╌>

Megyn Kelly is apologizing for comment she made on Tuesday's show in which she seemingly defended blackface Halloween costumes.

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  57 comments

Megyn Kelly is apologizing for comment she made on Tuesday's show in which she seemingly defended blackface Halloween costumes.
Particularly on race and ethnicity issues which, far from being healed, have been exacerbated in our politics over the past year. This is a time for more understanding, love, sensitivity and honor, and I want to be part of that. I look forward to continuing that discussion."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Megyn Kelly is apologizing for she made on Tuesday's Megyn Kelly Today in which she seemingly defended blackface Halloween costumes.

In an internal email, Kelly wrote that she's heard from colleagues and friends and realizes her comments were wrong, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

"What is racist?" she asked her panelists during a segment about controversial Halloween costumes. "Because truly you do get in trouble if you are a white person who puts on blackface at Halloween or a black person who puts on whiteface for Halloween. Back when I was a kid, that was okay as long as you were dressing up as like a character."

In her memo sent later on Tuesday, she wrote: "One of the wonderful things about my job is that I get the chance to express and hear a lot of opinions. Today is one of those days where listening carefully to other points of view, including from friends and colleagues, is leading me to rethink my own views."

%24 During the show, Kelly also defended Real Housewives of star Luann de Lessep's from last Halloween. "Who doesn't love Diana Ross? She wants to look like Diana Ross for one day, and I don't know how that got racist on Halloween," Kelly said.

The comments sparked immediate backlash online, with stars such as Padma Lakshmi, Roy Wood Jr. and Patton Oswalt calling out the NBC host.

The NBC host recounted the segment in her email, in which she "suggested that this seemed okay if done as part of this holiday where people have the chance to make themselves look like others," she continued. "I realize now that such behavior is indeed wrong, and I am sorry. The history of blackface in our culture is abhorrent; the wounds too deep."

Kelly concluded her email to colleagues speaking about "sensitivity" over issues of race. "I’ve never been a 'pc' kind of person -- but I understand that we do need to be more sensitive in this day and age. Particularly on race and ethnicity issues which, far from being healed, have been exacerbated in our politics over the past year. This is a time for more understanding, love, sensitivity and honor, and I want to be part of that. I look forward to continuing that discussion."

This isn't the first time Kelly has gotten in hot water for such comments. In 2013, she sparked controversy  on Fox News, “For you kids watching at : Santa just is white.”

She later added: “Just because it makes you feel uncomfortable doesn’t mean it has to change. You know, I mean, Jesus was a whiteman too.” The comments came during a segment discussing an article arguing that Santa Claus shouldn't always be depicted as white.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Why not just avoid blackface? 

During the show they also mention the "Anne Frank" Halloween costume for kids, and whether that should be allowed.

annefrank.jpg?w=2000

Why would anyone want to dress their little girl as a Holocaust victim when they go trick or treating?  It doesnt even make any sense. 

-

Megyn Kelly was previously best known, in pc and anti-pc circles, for claiming in a segment on her old Fox News show that "everyone knows Santa Claus is white". 

Uh, imaginary characters that no one ever actually sees can be any color. 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago
Why would anyone want to dress their little girl as a Holocaust victim when they go trick or treating?  It doesnt even make any sense. 

Why not? She may have died yet she is considered a hero by some.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ender @1.1    6 years ago

Poor taste. Let's not involve little kids in these pc battles. 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    6 years ago

Maybe a kid read about her, read her memoirs and wanted to honor her.

I would let the kid if they wanted to. It would not be something out of malice. 

Blackface is just stupidity. It can trace its roots back a long ways.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ender @1.1.2    6 years ago

I don't think an Anne Frank halloween costume is appropriate. It seems inherently exploitative. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  bbl-1  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    6 years ago

"appropriate."  ? ?

I fear that is a term that has lost its luster these past couple of years.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.5  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  bbl-1 @1.1.4    6 years ago
"appropriate."  ? ? I fear that is a term that has lost its luster these past couple of years.

