╌>

Palestinians: No Difference Between Hamas and Fatah

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  6 years ago  •  15 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

by   Khaled Abu Toameh , Gatestone Institute, December 6, 2018

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas's hatred of Hamas is far from secret. But Abbas is now defending Hamas because he despises the Trump administration, which has sponsored a UN draft resolution that condemns Hamas. Pictured: Abbas (right) meets with Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh on May 30, 2007 in the Gaza Strip. (Photo by Abu Askar/PPO via Getty Images)

Has Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas changed his position toward his rivals in Hamas? This is the question that some Palestinians have been asking in the wake of Abbas's opposition to a US-sponsored   draft resolution   that asks the United Nations General Assembly to condemn Hamas for repeatedly firing rockets at Israel and instigating violence.

Abbas's hatred of Hamas is far from secret. For years – and until today – Abbas has used every available platform to launch scathing attacks on Hamas.

He   accused   Hamas of foiling Arab efforts to end the dispute with his ruling Fatah faction.

He   accused   Hamas of masterminding a series of explosions targeting the homes of some of his senior Fatah officials in the Gaza Strip.

He   accused   Hamas of staging a coup in 2007 against his Palestinian Authority (PA) in the Gaza Strip and seeking to establish a separate Palestinian there.

He   accused   Hamas of standing behind the botched assassination attempt on his prime minister, Rami Hamdallah, in the Gaza Strip earlier this year. He even made a metaphoric remark that, "shoes will be pouring on the heads of Hamas leaders."

In his last speech at the UN General Assembly, Abbas   repeated   his charges against Hamas and threatened to impose new punitive measures against the Gaza Strip unless Hamas allows his government to assume full control over the Hamas-ruled coastal enclave.

In the past few days, however, the rhetoric of Abbas and his senior officials in Ramallah toward Hamas has made a 180 degree turn. What is behind this sudden change? Has Abbas discovered that he was mistaken about Hamas all these years and that its leaders, Ismail Haniyeh, Mahmoud Zahar and Yeyha Sinwar are actually his good buddies?

The US-sponsored UN draft resolution condemning Hamas seems to have brought Hamas and Fatah closer to each other. Just last week, it seemed that Egyptian   efforts   to end the Hamas-Fatah rivalry had once again belly-flopped.

The Palestinian Authority and Fatah are strongly opposed to all the policies of the US administration. They have already rejected US President Donald Trump's yet-to-be-announced plan for peace in the Middle East, widely known as the "deal of the century." They have rejected Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital. They have rejected and condemned Trump's transfer of the US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. They have rejected and condemned Trump's decision to cut financial aid to the PA and UNRWA.

Now, in line with their refusal to accept anything that emerges from the Trump administration, the Palestinian Authority and Fatah have also found themselves in the awkward position of needing to reject and denounce the US initiative to condemn Hamas for firing rockets at Israel.

It is supposedly fine for Abbas and his officials to condemn Hamas on a daily basis. It is supposedly not fine, however, for the US administration to condemn Hamas for its terrorist attacks against Israel. This is the logic of the Palestinian Authority, which has also been imposing financial and economic sanctions on the Gaza Strip in the past year. The sanctions include, among other things, the suspension of salaries to thousands of civil servants, cutting financial aid to needy families in the Gaza Strip, and refusing to pay for fuel and electricity supplied by Israel to the residents living under Hamas.

Abbas and Hamas have been   working   separately to thwart the US draft resolution at the UN General Assembly. Abbas has instructed his envoy to the UN to make an effort to foil the anti-Hamas resolution, while Hamas leaders have been urging Arab and Muslim leaders and governments to help thwart the US initiative.

"Despite all our differences with Hamas, we are categorically opposed to the American and Israeli attempt to label Hamas a terrorist group,"   explained   Osama Qawassmeh, a senior Fatah official. We will fight to thwart the US resolution."

Another senior Fatah official, Abbas Zaki, was even more adamant in his defense of Hamas. "Hamas belongs to us and we belong to Hamas," he   said . "If Hamas, which is practicing resistance, is considered a terrorist organization, this would mean that all Palestinians are practicing terrorism. Hamas, like all Palestinian factions, is a national liberation movement."

Abbas and Fatah are defending Hamas not out of love for Hamas, but because they despise the Trump administration to the extent that they are willing to go to bat for their arch-rivals in Hamas. Judging from the statements of some of Abbas's top officials, it is nevertheless clear that they fear that a condemnation of Hamas would pave the way for similar moves against other Palestinian factions, including the Palestinian president's own Fatah.

As Palestinian political analyst   Emad Omar put it , "The proposed US resolution is harmful to the Palestinians' right of resistance. As president of the Palestinians, Abbas is forced to defend Hamas and any other Palestinian faction."

Hamas, for its part, has expressed   gratitude   to Abbas and Fatah for their strong opposition to the US-sponsored draft resolution.

Does all this mean that Fatah and Hamas have agreed to patch up their differences and open a new page in their relations? The answer, of course, is no. This is obviously a short-lived honeymoon that will end the day after the UN General Assembly vote on the anti-Hamas resolution. Abbas wants to score points on the Palestinian street by showing that he is capable of challenging the US administration at the UN. For now, Abbas is prepared to swallow the bitter pill of defending Hamas. The morning after the vote, Abbas will wake up to the realization that Hamas was a strange bedfellow indeed.

