╌>

I Am an Independent, Impartial Judge

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  6 years ago  •  66 comments

I Am an Independent, Impartial Judge
Yes, I was emotional last Thursday. I hope everyone can understand I was there as a son, husband and dad.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

ED-AX976A_Kanva_P_20181004183107.jpg

I was deeply honored to stand at the White House July 9 with my wife, Ashley, and my daughters, Margaret and Liza, to accept President Trump’s nomination to succeed my former boss and mentor, Justice Anthony Kennedy, on the Supreme Court. My mom, Martha—one of the first women to serve as a Maryland prosecutor and trial judge, and my inspiration to become a lawyer—sat in the audience with my dad, Ed.

That night, I told the American people who I am and what I believe. I talked about my 28-year career as a lawyer, almost all of which has been in public service. I talked about my 12 years as a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, often called the second most important court in the country, and my five years of service in the White House for President George W. Bush. I talked about my long record of advancing and promoting women, including as a judge—a majority of my 48 law clerks have been women—and as a longtime coach of girls’ basketball teams.

As I explained that night, a good judge must be an umpire—a neutral and impartial arbiter who favors no political party, litigant or policy. As Justice Kennedy has stated, judges do not make decisions to reach a preferred result. Judges make decisions because the law and the Constitution compel the result. Over the past 12 years, I have ruled sometimes for the prosecution and sometimes for criminal defendants, sometimes for workers and sometimes for businesses, sometimes for environmentalists and sometimes for coal miners. In each case, I have followed the law. I do not decide cases based on personal or policy preferences. I am not a pro-plaintiff or pro-defendant judge. I am not a pro-prosecution or pro-defense judge. I am a pro-law judge.

As Justice Kennedy showed us, a judge must be independent, not swayed by public pressure. Our independent judiciary is the crown jewel of our constitutional republic. The Supreme Court is the last line of defense for the separation of powers, and for the rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution.

The Supreme Court must never be viewed as a partisan institution. The justices do not sit on opposite sides of an aisle. They do not caucus in separate rooms. As I have said repeatedly, if confirmed to the court, I would be part of a team of nine, committed to deciding cases according to the Constitution and laws of the United States. I would always strive to be a team player.

During the confirmation process, I met with 65 senators and explained my approach to the law. I participated in more than 30 hours of hearings before the Senate Judiciary Committee, and I submitted written answers to nearly 1,300 additional questions. I was grateful for the opportunity.

After all those meetings and after my initial hearing concluded, I was subjected to wrongful and sometimes vicious allegations. My time in high school and college, more than 30 years ago, has been ridiculously distorted. My wife and daughters have faced vile and violent threats.

Against that backdrop, I testified before the Judiciary Committee last Thursday to defend my family, my good name and my lifetime of public service. My hearing testimony was forceful and passionate. That is because I forcefully and passionately denied the allegation against me. At times, my testimony—both in my opening statement and in response to questions—reflected my overwhelming frustration at being wrongly accused, without corroboration, of horrible conduct completely contrary to my record and character. My statement and answers also reflected my deep distress at the unfairness of how this allegation has been handled.

I was very emotional last Thursday, more so than I have ever been. I might have been too emotional at times. I know that my tone was sharp, and I said a few things I should not have said. I hope everyone can understand that I was there as a son, husband and dad. I testified with five people foremost in my mind: my mom, my dad, my wife, and most of all my daughters.

Going forward, you can count on me to be the same kind of judge and person I have been for my entire 28-year legal career: hardworking, even-keeled, open-minded, independent and dedicated to the Constitution and the public good. As a judge, I have always treated colleagues and litigants with the utmost respect. I have been known for my courtesy on and off the bench. I have not changed. I will continue to be the same kind of judge I have been for the last 12 years. And I will continue to contribute to our country as a coach, volunteer, and teacher. Every day I will try to be the best husband, dad, and friend I can be. I will remain optimistic, on the sunrise side of the mountain. I will continue to see the day that is coming, not the day that is gone.

I revere the Constitution. I believe that an independent and impartial judiciary is essential to our constitutional republic. If confirmed by the Senate to serve on the Supreme Court, I will keep an open mind in every case and always strive to preserve the Constitution of the United States and the American rule of law.

Judge Kavanaugh has been nominated as an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.

Appeared in the October 5, 2018, print edition.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    6 years ago

Judge Kavanaugh wrote this op-ed for the Wall Street Journal just minutes ago.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.1  Skrekk  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    6 years ago
Judge Kavanaugh wrote this op-ed for the Wall Street Journal just minutes ago.

