╌>

The Arthur Findlay College - A "Hogwarts for Adults"?

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  6 years ago  •  67 comments

The Arthur Findlay College - A "Hogwarts for Adults"?
The World's Foremost College for the Advancement of Spiritualism and Psychic Sciences

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

(From our "And Now For Something Completely Different" Dept):

The West Wing view of the meadow and Canadian Geese gracing us with their presence.

The Large Lounge

Arthur Findlay College, Stansted Hall, was gifted to the Spiritualists’ National Union by J. Arthur Findlay, MBE, JP, a former Honorary President of the Union, and in accordance with his wishes is administered by the Union as a College for the advancement of Psychic Science.

The College Experience

The Arthur Findlay College offers facilities unequalled anywhere in the world in the Spiritualist movement as a residential centre where students can study Spiritualist philosophy and religious practice, Spiritualist healing and awareness, spiritual and psychic unfolding and kindred disciplines. Courses, lectures and demonstrations are all offered by leading exponents, together with the additional features of a library, museum, lake, magnificent grounds, recreational facilities and full board accommodation.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    6 years ago

The Arthur Findlay College offers facilities unequalled anywhere in the world in the Spiritualist movement as a residential centre where students can study Spiritualist philosophy and religious practice, Spiritualist healing and awareness, spiritual and psychic unfolding and kindred disciplines. Courses, lectures and demonstrations are all offered by leading exponents, together with the additional features of a library, museum, lake, magnificent grounds, recreational facilities and full board accommodation.

The full postal address is: 

Arthur Findlay College, Stansted Hall, Stansted, Essex, CM24 8UD

The nearest railway stations are Stansted Mountfitchet Station ¾ of a mile away or Stansted Airport Railway Station via the Stansted Express train which is 1 mile away.
Trains from London Liverpool Street to Stansted Mountfitchet via the Stansted Express – journey time 35 minutes.

The fare is approximately £28.00 return, tickets can be bought on the day.
Trains from London Liverpool Street to Stansted Mountfitchet via British Rail – journey time 50 minutes

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Krishna @1    6 years ago

Geese instead of Ravens???

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Split Personality @1.1    6 years ago

Geese instead of Ravens???

Good question-- I wonder why? The only explanation I can come up with is that some students in a Wand Technology 101 class just got their wands and were looking for something to practice on.  They saw some Ravens-- decided to practice using their wands-- and turned then into Geese!

(Traditionally I believe wands are often used to turn things into Toads. Why Geese and not Toads? I have no idea!)

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    6 years ago

So why am I posting this?

Well, for starters at this point just about anything that isn't about the juvenile and extremely stupid state of politics todays may be a welcome relief for some here on NT. But perhaps more importantly, while I am generally fairly private (even secretive) about my personal life online--  I am considering another adventure-- I am considering spending some time there in a few months-- taking more courses to further develop my psychic skills, as well as meeting what I'm sure will be some fascinating people from across the globe!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1  TᵢG  replied to  Krishna @2    4 years ago

Did you do this?   If so, what did you discover?

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @2.1    4 years ago
Did you do this?   If so, what did you discover?

Just came across your comment today (I hadn't been following this seed).

Actually for some time I had been thinking of going there for a week to take courses. But I procrastinated.

When I finally decided to go-- as was about to look into admissions, travel arrangements etc-- the Coronavirus hit the U.S. So I decided to wait....

(I do know 2 people who took courses there-- they said it was amazing).

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    6 years ago

ooops!

My bad! 

(I can't believe I actually forgot . . . its bad and wrong to seed something here that isn't about politics!)

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Krishna, at this point you must be well beyond the brochure information about this facility.

Is there a specific goal you expect to gain from this experience.

I have a particular reason for asking this. Not that I am in a financial position to attend such a place.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  dave-2693993 @4    6 years ago
Is there a specific goal you expect to gain from this experience. I have a particular reason for asking this.

