh?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.23  MrFrost  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.18    6 years ago
Click.

???????????

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.24  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.17    6 years ago

I answered your original question:

"Think maybe he took lessons from Robert Byrd or Al Gore, Sr.?"

The answer was "no" made obvious by the fact that Sessions hasn't publicly apologized for his past admiration for white supremacists and the KKK. Session didn't spend decades in the legislature supporting equal rights, protecting the civil rights act and voting rights act, in fact it was just the opposite. This isn't a deflection, it's a fact. The differences between the deceased repetitively repentive Byrd and the perpetually prejudiced Sessions could not be more pronounced. You're trying to excuse a Republicans actions, Trump pick for AG, by pointing to someone else's bad past actions, that means you've already lost the debate.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.25  Tessylo  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.24    6 years ago

applause

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.26  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.24    6 years ago

You never wrote "no" until right now,

Thanks for FINALLY answering something after your other posts didn't.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.27  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.7    6 years ago

You beat me to it.  He really has no clue what it means, has he?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2  MrFrost    6 years ago

Excellent article, thanks for this! 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @2    6 years ago

What was good about it?  Nothing.  

Junior Participates
2.1.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    6 years ago
What was good about it?  Nothing.

Good because it exposes the ruse of trying to use a phony claim of religious persecution to set the government on a path of establishing religion--specifically in helping to propagate the bogus claim that religious freedom is threatened by not allowing people to use their religious prejudices to discriminate.  If this sounds familiar it was how whites used religious belief to justify slavery this country.  

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.1.2  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.1.1    6 years ago
If this sounds familiar it was how whites used religious belief to justify slavery this country.

In fact Sessions recently cited the same bible-babble passage which his fellow white supremacists once used to justify slavery, but this time he used it to justify Trump's xenophobic plot to separate refugee children from their refugee parents.    What a clueless and racist asshole!

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2  bugsy  replied to  MrFrost @2    6 years ago

Actually, it had no value.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.2.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  bugsy @2.2    6 years ago
it had no value

... to those continually using "religious liberty" to obfuscate their indoctrinated prejudices and hate.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.2  bugsy  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.2.1    6 years ago

Show me where I have ever posted something...ANYTHING about religion. ( deleted )

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.2.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  bugsy @2.2.2    6 years ago
Show me where I have ever posted something...ANYTHING about religion

Well the article we're discussing talks about it in detail, so I guess,

it had no value... to those continually using "religious liberty" to obfuscate their indoctrinated prejudices and hate, and you for no reason.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
3  Phoenyx13    6 years ago

In reality, these arguments boil down to one thing: discrimination. It is not enough for Christian nationalists to freely exercise their vision of a good life. In the name of “liberty,” they want the right to discriminate against those with whom they disagree.

this seems to be true of many of the religious, including quite a few who post here on NT - it seems they wish to have legalized discrimination without realizing long term consequences of such actions 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     6 years ago

Great article. 

But I cannot remain silent while religious leaders try to redefine religious liberty as a tool of discrimination — and enlist government officials to push this agenda on a federal scale.

That is as plain as one can make it. And it's true. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
5  seeder  Skrekk    6 years ago

In related news the Trump regime has abandoned the traditional US support for basic human rights overseas and is now endorsing the persecution of minorities when Christian superstitions are used as an excuse.

During the State Department’s Ministerial on International Religious Freedom last week, Mick Mulvaney — President Trump’s Director of the Office of Management and Budget — suggested that the Trump administration would end the practice of punishing African countries for their laws that criminalize homosexuality.

“Our US taxpayer dollars are used to discourage Christian values in other democratic countries,” he said during his remarks to the conference. “It was stunning to me that my government under a previous administration would go to folks in sub-Saharan Africa and say, ‘We know that you have a law against abortion, but if you enforce that law, you’re not going to get any of our money. We know you have a law against gay marriage, but if you enforce that law, we’re not going to give you any money.’ That is a different type of religious persecution that I never expected to see.”

“I never expected to see that as an American Christian,” he added. “There are a lot of people in this government who just want to see things done differently.”

Mulvaney’s portrayal of punishing people over their marriage laws is either intentionally deceptive or unintentionally ignorant. It’s true that the Obama administration responded to homophobic laws across Africa by threatening to withhold aid to countries that enforced them, but that policy was never about laws not recognizing the right for same-sex couples to marry. It was a response to laws on the books in several dozen African countries that criminalize homosexuality itself — putting people in jail just because they were gay, or even just because they were suspected of being gay.

For example, Ugandan lawmakers for many years juggled legislation that would have increased the punishment for homosexuality to the death penalty. Many called it simply the “kill the gays” bill. Ultimately, they passed a law that instead offered life sentences as punishment, though the country’s highest court overturned it . Lawmakers, however, did not give up on the idea of passing another draconian law, but the threat from many other countries, including the U.S., to cut aid appears to have been a deterrent , although anti-gay persecution has continued in Uganda .

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6  Jeremy Retired in NC    6 years ago
religious leaders are trying to redefine religious liberty as a tool of discrimination

We've seen it with the baker that wouldn't bake a cake for a gay couple and the Davis shit stain that refused to issue marriage licenses to gays and few other instances that I'm sure I'm forgetting right now.

