╌>

Nature's Symphony - What's Your Favourite Sound?

Category:  Other

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  6 years ago  •  59 comments

"The earth has music for those who listen." (Santayana? not Shakespeare)

lightning.jpg

The numerous sounds of nature vary from the crack of thunder overhead to the patter of raindrops on a pool, from the howling wind of a hurricane to the almost imperceptible flutter of a hummingbird's wings, from the warble and yodel of a loon echoing down a lake to the tat-tat-tat of a woodbecker, from the soft slapping of waves on a shore to their wind-driven crash on a rocky seawall, from the buzzing of a honeybee to the howl of a wolf, from the gurgling of a flowing stream to the roar of a great waterfall, from the ebb and flow of the summer cicadas in the trees to the croak of a bullfrog, from the rustle of leaves from an approaching storm to a cricket's chirp, and more and more and more....an endless list, a cacophany of sounds, or what seems to be in contrast, an eerie silence.

Personally, I enjoy listening to a thunderstorm, approaching - from a rumble following long after a distant flash of skylight, and as it nears, a deafening thunderclap simultaneous with a nearby bolt of lightning and then passing on. It makes me think of Beethoven. I loved the early morning distant loon calls echoing through the mist from down the lake, the calming sound of waves slapping on the shore and the rustle of Poplar leaves turning over to show their shiny side as a storm approaches.

The sound of the Amazon rain forest:

We differ in what we may find soothing, or disturbing, but there are sounds that we may find restful and others awaken thoughts and memories. What sounds of nature are ones that please you, that you like to hear, and what effect do they have on you?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

For some, this might be their favourite sound.....

If that didn't work, try this:

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    6 years ago

I spent years at McMurdo Station, Antarctica for 6 months out of the year. I would lay awake in bed at night listening to the howling of the wind outside. Antarctica  is  actually the coldest, windiest, driest place on Earth. All buildings there are built up off the ground and the wind literally roars over, under, and around the structures giving a very uniques sound that I found strangely relaxing just knowing I was enveloped by the sheer force of nature that could not be fought or tamed, just accepted and endured.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1    6 years ago

Forgot to mention above that many times I listened to Vangelis's Antarctica soundtrack to the Japanese film of the same name. This music eerily conveys the mood of angst and desolation of being in Antarctica. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.1    6 years ago

Did you fly out of New Zealand, Doc?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @1.1.2    6 years ago

Yes we did. Our forward support base was in Christchurch on the South Island.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Kavika   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.3    6 years ago

I figured it was. I spent a lot of time in NZ in the late 80's, 90's and early 2000...I had an office in Christchurch.....Great city, loved the Brits with their walking shorts and tall socks...

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @1.1.4    6 years ago

I personally enjoyed punting the Avon!

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Kavika   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.5    6 years ago

OMG, I totally forgot about that...A very cool ride on river.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @1.1.6    6 years ago

Yep.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
2  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

Love the sound of the ocean since t is so peaceful and rain drops on the window which makes me feel cozy, even in the summer.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    6 years ago

I know exactly how you feel - I've always had an affinity to being beside a large body of water - in my case Lake Ontario, and the ocean when I travelled. One of my best friends and I once toyed with the idea of buying the small Edgewater Hotel in Barbados, which my ex-wife and I saw when we explored the island on our honeymoon. I was transfixed by the crashing of the waves on the rocks below the hotel.

zuksam
Junior Silent
2.2  zuksam  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    6 years ago

I love the sound of waves breaking on a beach. One beach in particular that I like is covered with small boulders from Grapefruit to Cantaloupe size and as the waves come in the rocks bang against each other just under the waves making this deep knocking rumble. The best thing is that the waves never come straight in, they come in at an angle so the rumble sound goes from left to right and has this great Stereo effect.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
3  Enoch    6 years ago

Dear Friend Buzz: The sound of the wind rustling through trees, leaves etc.

I like to commune with nature on hikes and climbs in forests with inclines. 

When the wind picks up, you can hear the vegetation being rustled by the breeze.

Great topic.

We often get too far from nature.

Discussions like this remind us to return to our roots.

Peace and Abundant Blessings.

Enoch.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1  pat wilson  replied to  Enoch @3    6 years ago
I like to commune with nature on hikes and climbs in forests with inclines. 

When the wind picks up, you can hear the vegetation being rustled by the breeze.

I do too. Three years ago I was high up the slope of a local mountain. I too heard the rustle of the breeze that you speak of. It was beautiful. Also at this time I realized that the ground beneath my feet was not solid. This was eerie but my companion and I adjusted to it. And we made it back down the mountain without incident.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
3.1.1  Enoch  replied to  pat wilson @3.1    6 years ago

Dear Friend Pat Wilson: There is a certain sense of peace, calm and serenity when ascending a mountain.