I'm wondering what that reason could be? (What my crystal Ball says is that, surprisingly, you might be interested in learning stuff like that. But the Ball has been acting up lately-- I have to call Tech Support!)

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Krishna @4.1    6 years ago
I'm wondering what that reason could be? (What my crystal Ball says is that, surprisingly, you might be interested in learning stuff like that. But the Ball has been acting up lately-- I have to call Tech Support!)

Yes, as a matter of fact, I have an interest in this, though not sure how my interest fits into the various disciplines you have mentioned. I am not really interested in mediums, tarot cards and such.

Though this has opened me to ridicule from at least one esteemed member here, personal experience tells me there is something that allows us to connect another level, such as when my cousin died one his way to Iraq. I hadn't thought about him for years and certainly "knew" he was too old to be playing Army. But, he loved flying SuperCobras and  he loved the adventures of war.

When Iraq II started there was no cause to give even an ounce of consideration to him.

I am laying dead asleep one night and around 3 AM my cousin shouts out my name, LOUDly in my left ear. Of course I woke straight up and looked around in the pitch black room.

I just resigned it to some kind of dream and went back to sleep. around 12 hours at work I get a call from my Mom telling my cousin had died earlier that day, corresponding with when I heard him shout.

You see, he also suffered from the "need for speed" and love of motorcycles. He got an offer to ride a bike in Europe that he couldn't turn down to ride a bike we couldn't get over here. Well, that was his last ride.

The time I heard him shout corresponded with the time he died. There is more to this story, but those details push the story further over the edge.

Then some other experiences involving not only other people but situations as well.

I am not interested in studying "mystic' things, but from a science perspective, if possible.

So, yes, I am convinced there is something beyond the physical. What it is, no idea.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  dave-2693993 @4.1.1    6 years ago
Yes, as a matter of fact, I have an interest in this, though not sure how my interest fits into the various disciplines you have mentioned. I am not really interested in mediums, tarot cards and such.

Well, in this area, just as in many other more conventionally accepted areas, there are those who are genuine and who have a sincere interest in discovering the facts, those who sincerely interested in helping people-- and those who are outright charlatans. (Have you ever seen those store-front "Psychics"? They claim to have great powers. In all or almost all cases they are frauds-- con artists who take advantage of people with problems to con them out of large sums of money-- avoid them!)

That being said, there are reputable practitioners . . .

As to Tarot, Ouiji Boards, tea leaf readings, Crystal balls, Runes, Past life regressions, chanellers of spirits, Dowsers, Psychometry, Chakra readings, Aura Readings, etc, etc: in and of themselves they are not an indication of whether the reader is genuine of a con artist-- or even whether they are good at what they do or are not. All of these are just tools used by different practitioners of what I call doing a "Psychic Readings". i.e. getting information by sense beyond the usual 5. (Some people use the term "ESP"-- Extra Sensory Perception"...or the term "Sixth Sense"). 

Which particular tool a psychic uses is, in and of itself, not an indication of how honest-- and how good at their profession-- someone is. 

And some psychic readers don't use any paraphrenalia-- they just sit across for the subject, "tune in", and start speaking.

Though this has opened me to ridicule from at least one esteemed member here, personal experience tells me there is something that allows us to connect another level . . . 

Well, most people are highly superstitious-- they criticize what they don't understand. 

And one of the things I've noticed over the years-- just because someone has not experienced something, often they therefore assume it doesn't exist. (Which is a form of superstitious behaviour-- certainly a logical fallacy).

Perhaps Shakespeare said it best:

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, 
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. 
Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  dave-2693993 @4.1.1    6 years ago
When Iraq II started there was no cause to give even an ounce of consideration to him.

I am laying dead asleep one night and around 3 AM my cousin shouts out my name, LOUDly in my left ear. Of course I woke straight up and looked around in the pitch black room.

I just resigned it to some kind of dream and went back to sleep. around 12 hours at work I get a call from my Mom telling my cousin had died earlier that day, corresponding with when I heard him shout.

I have heard of many, many peoples' personal experiences like that. 

