╌>

What is your favorite flower?

Category:  Other

By:  kathleen  •  6 years ago  •  76 comments

What is your favorite flower?

Hello all...

I thought we could take a break for a bit and talk about our favorite lovely bloom.

Mine would be the Oriental Lily.

I love the look and the smell, they give off a nutmeg scent.  I keep a vase of them in my kitchen and sun room.

Tell us what you would pick.

Please, try to stay on topic, no politics or religion. Friendly conversation is welcome. Be polite.  Thank you. : )

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

During teenage days when I took a date to a formal affair, the orchid corsage was the most desirable (and expensive) flower to give, and I've been fascinated by their variety ever since then.

orchidmaniaimage2017.jpg

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    6 years ago

Buzz, I remember those days. You convinced me. I'm voting with you!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
5  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

I'm a tulip person. I love the array of colors. My second choice would be hydrangeas. 

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
5.2  JaneDoe  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5    6 years ago
My second choice would be hydrangeas. 

Those are one of my favorites too. Mine did really well this year.

C0A1B9AD3E6D4D9B8A4ED0B8E0B74C6B.jpeg

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
5.2.2  JaneDoe  replied to  Kathleen @5.2.1    6 years ago

When I first planted it, it was blue. You have to use miracid to keep it blue.

I like the pinks and purples better.

epistte
Junior Guide
5.2.4  epistte  replied to  JaneDoe @5.2.2    6 years ago

Epsom salts also work to change the color. 

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
5.2.5  JaneDoe  replied to  epistte @5.2.4    6 years ago

Thank you for the information. I will look into that.

epistte
Junior Guide
5.2.6  epistte  replied to  JaneDoe @5.2.5    6 years ago
Thank you for the information. I will look into that.

I learned that trick from my grandmother and her neighbor who were dedicated gardeners. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     6 years ago

Day Lilly's are one of my favorites. 

IMG_1001.JPG  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @6    6 years ago

I like day lilies, too. Unfortunately, so do the deer

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     6 years ago

photo 78.JPG Another favorite of mine is the ''Indian Blanket''....Both the Day Lilly's and the Indian Blanket are growing in my yard/gardens.

A rose by any other name....Also growing in my garden.

photo 50.JPG

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.2  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @8    6 years ago
Another favorite of mine is the ''Indian Blanket''....Both the Day Lilly's and the Indian Blanket are growing in my yard/gardens.

Kavika-- what is the name of the Red flower (the top picture in Comment #8)? I don't think I had ever seen it before-- but just saw one for the first time-- about 2 weeks ago! I examined it thoroughly-- I recognize the Green leaves because they have those unusual Red veins. Also there are what look miniature "thorns" on the leaves in that picture, which were on the flower I had seen-- also things that look like tiny thorns in the stems. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.2.1  Kavika   replied to  Krishna @8.2    6 years ago

The top flower in the photo is a ''breakout rose''...Very sturdy and can withstand most diseases that affect roses.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.3  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @8    6 years ago
Another favorite of mine is the ''Indian Blanket''

When I was a kid I spend a summer in the moutains near the Canadian border (very cool climate).. I remember a wild flower that was called the "Indian Paintbrush".Is that another name for the "Indian Blanket"? IIRC it was all red and much smaller than the one in the picture you posted.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.3.2  Kavika   replied to  Krishna @8.3    6 years ago

Those are two different flowers Krish.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.3.3  Krishna  replied to    6 years ago
Indian Paintbrush is a low and showy wildflower-- Castelleja coccinea, not easy for the home landscape or garden, fussy about growing conditions, but fun to come upon on a hike.

Yes, that's the one (your bottom picture). As a kid I was at a summer camp in the woods high in the Adirondack Mtns. There was a grassy clearing which we used for softball. There was an occasional Indian Paintbrush-- they stood out because of their red colour. (Another yellow flower was actually more common-- the common Dandelion!). 

We did a lot of hiking in the woods. I also remember two other flowers (weeds)-- Queen Anne's Lace:

QueenAnnesLaceFlower.jpg

And Milkweed (seed pod):

milkweed.jpg

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.3.4  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @8.3.2    6 years ago

Those are two different flowers Krish.

Thanks.

Just came across WallyW's post with comparison pictures).

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
8.3.5  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Krishna @8.3.3    6 years ago

We had these by what seemed like the millions where I grew up but I haven't seen one in decades.

Thanks for sharing it !  

pat wilson
Professor Participates
8.3.6  pat wilson  replied to  Krishna @8.3.3    6 years ago

I grew up in the mid-west and Queen Ann's Lace was indeed a weed. As kids we would put them in jars of colored water and wait for the heads to turn color. Out here in California they are cultivated in flower beds and sold in florist shops ! Go figure.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.3.8  Krishna  replied to  Kathleen @8.3.7    6 years ago

Butterflies are attracted to Milkweed.

