╌>

HE’S BACK! Obama refers to himself 102 times during 64-minute speech

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jasper2529  •  6 years ago  •  52 comments

HE’S BACK! Obama refers to himself 102 times during 64-minute speech

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Former President Barack Obama visited The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Friday to accept the school’s ethics in government award, and to offer his take on “the state of our democracy.”

And while Obama found plenty of time to denigrate Republicans for allegedly stoking fear during these “dangerous” and “extraordinary times,” he also dedicated a lot of his speech to patting himself on the back for everything from the improving economy to supposedly helping to heal the country’s racial divisions.

All told, the former president referred to himself – I, My, Me – more than 102 times in about 64 minutes, while simultaneously engaging in the type political pot shots he criticized Republicans for.

Obama’s favorite word seemed to be “I,” which he repeated at least 87 times, followed by more than a dozen references to “my” or “me.”

“By the time I left office, household income was near its all-time high, and the uninsured rate had hit an all-time low, and wages were rising, and poverty rates were falling. I mention all this just so when you hear how great the economy is doing right now, let’s just remember when this recovery started,” Obama told students.

The 44thpresident accused Trump and his supporters of exploiting the public’s fears to wrest control, power and money from everyday Americans, while seemingly stoking fears over what continued GOP control of government would mean for America.

The speech, designed to mark Obama’s return to politics and kickstart his midterm campaign for Democrats, touched on how congressional Republicans are allegedly “unwilling to find the backbone to safeguard the institutions that make our democracy work,” while “bending over backwards to protect Trump.”

Obama suggested the rich and powerful are conspiring against the little people, and the only way to make it better is to vote for politicians like himself who gallantly fight for what’s right, and just.

Video of Obama's full speech is in the article.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Jasper2529    6 years ago
“Sometimes the backlash comes from people who are genuinely, if wrongly, fearful of change,” Obama said. “More often it is manufactured by the powerful, the privileged, who want to keep us divided and keep us angry and keep us cynical. Because that helps them maintain the status quo, keep their power, keep their privilege. “You happen to be coming of age during one of those moments. It did not start with Donald Trump. He is a symptom, not the cause. He’s just capitalizing on resentments that politicians have been fanning for years,” Obama alleged.
He claimed “the policies of resentment and paranoia has unfortunately found a home in the Republican Party.”

Minutes later:

“Don’t tell me your vote doesn’t matter,” Obama said, adding that voters are the “antidote” for Republican sickness allegedly infecting Washington, D.C. “And if you thought elections don’t matter, I hope these last two years have corrected the impression.”

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2  seeder  Jasper2529    6 years ago

Identity politics didn't work in 2016, and it's doubtful that it will work in 2018 and 2020.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3  seeder  Jasper2529    6 years ago

Related:

'One of the Most Divisive Presidents': Bongino Rips Obama for Blasting Trump in Speech

Obama received the Paul H. Douglas Award for Ethics in Government at the University of Illinois on Friday, and the speech marked his return to the campaign trail in an effort to rally Democrats ahead of November's midterm elections.

The former president warned there are "dire" consequences to staying on the sidelines, adding that "powerful and privileged" people want to "keep us angry."

“Just a glance at recent headlines should tell you that this moment really is different, the stakes really are higher, the consequences of any of sitting on the sidelines are more dire,” Obama said.

The solution, of course, is to vote for Democrats, he said.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4  seeder  Jasper2529    6 years ago
Bongino said that hardworking Americans are tired of being talked down to by "elitist goofballs" like Obama.

He referred to a quote in former White House staffer Ben Rhodes' book, "The World as It Is," in which Obama said he wondered whether his presidency was a decade or two too early for Americans.

"We were ready for Barack Obama. Barack Obama wasn't ready for America."

Watch more above.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

Damn, is he trying to challenge Trump? 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5    6 years ago
Damn, is he trying to challenge Trump?

If he could, I've no doubt that he'd try!  Laugh

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6  seeder  Jasper2529    6 years ago

An Obama flashback just for fun ...

President Barack Obama addressed the Democratic National Convention on July 27 to lay out the case for Hillary Clinton as his successor. “In total, we counted 119 times Obama referred to himself during his speech ostensibly about Hillary Clinton.”
While the convention may be Clinton’s coronation, Obama is still on the throne. The president, who won’t leave office until Jan. 20, 2017, referred to himself 119 times during his speech on Wednesday evening.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Jasper2529 @6    6 years ago

So Obama's will always be bigger than Trump's. God that must piss him off lol. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Thrawn 31 @6.1    6 years ago
So Obama's will always be bigger than Trump's. God that must piss him off lol. 

