╌>

This Japanese probe just took an epic hop on a strange little asteroid

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  6 years ago  •  63 comments

This Japanese probe just took an epic hop on a strange little asteroid
Scientists were surprised by the odd geometric form of asteroid Ryugu

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

After a three-and-a-half-year journey of 2 billion miles, a Japanese space probe last week dropped a pair of hopping, grapefruit-size rovers on an asteroid called Ryugu and began beaming back snapshots from the surface of the bizarre little world.

The feat marked a trio of firsts: First soft landing on an   asteroid , first deployment of rovers in a low-gravity setting, and first close-up look at the sort of celestial object that might have helped seed life on Earth billions of years ago.

The images coming in from the  Hayabusa 2 probe  also afforded another, more personal first: a glimpse of an alien landscape unlike any humans have ever seen.

“I cannot find words to express how happy I am,” Yuichi Tsuda, Hayabusa 2’s project manager,   said in a written statement   just after the landing.

Hayabusa 2 has been slowly building to this moment since its December, 2014 launch. Nudged along by the gentle thrust of its engines, the spacecraft finally   caught up with Ryugu in June and began nestling up to its target   before deploying the rovers.

The half-mile-wide asteroid confounded expectations right from the start.

For one thing, Ryugu has an oddly geometric form, wide in the middle and almost pointy at the poles, and a surprisingly rugged surface. “We had not expected the ‘top-shape’ asteroid before arrival,” Tsuda told NBC News MACH in an email. His colleague, Hayabusa 2 project scientist Sei-ichiro Watanabe, added, “I was surprised at Ryugu's many boulders scattered all over the surface.”

Now that the tiny rovers, called MINERVA II-1a and MINERVA II-1b, are able to have a closer look, the odd asteroid seems even odder. “It looks like some   volcanic lave flow on Earth , like Izu-Ohshima island in Japan or the Big Island in Hawaii,” Watanabe said.

The Hayabusa 2 scientists are excited by the jagged terrain because it offers insights into the asteroid’s violent past. Understanding these small bodies also provides crucial context for  NASA’s OSIRIS-REx probe , currently en route to a similar but slightly smaller asteroid named Bennu.

Read more at the seeded content

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

Space is really the final frontier. When I hear of exploration I can't help myself and get excited, and this is really exciting stuff. This time it's the Japanese with the find. Read on to get the whole story. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

The next mining will be done on asteroids and, comets, it will take a special kind of person or, machine or, both to do it but, I can see it happening. The only question now is, who the heck are they going to find to do it?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to    6 years ago
asteroid mining is a fantasy.

So was going to the moon.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1.4  SteevieGee  replied to    6 years ago

There was a time when a round Earth was a pipe dream.  Of course, to a few who still live in the dark ages, that time is now.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.5  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to    6 years ago

LOL, I really doubt it will happen in my life time as well, I'm already 62 and, it took this probe three years to get to the asteroid just to take pictures of it and, since it took over ten years for us to get to the moon and, we currently have nothing suggesting that we are trying to get men on an asteroid yeah, I really doubt it will happen while I'm alive but, it could happen in my grandkids life time, by the way, he's six.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.1.6  MrFrost  replied to    6 years ago
mining asteroid mining is a fantasy. 

Maybe today it is, but eventually it will happen. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
1.1.8  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    6 years ago

I totally disagree. True deep water mining is far harder than mining on an asteroid or the moon. The pressure along makes it nearly impossible for people to go down there. The Japanese are moving forward with space exploration. They don't do things that are not logical or purposeful. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1.10  Tacos!  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.8    6 years ago
They don't do things that are not logical or purposeful. 

latest?cb=20170430121043

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1.11  Tacos!  replied to    6 years ago
asteroid mining is a fantasy

Yeah, for now (and the foreseeable future) it would be insanely expensive, costing far more than the value of anything we might dig up.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1.12  Tacos!  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.10    6 years ago

The 8 minute mark is brutal.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
1.1.13  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.12    6 years ago

So your point is that they have silly game shows on TV like we do? That is your take away?