The majestic view at the top makes it all worth the effort.

Ever have a picnic lunch atop a mountain you just climbed?

Wonderful experience.

One of the names for G-d in Hebrew literature is El Shadai (The Mountain G-d).

"I lift up my eyes unto the mountains from where my help will come.  My help will come from the G-d who made the heavens and the earth".

The idea of ascending physical elevation to uplift the spirit is all over world literature.

Here is to keeping up all our spirits, in what ever way nature stirs us.

Peace and Abundant Blessings Always.

E.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  author  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

LOL. Was this meant to be a pun?

"Discussions like this remind us to return to our roots."

The rustling of the leaves, as they turned over to show their shiny side, on the tall poplar trees beside my grandmother's cottage on Burlington Bay, at the western end of Lake Ontario, as the wind picked up announcing the imminent arrival of a thunderstorm, causing the waves to start lapping on the shore, about 20 feet from the screened-in porch where I soaked in the sights, sounds and feelings - I wish I could return to that unforgettable experience, just for an hour.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
4.1  Enoch  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    6 years ago

Dear Friend Buzz: No, I had not thought of it that way.

Good on you.

Smiles.

E.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

Thunderstorm... as long as I'm warm and dry...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @5    6 years ago

Of course. At our lakeside chalet we had a big velux window right over our bed, and we loved to watch and listen to thunderstorms especially at night there.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Bob Nelson @5    6 years ago

I like those as well but, they always put me in the mood to sleep, best nights sleep I have is when it's raining outside.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
5.2.1  Enoch  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2    6 years ago

Dear Friend Marvin Galen Ross: Me too.

The pitter patter of raindrops on the roof relaxes me.

I fall right asleep.

When I wake up, if I am lucky, it is is time to see a rainbow. 

Enoch.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.2.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2    6 years ago
they always put me in the mood to sleep

Thick, heavy quilt... up around the ears...

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.3  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Enoch @5.2.1    6 years ago

For all those who love the rain,

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.4  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.2.2    6 years ago

LOL

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.3  cjcold  replied to  Bob Nelson @5    6 years ago

Nothing like a high quality tent in a snow storm. The pitter-patter of wind driven snowflakes is hypnotizing.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Ocean waves, morning whipoorwill, silence of snow fall.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
6.1  Enoch  replied to  dave-2693993 @6    6 years ago

Dear Friend Dave: Birds chirping is another form of natural music I too favor.

When our daughter was growing up, a Momma Cardinal build a nest on a gutter drain pipe outside one of our bathrooms.

My daughter would wake me at sunrise so we could watch the Momma bird feed her chirping chicks in the nest as we watched the sunrise. 

A cherished memory for sure.

Enoch.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Enoch @6.1    6 years ago

Could that be called interfaith appreciation?

Enoch
Masters Quiet
6.1.2  Enoch  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.1    6 years ago

Dear Friend Buzz: I guess so.

Keen interpretation.

Thanks.

E.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.3  dave-2693993  replied to  Enoch @6.1    6 years ago

That is a very nice story Enoch.

Thank you.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dave-2693993 @6    6 years ago
"silence of snow fall"?

The Sound of Silence.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.2.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2    6 years ago

I can't help myself,

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.2.1    6 years ago

Check my first comment - I beat you to it.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.2.3  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.2    6 years ago

LOL, great minds?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.3  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  dave-2693993 @6    6 years ago

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.3.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.3    6 years ago
Whip-poor-will Song

Great melody... but the lyrics are kinda repetitive...   confused

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.3.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.3.1    6 years ago
Great melody... but the lyrics are kinda repetitive...

Well, my understanding from the Whippoorwill community is that they don't have a very large vocabulary.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.4  cjcold  replied to  dave-2693993 @6    6 years ago

Ocean waves on sand

Morning whippoorwill seems sad

Silence of snowfall

Now it is haiku

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.4.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  cjcold @6.4    6 years ago

A perfect haiku - correct beats, proper topic.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.4.2  dave-2693993  replied to  cjcold @6.4    6 years ago

Thank you.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     6 years ago

Most all sounds of nature are enjoyable to me, there are two that stand out from my days when I was a young man living in the tall timber...

Sitting beside a lake in the evening and listening to the call of a Loon echo across the lake. Beyond description.

Being deep in the timber, alone in the Creators cathedral and hearing the howl of the wolf. The sound is one of a kind and one that you never forget. You are in their land and they are talking to you. Friend or foe, tread lightly in our land human.  

