╌>

'Out! Out!' Tijuana Protesters Call for Migrant Caravan to Leave

Category:  World News

Via:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  6 years ago  •  135 comments

'Out! Out!' Tijuana Protesters Call for Migrant Caravan to Leave

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

(TIJUANA, Mexico) — Hundreds of Tijuana residents congregated around a monument in an affluent section of the city south of California on Sunday to protest the thousands of Central American migrants who have arrived via caravan in hopes of a new life in the U.S.

Tensions have built as nearly 3,000 migrants from the caravan poured into Tijuana in recent days after more than a month on the road, and with many more months ahead of them while they seek asylum. The federal government estimates the number of migrants could soon swell to 10,000.

U.S. border inspectors are processing only about 100 asylum claims a day at Tijuana’s main crossing to San Diego. Asylum seekers register their names in a tattered notebook managed by migrants themselves that had more than 3,000 names even before the caravan arrived.

On Sunday, displeased Tijuana residents waved Mexican flags, sang the Mexican national anthem and chanted “Out! Out!” in front of a statue of the Aztec ruler Cuauhtemoc, 1 mile (1.6 kilometers) from the U.S. border. They accused the migrants of being messy, ungrateful and a danger to Tijuana. They also complained about how the caravan forced its way into Mexico, calling it an “invasion.” And they voiced worries that their taxes might be spent to care for the group.

“We don’t want them in Tijuana,” protesters shouted.

Juana Rodriguez, a housewife, said the government needs to conduct background checks on the migrants to make sure they don’t have criminal records.

A woman who gave her name as Paloma lambasted the migrants, who she said came to Mexico in search of handouts. “Let their government take care of them,” she told video reporters covering the protest.

A block away, fewer than a dozen Tijuana residents stood with signs of support for the migrants. Keila Samarron, a 38-year-old teacher, said the protesters don’t represent her way of thinking as she held a sign saying: Childhood has no borders.

Most of the migrants who have reached Tijuana via caravan in recent days set out more than a month ago from Honduras, a country of 9 million people. Dozens of migrants in the caravan who have been interviewed by Associated Press reporters have said they left their country after death threats.

But the journey has been hard, and many have turned around.

Alden Rivera, the Honduran ambassador in Mexico, told the AP on Saturday that 1,800 Hondurans have returned to their country since the caravan first set out on Oct. 13, and that he hopes more will make that decision. “We want them to return to Honduras,” said Rivera.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

charger 383
Professor Silent
2  charger 383    6 years ago

We don't want them either

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  JBB  replied to  charger 383 @2    6 years ago

Agribusinesses across rural America are begging for immigrant laborers...

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.1.1  charger 383  replied to  JBB @2.1    6 years ago

and if they are let in and took those jobs, some would complain they were being exploited  

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.1.2  charger 383  replied to  JBB @2.1    6 years ago

"rejected food from the shelter's in Tijuana calling it food fit for pigs."

If that food is not good enough for them, shows they won't take farm work

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.3  JBB  replied to  charger 383 @2.1.2    6 years ago

It does no such thing. Why be afraid of poor refugees fleeing death?

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.1.4  charger 383  replied to  JBB @2.1.3    6 years ago

they act like they can just come here and we have to cater to them and pay for it.  They show they will be ungrateful   

no wonder they did not like them in their home country

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.5  JBB  replied to  charger 383 @2.1.4    6 years ago

They are fleeing servitude or death at the hands of the cartels...

We should fight drug lords and the cartels instead of refugees.

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.1.6  charger 383  replied to  JBB @2.1.5    6 years ago

"We should fight drug lords and the cartels instead of refugees."

Then some would accuse us of being Yankee Imperialists   

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.1.7  Nowhere Man  replied to  JBB @2.1.5    6 years ago

Maybe they should fight the drug lords and cartels instead of becoming refugees?

Ever think of that one?

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Ender  replied to  charger 383 @2.1.6    6 years ago
Then some would accuse us of being Yankee Imperialists

Some think that already.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.9  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @2.1.5    6 years ago

We already do that.  How is that working out with a large illegal immigrant caravan on our border and at least two more forming to come up?

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
2.1.10  Transyferous Rex  replied to  charger 383 @2.1.6    6 years ago

That's exactly right. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1.11  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @2.1.3    6 years ago
Why be afraid of poor refugees fleeing death?