Ender
Professor Principal
7  Ender    6 years ago

I read an article where Sessions was saying that they are going to use this as a guide on how they will operate on prosecutions and what they will or will not defend.

Would that not be picking and choosing winners and losers? I call that selectively using the law to their own advantage.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
7.1  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  Ender @7    6 years ago

It's also unconstitutionally extending privileges to particular superstitious groups, a rather clear violation of the Establishment clause.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @7    6 years ago

Every Administration picks and chooses how to enforce laws.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
7.2.1  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2    6 years ago
Every Administration picks and chooses how to enforce laws.

The Trump regime seems determined to ignore the Establishment Clause.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @7.2.1    6 years ago

seems appears maybes could

speculation.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
7.2.3  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.2    6 years ago

Here's a better pic of the "Religious Liberty Task Force" which Jeff Sessions organized:

DjXUJoVX0AEbead.jpg

JBB
Professor Principal
7.2.4  JBB  replied to  Skrekk @7.2.3    6 years ago

"Freedumb On Parade". The Trumpsters want their country back. The Confederate States of America...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @7.2.3    6 years ago

Wow. look at all those Democrats under the hoods!

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.2.6  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.5    6 years ago

I see Robert Byrd and Al Gore in that photo.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @7.2.6    6 years ago

LOL

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.2.8  MrFrost  replied to  Skrekk @7.2.3    6 years ago

"I thought the kkk was a great organization until I found out they smoked pot."

--- AG Jeff Sessions. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.2.9  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.5    6 years ago
Wow. look at all those Democrats under the hoods!

You sure? The kkk supports trump, David Duke ring a bell? Also, you sure the KKK voted for Obama? LMFAO!!!!!!!!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.10  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @7.2.9    6 years ago

David Duke left the Klan in 1980.

Pay attention and try to keep up.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
7.2.11  arkpdx  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.10    6 years ago

Only those that appear to be on their side are allowed to renounce their membership in the Klan. Anyone they don't like is a member for eternity regardless of their actions. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.2.12  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.10    6 years ago

Still a trump supporter! 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.13  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @7.2.12    6 years ago

So the fuck what?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.2.14  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.10    6 years ago

So the KKK voted for Obama?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.15  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @7.2.14    6 years ago

Now, how in hell would I know who voted for who?

You realize ballots are private, right?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.2.16  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.15    6 years ago
Now, how in hell would I know who voted for who?

Well, you said they were democrats under the sheets... Wouldn't democrats typically vote for a democrat president? 

See what happens when you make false statements? You make yourself look foolish. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.17  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @7.2.16    6 years ago

Democrats are the founders of the KKK.

be proud!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.2.18  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.17    6 years ago
Democrats are the founders of the KKK.

Um, yea, they were DIXICRATS and that was 180 years ago. By today's standards Lincoln would be a far left wing liberal. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.19  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @7.2.18    6 years ago

Man, that must be one HELL of a trick.

The KKK was founded in 1865.

Dixiecrats were formed in 1948.

Like I said, one HELL of a trick for Dixiecrats to form the KKK in 1865 when they simply didn't exist then.

SMMFH!

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
8  seeder  Skrekk    6 years ago

Media Matters has two excellent articles on this topic, the first showing the ties between Jeff Sessions, Mike Pence and the ADF anti-LGBT hate group.    Perhaps the most shocking thing is that Sessions has actually hired at least one of the hate group's attorneys to work in the DOJ, Kerri Kupec.    It's like the DOJ hiring the KKK's attorney.

The next links detail the extent of  the ADF hate group's anti-LGBT agenda, including their efforts to re-criminalize homosexuality both here and abroad.    These are some pretty twisted and immoral theocratic fucks:

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
8.1  arkpdx  replied to  Skrekk @8    6 years ago

Media matters?  Really? You could try something from someone with at last some credibility? 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
8.1.1  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  arkpdx @8.1    6 years ago

Sounds like you'll need to get your fake news from Fox or even directly from the ADF hate group.    Or you can just have the Russians tell you what to think.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
8.1.2  arkpdx  replied to  Skrekk @8.1.1    6 years ago

Any and all the sources you named would still be more valid and less biased than media matters. Oh and I am not a liberal so I don't need anyone to tell me how tothink

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
8.1.3  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  arkpdx @8.1.2    6 years ago
Any and all the sources you named would still be more valid and less biased than media matters.

Ummmm.......what bias or inaccuracy?    They merely documented the ADF hate group's words and deeds.   Do you dispute those or are you merely carrying water for an anti-LGBT hate group?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  Skrekk @8.1.1    6 years ago

The ADF is a great group of good people.  It’s the SPLC that is a hate group that triggered a domestic terrorist to attack the ADF HQ.  

JBB
Professor Principal
8.1.5  JBB  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1.4    6 years ago
 It’s the SPLC that is a hate group

I must call "BULLSHIT" on that utterly false statement. The SPLC identifies hate groups. Deal with it...