These things are sometimes called ESP-- or a fancier word: "paranormal". 

. . . denoting events or phenomena such as telekinesis or clairvoyance that are beyond the scope of normal scientific understanding.

"a mystic who can prove he has paranormal powers"
Technically you experienced two paranormal phenomena:
1. Clairaudience - this is a psychic input via hearing something. You heard him shout. (There are other "clairs" such clairvoyance which is a psychic communication by seeing something instead of hearing it).
2. Precognition: Some psychics will tell you what's really going on with you now. OTOH, what you experienced is called precognition. The prefix pre means before, and cognition means knowing. So what you experienced is is a paranormal phenomenon that is knowing about an event before it happened. (This is more common than many people realize).

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  dave-2693993 @4.1.1    6 years ago

I am not interested in studying "mystic' things, but from a science perspective, if possible.

So, yes, I am convinced there is something beyond the physical. What it is, no idea.

Well, I have a very good idea :-) (I became interested in these sorts of things way back..in High School! Then I got away from it until 1982 or so-- and have been studying this ever since-- so that's over 35 years! In that time I have learned and directlyexperienced that there exists...well let's just call it "other fimensions of consciosness" than most people realize. And the are alternative realities that most people at least in the west, are not aware of. 

Its all aboutnenergy...subtle energies-- and the nature of the Universe (part of it is explained by Quantum Physics I believe-- things that were explained by ancinet Hindu beliefs long ago). But I digress... :^)

I think of "mystic" as meaning knowing something by "paranormal" means. perhaps knowing something not by conventional means of learning (taking a class, reading a book, etc) but by direct experience. And its something most people would deny is real. 

IMO, I would call your experience a "mystical" experience. But for many people, mystic has a negative connotation, so its probably best not to use it.

(When I hear the word "mystical", the word "mysterious" comes to mind-- perhaps this is a more "politically correct" word to use).

So its definitely "Paranormal"-- using a "sixth sense". I Mo its indeed mystical-- but I won't argue the point. 

Now the question is-- what to do about it. How to best understand what you experienced....????

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.1.5  dave-2693993  replied to  Krishna @4.1.4    6 years ago
Now the question is-- what to do about it. How to best understand what you experienced....????

I never thought of it as pre-cognition, more like the instant in time.

There is more to the story that will drive it further off the table.

Though I do have these pre-cognition things that happen and they are never good.

Then I have this series of wonderful dreams that are like sessions. Since meeting Julia, I rarely have them and that was discussed in one of the dreams.

I meet with 3 beautiful young women. Julia and Irina have conditioned me to call women "girls". So I will call them girls.

The dreams take place in various post WWII time frames. The girls are always dressed in early '50s post war European styled dresses and or skirts and blouses. Very pretty.

There are 3 of them. Always the same. We take walks along or through parks, river or canal walks or city centers.

It is as if  we are real people dreaming together. We meet and greet. We talk about what we are doing in our real lives. When we are finished, away goes the dream until next time.

Since I met Julia we decided I shouldn't meet as often and we don't.

I don't know, but I do like those dreams.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  dave-2693993 @4.1.5    6 years ago
I never thought of it as pre-cognition, more like the instant in time.

Though I do have these pre-cognition things that happen and they are never good.

[...)

It is as if  we are real people dreaming together. We meet and greet. We talk about what we are doing in our real lives. When we are finished, away goes the dream until next time.

Since I met Julia we decided I shouldn't meet as often and we don't.

I don't know, but I do like those dreams.

Well, for starters, its nice to hear that those experiences are sometimes negative and sometimes positive. (I don't what we should call them? Mystical? Paranormal? Whatever words you like are OK with me).

These types of experiences are not unique to you-- in fact they are more common then you might realize. I'm fine with you referring to these as "a moment in time". However I should mention that these sorts of experiences have been studied in great depth-- over many years. I refer to them as "precognition" (learning of an event before it occurs. "pre" means "before"). because that's the commonly used term used by people who study the matter.

