╌>

While attacking Kavanaugh, the Senator sponsors legislation letting juveniles off the hook.

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  it-is-me  •  6 years ago  •  19 comments

While attacking Kavanaugh, the Senator sponsors legislation letting juveniles off the hook.
As it happens, Senator Booker is a sponsor of something called the REDEEM Act — with the GOP’s Senator Rand Paul.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

As the world knows, Judge Kavanaugh, 17 years old at the time, is being accused of assaulting a 15-year-old Christine Blasey (now Ford) when both were in high school. Blasey did not report the incident to authorities or apparently anyone else at the time. Thus, no charges were filed much less was Kavanaugh prosecuted. Again, if the charges are true — and there is zero evidence that is the case, not to mention that Kavanaugh not only denies the incident but also that he was even at the party in question — true high schooler Kavanaugh was 17 years old at the time.

As it happens, Senator Booker is a sponsor of something called the REDEEM Act — with the GOP’s Senator Rand Paul. The proposed legislation centers on expunging the records of juveniles convicted of non-violent crimes, thus ensuring some teenage mistake does not follow them for a lifetime. While what Kavanaugh is accused of presumably would be classified as “violent,” again, he was never charged much less prosecuted for this.

But in an explanation of his concern for teenagers who get in trouble, as here at the Senator’s website, Booker says this, bold print supplied:

"Studies of youth brain development have found that the decision-making functions of the brain do not fully develop until much later than was previously believed to be the case. Despite this, some states still try 17-, and even 16,-year-olds as adults by default. The REDEEM Act incentivizes states to establish 18 years old as a floor for original jurisdiction by adult criminal courts by allowing preference to be given to Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) grant applications that originate from states that have enacted similar or stronger provisions."

In other words? If one assumes that Christine Ford’s account is accurate, it happened for one reason — the reason that no less than Cory Booker himself has — truthfully — asserted.

Again, that is this:

"Studies of youth brain development have found that the decision-making functions of the brain do not fully develop until much later than was previously believed to be the case. Despite this, some states still try 17-, and even 16,-year-olds as adults by default."

In other words? The activities of a 17-year-old Brett Kavanaugh, not to mention 15-year-old Christine Blasey, were the result of immature teenagers whose “decision-making functions” were impaired to begin with because they had brains that were not “fully” developed. Not to mention that if Booker is literally sponsoring legislation that would make it the law of the land to seal youthful criminal records, there is no way that Ford’s 36-years later allegation — when no charges were even filed in the day — should be relevant in the first place.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1  seeder  It Is ME    6 years ago

What a dumb shit Booker is....with all this "Blame 17 year Old Kavanaugh" stuff, and he's sponsoring a bill saying 17 year old's are too dumb to know what they are doing. jrSmiley_76_smiley_image.gif

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.1  Skrekk  replied to  It Is ME @1    6 years ago

17 year old rapists usually get prosecuted as adults.    It's a rather serious crime, not a mere error in judgment.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.1  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Skrekk @1.1    6 years ago

Mr. Booker and Mr. Paul don't think so.

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.1.2  zuksam  replied to  Skrekk @1.1    6 years ago
17 year old rapists usually get prosecuted as adults

Not in 1982.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2  Dulay  replied to  It Is ME @1    6 years ago
What a dumb shit Booker is

Actually the 'dumb shit's' are the ones that can't figure out the attempted rape is NOT a 'non-violent crime'. 

Complete FAIL!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.2.1  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Dulay @1.2    6 years ago

The "Dumbshits" are the ones that are willing to instantly convict someone on "Hearsay" !

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Dulay  replied to  It Is ME @1.2.1    6 years ago
The "Dumbshits" are the ones that are willing to instantly convict someone on "Hearsay" !

Hyperbolic.

No one is being 'convicted' for anything, no court of law is involved here. Kavanaugh is applying for promotion to a life time position, he has NO inherent right to that position. Kavanaugh will just go back to his comfy life and his DC judgeship. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.2.3  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Dulay @1.2.2    6 years ago
No one is being 'convicted' for anything

Bullshit.

The Court of "Public opinion", as festered by the Liberal, is the driver here.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.4  Dulay  replied to  It Is ME @1.2.3    6 years ago
Bullshit. The Court of "Public opinion", as festered by the Liberal, is the driver here.

So conservatives can spew whatever the fuck you want in order to influence the 'Court of public opinion', no matter how fallacious, and it's just honky dory. But conservatives demand that 'liberals' provide air tight evidence for any allegations they bring forward. 

It drips with hypocrisy. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.2.5  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Dulay @1.2.4    6 years ago

"So Liberals can spew whatever the fuck you want in order to influence the 'Court of public opinion', no matter how fallacious, and it's just honky dory."

It "Drips" with hypocrisy !

See how that works these days.  jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.6  Dulay  replied to  It Is ME @1.2.5    6 years ago

Yes, I have become used to conservative parroting. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.2.7  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Dulay @1.2.6    6 years ago

None so blind as those that will not see themselves in the mirror.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.8  Dulay  replied to  It Is ME @1.2.7    6 years ago

Another parroted reply.

Get back to me when you have an original thought.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  seeder  It Is ME    6 years ago

SPARTACUS !

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  seeder  It Is ME    6 years ago

How does one blast the days of a 17 year old, then turn around and sponsor something that says 17 year old's aren't responsible for their actions.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

I don't care how old a person is, attempted rape is attempted rape and they are a fucking asshole for life.