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
8.1.6  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1.4    6 years ago
The ADF is a great group of good people.

As our Bigot-in-Chief said, they're "Very fine people."

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9  JohnRussell    6 years ago

I like the meme used as the seed icon. Very telling. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
10  seeder  Skrekk    6 years ago

Sessions' religious liberty task force panned by civil rights groups, LGBTQ advocates

There is little precedent in modern history for Sessions' task force, presidential historian Allan Lichtman said.
Civil rights groups and LGBTQ advocates on Tuesday tore into the Department of Justice's newly formed " religious liberty task force, " slamming the move as a discriminatory affront to civil liberties masquerading as protections for people of faith.
"This task force's agenda isn’t consistent with religious freedom. Religious freedom protects our right to our beliefs, not a right to discriminate or harm others," Louise Melling, a deputy legal director with the American Civil Liberties Union, told NBC News in a statement. "Jeff Sessions' Department of Justice is again turning that understanding of religious freedom on its head."

Melling added that the agency's guidance "encourages private groups to discriminate with government funds."

Following a speech Monday in which Attorney General Jeff Sessions said a special Justice Department detail was necessary to confront a growing cultural and political threat to the free practice of religion, supporters praised the effort as evidence that the Trump White House was making good on campaign promises to protect Christians . But detractors, including the ACLU, maintained that women, religious minorities and members of the LGBTQ community are the ones whose freedoms are under attack.

The task force will implement and enforce legal guidance the DOJ had previously provided regarding how to best apply religious liberty protections in federal law, Sessions said Monday at a religious freedom forum that the DOJ had convened. He painted a picture of a country suffering amid a "changing cultural climate," with religious people of all faiths under fire from the federal government.

“A dangerous movement, undetected by many, is now challenging and eroding our great tradition of religious freedom,” he said. “There can be no doubt. This is no little matter. It must be confronted and defeated.”[..]

As examples of what outcomes the task force would promote, Sessions cited “the ordeal faced so bravely by Jack Phillips” — a reference to the Colorado baker whom the Supreme Court ruled this year could not be forced to make a cake for a same-sex wedding , and the settling of 24 civil cases by the Justice Department regarding the Obama administration’s application of the contraception mandate under the Affordable Care Act to religious employers.[..]

GLAAD president Sarah Kate Ellis said that the development exposed the "Trump administration’s anti-LGBTQ agenda as they seek to weave protections for those seeking anti-LGBTQ religious exemptions into the government."

"Though freedom of religion is a core American value, religious exemptions from adhering to nondiscrimination protections are not," she said. [..]

There is little precedent in modern history for Sessions' task force, the presidential historian Allan Lichtman told NBC News, with the only similar example being George W. Bush's creation of the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives.

“Critics at the time regarded this as a breach of the separation of church and state and a mingling of politics and religion,” Lichtman said in an interview. He added that Sessions’ move was nevertheless groundbreaking.

“While this kind of position on the right, that our society is being polluted by secularism and Christianity needs to be defended, is long-established, what Sessions has done is something new in establishing this right within the Department of Justice," Lichtman said.

LOL......sounds like Sessions is having the same heartburn as when the civil rights of black folks were enforced through the 1964 Civil Rights Act.    How unfair that a racist Southern Baptist and BBQ restaurant owner couldn't deny service to blacks, or a racist Southern Baptist baker deny service to mixed-race couples!   Such an infringement of religious liberty!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.1  Tessylo  replied to  Skrekk @10    6 years ago

"Like Sessions, apparently, Trump has embraced this narrative wholesale. In his declaration  celebrating Religious Freedom Day on January 16, 2018 , he wrote that “No American — whether a nun, nurse, baker, or business owner — should be forced to choose between the tenants of faith or adherence to the law.”

Isn't that 'tenets'?  dumbfucks.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
11  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

Reminds me of Kagan talking about how the first amendment (which includes the free excercise there of of religious beliefs) is being weaponized when it is used to defend conservatives instead of traditional liberal causes.  

Junior Participates
11.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XXJefferson51 @11    6 years ago
which includes the free excercise there of of religious beliefs

Slavery was one of those beliefs that religion was used to justify, too.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
11.2  MrFrost  replied to  XXJefferson51 @11    6 years ago

You are partially correct. Religious freedom cannot violate someone else's civil rights. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
11.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  XXJefferson51 @11    6 years ago

Much like the supreme court ruled that 2nd amendment rights are not unlimited, they also ruled that religious freedom rights are not unlimited. You cannot use your supposed "religious freedom" rights to impose on someone else's religious freedom. If your religion believes in human sacrifice, obviously religious freedom doesn't include kidnapping someone and murdering them. The same is true for using it to justify slavery (as it once was justified by many Christians, especially the Southern Baptists) and segregation and the bans on interracial marriage, all defended by people claiming religious freedom rights but whose argument was shot down by the courts.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
12  seeder  Skrekk    6 years ago

The diarrhea flows so swiftly from the Trump regime that even the Daily Show can't keep up with it, not even the truly bizarre stuff.   So they're a week late in ridiculing the " Religious Liberty Task Force " but they finally got around to it: