╌>

Ryan Gosling defends Neil Armstrong biopic 'First Man' leaving out American flag in moon landing scene

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jasper2529  •  6 years ago  •  70 comments

Ryan Gosling defends Neil Armstrong biopic 'First Man' leaving out American flag in moon landing scene

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

“First Man,” the Neil Armstrong biopic that tells the tale of the 1969 moon landing, has stolen the show at several international film festivals — but not everyone is happy.

The film fails to show one of the most integral moments of American history – when Armstrong plants the American flag on the moon, according to   The Telegraph . Ryan Gosling, the Canadian actor who portrays Armstrong in the movie, defended the decision to not show the flag.

Gosling was asked at the Venice Film Festival whether omitting the scene was deliberate and the actor attempted to sidestep the question by responding that the moon landing “transcended countries and borders.”

“I think this was widely regarded in the end as a human achievement [and] that's how we chose to view it,” he told reporters. "I also think Neil was extremely humble, as were many of these astronauts, and time and time again he deferred the focus from himself to the 400,000 people who made the mission possible.”

Gosling said he didn’t think Armstrong “viewed himself as an American hero.”

Gosling jokingly admitted he might have “cognitive bias” being that he’s Canadian.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Jasper2529    6 years ago

"First Man" is a biopic film about Neil Armstrong's journey to  ... and landing on ... the moon in 1969 that omits the fact that he planted the US flag there. 

Definition of   biopic

:   a biographical movie

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Jasper2529 @1    6 years ago

Definition Of Biopic

: a biographical movie
A biography is a factual account of someone's life.  It's clear that this movie has an anti-USA agenda.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1    6 years ago

It’s a movie I won’t bother to watch.  To leave out his planting the American flag which is still there is just a way of Hollywood liberals showing their contempt for America. 

Silent_Hysteria
Freshman Silent
1.1.3  Silent_Hysteria  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1    6 years ago

I don't think it is intentionally anti American.  I think they wanted to make sure it would translate well over seas. I believe it was a financial decision.  Not wanting to believe that other countries want to see "propaganda of American excellence".  I am NOT saying I agree with that decision.  It's bulshit.  I just don't believe it was an anti American decision. 

Unfortunately it does play into the cultural Marxism going on now in the US and Europe.  Destroying any individualism a nation may have and paint it as a humanity achievement alone.  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2  seeder  Jasper2529    6 years ago
Gosling was asked at the Venice Film Festival whether omitting the scene was deliberate and the actor attempted to sidestep the question by responding that the moon landing “transcended countries and borders.”

People have already rewritten novels and textbooks. Now, they are rewriting an historic event that specifically belongs to the USA. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    6 years ago

The taxpayers of the USA paid for the moon landing and we deserve for our flag to be shown 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  charger 383 @3    6 years ago

That's definitely one fact, of many, that Ryan Gosling (age 37) and others do not understand.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    6 years ago

If they went out of their way to avoid showing the American flag for artistic or political reasons, that's kinda shameful. We did that as a country. We were proud of our national achievement. So, we planted our flag. You better believe anyone else would have planted their flag, too.

We tend to nostalgize the space program the same way we do the "Age of Exploration." Looking back, we imagine that the astronauts - like (we imagine) Columbus - were on a delightful odyssey of pure science and exploration for its own sake - not for conquest or wealth. Such motivations embarrass us now.

While those pure science aspects were present, the space program was really about the Cold War struggle with the Soviet Union. Landing on the moon was a military triumph before it was anything else.

Based on that, I suspect it's more likely that studio executives told them to leave the flag out so the movie would sell more tickets in places like Russia and China. The global box office is a huge part of the economics of movie making, particularly China and the rest of Asia. Some movies even make the majority of their money overseas and studios make lots of little decisions to facilitate that. It's incomplete history, but the movie, at least, can be marketed as that delightful odyssey of yada yada yada.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Tacos! @5    6 years ago
the space program was really about the Cold War struggle with the Soviet Union. Landing on the moon was a military triumph before it was anything else.

thumbs up   Clapping

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6  Greg Jones    6 years ago

Bit by bit, little by little, day after day, "they" are attempting to rewrite history. I don't think I need to define who the PC "they" is.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Greg Jones @6    6 years ago

Let's not forget the historic statues and monuments that have either been removed or destroyed in the name of "PC".

