╌>

Photo Essay - A day trip to share with you.

Category:  Photography & Art

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  6 years ago  •  8 comments

"In Xanadu did Kubla Khan A stately pleasure-dome decree: Where Alph, the sacred river, ran Through caverns measureless to man Down to a sunless sea. (Samuel Taylor Coleridge)

This photo essay was posted on the Creative Arts group more than two years ago, so I assume not many have seen it. I have now re-edited the photos.  On this day trip I took so many photos I’m going to divide this photo essay. The first part that I’m posting today is more about the city beside where the most magnificent park I had up until that time visited in China is located, and continues with the entrance to the park, and also the concession walkways that service the tourists. Next article will start our tour through the park gardens themselves. Sichuan Province and the Chengdu City area have some of the most interesting and attractive places I have seen in China.

1. After an hour and a half drive we arrived around noon and stopped for lunch. This statue was across the road from where we ate.

day trip 1.jpg

2. Some artwork next to the restaurant.

day trip 2.jpg

3. At the store next door they made small signs. I have to share my amusement about the "Moral Office" signs with you.

day trip 3.jpg

4. Many of the buildings in this city use a very traditional form of architecture, which is in pretty stark contrast with the cars in China, most of which are fairly new models.

day trip 4.jpg

5. This is the entrance to a bridge that crosses a river, and leads to a tourist concessions area. I have posted other photos of this a few times.

day trip 5.jpg

6. Greeting us in the entrance is a person acting as the "Monkey King", one of the most famous figures in China, known as Sun Wukong - the main character of China's most famous novel, "Journey to the West", written in the 16th century, and read by virtually every Chinese person, and by me as well - all 2300 pages in 4 volumes. There are movies and TV shows of the story of the novel. Panda is on his way to greet people as well.  As I've said previously, you should always look up at the incredibly decorated ceilings in Chinese structures.

day trip 6.jpg

7. This is the only "selfie" I have ever taken. I couldn't help myself. Don't start asking "Which one is the monkey" please.

day trip 7.jpg

8. The bridge crosses this river.

day trip 8.jpg

9. Then walking to the other side of the bridge I tripped and fell and my camera almost flipped into the river.

day trip 9.jpg

10. One part of the concession walkways.

day trip 10.jpg

11. And another - note the meat hanging outside a restaurant. The Fujifilm sign seemed a little strange since hardly anyone uses camera film any more.

day trip 11.jpg

12. This plaque describes the ancient city walls.  Note the sculptured artwork imposed upon them, as shown in the two photos following.

day trip 12.jpg

day trip 13.jpg

day trip 14.jpg

15. A typical store on the walkways.

day trip 15.jpg Scroll

16. A place to get a snack.

day trip 16.jpg

17. A fishy solution for tired feet. Take off your shoes and socks and soak your feet in warm water while being tickled by the minnows.

day trip 17.jpg

18. Sichuan Province is where the Panda Bears live, so there will always be a Panda Bear store.

day trip 18.jpg

19. In the distance a multi-storied pagoda up on a hill.

day trip 19.jpg

20. The box office for entering the park itself. Anyone over 70 is either free or pays no more than the equivalent of one US dollar for entrance, which is one benefit I enjoy at these places.

day trip 20.jpg

Next photo essay will be of the magnificent park gardens. Stay tuned.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

If you liked that, just wait till you see the garden park, coming next.

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
3  Uptownchick    6 years ago

As always, fascinatingly beautiful. Waiting for the next installment. Clapping

TTGA
Professor Silent
4  TTGA    6 years ago
18. Sichuan Province is where the Panda Bears live, so there will always be a Panda Bear store.

And maybe a lot more than that.  Look at what Disney did with nothing more than a mouse.  Great stuff Buzz.

Don't start asking "Which one is the monkey" please.

The monkey part is easy to tell, but that picture gave you a unique experience Buzz.  Since the monkey is from the 16th Century, for the first time in a long time, you get to be the youngest guy in a group picture.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TTGA @4    6 years ago

LOL   The youngest person in a group picture - that is SO tru e.

zuksam
Junior Silent
5  zuksam    6 years ago

I'm really intrigued by 13 and 14, I like the 3d effect of the mix of painting and sculpture done in black and white.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  zuksam @5    6 years ago

The sculpturing makes it 3D.

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    6 years ago

another good one

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
7  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

As always, well done … great subject matter, unique, highly interesting!