╌>

Passing Michael Jackson, the Eagles now have the best-selling album of all time. And they're still terrible.

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  6 years ago  •  187 comments

Passing Michael Jackson, the Eagles now have the best-selling album of all time. And they're still terrible.
Through sheer greed and avarice, the Eagles have brought on the long, slow decline of rock 'n' roll as an art form.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

“Jesus, man, could you change the channel?” Jeffrey Lebowski, Jeff Bridges’ character, asks, in a memorable scene from the Coen Brothers’ 1998 classic "The Big Lebowski." The soothing sounds of the Eagles’ “Peaceful Easy Feeling” are playing on the cab’s radio, but Lebowski isn't feeling it.

“Man, come on, I had a rough night, and I hate the f*ckin’ Eagles, man,” Lebwoski pleads, giving rise to a thousand memes in the process.

Unfortunately, Lebowski has messed with the wrong Eagles fan. In short order, he is yanked from the car by the offended cabbie and left stunned in the middle of the road.

I thought of Lebowski, and let out a few pained sighs of my own,   when I read Monday   that the Eagles had passed Michael Jackson to become the act with the best-selling album of all time. The compilation “Greatest Hits 1971-1975” had been certified 38x platinum, pushing it ahead of Jackson’s “Thriller,” which is certified 33x platinum. Meanwhile, it was announced that “Hotel California,” the group’s 1976 opus, had chalked up 26 million copies in sales and streams, making it third on the best-sellers list.

While there’s no doubting the group’s abilities to craft a catchy song, unassuming origin story, or the impact they’ve had on the music business since their founding in 1971, for better or worse, there are few groups — Bon Jovi, I’m looking at you — that I despise more. In fact, it’s precisely the things that make the group (and they are clearly a group, rather than a band, like the Beatles or the Stones) so appealing to the masses that have also made them so detrimental to music. Indeed, I believe that through sheer greed and avarice, they have singlehandedly brought on the long, slow decline of rock 'n' roll as an art form.

Of course, on paper, the Eagles have everything I should love: memorable songs, colorful personalities and musical and vocal chops in spades. But their bland, soulless music, which I’ve always thought sounded like a cocaine bender coming out of my speakers, creates a quick rush that ultimately leaves you empty, and worse off, in its aftermath.

read more at the seed link.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

I read this article an didn't know what to think. I have always like The Eagles.. love the song "Life in the fast lane". I also don't think of them as my all time favorite band. I do remember that they were the first band with a $100 ticket to see them, and that really turned me off, since they had only gotten together for the tour, it seems.. but that was already 20 years ago and they all seem to like being together since then

So, are they the worst thing to happen to rock in roll or is this guy, like my sister in law, who says the worst actor ever is Keanu Reeves, and that she can't stand looking at Peter Gallagher because he had a unibrow. Idk.. I can think of worst band, and worst actors.. I doubt I would waste my time writing about it.. 

So what are your thoughts? Lots to chomp on this one. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

If I remember, a lot of people said the Beatles were terrible, a flash in the pan, they wouldn't last a year when they first came out. And yet, they did last and put out some pretty good music. Not my favorite band, but, not bad. 

So, I kinda have to say the same for the Eagles. Not my favorite band, but, not bad. 

For me, the very worst stuff called music is Rap. Anything that isn't Rap is not that bad to me. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1    6 years ago

Rap is just crap without the C.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  arkpdx  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1    6 years ago
the very worst stuff called music is Rap.

Any connection between rap and actual music is strictly coincidental. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  arkpdx @1.1.2    6 years ago

Wow

almost in agreement,

but, even though I am very much not a fan of rap,

I do appreciate it for what it is        Ghetto Poetry

and ive had experience working in a few.

It represents the atmosphere that many economically challenged urban bull girls do have to endure, and I can appreciate their own vent style, as

I have my own, and I don't like when mine, is compared to it.

Just B cause I can make words rhyme, does not determine that what I babble is rap, and yes, sometimes it IS crap, but I did not grow up in the ghetto, not that far, and exposed to those who did, but to be a writer of ghetto poetry, it normally takes the full imbursement, as immersed from a very young age.

ive seen the Eagles, I N joy their music, and do really appreciate some of it, but I was never a fan of Michael Jackson, so why would this mean anything to me any way ?

Those Shoes, Joe Walsh (The Confessor), Victim of Love, all pretty good stuff.

Joe was my fav, Funk #49, and his guitar were the draw for me

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.4  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.1    6 years ago
Rap is just crap without the C.

Agreed! 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing @1.1.4    6 years ago

LOL, hey I'm a Rez Rapper along with all my cousins. Here are a couple of them. Joey Stylez and Keith Secola. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.6  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @1.1.5    6 years ago

LOL!!!   Yeah....there is a good deal of difference between the Rez Rap and the Street Rap. The Rez Rappers tend to have a different view of their fans in their choice of lyrics, compared to that of the Street Rappers.

