╌>

Our Dogs Give More Than They Take

Category:  Pets & Animals

By:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  65 comments

Our Dogs Give More Than They Take

The life of our pet dogs has sometimes reminded me of the line from the play "I have depended on the kindness of strangers".  For that is what our dogs do. When they come to us they don't know us, but they almost universally accept that we will take care of them. Pet dogs, especially in the city, don't hunt, they don't work, they don't offer brilliant opinions, or tell jokes (although they can perform funny antics). They really just perform one function for the most part, but is an indispensable function. They allow us to take care of them and they give us unconditional companionship and friendship. It is a well known theme, the dog waiting for the owner to come home, and wagging his tail and jumping for joy when the minute arrives. Dogs are often happy when you feed them, and happy when you open the back door and let them out in the yard, or show them the leash which means they are going for a walk to the park. They are happy to chase a tennis ball across the room, or to run around in circles with a bunch of little kids. Pet dogs are never in a bad mood, they just fulfill their role, which is to be taken care of and to make their human families happy to do it. 

My dog Dugan passed on today. He was 13 years, 10 months old, and he was a great dog.  And the nice part is that every one of us that owns or has owned a pet dog could likely say the same thing. 

DUGAN - Corgi mix

e4807fee2b3ed0dc6f311bdc785fb67d.jpg

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
1  Colour Me Free    6 years ago

Hugs John  .. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Colour Me Free @1    6 years ago

Ditto, John

Condolences & a hug.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Split Personality @1.1    6 years ago

thank you

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Colour Me Free @1    6 years ago

thank you

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

I am so sorry for the loss of your pup, Dugan. Our pets can bring us great joy, but the hardest part is saying goodbye. I have had to say goodbye to several pets. It never gets easier, since each one is special. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    6 years ago

thank you

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3  Dean Moriarty    6 years ago

Sorry to hear the bad news. Not many dogs make it past 13. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3    6 years ago

thank you

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  author  JohnRussell    6 years ago

In almost 14 years Dugan never once acted up or behaved poorly. Never snapped at a kid or anyone else. Kids loved him because of his size. He wasn't really small, but he wasn't big either. he was a big small dog, I guess you could say, which attracted kids to him because he was big enough to play with but small enough that no one had to be afraid of him, not even a toddler. He had a perfect disposition. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     6 years ago

''Dogs give more than they take''....Without a doubt. 

Sorry to hear of Dugan passing. Over the years I've had to say goodbye to many of my dog buddies. Each one I remember well and with a great deal of fondness.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @5    6 years ago

thank you

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  author  JohnRussell    6 years ago

thank you for your kind thoughts everyone

KatPen
Freshman Silent
8  KatPen    6 years ago

So sorry for your loss.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  KatPen @8    6 years ago

thank you

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
9  Greg Jones    6 years ago

Just about all of us have experienced the loss of a pet...perhaps multiple times as we have grown. Give yourself some time to deal with the loss, and if your situation allows, go to a shelter and adopt another furry friend, taking time to find a good fit for your and your family.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @9    6 years ago

thank you

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
10  arkpdx    6 years ago

Dogs give us more than we could ever repay them. They give their all and ask for little in return by comparison. 

We rarely agree on anything John but do please accept my deepest condolences for your loss. Dugan will be with you always and will be loyally waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  arkpdx @10    6 years ago

thank you

GregTx
PhD Guide
11  GregTx    6 years ago

My condolences on the loss of your companion.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  GregTx @11    6 years ago

thank you

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12  author  JohnRussell    6 years ago

thank you

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13  author  JohnRussell    6 years ago

thank you to everyone for your kind words, it means a lot to me

charger 383
Professor Silent
14  charger 383    6 years ago

Charger and dogs Athena and Bo IV send condolences 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
14.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  charger 383 @14    6 years ago

thank you

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
15  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    6 years ago

Oh, John, I'm so sorry.  Why didn't you tell me?  You let me yammer on about vast amounts of stupid crap and you never said a word.  

Know that someone in Irving, TX is thinking about you as you mourn the loss of precious Dugan.

And you are right:  Dogs give more than they take.  My dogs, Bella (16), Max (15), and Sophie (10), prove it every day.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
15.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @15    6 years ago

thank you

PJ
Masters Quiet
16  PJ    6 years ago

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.” – Roger Caras

John - I am sorry to hear that Dugan has passed.   My sincere condolences.   

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
16.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  PJ @16    6 years ago

thank you

Kavika
Professor Principal
17  Kavika     6 years ago

1355418584-Q14.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
18  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Our Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier was with us for 17 years. I guess we were lucky. She never wanted to miss a boat ride.

cottage 3.jpg

By the way, you can be sure that I know how you feel, and I give you my condolences on your loss.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
19  lady in black    6 years ago

John, sorry for the loss of your precious Dugan.  Shadow and I send our condolences.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
19.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  lady in black @19    6 years ago

thank you

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
20  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

Hugs, John.  I'm sorry for your loss.  We don't deserve dogs.  We're lucky they still love us, anyway.

devangelical
Professor Principal
21  devangelical    6 years ago

Our pets teach us unconditional love when they're with us and how to handle grief when they leave us. Contact the rescue organization of that breed when you're ready, and continue your life journey with a new furry friend that will  appreciate your generous decision.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
21.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  devangelical @21    6 years ago

thank you

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
22  Studiusbagus    6 years ago

John, my heart goes out to you. For each I have lost has a special place rent free in me. I laugh or cry each time I open one of their "files". 