Then let's bring it back. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.1.6  bbl-1  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.5    6 years ago

Speculating.  But I suspect the 'right wing' shelf life is expiring.  However, I sincerely hope it's demise creates little pain and suffering.  Unfortunately, the lessons of history often prove that not to be the case.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.2  bbl-1  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

The fictional character of Santa Claus is white.  Deriving from christian European, Scandinavian and Russian origins.  In that sense, Megyn Kelly is correct.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  bbl-1 @1.2    6 years ago

He's only white because white people have told his story.

Santa Claus is invisible and is a mythical character. He has no color. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  bbl-1  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    6 years ago

My point.  Santa was 'invented' by white people.  Same reason many 'christian paintings' depict Jesus as white, fair haired and blue eyed. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  bbl-1 @1.2.2    6 years ago

If white kids want to see santa as white, that is fine

if black kids want to see santa as black, that is fine

Megyn Kelly should have known better than to make an issue out of that on a national television show 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.2.4  bbl-1  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.3    6 years ago

We are in agreement.  There is much more important things to discuss than convenient, enjoyable but non-existent fables.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.5  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    6 years ago

Although in all my many, many, years, I have not once seen kids or adults dressed for Holloween

as Santa Claus...

jest saying...

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    6 years ago

She still has a show?

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  Ender @2    6 years ago

she's spinning and back peddling on it now

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  devangelical @2.1    6 years ago

Like this?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Just another example how ultra-PC is spiralling out of control. We are on our way to make Aldous Huxley's predictive Brave New World actually happen.  Amazon describes it well (bolding is mine to make my point):

"Aldous Huxley's profoundly important classic of world literature, Brave New World is a searching vision of an unequal, technologically-advanced future where humans are genetically bred, socially indoctrinated, and pharmaceutically anesthetized to passively uphold an authoritarian ruling order–all at the cost of our freedom, full humanity, and perhaps also our souls.".

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    6 years ago

You are in favor of blackface costumes Buzz? 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    6 years ago

Just making a point about the creeping ultra-overzealous PC that you obviously support.  Personally, I wouldn't mind looking like Denzel Washington.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    6 years ago

Did the social justice warriors piss on Eddie Murphy in the movie Coming to America?

ahhh-haaaa.jpg

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.3    6 years ago

Things were looked at differently 30 years ago. I doubt they could make that same movie today. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1.5  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.4    6 years ago

But they still play that movie on TV frequently.  I see it on one of the channels at least once a month.

And how long ago was it when Disney's "Song of the South" was banned in the US?  You can still see and buy it in Europe but not in the US. 

luther28
Sophomore Silent
3.1.6  luther28  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.1    6 years ago

While I most certainly agree that many have pushed the PC thing to the point of absurdity, this is a bit different as it is akin to the revival of minstrel shows.

There are some things that are better off in the back of History's closet, this is one of them.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.7  devangelical  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.1    6 years ago

there's already a strong resemblance to part of his anatomy

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.8  Split Personality  replied to  Snuffy @3.1.5    6 years ago

Not banned.  Never released in the US.

Disney has yet to release Song of the South on any home video format in the United States. Some of the musical and animated sequences have been released through other means, and the full film has seen home video distribution in other countries around the world. The cartoon characters from the film have continued to remain popular for decades, being featured in a variety of books, comics, and other media. The Disney theme park ride Splash Mountain is also based on the film.

but various parts are on the internet, Youtube, etc

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.10  Split Personality  replied to  Kathleen @3.1.9    6 years ago

Why is it unsafe?

Why would anyone want to remove a ride?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1.12  Snuffy  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.8    6 years ago
Not banned.  Never released in the US.

It was released to theaters when it was initially made,  I remember seeing it as a child.  But then the early culture started against it and now it has never been released in a format that you can view it at home.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4  bbl-1    6 years ago

More absurdity feeding into the 'over fed' Trump base.  Hell, the Trump has begun a nuclear weapons free for all.  Except the nuclear weapons aren't free and its just one more damn useless thing we taxpayers will be on 'the hook' for.