But, IMHO, the biggest difference lies in the fans and what they expect and/or tolerate. The difference between the two is basically their fan base, with the primary aim being "R-E-S-P-E-C-T". 

However, for myself, I am not that fond of Rap from any source. Just not my cup of tea. $%^)@%(^

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.7  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @1.1.5    6 years ago

Very cool Kavika! 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.8  cjcold  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1.3    6 years ago

Used to sell pot to Joe back in the Caribou ranch days while I was caretaking an old abandoned geodesic dome city up the hill. Nice guy. He liked hanging out away from his smothering lifestyle. This was back in the James Gang days.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.9  Krishna  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1.3    6 years ago
It represents the atmosphere that many economically challenged urban bull girls do have to endure,

They jus' be a bunch of cheap sluts...

/s

(One of the things they have to endure is rap music ("ghetto poetry")..which looks at woman as ho's...)

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
1.1.10  dave-2693993  replied to  Krishna @1.1.9    6 years ago
One of the things they have to endure is rap music ("ghetto poetry")..which looks at woman as ho's

LOL. Of course some sexy Girls don't play well when called ho's.

Alright you Ruskies Get Outta Hear.jpg

Little over rotation there. The live ones are still in cases. Don't make her reach back there. Lol.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.11  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Krishna @1.1.9    6 years ago

Being called a Ho, would be rather hum drum for the many been known to survive, where many a macho male might come off, looking frail.

I do not condone the degrading of a woman by a stereotypical slur

as

i'man equal opportunity degrader, preferably on a banked straight away

No different than a negro referring to oneself as Nigger

which one does one deem to be bigger,

cause no won one

the way I figure,

and it does figure, after living the ghetto culture, to be worthy enough to degrade one another, even though, Father Sister Brother's Mother, is not always relative to being Grandma, they can sometimes be seen relative, to ALL thinking living ones, as its only human

but obviously, just a theory,

to be  inhumane

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.2  Spikegary  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

Sounds like this was written by some guy that was a frustrated musician, so he became a critic instead, so he can spew his anger at those that have succeeded.  If you want to talk about Greed and Avarice, I do believe Kiss is as good or better, as a band than anyone else out there about squeezing every penny there is into their palms.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Spikegary @1.2    6 years ago

Gotta agree with you Gary. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  Spikegary @1.2    6 years ago

Sounds like Gene Simmons, not at all talented, except for making a buck for himself.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.2    6 years ago

At least Gene Simmons admits that the only purpose in forming KISS was to make a boat load of money

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.2.4  Raven Wing  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.3    6 years ago

Isn't that the main reason for most all singers/bands? While they may enjoy paying for their audiences, their main reason for performing is to make a ton of money, and for the adulation and fame that goes with it. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.5  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.3    6 years ago

True enough.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Raven Wing @1.2.4    6 years ago

Unnnn....maybe. I do believe some of the best singer/song writers got into the business because they truly enjoy making music.

I don't think Gene Simmons ever wrote any of the songs. He had the brains to get somebody like Paul Stanley to do most of the work

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.2.7  Raven Wing  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.6    6 years ago

I as never a great fan of KISS, but, I do like some of their songs. I like Lynyrd Skynyrd songs, especially, Sweet Home Alabama. And I am more a Country/Western fan, mostly the more modern day CW songs and artists. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.2.8  cjcold  replied to  Spikegary @1.2    6 years ago
Sounds like this was written by some guy that was a frustrated musician

What musician doesn't end up frustrated?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.2.9  cjcold  replied to  Raven Wing @1.2.4    6 years ago

I got into the music business to play my songs. Getting rich was an afterthought and came much later.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.2.10  Raven Wing  replied to  cjcold @1.2.9    6 years ago

I was the Drummer for an all girl band in my Jr and Sr year of high school. I wrote a few of our songs as well, and sang along on some of the songs. It was mostly for fun, and giving the boy bands a little competition. We performed at a few of the school dances and talent shows, but, once graduation came around we all parted ways. 

It was a lot of fun and we were pretty good, even out did a couple of the boy bands, which was pretty embarrassing for them. We called our band The Rebels, as we loved to rebel against the boys. Thumbs Up 2

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

The proof is in the pudding ..... best selling album ever.

No more needs to be said except this guy is just spewing some sour grapes.

He probably liked Milli Vanilli

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.4.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Sparty On @1.4    6 years ago
Milli Vanilli

bean, sucking straws like a Marion Berry all ripe with a deep craving for chocolate

I t

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.4.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.4.1    6 years ago

Actually, I only enjoyed their cover songs

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.4.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @1.4    6 years ago

The proof is in the pudding ..... best selling album ever.