Interesting you should mention that! Because AMac just posted a really interesting article about Butterflies-- one of the things that was mentioned in the discussion was the important role Milkweed plays for the Monarch Butterflies!

Interesting discussion--it HERE.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
9  Enoch    6 years ago

Dear Friend Kathleen/Butterfie: Every spring we look forward to our Violets blooming.

They are harbingers of other beauty coming forth from the earth as the weather warms. 

While I was courting Mrs. E., my pet name for her is this.

Perech ha midbar sheli".

That is Hebrew for "My flower in the wilderness".

Peace, Abundant Blessings; and May All Find Their Flower in the Wilderness of Life. 

Enoch.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
10  Split Personality    6 years ago

I have a variety of bromeliads and orchids which we keep outside for most of the year -  we bring them in before frost.

The bromeliad flowers last 3 to 6 months after which the plant begins to die, but sprouts babies (pups) underneath.

Even more amazing, they are essentially air plants requiring little to no soils and typically grow in trees in the wild.

proxy.jpg thomasmarenttropicalrainforestwithafloweringbromeliadsanciprianoreservecaucacolombia_aG900318814258389.jpg tropicalbromeliadsguzmaniawendy.jpg

Split Personality
Professor Guide
10.2  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @10    6 years ago

We have six or seven orchids, all of which bloom every 6 months so there's always some color in the house

but they do not like AC or low humidity so we keep them outside as long as possible.  They still bloom inside but the flowers wont last unless they are in a warm humid place.

182.JPG 1019.JPG 1021.JPG

MrFrost
Professor Guide
10.2.1  MrFrost  replied to  Split Personality @10.2    6 years ago

My mother had a knack for growing orchids, they are hard to grow. I have tried several times but never have had much success. 

MrFrost
Professor Guide
11  MrFrost    6 years ago

Favorite flower... Tough one. When it comes to flowers, I like simple, easy to maintain and durable. 

One of my favorites? Hawaiian Blue Ageratum.. AKA Floss Flowers

0ab6f7fbd6a67d9d66e489ea2a1b932e.jpg

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
12  lennylynx    6 years ago

You.  You are my favorite flower Butterfies.  And it's not just the beer talking either...well, maybe just a little bit! Happy

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
13  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Favorite flower, hmmm?

Nope, not a single, but a few in order of bloom.

1. Crocus, best enjoyed when there is still a little frost, ice or snow on the ground.

2. Magnolias, very early spring and again very early summer

3. "Evergreen Azaleas". When I planted them, they had a different name. For me, they tend to bloom between the two Magnolia blooms, but somewhat cross over the early summer Magnolia bloom.

4. A flower my grandfather created from his own hybrid experiments. I can't remember what it originated from. When my mother sold my grandparents place, she gave me the flowers and named them after my daughter.

Krishna
Professor Expert
13.1  Krishna  replied to  dave-2693993 @13    6 years ago
2. Magnolias, very early spring and again very early summer 3. "Evergreen Azaleas". When I planted them, they had a different name. For me, they tend to bloom between the two Magnolia blooms, but somewhat cross over the early summer Magnolia bloom.

I've experienced spring in parts of Virginia and N. Carolina--amazing! The time when the Azaleas are in bloom. (and then there are the Magnolias, Red Buds...and the amazing scent of Honeysuckle!)

Ender
Professor Principal
14  Ender    6 years ago

I would pick one for sentimental reason. I always called it a spider flower. When I was a teenager I went to live with my Grandparents. Across from their house was a field. It was their house, the field, then the beach. Every year these would pop up all over the field. You would not even know they were there until the stalks with the blooms popped up.

513UcTfeEDL._SX425_.jpg

100367981.jpg.rendition.largest.ss.jpg

devangelical
Professor Principal
15  devangelical    6 years ago
See the source image

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
15.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  devangelical @15    6 years ago

White Widow Flower 

th.jpg

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
17  Paula Bartholomew    6 years ago

I love carnations.  The pink and white ones are my favorite.

Krishna
Professor Expert
17.2  Krishna  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @17    6 years ago

And I've heard that the Pink ones look especially great with a white sport coat! :-)

Krishna
Professor Expert
17.2.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @17.2    6 years ago

And I've heard that the Pink ones look especially great with a white sport coat!

charger 383
Professor Silent
18  charger 383    6 years ago

Sunflowers

TᵢG
Professor Principal
19  TᵢG    6 years ago

I prefer orchids.   But that is in part because my wife prefers orchids.  Winking 2

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
20  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

Mr Giggles planted lily trees along the deck in back. They have the most wonderful scent and these things are taking off! They multiply so what started as 3 plants a couple of years ago and now turned into about 10.

He's also planted some on the other side of the deck. If my butterfly bushes would bloom at the same time as the lily trees we would be surrounded in smell during summer