Besides.  Any nekkid pictures of Megyn out there somewhere?

MAGA 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    6 years ago

Typical leftist response. We can't even talk about these issues. It's just too much fun to pile on a well-meaning person who isn't properly "woke" and speaking like all the popular kids do. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @5    6 years ago

Is Santa Claus white? 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    6 years ago

Historically, sure, but like many characters, he doesn't have to be. Sometimes it matters, but I don't think there's anything about Santa's character or actions that requires it.

Ender
Professor Principal
5.2  Ender  replied to  Tacos! @5    6 years ago

I think the issue was more Kelly supporting blackface, not having to do with talking about it.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  Ender @5.2    6 years ago
I think the issue was more Kelly supporting blackface, not having to do with talking about it.

OK, but let's be fair to her. Is she supporting blackface as it was known in the 19th century, when it was used to mock and demean African Americans? Or is she supporting going all out for your Halloween costume?

If you wanted to dress up as Diana Ross, and you kept your face white, might that not be seen as disrespectful to Diana Ross? (I wouldn't care, but you could make that argument) Factually, she is black. If you want to look like her, shouldn't you try to look like her as much as possible? And if that's the person's goal, why be angry?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tacos! @5    6 years ago

Well, then let's talk about it. What is right about black face?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.3.1  Tacos!  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.3    6 years ago

Blackface, of course, has a mean and racist past. But many things in our history that have been done for cruelty have also been done for benign - even fun - reasons. It's the context that matters.

I think it's reasonable to consider if it will ever be ok for people to use makeup to appear as a certain race when they're trying to do something relatively harmless like dress up for Halloween. Part of dressing up is the fun of pretending to be someone you are not just for an evening. Halloween is not intended to hurt anyone's feelings the way blackface was in the past.

I don't think it's fair to assume that a person in the 21st century pretending to be Diana Ross has the same kind of motivations as someone who put on blackface to mock African Americans in the 19th century.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
7  Colour Me Free    6 years ago

Does anyone recall Rachel Dolezal .. she darkened her skin daily to 'identify' as a black woman - black women embraced her, parading her around on talk shows, Melissa Harris Perry was drooling on herself trying to come up with a way of describing and defending Dolezal .. so forgive me if I cannot get all up in arms about blackface being racist at Halloween ... it is nothing more than selective outrage.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1  Tessylo  replied to  Colour Me Free @7    6 years ago

Dressing up in blackface at Halloween is racist.  

cms5
Freshman Quiet
8  cms5    6 years ago

Everyone is printing a list of 'offensive' costumes now. I saw one that included Stormy Daniels! Really? Nothing that depicts any cultures...no prison outfits...no fatty costumes...no LGBT stuff (although non-surgery transgenders may do so)...no famous people as zombies...If you're white a white Santa is okay, if you're black - a black Santa is okay. Absolutely NO ALTERING skin color. Forget about dressing like the Easter Bunny - unless you do indeed have floppy ears. Nothing that depicts genitals...that's right ladies - you must pack up your vagina costumes. Nothing religious - that covers ALL religions. No costumes depicting tragedies. Absolutely no terrorist costumes. The lists go on forever...children cannot dress as their favorite cartoon characters unless their skin tone matches the character. No more make-believe folks...this Halloween stuff is serious business.

Perhaps I should put a sign on my door - if your costume offends me - NO CANDY FOR YOU!

* sidebar - But please - depict the President of the United States in any way you want - 'cause you don't like him. Who cares if that offends anyone - those who might be offended are stupid anyway - right?

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
8.1  Colour Me Free  replied to  cms5 @8    6 years ago

Ooops #10 is in response to you .. I cannot for some reason copy and paste it here .. my bad...

luther28
Sophomore Silent
9  luther28    6 years ago

She apparently missed the Ted Danson/Whoopie Goldberg episode, did not have the ending they expected either.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
10  Colour Me Free    6 years ago
Perhaps I should put a sign on my door - if your costume offends me - NO CANDY FOR YOU!