Incidentally there's a type of precognitive (Knowing about an event before it occurs) experience that is more common (albeit less dramatic) than the one you had. Its this: The phone rings. The person who is about to take the call suddenly has thoughts that it is a person they haven't spoken to in years-- someone who they hadn't even thought of in years! But then they pickup the phone, and it is that person! That's a classic case of "precognition".

I will talk about the other (positive) situations in next comment. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.7  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.1.6    6 years ago
I will talk about the other (positive) situations in next comment.

Before I begin, I must say that its apparent to me that you have a unique gift. For lack of a better word, I'll call it "psychic abilities". And I could be wrong, but it also seems to me that while these events just seem to "happen to you"-- if you do indeed have these abilities, while you are not aware of it, you can learn to control them-- for instance generate one of these experiences when you choose to, Also, develop your psychic abilities to experience things other than negative precognitions and other than just enjoying the company of the 3 girls. 

I seeded the article about this school because it sounded interesting. However you cam learn skills like those they teach in many places in the U.S.-- no need to traverl to the U.K. (Well, perhaps they are unusually good in one area-- Mediumship. But that is taught in the U.S. as well)

BTW by any chance do your know your Astrology chart? Is your Moon in a water sign? Sun or rising in water? 

There is more to the story that will drive it further off the table. Nothing you've said so far greatly shocks or surprises me. I've been studying "Paranormal" occurences for over 30 years.... Over the years I have seen evidence that "spirits" exist.

Each person's unique spirit inhabits their physical body, but leaves the body after they walk on (when their physical body "dies") I also believe the odds are that each spirit is unique and eternal, and is eventually re-incarnated into a new physical body. (For any "scientific types reading thuis-- no, I'm not going to argue about this or attempt to "prove" it. )

I don't know enough about your experiences meeting with the three girls-- but my guess is that you have unique psychic gifts. And this one is not about precognition. Rather, there's a good chance that you are able to communicate with Spirits! (Is it a violation of the CoC to believe this? WTF-- its certainly more interesting than discussing Trump or anti-Trump!!!)

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.8  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.1.7    6 years ago
I don't know enough about your experiences meeting with the three girls-- but my guess is that you have unique psychic gifts. And this one is not about precognition. Rather, there's a good chance that you are able to communicate with Spirits!

FWIW the commonly used term for communicating with Spirits (at least those of deceased people you've known) is "Mediumship".  I know a bit about it and experienced it once, but its not my area of expertise. (Actually IIRC I never knowingly attempted to do it). Its coming up in the class I am taking....

I should mention that the Tarot major Arcana (21 or 22 out of the standard deck of 78) are pictures that are supposed to be Archetypes- - i.e. universal symbols. For example, "The Mother" or "Motherhood". The Magician. The Hierophant (A conventional spiritual or religious leader). The Happy Home, Sudden Disaster, Material Prosperity etc. But the other cards represent something as well.

The only reason I mention it now is there is a card that seems to be symbolic of your experience with the 3 girls-- a happy experience.

Here it is-- its called "The Three of Cups". 

That's the "Radiant Rider Deck"-- The Rider is one of the most common. Three girls celebrating. Cup symbolize emotion and often joy.

Here a different version in The Morgan Greer Deck:

There's a lot of symbolism in each card-- many people need to learn how to interpret symbols to read the cards-- but some don't.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.1.9  dave-2693993  replied to  Krishna @4.1.8    6 years ago

Hmmmm? That is a lot to think about. I am in cogitation mode.

That is more than i had contemplated. Interesting, there are 3 girls on those cards. Julia, coal black hair, Irina true flaxen, Natalya, who I do not think I have ever mentioned, brunette.

Hmmm? The dreams came first, by several years. Hmmm?

Interesting.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.10  seeder  Krishna  replied to  dave-2693993 @4.1.9    6 years ago

Interesting.

I knew it would be. That's why I posted it! :-)

(And there's even more here than may be apparent at first...)

