╌>

Brexit resignations leave E.U. divorce deal — and PM May's future — in doubt

Category:  World News

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  6 years ago  •  8 comments

Brexit resignations leave E.U. divorce deal — and PM May's future — in doubt
“The very man who was effectively her main negotiator — for him to resign I think is devastating.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By   Alastair Jamieson

LONDON — British Prime Minister Theresa May was fighting to save her Brexit deal — and her job — Thursday after a chaotic day of government resignations and demands for her to stand down.

She said her proposal was the only feasible divorce agreement with Europe and pledged to defend it despite a chorus of opposition from across the political spectrum.

The latest turmoil sent the British   pound plunging on currency markets .

"Am I going to see this through? Yes," May said. “I believe with every fiber of my being that the course I have set out is the right one for our country.”

However, she may not have a choice in the matter. Lawmakers on Thursday called for a leadership contest that could topple her as head of the ruling Conservative party and as Prime Minister.

With only 134 days left until Brexit, time is running out to reach some kind of customs agreement with the E.U., which remains Britain’s biggest trade partner. Without any deal, the U.K. faces   chaos at borders and ports   — a scenario that has already prompted the stockpiling of food and medicines.

May’s proposal was finally published late Wednesday after 20 months of painfully slow negotiations.

Hours later, a string of her own ministers resigned in protest including Dominic Raab, the Brexit Secretary, who warned the plan could lead to the constitutional breakup of the United Kingdom.

May said her agreement was the only way to avoid “a path of deep and grave uncertainty,” adding: "Nobody has produced any alternative proposal.”

But an increasing number of lawmakers now believe that crashing out of the E.U. without any agreement — a so-called “no-deal” scenario — would be better than May’s proposal.

"We're in the Brexs**t,” read Thursday's front page in The Sun, Britain's bestselling tabloid newspaper.

Read more at the seeded content

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

In the next few months to come, we will see if Great Britan will stand or not. Either way, it will be a bumpy road. Will England be better or worse for Brexit? What do you think and why?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

I don't really know enough about it to comment on it, so what do YOU think? - you lived in England. Will leaving Brexit be better or worse for Great Britain? and why?

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
2  The Magic 8 Ball    6 years ago
a so-called “no-deal” scenario — would be better than May’s proposal.

no deal with the devil is always the best deal.

the UK will not be last to leave the globalist bs behind.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @2    6 years ago

Yes it sounds like May’s plan has little support because it is not a good deal. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
2.1.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2.1    6 years ago

the tpp and paris agreement would have done us in like the lisbon treaty did the UK. probably worse.

the people in the uk never knew about, much less voted for the EU govt contained in that treaty.

we are soooooo lucky hillary did not win. she would have trashed our sovereignty like that in the blink of an eye.

"ludicrous" is the only word that describes the idea that countries can not engage in the trade of goods without the creation of globalist rules and regulations controlling those countries engaged in that trade.

regardless good deal or no deal the UK is leaving and that is a good thing.  if the deal sucks bad enough the people will change the politicians soon enough.    if britain simply says "no deal, piss off.  they get their fishing waters, their borders, and their trade decisions back instantly. A MUCH BETTER DEAL than any other deal.

when they started this crap under the marshall plan after ww2 there was a saying...

"where the US and the UK go - the world follows"

now? the UK and US are going back home to nation states and the world WILL follow.  if they wish to do business with us?  they simply have no choice but to abandon their globalist nonsense, if they try to rise up against us?  we will be forced to kick their asses for real.

personally, id rather see the whole world on fire before watching the US pay global taxes and submit to unelected foreign "planners"    our constitution does not allow for that and never will. which is why I assert that if hillary had won and went with globalism in this country? we would have seen civil war v2.0 and I would be living in the United States of Texas... LOL

we dodged a bullet right there no doubt.

I can see a day when the people of the world all get along but the one overseeing world govt idea? pure crap.

local govt governs best and it always will.

cheers :)

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3  bbl-1    6 years ago

Brexit.  Do not know.  But, what is never discussed and has not been investigated are the Russian 'fingerprints' behind the issue and the movement behind it.