Some might be fleeing death - and they merit asylum. But the majority have openly stated that they're coming to the USA for JOBS and if they have to enter illegally, they WILL.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.12  Tessylo  replied to  charger 383 @2.1.1    6 years ago
'and if they are let in and took those jobs, some would complain they were being exploited'

Who would complain?

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.13  JBB  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1.11    6 years ago

You have zero evidence to base that on except RW hysteria...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.14  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.12    6 years ago
'and if they are let in and took those jobs, some would complain they were being exploited'

That's what you've been saying on all threads about migrants.  

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.1.15  charger 383  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.12    6 years ago

"and if they are let in and took those jobs, some would complain they were being exploited'
        Who would complain?

Probably the same cheerleaders supporting them now

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2  Tessylo  replied to  charger 383 @2    6 years ago
'We don't want them either'

Speak for yourself.  

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.2.1  charger 383  replied to  Tessylo @2.2    6 years ago

I did, many of us don't want them here

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  charger 383 @2.2.1    6 years ago

I live in SE Arizona right on the border. I can tell you for certain we sure do not wnat them!, And I say this as someone who is of Mexican/American heritage!  You will find the majority of border residents do not want them either.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    6 years ago

I guess Mexicans are racist against Guatemalans and Hondurans. It's 6:40 pm Pacific time. Isn't Don Lemon offended at the people of Tijuana yet?

All the way up through Mexico, there was food, toilets, and overnight accommodations for these people? Why, you might ask?

The Left probably imagines that it's because the Mexican people are so compassionate. Well, it's easy to compassionate when you understand that some food and a night's rest will make it easier for this sea of people to move on the next day. Anybody will buy you a sandwich and put up with your smelly butt for a few hours, but it's an entirely different matter when they clearly plan on sticking around for a while. 

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1  JBB  replied to  Tacos! @3    6 years ago

How about some nonhysterical non-misleading perspective? Tijuana has 1.3 million residents which is compared with maybe 100 protesters. So, these protests do not represent shit for Mexico or even represent Tijuana as a whole. The vast majority of Tijuanans and Mexicans wholeheartedly support the refugee caravans. Mexico accommodates the refugees patiently...

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
3.1.1  1stwarrior  replied to  JBB @3.1    6 years ago

And, did you know that if the agribusiness looked at the two Immigration Laws that are on the books and supposedly active, there are ways for them to get the laborers needed.

Simply amazing.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.3  JBB  replied to  Release The Kraken @3.1.2    6 years ago

The article says hundreds not thousands. The video shows more spectators and press than protesters. I stand by what I said. By far and away the vast majority of Mexicans and of Tijuanans support the refugees. Nobody should not be surprised there are some, a few, throwback bassackwards zenophobic nationalist haters in Mexico, too...

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.4  JBB  replied to  1stwarrior @3.1.1    6 years ago

If you do not know yet, thousands of agribusiness jobs are now unfilled...

The refugees will take low paying back breaking jobs like most refugees.

charger 383
Professor Silent
3.1.5  charger 383  replied to  JBB @3.1.4    6 years ago

and some will complain they are being exploited 

Those jobs should pay enough to attract US Citizens

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.6  JBB  replied to  charger 383 @3.1.5    6 years ago

So? Are your desires law? The last I checked we were a nation of laws. Well, unless you are a Trump then all bets are off. You are not a Trump, are you? Remember, "Some will see things as they are and ask why while others imagine things as they should be and ask why not" - Bobby Kennedy...

charger 383
Professor Silent
3.1.7  charger 383  replied to  JBB @3.1.6    6 years ago
         "things as they should be"
That's what I desire

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @3.1    6 years ago

You forgot what the Mayor said

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.9  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @3.1    6 years ago
So, these protests do not represent shit for Mexico or even represent Tijuana as a whole

So why are the residents and the mayor complaining about the invasion of this mob?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.10  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @3.1.3    6 years ago

[Removed]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1.11  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @3.1    6 years ago
How about some nonhysterical non-misleading perspective? Tijuana has 1.3 million residents which is compared with maybe 100 protesters.

On my seed about this issue, you said there were around 200 protesters. Make up your mind.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.12  JBB  replied to  Jasper2529 @3.1.11    6 years ago

One or two hundred protesters in a city of 1.3 million is insignificant...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @3.1.12    6 years ago

And yet a few thousand protestors in Charlotte was a significant event in a country of 320 MILLION+?