I wish you the best and warmest recovery from those around you. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
22.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Studiusbagus @22    6 years ago

thank you

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
23  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

John, I'm sorry to hear about Dugan moving on but, I know he found a friend who will show him what it's like on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge. My dog Jack was a great friend to all small dogs and, he loved to play all kinds of dog games, including plowing through snow drifts with his nose, (he was a German Shepherd/Malamute mix) and, had a white clownish face, I'm sure Jack was waiting for him to arrive, he was always a great greeter when we went to the dog parks. I know that isn't much comfort but, maybe this will be, we keep a part of our pets inside of us, our memory's of them, sitting here writing this I see Jack in my mind playing at all the truckstops we visited and, at the dog parks we visited, I even see the time he thought he would chase after some goats and, the result when he met the billy in the pen, I still see him running to me with a look of pure joy on his face and, his butt tucked under him as he ran from the goat.

Keep those kinds of memory's and, Dugan will be with you forever. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
23.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @23    6 years ago

I used to get out my bicycle and hook the dog's leash around one of the handlebars, and we would go for a run. Well, I would ride and he would run. Two, maybe three miles. He really loved to run when he was younger. 

When he saw me bring the bike into view, and he had the leash on , he would spin himself in circles out of excitement.  No doubt dogs and other pets give us a lot of enjoyment. 

Thanks for the kind words. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
23.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  JohnRussell @23.1    6 years ago

LOL, he sounds like he was a lot of fun.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
24  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

I'm so sorry, John.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
24.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @24    6 years ago

Thank you. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
24.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @24.1    6 years ago

You're welcome. I wish I had more to say than I'm sorry

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
25  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Sorry to learn of this John.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
25.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  dave-2693993 @25    6 years ago

Thank you. 

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
26  JaneDoe    6 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss John.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
26.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  JaneDoe @26    6 years ago

That is so nice. Thank you. 

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
26.1.1  JaneDoe  replied to  JohnRussell @26.1    6 years ago

You're welcome John. I just lost one of my boys in July so I know how you feel. It sucks!

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
27  Spikegary    6 years ago

Sorry John.  I feel the loss of a dog as a loss of another member of my family.  Please accept my condolences.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
27.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Spikegary @27    6 years ago

thank you. 

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
28  cobaltblue    6 years ago

If the kindest souls were rewarded with the longest lives, dogs would outlive us all. 

The things we could all learn from our dogs: 

• Have a great attitude
  • Greet everyone with enthusiasm
  • Explore everything
  • Loyalty is a virtue
  • Protect those you love
  • Be yourself
  • Love unconditionally

Neither of these are my quotes, but they tug at my heart. I'm so sorry, John. I'm so so so very sorry. Cyberhugs to you, long and tight.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
28.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  cobaltblue @28    6 years ago

That is a wonderful description of our pets. Thank you. 

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
29  cobaltblue    6 years ago

Here's a photo I had printed on a sweatshirt to send to one of my dearest friends, whom I love dearly. I hope it makes you smile. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
29.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  cobaltblue @29    6 years ago

yes.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
29.2  arkpdx  replied to  cobaltblue @29    6 years ago

Made me smile !

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
30  KDMichigan    6 years ago

Sorry for your loss John. I have a spoiled Yorkie right now that is 14 years old. She is in good health but I know that's old for her age. I'll be crushed when she passes.

And Yeah I'm one of them hate people, love all dogs. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
30.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @30    6 years ago

Thank you for the nice sentiment. 

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
32  Uptownchick    6 years ago

So sorry to hear this John. My heart goes out to you. Dugan will always have that special place in your heart.

neverdiestory.jpg

34a1378ae9f14437c091910c6576668b.jpg

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
32.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Uptownchick @32    6 years ago

Thank you Uppy, I agree with that lovely commentary. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
33  1stwarrior    6 years ago

Probably means nothing John, but a short story I'll always have.

Had a beautiful little 15 pound Scotty named Tavish, whom I loved completely - and Tav loved me too.

One day I was outside and a neighbor from down the street came walking by with his 100 pound German Shepard named Prince.  Now, Prince was a very friendly "pup" (1 year old) and would love your hands to death if he got the chance to lick them.  So Prince comes bounding up and starts licking the hell outa my hands and Dave and I hear this long, drawn out "Yelp" and see a black lightening bolt come tearing out of my back yard.  Tav saw that I was being "attacked" by a monster and went straight for Prince's gonads.  Dave and I couldn't stop laughing for 'bout 15 minutes 'cause Prince actually squealed and ran back to his house with Tav behind him.

Corralled Tav, gave him tons of love and affection and took him home - all the while praising him for his warrior spirit.  Prince never came by our house again jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif .

Sadly, a few months later, Tav got hold of some rat poison someone had left outside and developed cancer.  At the ripe old age of 6, we had to put him down.

Even now, 41 years later, I'll get tears in my eyes but feel joy in my heart that Tav decided he was my lifelong protector, savior, friend, sleeping partner, ball thrower, stick finder and companion.

However, I'll never forgive him for chewing my George Harrison "All Things Must Pass" album to shreds.

You were and are blessed John 'cause we all know Dugan is telling all his new friends about his lifelong protector, savior, friend, sleeping partner, ball thrower, stick finder and companion - you John - You.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
33.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  1stwarrior @33    6 years ago

Thank you and that was a nice story.