╌>

I Met a Friend While Walking in the Woods

Category:  Photography & Art

By:  robert-in-ohio  •  6 years ago  •  27 comments

I Met a Friend While Walking in the Woods
"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean." John Muir

I went for a walk in the woods yesterday, just outside of town along the river, and among the many wonderful sights and sounds I met this guy and he sat patiently as I tried to get just the right picture.

I love walking in the woods, seeing, smelling and hearing Mother Nature at her best

I think I am going to re-read Walden

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees."  - Henry David Thoreau

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1  author  Robert in Ohio    6 years ago

I have not mastered all the ins and outs of posting pictures yet - but I was quite proud of the picture of my new friend

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
1.1  A. Macarthur  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1    6 years ago

Keep shooting and keep sharing, RIO; every click of the shutter is one click closer to your personal aspirations ... and, your aspirations will grow as your skills and photographic instincts grow.

I am entirely self-taught and consequently, willingly and gladly share if/when asked technical and aesthetic questions.

Your photo is a fine capture of animal behavior indicating good instinct and judgement as to what makes good imagery.

Looking forward to many more!

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1.1.1  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  A. Macarthur @1.1    6 years ago

A Mac

Thanks for the encouragement and the kind words

I have a ball with my camera on my hikes and travels but sometimes I think I make my wife crazy as I am trying to get the picture just right

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1.1.1    6 years ago

Unless you're speaking of the "pose" or specific timing, you no longer need to get a picture "just right" because of the advanced photoshop-type editing programs available today. I think of the use of certain enhancements and corrections as part of the art of producing a result.

There were famous photographers is the past who demanded that their photos not be touched, even to the extent of cropping - but that did not make them BETTER photographers than today's breed.  I believe that even Ansel Adams, considered by me to be one of the greatest photographers did a lot of adjusting of his photos in his darkroom.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1.1.3  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.2    6 years ago

Buzz

That is true of course, but a very accomplished photographer told me that the shot you get "just right" without editing is immeasurably more satisfying than any edited image one may end up with.

I am learning how to editing and enhancement a little by little as well, but the fun for me is sitting there or walking there and trying to get the picture just right - and being oh so satisfied and happy when it does.  When I get "the shot of the day" I can't wait to get home and share it with my bride.

Thanks for the interest and feedback old friend.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1    6 years ago

Nice pic Bob

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1.2.1  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2    6 years ago

Vic

Thanks

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
1.3  nightwalker  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1    6 years ago

For someone who hasn't master it all, you did a truly wonderful job.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1.3.1  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  nightwalker @1.3    6 years ago

Nightwalker

That is very kind of you to say - thanks.

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    6 years ago

Staring intently at that nut. haha

I almost hit one of his brethren today. Ran out in front of my car.

TTGA
Professor Silent
2.1  TTGA  replied to  Ender @2    6 years ago
I almost hit one of his brethren today. Ran out in front of my car.

I've come close to a few like that.  They don't seem to pay much attention to cars until they're right on top of them.  Likely an excess of confidence in their own speed and agility.

Staring intently at that nut. haha

He only looks like that Ender.  Notice that his eyes are set toward the side of his head.  When sitting up like that, a squirrel has vision in an arc of about 270 degrees.  By turning his head about 45 degrees to each side, he can see everything all the way around him.  When he seems to just be enjoying his dinner, he's also making sure he doesn't become dinner for something else.

Very good shot Robert.  As you do wildlife photography for a while, you will pick up the ability to predict their behavior.  That makes it easier to get really good shots on a regular basis.  You also learn this if you've ever done any hunting.  While you may be hunting for Deer (with gun or camera), you also subconsciously observe the behavior of the birds and smaller animals around you. If you bring those observations into your conscious mind, you will find that each of the species behave in a pattern.  After a while, the pattern becomes predictable and you'll have the camera pointed at just the right place.  That's how I got this one this summer.

Since I had never observed Hummingbirds before, it took me close to a month to get the camera in just the right place with just the right focus when I heard the bird coming in.  It also took almost a thousand wasted pictures (you'll always throw away a lot more than you keep).

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2.1.1  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  TTGA @2.1    6 years ago

TTGA

What a beautiful picture

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2.2  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Ender @2    6 years ago

Ender

I have been there - living in the country we are quite conscious of avoiding animals in the road and trying not to tear up the countryside as we explore it.

And actually the way he is sitting and looking is that he is keeping an eye on me off to the side without taking all of his attention away from the nut he has found for the winter stash

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     6 years ago

"In Wildness is the preservation of the world,"  Henry David Thoreau. 

Great photo RIO. Seems that he isn't interested in sharing the nut, but isn't interested in running away either. Seems you have a friendship in the making. 

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
3.1  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Kavika @3    6 years ago

Kavika

He did sit patiently and let me figure how I wanted to take the picture and then scampered off pretty soon after I was done taking his picture - perhaps he just likes the attention

TTGA
Professor Silent
3.1.1  TTGA  replied to  Robert in Ohio @3.1    6 years ago
perhaps he just likes the attention

AH HA......The squirrel is a Ham.  Now that the little dude has had his successful debut here, he'll soon have a blog of his own, maybe called "Notes From the Nest".  He'll probably start putting up links to the Diamond Walnut or Planter's Peanut people cause they're paying him off with the really good stuff.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
3.1.2  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  TTGA @3.1.1    6 years ago

TTGA

Good point

Or it might be called "People I Saw on the Trails Today"

Dig
Professor Participates
5  Dig    6 years ago
I think I am going to re-read Walden

I enjoyed that book so much back in the day that I ended up with three copies; the regular novel version, an annotated version with tons of historical notes, and an illustrated version with full-page color photos of the area.

I often think about him hoeing his bean field when I'm weeding my own garden in the summer, "Have at him, chop him up, turn his roots upward to the sun."

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
5.1  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Dig @5    6 years ago

D S

I enjoyed it as well and will enjoy it again - cold days coming soon up here plenty of time to read in front of the fireplace.

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    6 years ago

very nice picture

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
6.1  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  charger 383 @6    6 years ago

charger 

Thanks