No more needs to be said except this guy is just spewing some sour grapes.

LMAO.. I think you are spot on.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

If I went through a list, I could probably identify 200 bands that I would consider worse than the Eagles. I bought their first couple albums at the time, partly because some of the songs were written by Jackson Browne, who I have always liked. 

The eagles eventually became one of those groups that people like to use as some sort of a whipping boy. Who even knows why any more? 

One Of These Nights was a great pop song, imo. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.5.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @1.5    6 years ago

I love that song. I think it's one of their best

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.5.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.5.1    6 years ago

This is my favorite song from the one guy in the band who rarely sang, Tim Schmitt. He has such a sweet voice. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.5.3  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @1.5    6 years ago

Always thought that they were better as solo artists. New York Minute is the best song ever written.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.5.4  Krishna  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.5.1    6 years ago

I like The Eagles. I like "Hotel California".

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.6  cjcold  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

Pretty sure it was Elton John and feather boas that were bad for rock.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.6.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  cjcold @1.6    6 years ago

What about David Bowie? The whole glam rock movement? In fact, Elton was still playing it pretty striaght when that was going on.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.7  Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago
I read this article an didn't know what to think

Here's what to think: different people have different tastes in music.

EOM.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.8  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

Always liked the Eagles a lot more than I ever did Michael Jackson. Not saying he was not a great talent because he was, but when it came greed and avarice, he and the other members of the Jackson family made the Eagles look tame by comparison.

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent
1.9  Tex Stankley  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

Yup.  I'm with you.   Not by any means a favorite band and not a great band but a pretty darn good one.   I think it has been fashionable to hate them for some time.  

I read an article ages ago that said Henley got on stage and performed this with Mojo and the Toadliquors.   Gotta give him points on that one. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
2  Enoch    6 years ago

Dear Friend Perrie: "Hotel California". 26 million copies in sales and streams.

With those kinds of numbers, one would think they could afford cleaner sheets and towels.

I jest. They are a good group. 

Neil Sedaka, Carole King Cindi Lauper stand out in my mind as American entertainers go.

For Cantorial, Yossele Rosenblatt.

For Israeli, Shoshana Damari, Geula Gill and Oranim Zabar, Givatron, and Theodore Bikel are long standing favorites.   

Enoch, Hopeing to Hit a High Note.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Enoch @2    6 years ago
Hopeing to Hit a High Note.

Alto

Enoch
Masters Quiet
2.1.1  Enoch  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2.1    6 years ago

Dear Friend Ignorantzrulz: That or I need new and bigger under fashions.

Smiles.

E.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Enoch @2.1.1    6 years ago

Enoch,

All of the musicians you listed are wonderful. I think that some people think that music should be one thing and only one thing. I like all kinds of music. I love Billy Joel and Led Zep; The Eagles and Pink Floyd: Carole King and Rush. They are different and enjoyable in their own ways. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

What is "good" music?

Queen was mediocre... except that Freddy was the best rock vocalist ever.

The Beatles broke ground in all directions, but a lot of their stuff was... self-absorbed...

The Stones are the best live rock band ever, but some of their albums are pretty ordinary.

The Eagles? The best elevator music ever!

Hey! Nobody's perfect!

Enoch
Masters Quiet
3.1  Enoch  replied to  Bob Nelson @3    6 years ago

Dear Friend Bob Nelson: Kansas, "Dust in the Wind".

E.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Enoch @3.1    6 years ago
Kansas, "Dust in the Wind"

I realized I couldn't name another track by Kansas, so I did a short binge... and found nothing that I would burden my memory with. Not bad - I like switched-on Bach, so...

But not memorable... except "Dust in the Wind".

Odd how that happens...

Enoch
Masters Quiet
3.1.2  Enoch  replied to  Bob Nelson @3.1.1    6 years ago

Dear Brother Bob Nelson: A one shot wonder for sure.

E.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  cjcold  replied to  Enoch @3.1    6 years ago

Helped write that song. Didn't get credit and never actually liked it. It seemed juvenile.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
3.1.4  Enoch  replied to  cjcold @3.1.3    6 years ago

Dear Friend CJCold: Sorry you didn't get the credit you earned.

E.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Bob Nelson @3    6 years ago
Queen was mediocre

You take that back, Bob!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.2.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2    6 years ago
Freddy was the best rock vocalist ever.

Better now?   Winking 2

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Bob Nelson @3.2.1    6 years ago

A little

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.2    6 years ago

He should be smacked for that one Trout! I love Queen and Freddy. 