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.11  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.1.10    6 years ago

Hmmmm? That is a lot to think about. I am in cogitation mode.

Thinking mode is a good place to start. (Thinking mode is what used to be referred to as "left brain". The logical, rational, analytical, mind of ordinary waking consciousness.) But the thinking mode is also about limitation. For example thoughts may come that this can't be possible (because there's no "logical" explanation, its probably just a coincidence, etc, etc). Left brain is limiting .... And there's a place for that-- good place to start.

But really deep intuitive  insights come from the "right brain"-- not analysis but rather-- intuition. So its useful that after a period of intense thinking to let it go for a while-- do something else. And  that's where deeper insights, from other dimensions of consciousness, occur. This can happen when you're not thinking about it-- or , for example, when you sleep...

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.1.12  dave-2693993  replied to  Krishna @4.1.11    6 years ago

Okay, so let me throw a bit of a boomerang into this mix.

Again, I have a reason.

Recently there is information inferring eyes of grey, hazel, green and blue are of Neanderthal origin. Although I have brown eyes, my maternal Grandfather and aunt were grey eyed Russians. They liked to call it hazel. bahhhh. Grey.

Irina and Natalya are blue eyed while Julia is green eyed.

Maybe shared Neanderthal genetics?

Are there any known tendencies of the characteristics you have discussed relative to Neanderthal stock?

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.13  seeder  Krishna  replied to  dave-2693993 @4.1.12    6 years ago
Are there any known tendencies of the characteristics you have discussed relative to Neanderthal stock?

That is something I know nothing about. (Neanderthals). 

Well actually I do know some things about some of the Neanderthals-- specifically, those running our current gov't :^)

One thing in your comment I can relate to however. Unlike the U.S., traditionally Russians have believed in Psychic phenomena and all sorts of mysticism. It's generally accepted in their society.

In fact during the era of the Soviet Union, the government funded large projects to explore these things (for possible use by the military).

For a while some of this was open. Some westerners who were interested in metaphysics, the occult, etc. were able to learn of some of their discoveries. Then suddenly it was cut off from anyone knowing about what they were doing.

Many years ago I read this book on the subject:

Psychic Discoveries Behind the Iron Curtain by Sheila Ostrander (1970-05-03)   Hardcover  

(I got it on Amazon used-- from one of the "other sellers" for a total of $11.99 which included shipping as it was not eligible for Amazon Prime free shipping).

I had given it away long ago, but I just re-ordered it-- spending a lot of time with these topics now as I am taking a 1 year course in developing one's psychic abilities.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.14  seeder  Krishna  replied to  dave-2693993 @4.1.1    4 years ago

There are many types of Psychic methods. But those things you mentioned aren;'t necessary to access psychic powers-- its just them some psychics prefer to use one or another as tools.

Sounds like what you might be interested in is "Mediumship" (when done with a few people,its what The Muggles refer to as a "Seance".)

Si,ply stated, Mediumship differs from a regular Psychic reading in the way Mediumship gets the information-- the Medium gets in touch with spirits of deceased persons who give the information.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  dave-2693993 @4    6 years ago

Well, first of all, ever since I was a kid I was fascinated by Science. And what is Science? Exploring the unknown.

Perhaps my strongest personality trait was curiosity-- much more so than most other people. Curiosity-- a trait common to all good scientists. Because that's what Science is about-- to explore the unknown, to solve mysteries. Even in Elementary School I was a real Science Nerd-- I read lots of High School and even some College level Science books. 

I first became interested in "alternative realities" -- and "other dimensions of consciousness" in High School. I read about the work of J.B. Rhine-- he was doing experiments attempting to prove or disprove the existence of what was then called ESP ("Extra Sensory Perception"-- AKA Psychic abilities). 

Interestingly, while he did have a few subjects that seemed to have that ability, in most cases subjects in his experiments did not seem to. So the results seemed to be inconclusive).