It is obvious that you did not read the article. They have found a new propulsion system that is a game changer. 

I don't do discussions with people who don't take the time to read the article. 

bccrane
Freshman Silent
1.1.14  bccrane  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.13    6 years ago

The new propulsion system is a gun.  How many four pound slugs and propellant will they need to mine an asteroid?  How much larger does the rocket need to be to lift that much weight and/or how many?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1.15  Tacos!  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.13    6 years ago

You can relax Perrie. I was joking around. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. If you see my comment further down, you'll realize I very much did read the article. I have no desire to slam the Japanese or space probes.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
1.1.16  Gordy327  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.6    6 years ago

Off planet mining will probably occur on the moon or on Mars, as those are easier to reach and establish operations. But even then, that's probably many years off before we get there. But I think we eventually will.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
1.1.17  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    6 years ago

Don't be condescending. Yes, we do have drills, but it is only good in shallow waters, as in the gulfs. So far, the only thing they have found that is worth bringing up is oil. Deep water drilling, as we know it now, is not happening due to high water pressure. Even in the gulf, pressure is an issue. 

You obviously didn't read the article. If all goes well, this new probe will bring back minerals from the asteroid and neatly drop it in Austrailia.  That is a game changer. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
1.1.18  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.15    6 years ago
You can relax Perrie. I was joking around.

Yes, I saw that Tacos. I guess sometimes the written word has it's limitations. Sorry about that. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
1.1.19  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  bccrane @1.1.14    6 years ago

In prototypes, you don't start big, you start small. This is the first of it's kind with this propulsion system. And what you have to remember is that in space, there is microgravity and so all that has to be achieved is propulsion. The question is can you get a payload and deliver it to earth safely. That is what the Japanese are exploring. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1.20  SteevieGee  replied to    6 years ago
Give me your guess then when we start mining asteroids next week two years my guess is over a hundred probably more.

If you'd read the article you would know that this mission is actually going to mine the asteroid with a small amount it arriving here on Earth in December 2020.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
1.1.23  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    6 years ago

Why would you do that? 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1.24  SteevieGee  replied to    6 years ago

I'll admit that you believed you were right until you read the entire article.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.1.25  MrFrost  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.16    6 years ago
But I think we eventually will.

I completely agree. It may not be in our lifetime, Gordy, but eventually it will happen. I have been watching with great inerest the idea of a space elevator. We really aren't that far off from having one that is feasible and workable. One would change everything regarding mining in space. 

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.1.26  MrFrost  replied to    6 years ago
at this time

That's the key part... Not now, but it will happen. Suppose that's the burden of being a progressive; being able to see past tomorrow, or the next few weeks. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

This is a very cool story.

The photos have been great.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Fascinating story. I found some interesting detail about the Hayabusa 2 module.

Here is some detail about the propulsion systems. Much more information is available at the link.

Propulsion Systems

Like its predecessor, Hayabusa 2 combines a chemical and electrical propulsion system. The spacecraft hosts a bi-propellant chemical propulsion system using Monomethylhydrazine fuel and Nitrogen Tetroxide oxidizer, stored in propellant tanks that are pressurized with high-pressure gas to operate a total of 12 pressure-fed thrusters.

The 12 engines are operated as part of two strings that can be isolated in case of leaks or other problems. The ISAS-20N thrusters deliver a nominal thrust of 20 Newtons at a specific impulse of 290 seconds featuring a film-coating for thruster cooling.

The engines are capable of operating in pulse mode for spacecraft attitude control and in steady-state mode for Cruise Maneuvers and other translational burns. The thrusters also provide de-saturation of the reaction wheels – spinning the wheels down while countering the resulting force with the engines.