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

Notice that there are no blame America first /American exceptionalism denier progressives here defending this.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
7.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7    6 years ago

I noticed and am not surprised.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8  seeder  Jasper2529    6 years ago

Here's another article on the topic. Check the comments, too.

devangelical
Professor Principal
9  devangelical    6 years ago

pffft, more manufactured outrage.

But, but, the flag, the flag. Boo hoo hoo.

Big fucking deal.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
9.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  devangelical @9    6 years ago

Thank you for contributing an anti-USA comment.

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Jasper2529 @9.1    6 years ago

It was likely the director's call, not the actor's. Maybe the subject of the biopic had final approval over the script. This manufactured outrage is nothing more that a prequel to the white nationalist hysterics that will be on display when football season starts. Too bad the self proclaimed patriotism of some doesn't extend to their comprehension of the Constitution. No patriotic American will tolerate the assaults on the 1st amendment by the russian influenced rightwing.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
9.1.2  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  devangelical @9.1.1    6 years ago

Your comment is pure speculation bordering on ridiculous.  BTW - Neil Armstrong died 6 years ago. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
9.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  devangelical @9.1.1    6 years ago
No patriotic American will tolerate the assaults on the 1st amendment by the russian influenced rightwing.

What assaults are you referring to?  The press and the left has been spouting anti-Trump propaganda for two years now.

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Jasper2529 @9.1.2    6 years ago

It's either some type of an authorized biopic, or it isn't. Manufactured outrage, try again.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
9.1.5  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Greg Jones @9.1.3    6 years ago

Please don't encourage that person's attempt to derail. This seed has nothing to do with Trump or a political "wing".

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
9.1.6  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  devangelical @9.1.4    6 years ago
It's either some type of an authorized biopic, or it isn't.

Perhaps you can find out and report on it with facts instead of speculating.

Manufactured outrage, try again.

I haven't seen manufactured or real "outrage". What I do see are some very real anti-USA/anti-American flag comments.

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1.7  devangelical  replied to  Jasper2529 @9.1.5    6 years ago

I never mentioned trump.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
9.1.8  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  devangelical @9.1.7    6 years ago
I never mentioned trump.

If you'd taken a closer look at my comment  9.1.5    you'd have seen that it was a reply to Greg Jones, not you. But, now that you've mentioned Trump, please don't do it again.  peace

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1.9  devangelical  replied to  Jasper2529 @9.1.6    6 years ago

No thanks. I'll engage this nothing burger subject at it's own superficial level. I reject the judgements of what constitutes patriotism by those with such a limited comprehension of the US Constitution. I'd caution those that would imply the existence of some patriotic caste system, they just might find themselves on the bottom of that totem pole.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
9.1.10  Cerenkov  replied to  devangelical @9.1.1    6 years ago

Are you paid to post these bizarre allegations? Or is it a hobby?

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1.11  devangelical  replied to  Cerenkov @9.1.10    6 years ago

ie: still beating the wife?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
9.2  cjcold  replied to  devangelical @9    6 years ago

Besides, everybody knows the moon landings were faked anyway.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
9.2.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  cjcold @9.2    6 years ago
everybody knows the moon landings were faked anyway.

Really? Perhaps you can explain your sweeping generalization.

JBB
Professor Principal
9.3  JBB  replied to  devangelical @9    6 years ago
more manufactured outrage.

The Feigned Rightwing Outrage of the Day #8,952...

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
9.3.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @9.3    6 years ago
The Feigned Rightwing Outrage of the Day #8 ,952...

Since I posted comment 8 ,  it's obvious that  you are referring to me.  Please specify exactly where I expressed "Feigned" or real "Rightwing Outrage" in comment 8.   Here's a heads-up, JBB: You'll be hard-pressed to find evidence, because I am neither right nor left wing and as I've already told you and others on this site, it takes a tremendous amount of crap for me to become "outraged" over it. But, give it your best shot; I await your evidence.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
9.3.2  Cerenkov  replied to  Jasper2529 @9.3.1    6 years ago

Don't expect much. That pool is shallow.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
9.3.3  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Cerenkov @9.3.2    6 years ago

I know, but I keep hoping.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.4  Tacos!  replied to  devangelical @9    6 years ago
more manufactured outrage

If the outrage isn't important or genuine, then why was it crucial to not show the flag? After all, if it's no big deal, just show it.