And without the Beatles, rock would be fundamentally different. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.3    6 years ago

Are you going to see that movie about Freddie Mercury?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.2.5  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.4    6 years ago

in a Pontiac

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2.6  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.4    6 years ago

For sure. I a a huge Freddy fan. I cried the day he died. That never happens to me with public figures. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.2.7  cjcold  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.6    6 years ago

Partied with Joe Cocker a few times. Saw Black Sabbath. know Leon Russell. Saw CSNY many times and partied with them. Smoked hashish with Lowell George. Sold cocaine to a whole lot of famous musicians. (whose names won't be divulged). I miss the 60's

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.3  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @3    6 years ago

Which begs the question.   What does Bob consider "good" music?

Jerry Lewis sings the hits?

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.3.1  Spikegary  replied to  Sparty On @3.3    6 years ago

Heddy or was that, Hedley, Lamar?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Bob Nelson @3    6 years ago

Bob, 

I could not disagree more about your assessment of those musicians, but that is what makes the world go round. 

You never said who you listen to.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.4.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.4    6 years ago
You never said who you listen to.

Lemme see...

Queen, Beatles, Stones, good one

Not the Eagles.

Guitar heroes, starting with Clapton and Santana.

Ladies

Bach

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.4.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Bob Nelson @3.4.1    6 years ago

OK, so a classic rock guy. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.4.3  cjcold  replied to  Bob Nelson @3.4.1    6 years ago

Jammed with some of the greats. Rory Gallagher was the only guitarist I couldn't keep up with.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Long time favorites:

Tequila Sunrise

Boys of Summer

Hotel California

Rocky Mountain Way (Remember Joe wrote and performed it earlier with other members of Barnstorm)

etc.

I am not sure where the author is coming from.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  Tessylo  replied to  dave-2693993 @4    6 years ago

I never really liked Boys of Summer - too depressing to me - but that's a Don Henley solo song - not the Eagles

Only thing I remember about the song is the lyric - 

I can see you,
Your brown skin shining in the sun
You got that top pulled down,
And that radio on, baby

It makes me think she is driving down the road with her top (shirt) off - not  her convertible top down.  

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Tessylo @4.1    6 years ago
It makes me think she is driving down the road with her top (shirt) off - not  her convertible top down.  

Lol,

I am not making fun of your interpretation, but it made me laugh.

I always pictured her driving down the beach boulevard in a British sports car, where you pop 2 latches and pull the top down.

You are right, Boys of Summer is a Henley song, but for me, it is Eagles'esque enough for me.

It reminds me of a place and time, which many Eagles songs tended to do.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  dave-2693993 @4.1.1    6 years ago

I have a confession about that song... 

I had one of those lyrics mishaps with it... you know how some people think that Hendrix was singing " "Cuse me while I kiss this guy"

Well, the line that goes " My love for you will still be strong".. now don't laugh at me, but I swore he was singing, "My love for you is 10 feet long". 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.2    6 years ago

I have heard whales can sing, a catchy tune

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.1.4  dave-2693993  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.2    6 years ago

LMAO, That is hilarious.

Thanks for sharing.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.2    6 years ago

good one

Now that's probably the way I sing it every time I hear it

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.2  dave-2693993  replied to  dave-2693993 @4    6 years ago

Just remembered this while posting of another thread.

My brain must be fading. While speaking about about the Eagles I do not know how this slipped my mind.

Several years earlier, we had moved to a new town. Takoma Park, MD. Hippie capitol of the world as far as I could tell. There was both good and bad about it.

It was heaven for my younger sister. She loved hippieville and stills lives in the area.

Up the street was a music and head shop. The owner was a promoter for many of the bands/performers booked into the clubs in downtown D.C., Georgetown mostly.

Unfortunately, I missed this personally, so this is coming from my Mom, sister and brother.

So there were meet and greets at his shop when the bands were in town. One time it was the Eagles and my 16 yr old sister went up to see them. Not long after she comes home there is a knock on the door. Some guy wants to take my little sister to a nightclub down town in his van. This fella's name was Glenn Fry. Sis confirms, yes, it's Glenn Fry. Fortunately, Mom met him at the door. She gets the lowdown and sends him on his way. Alone.

How could I forget this in an Eagles discussion?

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
4.2.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @4.2    6 years ago
the Eagles and my 16 yr old sister went up to see them. Not long after she comes home there is a knock on the door. Some guy wants to take my little sister to a nightclub down town in his van. This fella's name was Glenn Fry. Sis confirms, yes, it's Glenn Fry. Fortunately, Mom met him at the door. She gets the lowdown and sends him on his way. Alone.

Good for Mom, evidently you had a nice looking sister and your mom evidently didn't want none of this:

BTW, The Eagles who ?

O yeah, didn't they have a song about a hotel ?

lol

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.2  devangelical  replied to  dave-2693993 @4.2    6 years ago

He wasn't the Eagle that got into trouble over an underage girl long ago, was he?

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.2.3  dave-2693993  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.2.1    6 years ago

Yep, she was/is a cutie. She is the one who married a fella who looks like Jimi Hendrix and has the most beautiful niece of all in our family.