J B Rhine (Joseph Banks Rhine) is widely considered to be the "Father of Modern Parapsychology." Along with his wife Dr Louisa E. Rhine, Dr J B Rhine studied the phenomena now known as parapsychology at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina. J B Rhine collaborated with Professor William McDougall who served as the Chairman of the Department of Psychology. Dr. J B Rhine coined the term "extrasensory perception" (ESP) to describe the apparent ability of some people to acquire information without the use of the known (five) senses). He also adopted the term "parapsychology" to distinguish his interests from mainstream psychology.

The Duke experiments on telepathy, clairvoyance and precognition used specially designed cards called Zener cards.. (Cont'd HERE)

(These comments cont'd in next comment)

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.2    6 years ago
Well, first of all, ever since I was a kid I was fascinated by Science. And what is Science? Exploring the unknown.

I have been studying these sorts of phenomenon off and on for years. Mainly focused on Astrology, but I have become pretty adept at Tarot readings as well. 

I have taken many courses, and even taught one for a few years (at the beginning and advanced levels). I am currently an active member of a Tarot reading group that meets once/month . . . as well as a Psychology discussion group, focused on the Myers Briggs (MBTI) theories.

I recently discovered an amazing year-long course in developing one's Psychic abilities. We meet all day Saturday and Sunday, once a month for a year. Another part is online session one evening between weekend meetings ("video chat", similar to Skype). When its over I may continue my studies at a place like Arthur Findlay College.

The main downside to that place is that it appears they mainly teach Mediumship-- not an area I'm particularly interested in-- although I would like to become at least a bit proficient in all these related areas. Plus the students there are a fascinating lot. (And I am more than a bit of an Anglophile :-)

In addition, the women teaching the course I'm taking did study there (amongst other places) and said their courses were excellent.

(I am also a Certified Second Degree Reiki Practitioner and intend to take the third degree course for certification soon-- I'm also a graduate of the Silva Mind Method , EST, trainings in group dynamics,  and some other similar trainings). For the last few months I have been studying TCM ("traditional Chinese Medicine") on my own, and have being going to Accupuncture. (Like Psychic work..its "all about energy").

Some of these courses and trainings were much better than others....

zuksam
Junior Silent
5  zuksam    6 years ago

That place sure has a lot of Chimney's

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  zuksam @5    6 years ago

That place sure has a lot of Chimney's

I noticed the same thing. 

I think I kniow why.

Today's buildings mainly have what's called "Central Heat". One central sourse of heat where the heat is transmitted to many rooms. One type consists of a single source of heat-- a boiler in the basement. Heat from that single ("centralized") source is feed to many rooms. (In one type of system, heated water from a single boiler is transmitted through pipes to radiators in various rooms).

An analogy would be a YUGE central fireplace where the heat from the single fireplace woiuld be transmitted to all the rooms! But that wouldn't work-- at least in the old days with their old technology. So rather than a single source (one fireplace for an entire building) buildings were built with a fireplace in each (or most) rooms. Each fireplace needed a way for heated gases to escape-- so there had to be a chimney for each fireplace. In a big building with many rooms-- there had to be a lot of chimneys!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

Do they offer a course on Voodoo?

Krishna
Professor Expert
7  seeder  Krishna    6 years ago

Do they offer a course on Voodoo?

No.

Actually your Q relates to Dave's question (comment #4) to which I am about to repky...my interest in attending classes there. There are several reasons...

However, I do have one major consideration about going there to study.

There are many different areas of "psychic work".  And for each many, many different approaches. IIRC, most have their roots in the discoveries of various groups of indigenous peoples around the world. 

I looked over their site briefly. While they mention teaching psychic abilities (of which there are many, many different types) , it would appear that their main focus is on mediumship. For those unfamiliar with the term-- that is about helping people get in touch with relatives or others they knew who have walked on (AKA "died"...although I dislike using that word because IMO its implications are false).

That is not an area of psychic abilities that I am particularly interested in learning...although it might be interesting sometime in the future.