Furthermore, if it wasn't important at the time, why did the astronauts plant the flag in the first place?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
9.4.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Tacos! @9.4    6 years ago
if it wasn't important at the time, why did the astronauts plant the flag in the first place?

Perhaps those who didn't witness the USA's space accomplishments during the Cold War in real time can't understand or appreciate the importance, because no one taught them about Eisenhower's and JFK's Space Race with the USSR.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
9.4.2  Skrekk  replied to  Jasper2529 @9.4.1    6 years ago

[Removed

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
9.4.3  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Skrekk @9.4.2    6 years ago

Do NOT derail my seed with NAZI references as a way to equate the USA to NAZI GERMANY!! What a despicable thing to do!!!

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
9.4.4  Skrekk  replied to  Jasper2529 @9.4.3    6 years ago

OK, well surely you'd support showing a German flag to show that NASA technology is largely the product of German technology, right?    It seems rather arrogant for the US not to give credit where credit is due.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.4.5  Tacos!  replied to  Skrekk @9.4.4    6 years ago
OK, well surely you'd support showing a German flag to show that NASA technology is largely the product of German technology, right?

America is a collection of people from all over the world. Your heritage and ancestry might be something else, but when you come here, you're American. At least that's the way it's supposed to be. Therefore the American flag is the appropriate one.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
9.4.6  Skrekk  replied to  Tacos! @9.4.5    6 years ago
America is a collection of people from all over the world.

Seems rather dishonest for America to try to take credit for technologies which were largely invented by German rocket scientists who were the product of the German educational system.    America simply doesn't value smarts like that anymore......instead our GOP leaders prize the uneducated folks who vote for them and the GOP does its best to make a good education unaffordable.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.4.7  Tacos!  replied to  Skrekk @9.4.6    6 years ago
Seems rather dishonest for America to try to take credit for technologies which were largely invented by German rocket scientists who were the product of the German educational system

It takes a village. I don't see Germany landing anyone on the moon.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
9.4.8  Skrekk  replied to  Tacos! @9.4.7    6 years ago

Apparently the US can't get anyone to the moon without the help of Russian rockets today.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
9.4.9  arkpdx  replied to  Skrekk @9.4.8    6 years ago

So do tell. Who are these Americans that have gone to the moon on Russian rockets? For that matter name a Russian that has gone to the moon. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
9.4.10  Skrekk  replied to  arkpdx @9.4.9    6 years ago
So do tell. Who are these Americans that have gone to the moon on Russian rockets?

Pretty much all manned NASA launches these days use Russian rockets....that's how we get to the space station.    We couldn't lift ourselves off the ground with our own bootstraps.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.4.11  Tacos!  replied to  Skrekk @9.4.8    6 years ago
Apparently the US can't get anyone to the moon without the help of Russian rockets today.

You know that the US isn't sending anyone to the moon, today, right?

We use little Russian rockets to get to the International Space Station. Sending a mission to the moon requires way more payload capacity and so far, no rocket has exceeded the capabilities of the old Saturn V rocket that actually did take men to the moon - not even the latest SpaceX rocket.

Next year, NASA is scheduled to unveil its Space Launch System (SLS) rocket. That rocket is being designed to have the capability of taking men to Mars. No Russians required.

Iamak47
Freshman Silent
9.4.12  Iamak47  replied to  Skrekk @9.4.8    6 years ago

No bucks, no Buck Rogers.