Mom always knew when to put here foot down and didn't mess around when it was serious.

Now I just thought of another story.

Okay, there was this guy who unfortunately decided he was infatuated with my sister. He was my age, I was still home. I had wrestled this guy several times. He was the weight class above me and +100lbs. Beat him every time.

Cold autumn day, fireplace going, I am studying, sis is upstairs. We are the only ones in the house. There is a knock on the door. I could see through the glass pain in the main door, it was that guy. I knew he came for sis. He knew I saw him, but I didn't answer the door right away. I took the fireplace poker and placed it in the fire. I like to make very hot fires bay the way. BTW, that doesn't mean raging fire.

This guy knocks and knocks on the door while I am waiting for this thing to get hot. Alright, it gets hot. I leave it there to get hotter and go answer the door.

He DEMANDS to see my sister. I don't recall the entire discussion, but I remember one phrase clearly. I told him "if you don't get out of here right now I will run a red hot poker up your ass".

He called BS on me. I turned around got that red hot poker, he started backing up, but not fast enough. I jammed it right into his thigh. He jumped higher that I could imagine possible, ran away and never came back.

There are some folks with bad intentions, sometimes you need to be the one to stop them.

BTW, it's Glenn Frey not Fry. DOH.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.2.4  dave-2693993  replied to  devangelical @4.2.2    6 years ago

I really don't know, but if so he didn't get my little sister.

BTW, it's Frey not Fry. Just a mistake.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @4.2.2    6 years ago

I think that was Don Henley.  I believe that was what Dirty Laundry was all about.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.6  devangelical  replied to  dave-2693993 @4.2.4    6 years ago

Good thing for mom and I knew who you meant. no biggie.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.2.7  dave-2693993  replied to  devangelical @4.2.6    6 years ago

Absolutely right. Mom knew how to put on the brakes.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

Why do we never mention the ladies?

The first playlist I built on Spotify led off with Melissa Etheridge, and went on with Alabama, Ani DeFranco, Dar Williams, Dido, Dixie Chicks, Indigo Girls, ....

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
7.1  Spikegary  replied to  Bob Nelson @7    6 years ago

Becuase this is a story about the Eagles and some 'critic' that doesn't like them.....sounds like you have an idea for an article though.....

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Spikegary @7.1    6 years ago
sounds like you have an idea for an article though.....

That's actually a pretty good idea!    thumbs up

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
7.1.2  Spikegary  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.1    6 years ago

Of course it is.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  Spikegary @7.1.2    6 years ago

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     6 years ago

The Eagles are one of my favorites. 

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
9  Phoenyx13    6 years ago

not a big fan of the Eagles - and from what i can see so far in the comments , i have quite different musical tastes it seems chuckle

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
10  Dean Moriarty    6 years ago

Love Joe Walsh and the James Gang the Eagles not so much. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
10.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Dean Moriarty @10    6 years ago

Big fan of James Gang, but not at the expense of Eagles or Barnstorm.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  dave-2693993 @10.1    6 years ago

Ditto

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
11  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

I've always liked the Eagles, always have. Always will

My big beef with rock n roll are concert ticket prices

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @11    6 years ago

I didn't realize it was a song about their break up - and played the first time they got back together as a band.

I always thought the Get Over It tour was about the cost of their tickets.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
11.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @11.1    6 years ago

Which song was about their break-up?

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
11.1.2  mocowgirl  replied to  Trout Giggles @11.1.1    6 years ago
Which song was about their break-up?

I don't really know, but the first song that I thought of was.....

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @11.1.1    6 years ago
'Which song was about their break-up?'

Get over it

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
11.2  mocowgirl  replied to  Trout Giggles @11    6 years ago
I've always liked the Eagles, always have. Always will

Me, too.

Vince Gill has been touring with the Eagles since Frey's death.  I am a Vince Gill fan, but no one can replace Frey.   The band even had Frey's son singing with them this summer.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.2.1  Kavika   replied to  mocowgirl @11.2    6 years ago

The late great Glenn Frey. True Love.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12  Texan1211    6 years ago

I have always liked the Eagles, and saw them a couple years ago in Austin. Awesome concert.

One of my very favorite songs is "The Last Resort". Never released as a single, I don't believe, but a great song IMO.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
12.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Texan1211 @12    6 years ago
I have always liked the Eagles,

You surprise me Tex

What are your thoughts on those Philadelphia Eagles ?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  igknorantzrulz @12.1    6 years ago

Come on, man--you KNOW I am from Texas! Can't ever root for that Yankee team! But my best friend at work is from Philly, so we have lots of fun ribbing each other. He got me good last year, though!

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
12.1.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Texan1211 @12.1.1    6 years ago

Yes, it was a long time arriving for us Philly natives

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
12.1.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @12.1.1    6 years ago
Can't ever root for that Yankee team!