Enoch
Masters Quiet
8.1  Enoch  replied to  Kavika @8    6 years ago

Dear Brother Kavika: How about the Wolf calls at Duffy's Tavern on weekend nights?

Of course I jest.

Nature has its own music to soothe away the wrinkles and frustrations of civilization.

Great observation.

Peace and Abundant Blessings.

Enoch.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
8.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Enoch @8.1    6 years ago
Dear Brother Kavika: How about the Wolf calls at Duffy's Tavern on weekend nights?

Enoch
Masters Quiet
8.1.2  Enoch  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @8.1.1    6 years ago

Dear Friend Galen Marvin Ross: Smiles.

E.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.2  Freefaller  replied to  Kavika @8    6 years ago
Sitting beside a lake in the evening and listening to the call of a Loon echo across the lake. Beyond description.

Exactly what I was going to post.  Great minds right? 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.2.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Freefaller @8.2    6 years ago

Same, but we sat on our dock with big cups of Gull Lake coffee (2/3 strong coffee, 1/3 Baillie's Irish Cream) at sunrise to listen to the loon calls echoing down the lake through the mist.

sunrise 1.jpg

This is a photo that I took while on our dock back then of the sunrise with mist rising from the lake, while we listened to the loon calls.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.2.2  Freefaller  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.2.1    6 years ago

Lol, they have loons in China as well?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.2.3  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Freefaller @8.2.2    6 years ago

I could be the only one.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9  author  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Although I can't open all those youtube videos, I can imagine them.  However, the loon calls are familiar to me, having heard them most mornings at my lakeside chalet.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
10  Spikegary    6 years ago

I was at our lake house this weekend and thinking back, the only sounds I don't like are loud voices walking up or down the road, to which, my dog Rain starts barking at.  Otherwise, the wind in the trees, the rain on the tin roof, thunder, lightening, crickets, humming birds, waves lapping gently at the dock, and of course, the loons.  My dad was a huge fan of loons and we have a collection of loon memorabilia at the Lake, along with some CDs of Loon Calls accompanied by symphonic music.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
11  JaneDoe    6 years ago

There is nothing quite like sitting on your deck watching the fireflies and listening to the spring peepers sing for you. so peaceful!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
12  It Is ME    6 years ago

Sitting on a back porch listening to a simple babbling brook or running stream.

Always MY favorite ! 

So Simple, yet so complex in it's sound, as so much else is drawn here !

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13  TᵢG    6 years ago

I like the sound of a powerful rain.   But I want it to end in about 20 minutes.  Winking 2

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @13    6 years ago

LOL.  Is that enough time for the crops?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @13.1    6 years ago

Absolutely.   I am talking about a pouring rain for 20 minutes   The ground will refuse in about 5 minutes in the downpour I imagine.  Winking 2

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
14  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

The ocean. A stream. The neighborhood whippoorwills. A cat purring.  A crackling fire.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
14.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @14    6 years ago

Good choices.

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
15  Raven Wing    6 years ago

The sounds of Mother Nature I like the most;

1. The wound of rain. The rain drops create a symphony of various sounds as it hits different surfaces.

2. The sound of the wind blowing through the branches of the trees in a forest. If you close your eyes and listen, it seems to be whispering a sweet song.

3. The throbbing hum of the "see Song" of a busy bee hive as all the different bees go about their own duties. Closing your eyes and listening quietly you can hear the different songs of the various parts of the hive.

4. Listening to the sound of the falling snow in the forest. If you sit quietly and listen you can hear the 'slap' of each snowflake as it lands. I heavy snow, the sound is like an echo through the trees. 

5. The hum of the wings of Hummingbirds as they hover around the Hummingbird feeder. The sound is different with the various sizes and types of Hummingbirds. And when they are fighting for territorial rights to the feeders.

6. I love the sound of the Raven as it sits on the lamp post and talks to me as I talk to it as well. The tilt of the head as it listens, then answers back. 

7. The lilting sound of a brook as the water makes it way over the rocks and rills, singing a happy tune all along the way.

8. The sound of baby birds calling out to their Mother from their nests for more food. 

9. Listening to the chatter of a squirrel as it announces its notice of territorial rights in their chosen area. Or, in my case, chattering at my window when they want more peanuts.

10. And hearing the howls of wolves in the night as they call to one another, each one different from the others. 

These are just some of the sounds of nature that I truly enjoy hearing, and brings me closer to Mother Earth. Each a part of the world that surrounds us that we sometimes forget to hear.