NASA budget 1966- 4.4% of federal budget

NASA budget 2013- .49% of federal budget

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
9.4.13  arkpdx  replied to  Skrekk @9.4.10    6 years ago

Again you said that we could not get to the moon without Russian rockets. Prove your statement. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.4.14  XXJefferson51  replied to  arkpdx @9.4.13    6 years ago

We did and we could again.  Do some think we forgot how to build a Saturn V?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
10  Tacos!    6 years ago

Maybe if you're Canadian - or under 45 or 50 years of age, you just don't get it. What do they call it when you try to portray or adopt a culture you don't understand? Oh yeah! Cultural Appropriation. I thought that was offensive, but I guess it's only so for some people and not others.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
10.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Tacos! @10    6 years ago

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
10.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @10    6 years ago

Okay?

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
11  Rmando    6 years ago

What's sad is that if Armstrong planted the flag and then took a knee in front of it liberals would've thought it was brilliant.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
11.1  arkpdx  replied to  Rmando @11    6 years ago

No they would have wanted him fired immediately. They would have complained that he was a government employee and was praying on government time endorsing religion. 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
11.1.1  Rmando  replied to  arkpdx @11.1    6 years ago

Oh yeah. I didn't think of that.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
11.1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Rmando @11.1.1    6 years ago

They must have absolutely hated it when our first astronauts made it into space and upon looking down on our earth they read Genesis One outloud on then world wide tv and radio.  That was awesome!  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
11.1.3  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  arkpdx @11.1    6 years ago

Apollo 8, Christmas Eve 1968.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11.1.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  arkpdx @11.1    6 years ago
No they would have wanted him fired immediately. They would have complained that he was a government employee and was praying on government time endorsing religion. 

I wouldn't have cared. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11.1.5  Thrawn 31  replied to  XXJefferson51 @11.1.2    6 years ago

Good poetry is good poetry. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
11.1.6  XXJefferson51  replied to  Jasper2529 @11.1.3    6 years ago

In today’s NewsTalkers seeding that would be deleted or locked for “proselytizing”.  It was a great moment in American history though just as the planing of our flag on our moon was.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Rmando @11    6 years ago
What's sad is that if Armstrong planted the flag and then took a knee in front of it liberals would've thought it was brilliant.

Um, are you suggesting that we don't love him for what he did? For his achievement? For what he represented to the Human Race? Pretty dumb ass take. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
11.2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Thrawn 31 @11.2    6 years ago

The question is do you all love him for what he accomplished for America as a crowning American achievement done by America and Americans?  

GregTx
Professor Guide
12  GregTx    6 years ago

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
13  seeder  Jasper2529    6 years ago

Buzz Aldrin was the second American to step onto the moon. He and Armstrong planted the US Flag. Here's his take on the movie:

Buzz Aldrin slams 'First Man' movie controversy, posts photos of US flag on moon with 'Proud to be American' hashtag

In previous posts Saturday, Aldrin shared photos of himself wearing a T-shirt with the tagline “Buzz Aldrin, Future Martian” that shows an astronaut planting the American flag on the Red Planet.

He also retweeted a photo of himself saluting while standing next to an enlarged photo from the Apollo 11 mission that includes the flag on the moon.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
14  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

I didn’t watch the Superman movie where he omitted “the America way” from his line and I won’t watch this movie where they omit the American flag either.  Both are clearly political statements on the movie makers parts and my statement is not to show up for it.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
14.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  XXJefferson51 @14    6 years ago
I didn’t watch the Superman movie where he omitted “the America way” from his line

That is fucking stupid. What Superman movie are you talking about, and you seriously won't go see a movie if it doesn't suck Uncle Sam's dick in some way? 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
15  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

Just show it man, make it be historically accurate. 

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
16  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    6 years ago

I have a feeling there are some of our winger friends on this seed right now who could very well have been part of that "moon landing was faked" movement.  What makes me think that?  Well, this, for one:

One of the early promoters of the moon landing conspiracy theory was the Fox television network, which, in 2001, aired a documentary-style film titled  Conspiracy Theory: Did We Land on the Moon? . It claimed that NASA faked the first landing in 1969 to win the  Space Race . The film presented “evidence” of deception including photos showing  no stars  in the lunar sky and  American flags rippling  on the moon, despite the fact there’s no air or wind. It showed  photograph and film oddities . It presented what’s become one of the most enduring claims by hoaxers: that astronauts could not have passed through the  Van Allen radiation belts , in order to get to the moon.