You do realize to the rest of the world, we are all called Yankees, right?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
12.1.4  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12.1.3    6 years ago
we are all called Yankees

Tex , showin off again

encompassing so many subtle t's in his simple swar ae speech, that slithers from his parched lips with a fresh coat of suzy chapstick lip locking

on a cover girl

gotta wathch ole Tex, and those damn Philadelphia Yankees who must have gotten displaced from New York

hello Judge Jury Executioner Perrier

quick question, I was off on some fictional adventure, known as my life, and did not keep up with the new ticketing system.

It's like Skee Ball right    the more tickets I acquire, the larger prize I win I'm guessin

I want that Giant Panda in the back row there please...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12.1.3    6 years ago

Yes, I have lived in many places besides Texas. It is a joke.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12.1.3    6 years ago

To many in Texas, folks from Oklahoma are Yankees!

user image
Freshman Silent
12.1.7    replied to  Texan1211 @12.1.6    6 years ago

The University of Texas had to replace the natural grass with a turf surface in Royal-Memorial Stadium to stop the cheerleaders from grazing.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
12.1.8  igknorantzrulz  replied to  @12.1.7    6 years ago

I like grazing into the eyes of cheerliters

and hurricanes

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  @12.1.7    6 years ago

Good one!

never liked UT much myself, most of my family were Aggies!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
12.1.10  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  igknorantzrulz @12.1.4    6 years ago
hello Judge Jury Executioner Perrier

quick question, I was off on some fictional adventure, known as my life, and did not keep up with the new ticketing system.

It's like Skee Ball right    the more tickets I acquire, the larger prize I win I'm guessin

I want that Giant Panda in the back row there please...

LMAO! You do crack me up. 

Well, think of it more like traffic violations.... you get 8 in a month and you get a 2 day suspension of your license. 

Letting everyone know, but putting it in the drop down is our way of being transparent. 

Hope your adventures have been pleasant ones. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
12.1.11  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @12.1.6    6 years ago

LMAO.. that is funny. 

But having lived in England, I have actually heard them refer to Texans as Yankees, especially when "Dallas" was the big show there. What I found funny was that I was from NY and they wanted to know where my NY accent was.. meaning that I didn't have a Texan one. Go figure. 

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
12.1.12  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12.1.10    6 years ago
the more tickets I acquire, the larger prize I win

I like igknorantzrulz's idea much better !!

( and BTW, I want the big stuffed dog)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
12.1.13  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @12.1.12    6 years ago

In a perfect world, so do I...

Sadly, this is hardly perfect. 

And I want the giant Bugs. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
12.1.14  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12.1.10    6 years ago
Hope your adventures have been pleasant ones

I'm guessin if I was a Sado Masochist

but hey

WTF is the difference when we're all dead eventually anyway

U get allegedly one life, AND THATS ALL I NEEDED !

I left a little explanation on Enochs fork in the road, less travelled seed

I don't know, surreal, isn't really comprehensive enough, but, ive found if I aint livin on the edge

I'm dying   somewhere else chewing cud, and I ain't ready  to be Louie put out to Pasteurized quite yet

Ive got Tickets to earn , damnet

Ive seen the Eagles a few times, but I was very happy I was able to get my father to the Hell Freezes over Tour, as they are his favorite, or right there.

We weren't talkin at the time, so all were able to hear concert better

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
12.1.15  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  igknorantzrulz @12.1.14    6 years ago

I hope you are not really dying at the moment. 

Going to a concert with your dad who you were not talking to... interesting arrangement. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
12.1.16  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12.1.13    6 years ago

Well, if we're all claiming the big prize...I want the Giant Dragon

It takes 8 tickets to get suspended? That's a lot of tickets. Why was I thinking 4?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
12.1.17  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @12.1.16    6 years ago
It takes 8 tickets to get suspended? That's a lot of tickets. Why was I thinking 4?

Actually it's 8 points. Skirts are 1 point, full violations are 2. 

But you are a good girl so no worries. :)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
12.1.18  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12.1.17    6 years ago

Oh...8 points!

That makes a difference.

I was bad last week.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
12.1.19  Spikegary  replied to  Trout Giggles @12.1.18    6 years ago

Oh my.....please tell us, in detail, how you were a bad girl........enquiring minds want to know.......

laughing dude

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
12.1.20  Trout Giggles  replied to  Spikegary @12.1.19    6 years ago

I called 2 people knuckleheads

And I wasn't very nice in chat

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
12.1.22  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12.1.15    6 years ago
really dying at the moment

I'm a dumb brunette, who dyed my hair blonde,

to fit in.

We are all dying, ive just had a possibly, a more interestingly bizarre life than a few, and these last few months, certainly didn't disappoint.