Hayabusa 2 will achieve the vast majority of the required change in velocity to travel to and from the asteroid by using its Ion Engine System – IES. Ion thrusters generate thrust by accelerating ions through the use of an electric field and ejecting these ions at extremely high velocity creating thrust force propelling the spacecraft forward. Although ion thrusters deliver a very low thrust, they are extremely efficient and consume only a very small amount of propellant. Through long operation of the thrusters, spacecraft can achieve changes in velocity of several Kilometers per second as demonstrated by Hayabusa 1 (over 2km/s), Deep Space 1 (4.3km/s), and Dawn (over 10km/s).

on thrusters use ions to create thrust in accordance with momentum conservation. The method of ion acceleration varies between the use of Coulomb and Lorentz force, but all designs take advantage of the charge/mass ratio of the ions to create very high velocities with very small potential differences which leads to a reduction of reaction mass that is required but also increases the amount of specific power compared to chemical propulsion.

The thrusters operate by releasing small amounts of Xenon atoms that are then ionized through electron bombardment by using electron cyclotron resonance microwave discharge – a new design that eliminated solid electrodes and associated heaters that were used as part of previous systems. The same microwave generator is used to feed the ion generator and neutralizer which reduces overall mass of the assembly. The neutralizer emits electrons near the exiting ion beam to ensure that equal amounts of positive and negative charge are expelled, thus preventing the spacecraft from gaining an excessive electrical charge that could damage components.

The generated ions are extracted by a dedicated system consisting of electrically charged carbon-carbon grids with primary acceleration of the ions taking place between the first and second acceleration grids. The negative voltage of the accelerator prevents ions from the beam plasma outside the thrusters from streaming back which would decrease the generated thrust. The ejected ions push the spacecraft in the opposite direction according to Newton’s third law.

Hayabusa 2 uses four ion thrusters installed on a single panel of the spacecraft, facing the same direction to be able to combine thrust. Three units are in simultaneous operation, allowing the fourth system to come into play in the event one of the active thrusters fails.

The system is fed from a 51-liter xenon tank that can hold about 73 Kilograms of the gas. Each of the thrusters generates an operational thrust of nearly 10 mN at a specific impulse of 2,800 seconds. During operation, the system needs 250 to 1,200 Watts of electrical power. The entire Ion Thruster Assembly weighs about 70 Kilogram and the thrusters can be gimbaled by +/-5 degrees using an electromechanical system.

Improvements made to the propulsion system from Hayabusa 1 to 2 include a 25% increase in thrust and added mechanisms to prevent plasma ignition malfunctions in the ion source. The neutralizer, that had shown degradation after the first 10,000 hours of operation, was improved by protecting the outer walls from plasma and by strengthening the magnetic field to decrease the applied voltage needed for the emission of electrons. Hayabusa 2’s ion thrusters are planned to operate for over 18,000 hours.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  dave-2693993 @3    6 years ago

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.1    6 years ago

T800 his is Hayabusa 1

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
3.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  dave-2693993 @3.1.1    6 years ago

Nice Ride! 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.1.3  dave-2693993  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.2    6 years ago

Thank you.

It is a Suzuki Hayabusa with an oversize 1430cc engine which runs in a gambler class. When the bikes go through eliminations only winners are declared. No times or speeds are posted and only the rider of each bike gets their personal time sleip.

The spectators bet each other on who will win each run until the nights winner is declared.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
3.1.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  dave-2693993 @3.1.3    6 years ago

Sounds like a lot of fun! You live a full and exciting life! 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.1.5  dave-2693993  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.4    6 years ago

I'm just the engine guy these days in motorsports participation.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1.6  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  dave-2693993 @3.1.1    6 years ago

Sweeet. My brother would love to take it for a spin.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
3.1.7  MrFrost  replied to  dave-2693993 @3.1.1    6 years ago

I actually had the chance to ride one of those, (it was just an off the rack, unmodified version). I have to admit, as a lifelong motorcycle rider, it scared me a little. It's snappy, lots of power....really impressive... Apologies for straying off topic). 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.1.8  dave-2693993  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.1.6    6 years ago

Cool. I am sure he would like it if going in a straight line.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.1.9  dave-2693993  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.7    6 years ago

Hayabusa's are incredible straight line machines.