Well, I'm by no means an expert in that area, but Voodoo is a loosely defined term, referring mostly to actual religions. IIRC these religions are mostly a combination of two things: the religions of indigenous peoples of Africa (it was brought to the area by African slaves),  and Catholicism. They are practiced mainly in  parts of the Caribbean and Brazil.  In the U.S. Santeria is perhaps one of the best known forms-- I believe that form is a mix of West African religions (mainly the Yoruba I believe?) and Catholicism brought by Spanish Conquistadors. I believe Santeria  originated amongst African slaves in Cuba...and spread, in the U.S. its mainly practiced in Louisiana(?)

Many years ago I experienced several psychic readings as well as a past life regression or two. (Never experienced any Mediumship until very recently).One of the readings was by a follower of Santeria-- he did bring some of those concepts into the reading.

(Catholicism as practiced by many in Mexico is also an strange mix of traditional Catholicism with some beliefs from ancient indigenous Indian groups mixed in-- I think that, for example, its mainly Catholicism with some Aztec religious practices combined! I'm not sure what its called, but that form is not considered Voodoo).

So, given that there are so many widely varying forms of "psychic" teachings, it would be highly unlikely that a British school of Psychic abilities would teach Voodoo!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Krishna @7    6 years ago

Too bad. I've got a ball of wax and some pins all ready to go

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1    6 years ago

Too bad. I've got a ball of wax and some pins all ready to go

Just be sure you do it right, that you know how to do it properly-- when it comes to any form of "Black Magic", often "what you send out" comes back to haunt you!

What goes around comes around-- you may find those Black Cats coming home to roost (to coin a phrase! jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif )

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Release The Kraken @7.1.2    6 years ago

Some people roast the black cats.

Shame on them-- that's racist!

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Release The Kraken @7.1.2    6 years ago
Some people roast the black cats.

But some people love them and treat them extremely well!

One of my all time favourite movies! (Note to Buzz: It's the "Spell Scene" from Bell, Book, and Candle)

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @7.1.4    6 years ago

For cat lovers-- A bit of trivia:

Obviously Pyewacket (Kim Novack's familiar in the movie) was not a black cat but rather a Sealpoint Siamese). Here's more info on Pyewacket:

In the Hollywood film Bell, Book and Candle (1958) Pyewacket is the name of the brown sealpoint  Siamese  cat/familiar of a witch, Gillian Holroyd, played by Kim Novak. The film was adapted from a 1958 Broadway play that continues to be produced in community theatres, with Pyewacket played by a live cat.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  Krishna @7.1.6    6 years ago

All i really want to know is what were they feeding smelly cat?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  Krishna @7.1.6    6 years ago

I have to see that movie again

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.9  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Release The Kraken @7.1.5    6 years ago

I only eat kosher cat, it's not racist.

AHA! 

I always suspected that you were a Zionist Poodle in disguise!

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
7.1.10  arkpdx  replied to  Release The Kraken @7.1.2    6 years ago

I hear this guy has some good cat recipes! 

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.11  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.7    6 years ago
All i really want to know is what were they feeding smelly cat?

How do you know it was smelly?

(I remember in days past when they gave out 3-D glasses. At that time when you went to the movies in addition to something for the eyes-- did they also give out something for noses...maybe "Smellorama? :-)

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.12  seeder  Krishna  replied to  arkpdx @7.1.10    6 years ago
I hear this guy has some good cat recipes! 

I don't know why some people treat cats so badly-- after all, a little pussy never hurt anyone!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.13  Sparty On  replied to  Krishna @7.1.11    6 years ago
How do you know it was smelly?

Because Phoebe said it was .....

Krishna
Professor Expert
8  seeder  Krishna    6 years ago
Just be sure you do it right, that you know how to do it properly-- when it comes to any form of "Black Magic", often "what you send out" comes back to haunt you!

What goes around comes around-- you may find those Black Cats coming home to roost (to coin a phrase! jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif )

BTW, times have changed-- so the traditional nomenclature ("Black Magic", "White Magic" etc) must change. In today's world, the term "Black magic" is unacceptable-- my guess is that soon a new term will replace it.