Interesting that he neglected to mention that he wrote the rant in his prepared statement the day before he delivered it, so all the things he's apologizing for now weren't made in the heat of the moment.    They were very deliberate rants.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     6 years ago

Thank you for sharing it quickly. I miss a constant news feed.

Honestly at this point I'm almost speechless. I've gotten to that point. 

Good Luck America

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3  MrFrost    6 years ago

He blamed the Clinton's...I mean, seriously? Kavanaugh is many things, impartial isn't one of them. He is clearly not level headed and cool and calm under pressure. He doesn't conduct himself the way a member of the highest the court in the land should. He is more of an unhinged lunatic than a judge.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  MrFrost @3    6 years ago

Is it Kavanaugh or the Senate Democrats who are partisan?   As for cool under pressure, he answered days of pointed & unfair questions from the dems without a problem. He did get upset when unfairly accused and it's a good thing he did, otherwise his nomination would have slipped away. He saved himself that day.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.2.1  MrFrost  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2    6 years ago
unfair questions

Define that? 

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
3.2.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2    6 years ago
He did get upset when unfairly accused and it's a good thing he did, otherwise his nomination would have slipped away.

"Wahhhhhhh!!!! Life is sooooo unFAAAAAAAYYEERRRRRRRR.  We cannnnnnnn'tttttttttt eeeeeeeeven rape girrrrrrrlllllllllsssss anyMOOORRRRReeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
3.2.3  KDMichigan  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @3.2.2    6 years ago
WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup there is going to be a whole lot of that coming from the triggered snowflakes.

They should start saying Justice Kavanaugh right now seeing it was just released he has enough votes. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  MrFrost @3.2.1    6 years ago
Define that? 

Example:  When Kamala Harris asked him if he discussed the Mueller investigation with "somebody', she refuses to name, at a huge law firm with hundreds of lawyers, would be an unfair question. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @3.2.2    6 years ago
We cannnnnnnn'tttttttttt eeeeeeeeven rape girrrrrrrlllllllllsssss anyMOOORRRRReeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

He's not even accused of rape and we have that little thing in the Constitution about due process. Nice goin' though

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.2.6  Skrekk  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.5    6 years ago

Apparently he couldn't manage to rape someone on his own, not even with the help of a friend.    He could only do it when the victim was drugged and he was just one of a number of folks who raped an incapacitated woman.

Heck, that's even more pathetic than what Fat Albert did.    Welcome to the court, Justice Rapist!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @3.2.2    6 years ago

Bart O'kavanaugh is such a whining crying sniveling snot nosed little bitch. It looks like has a herpes eruption on his lower lip 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.8  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Skrekk @3.2.6    6 years ago

That rates 4 pinocchios..

What if somebody accused you of that?

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
3.2.9  Cerenkov  replied to  Tessylo @3.2.7    6 years ago

That's Justice Kavanaugh to you. Because you lost. Again.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.2.10  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Cerenkov @3.2.9    6 years ago
That's Justice Kavanaugh to you. Because you lost. Again.

I think in time you will see that we all have lost.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.11  Tessylo  replied to  Cerenkov @3.2.9    6 years ago

That's Bart Boozer Rapist O'Kavanaugh

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  MrFrost @3    6 years ago
He blamed the Clinton's

No he didn't.

It's amazing how much shit gets made up by those who claim Kavanaugh is dishonest.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.3.1  MrFrost  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.3    6 years ago

Yes he did. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.3.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  MrFrost @3.3.1    6 years ago

Yes he did. 

Not if you understand English.

Given the way things are going, I'm sure the scumbag Avenetti can find a college roommate's friend's cousin's dog sitter who heard that Kavanuagh cursed Clinton while murdering baby koala bears, but in the real world, he did not. You are being deceived by a party that manipulates it's base knowing it never actually pays attention to the allegations they make. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.3.3  Ozzwald  replied to  MrFrost @3.3.1    6 years ago
Yes he did.

Technically, he did not.  He blamed the frenzied left wing because they were upset over the Clinton loss in 2016. 

ALSO , technically it does not make a difference, as his testimony shows him as an unbalanced conspiracy believing nut job.  Which is probably why the other unbalanced conspiracy believing nut job selected him.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.3.4  Skrekk  replied to  Ozzwald @3.3.3    6 years ago
ALSO, technically it does not make a difference, as his testimony shows him as an unbalanced conspiracy believing nut job. 

And note that his irate rant was part of his prepared statement which he wrote the day before.   He had lots of time to deliberate whether that's what he really meant to say.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.3.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ozzwald @3.3.3    6 years ago
echnically, he did not.