To be honest, the 2010 ZX10 fits like a glove. Not as much straight line, but well rounded. Roll on the throttle in 3rd and your are star gazing too.

I'd like to try the new H II and like that Kaw brought back the name.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1.10  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  dave-2693993 @3.1.8    6 years ago

I'm pretty sure after the ride you might have to pull the seat out of his backside but, that would be one seventy something guy that would be grinning from ear to ear at the end of the ride.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.1.11  dave-2693993  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.1.10    6 years ago

LOL, he might really like the red bike.

The motor only makes 300hp but has a 350hp n2o kit on top.

The only time the front wheel touches the ground is on gear shift for an instant as the air shifter does it's work on each gear change.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1.12  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  dave-2693993 @3.1.11    6 years ago

Ok, I don't know where you live Dave but, if you happen to see the little guy in this photo, keep an eye on your bikes,

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.1.13  dave-2693993  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.1.12    6 years ago

LOL. Security is on alert right now.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    6 years ago
For the impactor experiment, explosive charges will propel a four-pound slug at Ryugu at more than 4,000 miles an hour. When it hits, the slug will blast away part of the asteroid’s topsoil, exposing fresh material to study. Since the main spacecraft will have to back away from the asteroid in order to protect itself from the blast, it will deploy a free-floating camera called DCAM3 to grab pictures from the moment of attack. That should be quite a sight.

“Touch and go” refers to the ultimate highlight of the Hayabusa 2 mission, when the main craft will lower itself to Ryugu’s surface, scoop up bits of the surface, load them into a canister and then send it back to Earth.

If things proceed as planned, the canister will parachute down over Australia in December 2020.

If they pull all that off, it will be a pretty marvelous feat of engineering. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tacos! @4    6 years ago

Yes, that was my point. This is really an outstanding piece of engineering. Totally unique to anything to anything that has been done before and a total game changer if it works. 

And thank you for reading the article. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @4    6 years ago

One would think most of what we saw in old Buck Rogers shows was science fiction and beyond our capabilities.

That was a marvelous feat of engineering

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @4.2    6 years ago

I watched that one live. I couldn't believe I was seeing a trope of cheesy 50s B sci-fi movies coming to life.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
4.2.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.1    6 years ago

True enough! 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.3  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Tacos! @4    6 years ago

Yeah but, I wonder if the asteroid will get mad at us and, want revenge. jrSmiley_25_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.3.1  Tacos!  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @4.3    6 years ago

It's important to always check the other side of the asteroid before you go mucking about with it.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.3.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Tacos! @4.3.1    6 years ago

See, this is what I'm talking about, don't mess with asteroids, it will always bite ya in the butt. jrSmiley_42_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_23_smiley_image.gif

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.3.3  dave-2693993  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @4.3.2    6 years ago

Dumb asteroids

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.3.4  Split Personality  replied to  dave-2693993 @4.3.3    6 years ago

one of my favorite games, way back when

Gordy327
Professor Guide
4.3.5  Gordy327  replied to  Split Personality @4.3.4    6 years ago

I liked Space Invaders better. jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Missile Command was a good one too.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.3.6  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @4.3.4    6 years ago

When video games came in table tops.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
4.3.7  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tacos! @4.3.6    6 years ago

LMAO so true! 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.3.8  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @4.3.4    6 years ago

this was my favorite,

wore out  too many damned buttons on the standard joy stick.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.3.9  Split Personality  replied to  Gordy327 @4.3.5    6 years ago

Had them all, lol

Gordy327
Professor Guide
4.3.10  Gordy327  replied to  Split Personality @4.3.8    6 years ago

Ah, the good ol' days.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
4.3.11  Gordy327  replied to  Tacos! @4.3.6    6 years ago

And people gathered in arcades with pockets full (soon to be emptied) of quarters.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.3.12  dave-2693993  replied to  Split Personality @4.3.4    6 years ago

Yes indeed.

Friday nights at Martin's on Wisconsin Ave in Bethesda, MD. Beer, Maryland Blue Crabs, and a few games of Asteroids!!!

shhhh, pretty bar maids too...