"But you are a good girl so no worries"

She got me in trouble today.

She is not the innocent giggling little tad pole she portrays, as tig n I, were involved in serious discussion over tVevangleism , when Trout, slyly coaxed me into a truly false sense of insecurity, and she made me wear it like a giant Scarlett A, on my forehead this mourning, distracting tig n I, from our philosophical interaction.

sorry , the Giggles up,

Perrier torchered it out of me            Where did you learn the feather technique at anyway, R A ?

I never realized Ravaging Adulteress were what those two bland little letters stood for... 

I thought I was at the Hanoi Holiday Inn Express, but slower  (All joking aside, John McCain was, and still is, making TRumpp pout. Now there is a Real Man, worthy of the title POTUS, imho )  

"Pretty Momma , what ya gonna do with those shoes"

Well if its anything like the damn feather, im gonna need a N2O tank over here STAT !

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
12.1.23  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12.1.17    6 years ago
Skirts are 1 point, full violations are 2. 

Sounds like the rules to a grabby game the current President often plays...

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
12.1.24  Spikegary  replied to  Trout Giggles @12.1.20    6 years ago

Damn, I just got my popcorn bowl out and some comfy slippers on, relaxed in my big chair.....all for that?  Sigh.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.1.25  Texan1211  replied to  Release The Kraken @12.1.21    6 years ago

Not sure non-Texans (those unfortunate ones) will get that reference!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
12.1.26  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Release The Kraken @12.1.21    6 years ago

Anyone not born in Texas is a Yankee by that account. 

But seriously, the world does call us that.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
12.1.27  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Spikegary @12.1.24    6 years ago

Hey, watch out for those two

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
12.1.28  Trout Giggles  replied to  Spikegary @12.1.24    6 years ago

I can't even get into trouble right

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
12.1.29  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12.1.26    6 years ago

I'm a damyankee

I came to the south and stayed

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.1.30  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12.1.26    6 years ago

Yes, the world does. But for different reasons than why we call Americans Yankees here.

To me, that is like us calling the Germans "Jerries" during WWII or the British being called "Limeys".

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
12.1.31  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Trout Giggles @12.1.28    6 years ago
I can't even get into trouble right

Who do you think that's fooling, now myself, I must work very diligently to avoid being taken as the Danny Do Right from the group.

Always had an Orange to give teach, something to compare her Adams Apple too.

She always had me stay after class, and it was a unique classroom at that.

It was a round room, thus causing me much dizziness, as she always sent me to the corner,

but, I told her,

NOBODY puts BABY in the Corner !

at least without P S and K P

youre a bad influence, yea, you and that R A

im back out to sweat, where im a real big fan, of the Eagles, and AC             n joy

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
12.1.32  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @12.1.29    6 years ago
I'm a damyankee

So were these two guys:Tommy_Shaw_of_Styx.jpg

1269_v9_ba.jpg

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

Adding insult to injury, here is a quote from later in the article:

At the height of it all, in 1980, the band disbanded amid petty squabbling over (of course) money and control, only to reconvene in the MTV era, for tons of cash, and with Henley and Frey firmly in command. Even the artists and bands whose music I despise — Billy Joel, the aforementioned Bon Jovi — seem to be at least true music fans, with a keen connection to and appreciation for their audience. Not so the Eagles, whose every action seems baldly transactional in nature.

He despises Billy Joel.... I mean wtf? I would say that 50+ shows sold out at Madison Square Garden might mean most people don't agree. And how can you compare Billy Joel to Bon Jovi? Most east coaster would tell you that the comparison is always Billy Joel vs Bruce Springsteen. He obviously doesn't get the concept of song writers vs. bands. Billy Joel is a song writer, like Springsteen and even Elton John. The guy thinks he gets music but he really doesn't. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.1  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13    6 years ago

perhaps the very best concert I ever saw was Billy Joel and Elton John together in Sam Antonio. They had two pianos set up on stage and they took turns on whose songs they sung. It was GREAT!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @13.1    6 years ago

Saw the same concert in NY. It was the first concert that I took my daughters to. It really was a great concert. 3+ hours of classic music. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
13.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13    6 years ago

Kind of like I mentioned earlier, I don't know where he is coming from.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  dave-2693993 @13.2    6 years ago

Gotta agree with you Dave! 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
13.2.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.2.1    6 years ago

Maybe I am biased as the Eagles, et al, captured a moment in time for me.

Even if I try to remove that, I still like their music.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.2.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  dave-2693993 @13.2.2    6 years ago

I like the Eagles. I don't care what this dude says. He probably hates the Doobie Brothers, and America, too. And yes they do represent a period of time. It was called "The Song Writers" or "Story Tellers". This is well documented in Rock history. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
13.2.4  dave-2693993  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.2.3    6 years ago
He probably hates the Doobie Brothers, and America, too.

