╌>

Maxfield Parrish - an Iconic American Artist

Category:  Photography & Art

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  6 years ago  •  9 comments

In 1931, Parrish declared to the Associated Press, "I'm done with girls on rocks", and opted instead to focus on landscapes.

Parrish at the age of 26

From Wikipedia:

Maxfield Parrish (July 25, 1870 – March 30, 1966) [born in Philadelphia] was an American painter and illustrator active in the first half of the 20th century. He is known for his distinctive saturated hues and idealized neo-classical imagery. His career spanned fifty years and was wildly successful: his painting Daybreak is the most popular art print of the 20th century.

1280px-Daybreak_by_Parrish_%281922%29.jp
Daybreak , 1922 by  Maxfield Parrish  

Daybreak is one of the two original beautifully framed Maxfield Parrish prints that my ex-wife and I had discovered at a flea market in Cape Cod. The vendor was just pulling them out of a box and we asked how much he wanted for them. Obviously he had no knowledge of their value and said $15 each. I offered him $25 for the pair and we got them. As we were walking out of the flea market holding them we were stopped three times by other vendors asking if they could buy them from us, but they became a wonderful enhancement of our dining room. The prints were about 30 inches wide. The other print we got was The Garden of Allah.

8102016_mayfield_parrish_043.jpeg

The Garden of Allah

The colours and technique he used were exceptional.

From Wikipedia:

Parrish's art is characterized by vibrant  colors ; the color  Parrish blue  was named after him. He achieved such luminous color through  glazing . This process involves applying alternating bright layers of  oil  color separated by  varnish  over a base rendering.  Parrish usually used a blue and white monochromatic  underpainting .

Parrish used many other innovative techniques in his paintings. He would take pictures of models in black and white geometric prints and project the image onto his works. This technique allowed for his figures to be clothed in geometric patterns, while accurately representing distortion and draping. Parrish would also create his paintings by taking pictures, enlarging, or projecting objects. He would cut these images out and put them onto his canvas. He would later cover them with clear glaze. Parrish's technique gave his paintings a more three-dimensional feel.

The outer proportions and internal divisions of Parrish's compositions were carefully calculated in accordance with geometric principles such as  root rectangles  and the  golden ratio . In this Parrish was influenced by  Jay Hambidge 's theory of Dynamic Symmetry.

More about his life, career, fame and influences in Wikipedia:

Some of his incredible artworks:

001OkuMcty6GjUKVUGX1f&690

690c690ca8434034abf03ae687caf3b2_th.png

64c2812a587642b9830eb79b1b117c6a_th.png

f15b5f6325c14bef8ce9b1e41fc40517_th.png

9e8a9e5ed38f478b8d9e7f2e7d3e1d6b_th.png

10603d029dbd4949b80910c9e89a7eb2_th.png

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

His works are unique, a great American artist. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2  pat wilson    6 years ago

Oh my gosh, he's my favorite artist ! Thank you for posting this !

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     6 years ago

I love his work. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
4  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Little known fact, Parrish himself posed for some of his painted figures … including some female figures. Also, he rarely, if ever mixed colors, instead, he used colors as they were produced commercially and used translucent layers painted over one another … layers of glazes (oil paint) were dried (on the canvas which was placed in the sun).

Some of Parrish's critics claimed that he, as an artist, "had nothing to say;" even if one accepts that criticism, nevertheless, he said it beautifully!

Thanks for this article, Buzz.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @4    6 years ago

It was because your photo in your article about double exposure made me think of Maxfield Parrish, perhaps because of its colours and composition, that I posted this article.  His daughter also posed for him and as an example this painting is called "Ecstasy":

51s4Np405gL.jpg

pat wilson
Professor Participates
5  pat wilson    6 years ago

I love his hyper realism and saturated colors.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Always like his work too.

I remember the first time I saw it as a mid teen. Someone had a book and I spent the evening going through it.

charger 383
Professor Silent
7  charger 383    6 years ago

I like it

TTGA
Professor Silent
8  TTGA    6 years ago

Very nice Buzz.