I suggest that you read the 3 articles and watch the accompanying videos before posting irrelevant comments. There's no way that you could have achieved it in the < 10 minutes that you've been commenting.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1.1    6 years ago

Oh no I am not going to bother. Frankly I don't really care about Obama's speech or what he said. I am just here to shit talk fat fuck. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1.3  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Thrawn 31 @6.1.2    6 years ago
Oh no I am not going to bother. Frankly I don't really care about Obama's speech or what he said. I am just here to shit talk fat fuck. 

I appreciate your honesty. Thank you for admitting that your only purpose is to troll my seed and have no intention to contribute in a mature manner.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6.1.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1.3    6 years ago

My pleasure :) I am probably the most honest person around here. 

I really am just killing time til the good college games start. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7  Sean Treacy    6 years ago

102 times in 64 minutes?

Seems low for him. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
7.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Sean Treacy @7    6 years ago
102 times in 64 minutes? Seems low for him. 

Pretty much on track. Here's another example.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    6 years ago

Doesn't that make him a mentally ill narcissist unfit for office and dangerous to democracy? That's certainly the standard they use on Trump.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
9  seeder  Jasper2529    6 years ago
Doesn't that make him a mentally ill narcissist unfit for office and dangerous to democracy?

Yes, and I don't recall anyone having called for the 25th Amendment during those 8 years. Do you?

That's certainly the standard they use on Trump.

Yes again.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.1  Tacos!  replied to  Jasper2529 @9    6 years ago
Yes, and I don't recall anyone having called for the 25th Amendment during those 8 years. Do you?

They didn't even know what it was.

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
10  tomwcraig    6 years ago
Former President Barack Obama visited The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Friday to accept the school’s ethics in government award, and to offer his take on “the state of our democracy.”

Well, so, they gave an Ethics award to an unethical person, or did they forget that he knew that what Hillary was doing with her server and actually communicated through that server using a pseudonym, that he knew about Russian meddling in the election and did nothing to stop it, and weaponized our intelligence and tax agencies against American citizens who were his political opponents?  Do they seriously believe that is Ethical behavior?

EDIT: By the way, evidence is surfacing that the Chinese hacked Hillary's email server and it corresponds to CIA agents in China disappearing.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
10.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  tomwcraig @10    6 years ago

To me, the irony lies in the award's purpose, and you perfectly described it. Reminds me of that bogus Nobel "Peace" Prize, too.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
11  Raven Wing    6 years ago

Obama refers to himself 102 times. So...that's got to be at least 100 times LES that Trump ever refers to himself at any one event, while demeaning and denigrating everyone else. So, what is wrong with others, like Obama, calling Trump out on his OWN faults? 

Biased much against anyone who does so, eh? Like all other human beings, Trump is FAR from perfect, although he and his rabid followers don't think so. However, it is their right to think that, but, it is also the right of others to disagree. And as Trump is so quick to attack and express his own prejudices against others, he is not above having to bear his own faults being confronted by others.

He tends to forget, when he takes a crap, his crap stinks just as much as anyone else's, and sometimes worse. even though he chooses not to think so. 

My OPINION. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
11.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Raven Wing @11    6 years ago

Thank you for sharing your opinion.  peace

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
12  Sunshine    6 years ago

I give Obama credit for the swift economics gains the minute the door hit his ass.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
12.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Sunshine @12    6 years ago

I loved the sustained gains for the majority of his presidency :) 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
12.1.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Thrawn 31 @12.1    6 years ago
I loved the sustained gains for the majority of his presidency

Please list and document what those "sustained gains" were. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
12.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Jasper2529 @12.1.1    6 years ago

Do you seriously think I am going to post my financial information here, or anywhere online? Come on, I thought you were smarter than that

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
12.1.3  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Thrawn 31 @12.1.2    6 years ago
Do you seriously think I am going to post my financial information here, or anywhere online? Come on, I thought you were smarter than that

Where did I ask you for your personal information? That's not what your comment  12.1  inferred or stated, so don't play that game. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
12.1.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  Jasper2529 @12.1.3    6 years ago

[deleted]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
12.1.5  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Thrawn 31 @12.1.4    6 years ago
They were enough for a new house, new cars, and retirement. That is all you need to know. I will not go into any further detail. 