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.14  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.13    6 years ago

Charlottesville VA, not Charlotte NC, where the Unite The Right protest occurred has a population of about forty eight thousand souls. So, yes the few thousand protesters there were a lot more significant than a couple hundred in a city of 1.3 million...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @3.1.14    6 years ago

Some on the left have gone bonkers over the "white supremacists" they claim are many and emboldened.

They are an insignificant number in the population of America.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.16  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.15    6 years ago

The white supremisists are fascist scum unlike lawful caravan refugees...

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
3.1.17  MonsterMash  replied to  JBB @3.1.16    6 years ago
lawful caravan refugees

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @3.1.16    6 years ago

Do you know the difference between refugees and asylum seekers?

Do you know any of the legal requirements for either of them?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1.19  arkpdx  replied to  JBB @3.1.16    6 years ago
lawful caravan refugees...

There is no such thing. 

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.20  JBB  replied to  arkpdx @3.1.19    6 years ago

It isn"t illegal to approach any US border to ask for asylum.

Going around spouting nonsense makes you sound nuts...

Refugees from oppression are routinely given legal status.

So, yes, legal refugee status is a real thing that truly exists.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1.21  arkpdx  replied to  JBB @3.1.20    6 years ago

They entered Mexico illegally and by force. That makes them illegal. 

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.22  JBB  replied to  arkpdx @3.1.21    6 years ago

Then why doesn't Mexico arrest them instead of accomodat them?

Legal asylum seekers in Tijuana are lined up to legally enter the US...

They have not broken US laws by approaching our border for refuge.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1.23  arkpdx  replied to  JBB @3.1.22    6 years ago
Then why doesn't Mexico arrest them instead of accomodat them?

Why do liberals in this country bend over backwards to aid the illegal aliens in this US? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.24  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @3.1.16    6 years ago

I highly doubt you know the political leanings of ANY of the people in the caravan.

I think you made that shit up.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
3.1.25  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.24    6 years ago
I highly doubt you know the political leanings of ANY of the people in the caravan

if they want work? conservative

if they want free stuff? liberal

and yet almost none of them will qualify for asylum.

but imagine what they could do together in their own countries.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.26  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.18    6 years ago

Something tells me they do not know the true definition of fascist either. It has become a convenient catch word for many on the left thatvdo not share their views. Don't agree with a progressive liberal then  you're a fascist! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

charger 383
Professor Silent
4  charger 383    6 years ago

Overpopulation is the problem.  Foreigners being allowed in just make the problem in the USA worse 

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1  JBB  replied to  charger 383 @4    6 years ago

Most of America is deserted. Get outside. We need immigrants to grow...

charger 383
Professor Silent
4.1.1  charger 383  replied to  JBB @4.1    6 years ago

there are more people already than nature can handle.  Overcrowding is causing problems, we need to lower our population and raise the standard of living.   

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @4.1    6 years ago

Just ask California- which has far more people than their water resources can handle. So many that they cannot maintain enough water to prevent fires.  Of course it is a leftist dream to turn every state into California.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.3  lennylynx  replied to  charger 383 @4.1.1    6 years ago

While I agree with your sentiments about overpopulation globally, North America is not overpopulated. 

It's incredible to me that we are not willing to do anything about overpopulation when birth control is so easy.  It comes down to personal selfishness.  It's a wonderful experience creating a new human being, having your own child produced by your own body, and one that we are unwilling to give up no matter how serious a problem overpopulation becomes.

Incredibly, people who choose not to have children are actually ostracized by society, even looked upon with suspicion.  We are still congratulated on having children and grandchildren, as if it's some kind of great accomplishment, when in fact, it's a selfish and irresponsible thing to do in this day and age.

If a person really wants to raise children, then adopt from a third world country and help the problem, instead of selfishly making it worse by producing another human that this world simply does not need.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @4.1    6 years ago

"Grow" and vote democrat

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Kathleen @4.1.5    6 years ago

Hopefully they will all stay in California.

After all, why go anywhere else when sanctuary is almost guaranteed by the state?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.1.7  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @4.1    6 years ago
Most of America is deserted. Get outside. We need immigrants to grow...

That was true in the 1700s and 1800s. Newsflash - it's 2018! And these people are not immigrants. If they don't enter through legal points of entry, they are illegal aliens.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.8  JBB  replied to  Kathleen @4.1.5    6 years ago

They will likely go to rural America to do hard labor to support themselves...

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.9  Tacos!  replied to  JBB @4.1    6 years ago
Most of America is deserted.