I have driven through China Grove way back when.

I like that period of music as many tunes captured stories relative to my experiences at that time.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.2.3    6 years ago

How could anyone hate the Doobie Brothers?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
13.2.6  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.2.5    6 years ago

I love the Doobie Brothers!  Saw them in concert some years ago.  They kick ass!  

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
13.2.7  Phoenyx13  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.2.5    6 years ago
How could anyone hate the Doobie Brothers?

i do hate the Doobie Brothers. But i don't hate America as previously suggested due to my hatred of the Doobie Brothers.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.2.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  Phoenyx13 @13.2.7    6 years ago

Black Water? China Grove? It Keeps You Running?

What are you...some kind of Philistine?????

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.2.9  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.2.8    6 years ago

All great songs Trout... and you forgot South City Midnight lady! 

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
13.2.10  Phoenyx13  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.2.8    6 years ago
Black Water?

nope

China Grove?

nope

It Keeps You Running?

nope

nope. i just have different tastes and don't care much for the genre as a whole

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.2.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Phoenyx13 @13.2.10    6 years ago

I'm just yanking your chain. I don't like a lot of music, either. I cannot STAND new country music

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.2.12  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Phoenyx13 @13.2.10    6 years ago
i just have different tastes and don't care much for the genre as a whole

What are you into?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
13.2.13  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.2.11    6 years ago
I cannot STAND new country music

So Dueling Banjos brings back fonder memories for cackling Poseidon's, watchin poor Ned 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.2.14  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.2.11    6 years ago
I cannot STAND new country music

I like classic country, like Glenn Campbell, Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams..etc.  

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
13.2.15  dave-2693993  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.2.8    6 years ago

LMAO

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.2.16  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.2.14    6 years ago

I have thought that some groups, like the Eagles and CCR, would be even bigger starts in today's world with what country music is going to now. Maybe even have big crossover hits today.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.2.17  Trout Giggles  replied to  igknorantzrulz @13.2.13    6 years ago

Hey. I like Dueling Banjo's

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
13.2.18  Phoenyx13  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.2.11    6 years ago
I'm just yanking your chain.

no problem  Big hugs

I don't like a lot of music, either. I cannot STAND new country music

i'm iffy on country ... only a few select artists/groups i do like .. i don't know overall tho.. i guess that depends on my mood .

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.2.19  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.2.14    6 years ago

I like the Old Timers, too

I could sit and listen to Waylon Jennings all day long. He could sing a grocery list and I would listen to it

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
13.2.20  Phoenyx13  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.2.12    6 years ago
What are you into?

well there is some rock i do enjoy, but not very much. I enjoy a variety of music, but don't really stick to a specific genre overall - and yes, i do like rap (i'm particular about it tho, i tend to like the female artists songs and some of the male artists creativity), also heavy metal, EDM, jungle music, r&b, hip hop, some country, some independent artists that don't really fit in anywhere, some folk music, some classical music, opera trance, DJ mixes and their own albums... really depends, i even like artists like Elva Hsiao and Utada.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
13.2.21  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.2.11    6 years ago

Oh, gawd. My son thinks Luke Bryan and Jason Aldean are awesome. Rescue me.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.2.22  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @13.2.21    6 years ago

I have to be really old because I think I heard of Jason Aldean but not that other guy

freepress
Freshman Silent
15  freepress    6 years ago

Amen to that. All I will ever think of when it comes to the Eagles, is Mojo Nixon doing a parody song about them that was totally hilarious.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
16  Dismayed Patriot    6 years ago

"Of course, on paper, the Eagles have everything I should love: memorable songs, colorful personalities and musical and vocal chops in spades. But their bland, soulless music, which I’ve always thought sounded like a cocaine bender coming out of my speakers, creates a quick rush that ultimately leaves you empty, and worse off, in its aftermath."

Colorful, memorable, musical and vocal "chops" in spades, but it's also bland, soulless music? That seems like an incongruous contradiction. It feels like this authors real problem is that the Eagles were so popular, as if he wished they had stayed a rarely heard of phenomenon so he could brag to people how he loved them, but since they became so mainstream dishing out one rockin hit after another, and appealed to so many, they were no longer "cool" or "rebels".

I have to admit, I myself don't own any of their albums, but I have been singing along to their catchy hypnotic hits for decades and have the "Eagles" channel on Pandora and I've never heard an Eagles or Don Henley song I didn't at least tap my foot to.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
16.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @16    6 years ago

I kind of agree with you... or he was a frustrated musician who couldn't make it and then became the bitter critic. You don't have to love the Eagles, but they had talent for sure. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
17  Tacos!    6 years ago

We can't all like the same things I guess. I have always loved the Eagles.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
17.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tacos! @17    6 years ago

YAY Tacos !