By all means , keep arguing reality is just a technicality

IT's such a perfect encapsulation of the wing nuts on the left approach the truth, "Sure he didn't say that, but it's okay to lie and say he did."

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.3.6  Sean Treacy  replied to  Skrekk @3.3.4    6 years ago
e had lots of time to deliberate whether that's what he really meant to say.

The truth. Always a good thing to speak the truth.

And no honest person can claim the left wasn't out to destroy him. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.3.7  Skrekk  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.3.6    6 years ago
Always a good thing to speak the truth.

So was he speaking the truth when he wrote that irate rant or when he apologized for it a few days later?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.3.8  Sean Treacy  replied to  Skrekk @3.3.7    6 years ago
So was he speaking the truth when he wrote that irate rant or when he

Both

Junior Participates
3.3.9  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.3    6 years ago
No he didn't.

The lying POS  most certainly the fuck did and with the certain knowledge that would be a direct hit on the lizard brain of his supporters. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.3.10  Sean Treacy  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @3.3.9    6 years ago
lying POS  most certainly the fuck di

No, the people who claim he blamed the Clintons are lying. They can't back up the false accusation.

Just one of the many, many lies spread by left. 

Sad. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.3.11  Ozzwald  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.3.5    6 years ago
By all means , keep arguing reality is just a technicality

I see you are having problems grasping the English language. Technically = reality.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.3.12  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ozzwald @3.3.11    6 years ago
see you are having problems grasping the English language

Do you really not understand how subject/verb/objects work?

No literate person can read Kavanuagh's statement and claim he "blamed the Clintons."  Whether it's your ignorance of how English works, or just blatant dishonesty, it's sad to see.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.3.13  Ozzwald  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.3.12    6 years ago
No literate person can read Kavanuagh's statement and claim he "blamed the Clintons." 

Apparently you are having issues understanding English again.  I clearly stated in my comment that he DID NOT blame the Clintons, he blamed the "frenzied left wing". Perhaps you should read my comments a little slower, to understand them better.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

A great article and it was spot on 100% correct.  Justice Kavanaugh by this time Saturday night.       

Junior Participates
4.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4    6 years ago
Justice Kavanaugh by this time Saturday night.       

And yet another republican despoiling of that court. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
4.1.1  Cerenkov  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.1    6 years ago

A victory for America. Let the whining continue...

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  Ronin2  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.1    6 years ago

To go along with the three leftist nutjobs defiling the court already. 

Anyone that doesn't believe the court is partisan hasn't been following politics. Of course the left thinks the RBG, Kagan, and Sotomayor are impartial justices.  RBG has made political statements forever; and no talk about impeaching her. Kagan and Sotomayor were selected by Obama because both would protect the PPACA. They were guaranteed rulings in favor of it every time.

At least the right admits there are conservative judges. Of course the right expects them to adhere strictly to the Constitution and law. Which means infringements on the first and second amendments will not be tolerated.

The only reason that the left is pissed is Garland isn't on the court to give it a left wing bent for years to come. It is their on fault for changing Senate rules to pack the courts with as many leftist judges as possible during the Obama administration. Very short sighted thinking on their part. Guess they believed the media tripe they could rule the Senate forever. 

It also doesn't matter who Trump nominated the left was going to put on a circus. If Kavanaugh doesn't get confirmed the left will yell, kick, and scream about not deciding the next nominee until after midterms.  If they lose midterms the same obstruction circus would start again.  If they win they would sit on the nominee until after the next presidential elections in two years.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  Tessylo    6 years ago

If he is named Justice - watch for a YUGE backlash from Republican women, men, Democrats, Liberals, Progressives, Independents.  Even if he isn't named - we won't forget Rump's mocking Mrs. Ford or Bart O'Kavanaugh's unhinged, sniveling, whining PARTIAL PARTISAN rant.  

Bart also perjured himself many, many times.  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
5.1  Cerenkov  replied to  Tessylo @5    6 years ago

Justice Kavanaugh. Savor that. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.2  Ronin2  replied to  Tessylo @5    6 years ago

You have been claiming that forever anyways. All you have to do is get the left out to vote.  That does seem to be the problem doesn't it?

As for the backlash. You don't speak for Republicans (They may hate Trump; bet they hate the Democrats more); men (I am male and an independent. I vote person over party. The left has ensured no Dems will get my vote at mid terms); women (there are conservative women- I am sure they hate the Dems more than Trump as well).  As for the rest- the Republicans wouldn't get their votes anyways).

As for perjury.  The left has 0 room to talk after not impeaching Bill Clinton for perjury. But he had that all important D behind his name.  Oh, that was just about sex during a sexual misconduct trial in a court of law. This is about drinking in high school and college in front of a bunch of hostile Democrats in the Senate judiciary committee. Gasp. The horror!