Where it is, it's with good reason.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6  dave-2693993    6 years ago

My question is this:

There are people all around the earth who have waited in line after having applied for asylum months and years ago. They have been and continue to be in line.

What happens to their possition in line as these thousands of applicants begin their processing?

I know what the practice was in prior administrations. What is going to happen under this one?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1  Jasper2529  replied to  dave-2693993 @6    6 years ago

From what I've read, people in current and future Central American caravans will not be put ahead of people who've been patiently waiting for months and years. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1    6 years ago
From what I've read, people in current and future Central American caravans will not be put ahead of people who've been patiently waiting for months and years. 

Try again, 9 hours ago this came into being,

asylum
Federal judge Jon Tigar issued his ruling against the president Monday night
He said immigrants who cross into the U.S. illegally should be able to apply for asylum
Thousands of Central Americans are making their way north in a caravan; about 3,000 have already arrived in Tijuana, Mexico
Tigar - an Obama nominee - said Trump 'may not rewrite the immigration laws' that Congress passes
So far 107 people have applied for asylum at regular 'ports of entry,' the result the Trump administration was trying to generate

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.3  dave-2693993  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.1.1    6 years ago
asylumFederal judge Jon Tigar issued his ruling against the president Monday nightHe said immigrants who cross into the U.S. illegally should be able to apply for asylumThousands of Central Americans are making their way north in a caravan; about 3,000 have already arrived in Tijuana, MexicoTigar - an Obama nominee - said Trump 'may not rewrite the immigration laws' that Congress passesSo far 107 people have applied for asylum at regular 'ports of entry,' the result the Trump administration was trying to generate

This does not speak towards prioritization, which is what my question is about.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.4  dave-2693993  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1    6 years ago

This is what I am hopeful for.

I am not saying to prevent anyone from apply for asylum, rather my hope is that folks already in line get to keep their place in line.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1.5  Jasper2529  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.1.1    6 years ago
Try again, 9 hours ago this came into being,

A leftie judge deemed 107 out of 3000+ migrants worthy of asylum. Your point?

Let's see what SCOTUS has to say about this, m'kay?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.1.6  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  dave-2693993 @6.1.3    6 years ago
This does not speak towards prioritization, which is what my question is about

I don't believe any of them will be pushed to the front of the line by this administration unless they are white and, from Norway.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.1.7  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1.5    6 years ago
A leftie judge deemed 107 out of 3000+ migrants worthy of asylum. Your point? Let's see what SCOTUS has to say about this, m'kay?

Reread the order, 

Federal judge Jon Tigar issued his ruling against the president Monday night
He said immigrants who cross into the U.S. illegally should be able to apply for asylum
Thousands of Central Americans are making their way north in a caravan; about 3,000 have already arrived in Tijuana, Mexico

The 107 you mention are the FIRST to fall under this ruling, there are thousands more coming that this ruling will apply to.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1.8  Jasper2529  replied to  dave-2693993 @6.1.4    6 years ago
I am not saying to prevent anyone from apply for asylum, rather my hope is that folks already in line get to keep their place in line.

Exactly. The USA has a very long history of providing legitimate asylum and emigration to those who wish to legally come to our nation.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.9  dave-2693993  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1.8    6 years ago

You know, I should have expended my thought about keeping ones place in line to include those following normal immigration channels as well.

Pushing some further back in the line and letting some step right in front has been one of the flaws in the system. this benefits some at the expense on others who have been waiting.

That is an area in our immigration policy I would like to see addressed.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.10  dave-2693993  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.1.6    6 years ago
I don't believe any of them will be pushed to the front of the line by this administration unless they are white and, from Norway.

I don't want to see that group or any other moved in front of folks who have waited in line.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.1.11  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  dave-2693993 @6.1.10    6 years ago
I don't want to see that group or any other moved in front of folks who have waited in line.

If it's any consolation to you Dave, I think the immigration judges have the say so since they are the ones who set up the dockets.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
6.1.12  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.1.7    6 years ago
there are thousands more coming that this ruling will apply to.

not counting the caravan who btw are at the back of the line...

the asylum line is long enough that the supreme court will overturn that judge first.

why rush to process them?  the longer it takes the better.

cheers :)

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
7  The Magic 8 Ball    6 years ago

this should have been done decades ago.

here is the before... and now.

the backlogs for asylum seekers will force mexicali to deal with them for a very long time.

tensions will flare and trouble will ensue on that side of the border.

mexico will eventually realize they should have stopped these folks on their southern border when they had the chance.