There is a house about a mile from me that always goes all out on Halloween - not only did they give out great candy generously .. they have a haunted maze to go through just to get to their door - my boys loved going there as lil peeps … last year there was a petition circulated to stop the 'offensive' display at the awesome Halloween house - this year there is NO decorations...  May as well cancel Halloween if this is the direction PC is heading

* sidebar - But please - depict the President of the United States in any way you want - 'cause you don't like him. Who cares if that offends anyone - those who might be offended are stupid anyway - right?

or the First Lady, seems to be open season on depicting her anyway one wants to...

cms5
Freshman Quiet
10.1  cms5  replied to  Colour Me Free @10    6 years ago
May as well cancel Halloween if this is the direction PC is heading

That will be next - NO HALLOWEEN FOR YOU!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

The Original Jim Crow (Who was Jim Crow?)

Throughout the 1830s and '40s, the white entertainer Thomas Dartmouth Rice (1808-1860) performed a popular song-and-dance act supposedly modeled after a slave. He named the character Jim Crow. Rice darkened his face, acted like a buffoon, and spoke with an exaggerated and distorted imitation of African American Vernacular English. In his Jim Crow persona, he also sang "Negro ditties" such as "Jump Jim Crow."

Rice was not the first white comic to perform in blackface, but he was the most popular of his time, touring both the United States and England. As a result of Rice's success, "Jim Crow" became a common stage persona for white comedians' blackface portrayals of African Americans.

ticket.jpg

Jim Crow and Segregation  (What was Jim Crow?)

After the American Civil War (1861-1865), most southern states and, later, border states passed laws that denied blacks basic human rights. It is not clear how, but the minstrel character's name "Jim Crow" became a kind of shorthand for the laws, customs and etiquette that segregated and demeaned African Americans primarily from the 1870s to the 1960s.

rice.jpg

Father of Minstrelsy

Minstrel shows were popular musical stage shows from the 1830s to the early 1900s. The performers, their faces artificially blackened, played the roles of ignorant, lazy, joyous blacks. Audiences roared with laughter. Thomas Dartmouth Rice is known as the Father of Minstrelsy.

playicon.png A short video showing images of Thomas Rice as "Jim Crow," minstrel inspired toys, and clips from minstrel performances. Video features the "Jump Jim Crow" tune.

hsminstrel.jpg

Blackening Up

When performing as minstrels, white performers used burnt cork and greasepaint or shoe polish to darken their skin and red or white makeup to exaggerate their lips. They also wore woolly wigs and ragged clothes to imitate and ridicule African Americans. Ironically, by the 1840s, even some black entertainers were darkening their already dark skin and performing in blackface as minstrels.

playicon.png Hollywood has a long list of actors and actresses who appeared in films whether as blackface characters or with blackface characters. Actors like Bing Crosby, Milton Berle, Al Jolson, Edie Cantor, Fred Astaire, Martha Mears, Shirley Temple, Judy Garland, Ronald Reagan and Bugs Bunny, all gave their support to "Blackening up" in films.

minstrelshow.jpg

Popularity of Minstrel Shows

With the popularization of radio and motion pictures in the 1920s, professional minstrel shows lost much of their national following. However, amateur minstrel shows continued in local theaters, community centers, high schools, and churches as late as the 1960s.

playicon.png The stage was not the only place where caricatures of African Americans were on display. The graphic art on Minstrel Show sheet music and posters were also venues to display highly caricatured images. These images set the tone for the ridicule that ensued, at the expense of African Americans, at minstrel shows

caste.jpg

An American Caste System

Jim Crow refers to the racial hierarchy that defined American life through a set of laws and practices which operated primarily, but not exclusively, in southern and border states between 1877 and the mid-1960s. This hierarchy, with whites at the top and blacks at the bottom, was supported by millions of everyday objects and images.