I did NOT ask you for personal details so I suggest that you ask Perrie or a mod to delete your comments    12.1.2   and    12.1.4.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
12.1.6  Thrawn 31  replied to  Jasper2529 @12.1.5    6 years ago

And I did not provide any, so stop shitting yourself. Fuck man, people around here need to relax. 

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
12.1.7  tomwcraig  replied to  Thrawn 31 @12.1.6    6 years ago

So, then explain how your individual success translates to better times for every American, despite the best that Obama did in GDP growth was just 2 quarters in a row of above 2% growth in any fiscal year, with most years having that second period followed by a negative growth quarter?

Dulay
Professor Expert
13  Dulay    6 years ago

Extreme. Questionable source. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
13.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Dulay @13    6 years ago
Extreme. Questionable source. 

Good try, but no prize. If you'd opened the seeded article, you'd have found a video of Obama's full speech. Are you questioning Obama's own words?

Dulay
Professor Expert
13.1.1  Dulay  replied to  Jasper2529 @13.1    6 years ago

It doesn't matter what a questionable extreme source links to. 

You copied and pasted the ARTICLE from the site, NOT Obama's speech. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
13.1.3  Cerenkov  replied to  Dulay @13.1.1    6 years ago

Whoosh...

Dulay
Professor Expert
13.1.4  Dulay  replied to  XDm9mm @13.1.2    6 years ago

Obtuse...

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
13.1.6  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Dulay @13.1.1    6 years ago
You copied and pasted the ARTICLE from the cite, NOT Obama's speech.

In my introduction, I also stated that a video of Obama's full speech is in the article.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
15  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

The article closed for not meeting community standards. You may reseed if you find it from another source. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
15.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @15    6 years ago

A video of Obama's full speech is included in the seeded article; therefore, anyone can verify the article's veracity if they wish. 

In addition, here is a transcript from l eft-win Time   that further proves that my seed is accurate:

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
15.1.1  tomwcraig  replied to  Jasper2529 @15.1    6 years ago

Let's not forget an opinion piece is an opinion piece and not something that can be readily obtained from a separate source.  Anyone with half a brain cell could tell from just the title alone that this piece is an opinion piece and therefore probably only available at the seeded source.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
16  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

I still see nothing wrong in what Obama said, everything in there was the truth.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
17  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

QUESTION TO SEEDER: Did you re-seed this article as per Perrie's directive, or, just unlock it?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
17.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  A. Macarthur @17    6 years ago
QUESTION TO SEEDER: Did you re-seed this article as per Perrie's directive, or, just unlock it?

There's no need to "shout" at me. Yes, I unlocked my seed. Since I had the option to unlock my seed (as shown above the headline), I unlocked it so I could defend myself.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
18  seeder  Jasper2529    6 years ago

Thank you, tomwcraig. You're correct.

I'm fairly certain that this seed was reported/flagged because NT uses Left-wing MediaBias/FactCheck dot com as its "verification" of what is worthwhile.

According to that site, The American Mirror is "extreme right" ...

A questionable source exhibits  one or more  of the following: extreme bias, overt propaganda, poor or no sourcing to credible information and/or is fake news.  Notes: The American Mirror is an online news and opinion website...

As anyone can see, my seeded article DOES source credible information - a video of Obama's FULL SPEECH .

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
18.1  A. Macarthur  replied to  Jasper2529 @18    6 years ago
QUESTION TO SEEDER: Did you re-seed this article as per Perrie's directive, or, just unlock it?

Please answer the question; Perrie is currently unavailable and while you may certainly state your objections, you cannot unilaterally and arbitrarily overrule her.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
18.1.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  A. Macarthur @18.1    6 years ago
QUESTION TO SEEDER: Did you re-seed this article as per Perrie's directive, or, just unlock it
Please answer the question; Perrie is currently unavailable and while you may certainly state your objections, you cannot unilaterally and arbitrarily overrule her.

Please see 17.1. What's the problem?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
18.1.2  A. Macarthur  replied to  Jasper2529 @18.1.1    6 years ago

The problem is as previously stated …

" … you may certainly state your objections, you cannot unilaterally and arbitrarily overrule her."

And because someone once arbitrarily decided that ALL CAPS is the equivalent to "shouting," does not negate the centuries of print media usage of various font styles for emphasis.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
19  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Please LOCK the seed until Perrie can respond to your objection.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
20  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Last request. Please re-lock the seed or I will.