Guess it was too difficult for the left to argue against Kavanaugh's record. I would have supported their stance then. Anyone that can find a legal work around for enhanced interrogation techniques doesn't deserve to be on the Supreme Court. Instead the left had to take us all through this shit show based on unproven, unsubstantiated, allegations.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  Tessylo    6 years ago

What does him being a son, husband, or dad have to with anything?

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
6.1  Spikegary  replied to  Tessylo @6    6 years ago

If you don't inately understand that, you never will, so there is no use trying to explain it to you.

Who is Bart O'Kavanaugh?  Seems pretty childish, but then again, your inabaility to use the President's name is along that same path of childishness.

Who would not react to the vile accusations and insinuations hurled at him?  I think he handled them well and also showed he was a human being.  I've seen far more people react poorly on this site with far less cause....and yet, those same are leading the mob to burn him at the stake.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Spikegary @6.1    6 years ago

You can't explain it because it has nothing to do with anything.  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
6.1.2  Cerenkov  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.1    6 years ago

[deleted]

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
6.1.3  Cerenkov  replied to  Cerenkov @6.1.2    6 years ago

Moderation taken to a new bizarre level. Sad.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7  Sean Treacy    6 years ago

Of course RBG can take shots at the President  and that's okay....

But defend yourself form charges of leading a high school rape gang, and suddenly you are too partisan. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.1  MrFrost  replied to  Sean Treacy @7    6 years ago
Of course RBG can take shots at the President  and that's okay....

1) Freedom of speech. 

2) She isn't up for nomination. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  MrFrost @7.1    6 years ago
She isn't up for nomination

Cool. So Kavanaugh, once confirmed, can actually say what you made up that he said, and you can't complain about it.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Sean Treacy @7.1.1    6 years ago

The the court is a joke these days. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
7.1.3  Ronin2  replied to  MrFrost @7.1    6 years ago

No she is a Supreme Court Justice. That makes it far worse. I am sure she would be an impartial judge for anything that came before the court concerning Trump./S

Remember the left calling for Justice Alito to be impeached after his "not true" comment during Obama's State of the Union address

That was simply over Obama's criticism of a Supreme Court ruling. Of course it wouldn't have come out if Obama hadn't demanded they be there.

Junior Participates
7.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Sean Treacy @7    6 years ago
Of course RBG can take shots at the President  and that's okay...

He wasn't the "president" then but he's still a faker.  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
7.2.1  Cerenkov  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @7.2    6 years ago

What crap. He was a candidate. She made partisan arguments. By your ridiculous metric, she should be impeached.

The cognitive dissonance on display among the whinging left is amazing.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
7.2.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Cerenkov @7.2.1    6 years ago
What crap. He was a candidate. She made partisan arguments.

I would hardly call noticing that Trump is a piece of shit "partisan". It only takes eyes, ears and a high school level of civics education to see that, no partisanship required. RBG wasn't saying "Trumps a piece of shit because he's now a Republican", she was saying he's a piece of shit because that fact is brutally obvious to anyone with even a smidgen of self respect and intelligence.

Junior Participates
8  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    6 years ago
I hope everyone can understand I was there as a son, husband and dad.

Just as his victim is a daughter, a sister, a wife and a mother.  Go fuck yourself, Brett drunken--slobberin'-blubberin'-POS-asshole-predator Kavananaugh.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
8.1  Skrekk  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @8    6 years ago

Kavananaugh will henceforth be known even by his family as "Justice Rapist."

That's probably a very good lesson for his daughters so they know to avoid drunken and violent assholes.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @8.1    6 years ago

LMFAO!

And what did young men learn from Ford's testimony?

That it is acceptable to some that someone can slander your good name some 30-35 years later without any corroborating evidence or testimony, and that you are guilty of whatever they claim because the woman said so, no other reason necessary.

Pitiful.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Skrekk @8.1    6 years ago
Kavananaugh will henceforth be known even by his family as "Justice Rapist.

the left wing Pizzagate continues.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
8.1.3  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.1    6 years ago
And what did young men learn from Ford's testimony?

Hopefully they learned not to try to rape women or to drug them in order to gang-rape them.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
8.1.4  Cerenkov  replied to  Skrekk @8.1.3    6 years ago

Hopefully young women will learn valuable lessons about bearing false witness.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @8.1.3    6 years ago

Not one person has claimed that Kavanaugh in any way, shape or form drugged Ford. Her faulty memory appears to be of her own doings.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
9  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

All I saw was an overly emotional pussy.