╌>

If a Picture is Worth a Thousand Words … What is a Combination of the Two Worth?

Category:  Photography & Art

By:  a-macarthur  •  6 years ago  •  32 comments

If a Picture is Worth a Thousand Words … What is a Combination of the Two Worth?

Do the words enhance the images, or, do the images enhance the words … or … 

original

© A. Mac/A.G.

original

© A. Mac/A.G.

original

© A. Mac/A.G

original

© A. Mac/A.G.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
1  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

You tell me …

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @1    6 years ago

Although I'm not absolutely certain, I think the quote "The earth has music for those who listen" is attributed to George Santayana. It was not Shakespeare.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
1.1.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    6 years ago

I checked and you are correct.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
2  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Leave the politics and come to the philosophical and spiritual.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @2    6 years ago

A little while ago I suggested we do a "Photos matching quotations" article - looks like it wasn't a great idea.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3  pat wilson    6 years ago

Very nice, like bottom two the best. Thank you.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  pat wilson @3    6 years ago

You are welcome, pat.

Anyone have a favorite quote (one-line in length); if so, maybe I can find an image for it.

Just a thought, but for now … good night.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1.1  pat wilson  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1    6 years ago

If you don't become the ocean you'll be seasick everyday.

Leonard Cohen

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.2  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  pat wilson @3.1.1    6 years ago

Will work on that one, pat.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.3  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  pat wilson @3.1.1    6 years ago
If you don't become the ocean you'll be seasick everyday.                                                             Leonard Cohen

Before coming up with a (hopefully) logical image/quotation amalgamation, let me post the significance of the quotation itself.

Being the Ocean ~ Being Human

Feb 5, 2014

by Lea Seigen Shinraku

“If you don’t become the ocean, you’ll be seasick every day.” ~ Leonard Cohen (from the poem Good Advice for Someone Like Me)

"I bet everyone has some experience of the seasickness that Leonard Cohen is talking about.

Our minds have very strong opinions about the way things should be: for example, innocent people shouldn’t suffer; we ourselves should look, speak and be a particular way; our loved ones should do what we know is best for them.

And when life doesn’t match up with how we think it’s supposed to be (innocent people suffer, we aren’t as articulate or successful as we think we should be, our loved ones do things that don’t make sense to us), we often feel this seasickness."

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.4  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1.3    6 years ago

Let's see if this will work.

original

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1.5  pat wilson  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1.4    6 years ago

I like it. Leonard would too.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.6  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  pat wilson @3.1.5    6 years ago

That's three of us, pat; thank you.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson @3.1.1    6 years ago

Leonard Cohen has since 1966 been my favourite musician, not just because he's a Canadian, but because of the imagery in his poetry that he puts to music. He was so admired by folk singer Judy Collins that she introduced him when he himself wasn't sure about his singing.  

It goes back to 1966 because at an outdoor Mariposa Folk Festival near Toronto on a cool evening he took to the stage and sang his newly written "Suzanne" and the hair on the back of my neck bristled - it was a song that Judy Collins helped to bring to the public, singing it at a Grammy Awards event.  It has remained for almost a half a century my favourite song - perhaps partially because I have known and even for times lived with the "Suzannes" he sings about. 

If you can open this link, and put up with less than a minute of Chinese commercials, then those of you who are not yet convinced to admire an author, storyteller, poet, songwriter and singer who virtually enthralled 600,000 people at the Isle of Wight Festival in 1970 who would not let him stop, then you would get to know Leonard Cohen a little better.  YouTube is bound to have his concert at the Isle of Wight Festival if you cannot open this link:

His passing was a loss to all humanity.  Hineni.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1.4    6 years ago

Four.  It works, A.Mac. It works.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.9  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.8    6 years ago

Buzz,

Thank you for the information and your personal insights … it adds greatly to the discussion.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1.3    6 years ago

Leonard Cohen's poems/lyrics are not always easy or even possible to comprehend, but I agree with what Joan Baez says about them:

"When people think that a song has to make sense, Leonard would prove otherwise. It doesn't necessarily make sense at all. It just comes from so deep inside him that it somehow touches deep inside other people. I'm not sure how that works, but it works."

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.11  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.10    6 years ago

"And she feeds you tea and oranges that come all the way from China" from 'Suzanne', by Leonard Cohen

Sorry, A.Mac, if I was presumptuous in posting the lyric, and then setting up and taking the photo of "tea and oranges that come all the way from China" .  Blame Pat - she got me started on Leonard Cohen.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
4  Robert in Ohio    6 years ago

Beautiful!

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
4.1  lennylynx  replied to  Robert in Ohio @4    6 years ago

Yes Robert, it is beautiful, and you sir, are a beautiful person. If everyone was like you, this would be a beautiful world too, but...

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
5  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

I'll be happy to try others …  but for now … good night.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
6  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Looks like it's run its course.

Thanks to all.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @6    6 years ago

To keep this alive, I'm going to post a few photos that match one-line quotations, and ask you and others to match either their photos or chosen one-line quotations to them:

1.   "The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting."  (Vincent Van Gogh)

2.   "Silence is also conversation."  (Ramana Maharishi)

3.   "After Woman, flowers are the most lovely thing God has given us."  (Christian Dior)

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
6.1.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1    6 years ago

Not sure what you're asking, Buzz … please clarify.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @6.1.1    6 years ago

I posted 3 quotations. Can you post photos that illustrate those quotations?  Or else post a quotation that is illustrated by my photos?  

My first photo is of an artist drawing a scene. The second is a little girl who appears to be having a silent conversation with a blossoming tree.  The third simply illustrates a lovely flower, which is what Dior referred to. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
6.1.3  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.2    6 years ago

Okay ... got it! Will try to find a photo for each quote tomorrow.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
7  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

TAKING BUZZ'S CHALLENGE …  Can you post photos that illustrate those quotations? 

"The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting."  (Vincent Van Gogh)

original

© A. Mac/A.G.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @7    6 years ago

VERY GOOD!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
8  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Will try to match these later today.

"Silence is also conversation."  (Ramana Maharishi)

"After Woman, flowers are the most lovely thing God has given us."  (Christian Dior)

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
9  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Maybe some other time.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
10  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

"Silence is also conversation."  (Ramana Maharishi)

original

It's a safe bet that the people looking at the sunset expressed their awe by way of their silence.

© A. Mac/A.G,

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @10    6 years ago

The silent conversation one is definitely easier to fulfill than the painting one, being in a way similar to your Santayana one, but the flower one has got to be the easiest.