P.S. #2: Just as the principle "What goes around comes around" applies to the practice of the arts of the "Dark Side", the same applies to the practice of "White Magic"...food for thought, eh?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.1  Split Personality  replied to  Krishna @8    6 years ago

Dark Magic vs Light Magic?

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Release The Kraken @8.1.1    6 years ago

That's what happens when you rub some people's "magic lamp"!

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Split Personality @8.1    6 years ago

Dark Magic vs Light Magic?

Sounds good-- I think you found a solution!

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Release The Kraken @8.1.4    6 years ago
Like a reacharound?

Well...let's just say that "its bigger than a breadbox"!

Krishna
Professor Expert
10  seeder  Krishna    6 years ago

The Arthur Findlay College - A "Hogwarts For Adults"?

I just realized-- some people might not be familiar with the word "Hogwarts".

No, its not something unpleasant you discover when doing a "reacharound" (whatever that may be...???).

I realize it may be a bit "politically incorrect" here . . . that when someone doesn't know the meaning of a word, to actually try to find out what it means-- Oh, the horror!

But what the heck-- I am and have always been a bit of an iconoclast ( "Smashing Icons R Us", as it were ). So here's what Wiki sez:

Studio model of Hogwarts at Leavesden Studios

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry , commonly shortened to  Hogwarts , is a fictional British school of  magic  for students aged eleven to eighteen, and is the primary setting for the first six books in  J.K. Rowling 's  Harry Potter  series.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
11  Dismayed Patriot    6 years ago

They just need to combine what they're doing now with some aspects of LARP'ing. Have all the attendees wear wizard robes, get their own unique wand and broom, and have it run like Hogwarts. You could incorporate all kinds of optical illusions throughout the castle, floating candles in the dining room, apparitions created by some special effects floating through hallways. Then sell week courses where people stay, role play as a student for a week, more like an adult Hogwarts college, go to potions classes where a chemistry teacher shows them how to make a number of different concoctions, slime, love potions (perfume), then have a version of quidich maybe played riding on ponies, donkeys or possibly even ostriches. Other classes would include the history of magic, magical theory, astrology, fortune telling, palm reading, and herbology. It would be a mix of fantasy role play, actual history education, actual chemistry, and a general background education in mythologies and the supernatural.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
12  Sparty On    6 years ago

Isn't that Professor Xavier's house?

Krishna
Professor Expert
12.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Sparty On @12    6 years ago

Isn't that Professor Xavier's house?

I could tell you whose house it is-- but then my superiors at Langley would not be amused!!!

Krishna
Professor Expert
13  seeder  Krishna    6 years ago

BTW, Split Personality just seeded a related article-- which mentions certain aspects of that "other dimension of consciouslness " mentioned here. But from a more "scientific" perspective: 

Graduate Student Solves Quantum Verification Problem

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
15  Larry Hampton    4 years ago

Sssaaaawwweeeettttttt!!!!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
15.1  Split Personality  replied to  Larry Hampton @15    4 years ago

Goodness, 2 years ago?

Many things have changed.

Many haven't...jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Krishna
Professor Expert
15.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Split Personality @15.1    4 years ago

The school has been around a long time, reputably the best of its type in the world. I was starting to plan going there for a week (or two!) but then along came the virus. (Haven't actually checked the site recently so I don't know if they give classes via Zoom, which would work but I want to wait 'till the Virus decreases-- would go there for the courses of course but part of the experience would be the people-- interesting people would be there from all over the world.

Krishna
Professor Expert
15.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @15.1.1    4 years ago

Actually I suppose I should be cautious about posting "politically incorrect" stuff like this here...some of NT's resident Muggles-- those with differing political opinions-- have been ticketing me for strange reasons. (& yes- I feel they do have a right to their opinion even if I disagree with them).

Krishna
Professor Expert
15.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Larry Hampton @15    4 years ago

Correct! jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png