I wonder how long mexico continues making that mistake now that they realize they will have to pay the cost??

but regardless... I like the new look at the border.

cheers :)

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
8  The Magic 8 Ball    6 years ago

just look at all the peaceful asylum seekers.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
8.1  KDMichigan  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @8    6 years ago

Oh my look at all them women and children being gassed. Trump is despicable. I can't believe America has devolved to this. jrSmiley_52_smiley_image.gif

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
8.1.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  KDMichigan @8.1    6 years ago

tijuana is the new ellis island.

charger 383
Professor Silent
9  charger 383    6 years ago

That wall needs NO VACANCY signs put on top of it 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
10  1stwarrior    6 years ago

Hmmm - where is President Eisenhower when you need him?

"Operation Wetback was a system of tactical control and cooperation within the U.S. Border Patrol and alongside the Mexican government. [28]  Planning between the INS, led by  Gen. Joseph Swing  as appointed by President Eisenhower, and the Mexican government began in early 1954 while the program was formally announced in May 1954. [29]   Harlon Carter , then head of the Border Patrol, was a leader of Operation Wetback. [30]  On May 17, command teams of 12 Border Patrol agents, buses, planes, and temporary processing stations began locating, processing, and deporting Mexicans who had illegally entered the United States. A total of 750 immigration and border patrol officers and investigators; 300 jeeps, cars and buses; and seven airplanes were allocated for the operation. [31]  Teams were focused on quick processing, as planes were able to coordinate with ground efforts and quickly deport people into Mexico. [32]  Those deported were handed off to Mexican officials, who in turn moved them into central Mexico where there were many labor opportunities. [33]  While the operation included the cities of  Los Angeles San Francisco , and  Chicago , its main targets were border areas in  Texas  and  California . [32]

Overall, there were 1,074,277 "returns", defined as "confirmed movement of an inadmissible or deportable alien out of the United States not based on an order of removal" [34]  in the first year of Operation Wetback. This included many illegal immigrants who fled to Mexico fearing arrest; over half a million from Texas alone. [35]  The total number of immigration enforcement actions would fall to just 242,608 in 1955, and would continuously decline by year until 1962, when there was a slight rise in apprehended workers. [36]  Despite the decline in immigration enforcement actions, the total number of Border Patrol agents more than doubled to 1,692 by 1962, and an additional plane was also added to the force. [36]

During the entirety of the Operation, border recruitment of illegal workers by American growers continued, due largely to the low cost of illegal labor, and the desire of growers to avoid the bureaucratic obstacles of the Bracero program. The continuation of illegal immigration despite the efforts of Operation Wetback was largely responsible for the failure of the program. [37]

One of the biggest problems caused by the program for the deportees was sending them to unfamiliar parts of Mexico, where they would struggle to find their way home or to continue to support their families. [41]  More than 25% of apprehended Mexicans were returned to  Veracruz  on cargo ships, while others were transported by land to southern cities in Mexico. [42]  Those apprehended were often deported without receiving the opportunity to recover their property in the United States, or to contact their families (at least, for the time being). They were often stranded without any food or employment when they were released in Mexico. [43]  Deported Mexicans sometimes faced extreme conditions in their country; 88 deported workers died in the 112 °F (44 °C) heat in July 1955. [32]  Another issue was repeated illegal border crossings by those who had been previously deported; from 1960 through 1961, repeaters accounted for 20% of the total deportees. [36]  "

And SCOTUS didn't overturn this.

And then we had President Ronald Reagan -  

President Reagan, in 1986, signed the Immigration Reform and Control Act, which legalized close to 3 million undocumented immigrants. The laws were supposed to be a comprehensive solution with provisions intended to clamp down on border security. These provisions were never enforced, and the subsequent explosion in illegal crossings has resulted in some 21 million illegal aliens living in the United States today. An estimated 1.8 million illegal immigrants are currently residing in Texas, compared with 1.1 million in 2000. In ten years, that represents an increase of 54 percent, or 70,000 persons each year coming to our state illegally.

In his diaries, President Ronald Reagan said he was going to sign the bill because we had to regain control of our borders. The Simpson-Mazzoli bill contained three promises:

1. The government would make a concerted effort to control the borders.
  2. An effective employer verification program would ensure that only legal workers were hired.
  3. One-time amnesty would be granted for people illegally in the United States.

All three promises were broken. The government has made no serious effort to control our borders. Employers continue knowingly to hire illegal immigrants without any real fear of punishment.