Khaled Abu Toameh, an award-winning journalist based in Jerusalem, is a Shillman Journalism Fellow at Gatestone Institute.

Article is LOCKED by moderator [smarty_function_ntUser_get_name: user_id or profile_id parameter required]
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

The US-proposed resolution will not pass in the UN General Assembly anyway, because the Arab bloc and all the oil-dependant nations that pander to them will vote against it. So the rockets and missiles rained on Israeli citizens, and arson burning thousands of acres of Israeli forests, orchards, crops and wild animals therein will be considered by the UN General Assembly to be "peaceful protest".

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    6 years ago

And I was right - a two thirds majority was asked for by the Arabs, and they got it, and even though a comfortable majority voted to pass the resolution it did not meet the two thirds majority. I wish Israel would give up trying to be a pussy, sending its humanitarian aid to ANY country, friend or foe, and instead limit it to those who voted for the resolution and fuck those who voted against it and even those who abstained and even those that didn't show up - there was a reason they didn't.  Anyone who did NOT vote for that resolution is an enemy, even if it includes the country I live in, and I don't know what Canada did but I'll be it abstained, in which case I will hate my own country.

It is not the only reason I feel the way I do about Canada.  This is yet another reason:

Hate crimes against Jews spike 60% higher than the previous year.

Thanks to you and your policies, Justin Trudeau.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2  Ronin2    6 years ago

Hamas and Fatah are both corrupt to the core. Neither have represented the Palestinian people for a very long time. Both are concerned about nothing more than maintaining, and expanding, their power over the Palestinians.

However, both Hamas and Fatah want their power struggle to be settled among themselves. It is one thing for Fatah (the PA) to withhold funds from Hamas; and for Hamas to target PA officials.  It is quite another if Israel and the US get involved in that conflict. Would the Palestinian people recognize Fatah if they allowed Hamas to be declared a world terrorist organization?  That would give Israel free reign to deal with them as they feel needed. Imagine the Palestinian civilian casualties involved in an Israeli invasion of Gaza; considered one of the most densely populated areas in the world. Fatah will never agree to letting that happen.

As for the rest of the rant in the article.

They have rejected Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital.  They have rejected and condemned Trump's transfer of the US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

Anyone that doesn't understand why the PA, Hamas, the Palestinians, and much of the world is against this doesn't understand religion or politics. Trump basically handed Israel full power in a place that the Palestinians also want as their capital. Also, it has religious significance to all of the major religions of the world; so it is being opposed on that basis as well.

Some evangelical leaders who generally support the president's Jerusalem decision, however, fear the repercussions for their own Palestinian Christian followers. Muslim leaders in the Palestinian territories have warned there will be a reaction there to the president's announcement. The governments of Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Turkey all expressed alarm at Trump's decision, as did Muslim leaders in the U.S.

"The reality is that Palestinians have existed for generations on the land of Palestine [and] in Jerusalem," said Osama Abuirshaid, a board member of the American Muslims for Palestine, at a news conference near the White House. "[Trump] cannot deny this reality," Abuirshaid said. "He spoke about the Jewish connection to Jerusalem while negating the Christian and Muslim connection to the land and to the holy city."

Pope Francis advised against "adding new elements of tension in a world already shaken and scarred by many cruel conflicts." The heads of several Christian churches in Jerusalem, in a joint letter to Trump, said a unilateral change in the status of Jerusalem by the U.S. government "will yield increased hatred, conflict, violence, and suffering in Jerusalem and the Holy Land ... [and] cause irreparable harm."

A similar warning came from Elizabeth Eaton, the presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, the largest Lutheran group in the U.S.

"This announcement," Eaton said, "has a high probability of leading to violence and bloodshed and not ... getting any closer to having the two parties come to the table again."

Eaton spoke following a meeting in Geneva with fellow Lutheran chuch leaders from around the world, including those in Jordan and other Arab countries.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/regional-leaders-accuse-trump-of-trying-to-blow-up-the-region-with-jerusalem-move/2017/12/07/05aaee6e-db42-11e7-a841-2066faf731ef_story.html?utm_term=.a1d1236e86b3

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/12/06/its-catastrophic-u-s-allies-reject-trumps-expected-jerusalem-pronouncement/?utm_term=.7bdd55ab9f01

They have rejected and condemned Trump's decision to cut financial aid to the PA and UNRWA.

Seems the author forgot that the PA and Fatah are one in the same. Why would Fatah be upset that financial aid be cut when the already have sanctions against Hamas; and are doing their best (geographic limitations) to limit Hamas' power?/S

If you are pro Israel the UN Draft resolution was a no brainer,  If you are on of the ones that is  tired of the whole shit show of the middle east it was just another attempt to up the tension levels among all parties.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ronin2 @2    6 years ago

Any thoughts on the rain of missiles and rockets and incendiary kites and balloons being flown to Israel? The "attack" tunnels?  The attempts to breach the fence? 

I really don't care what what lies CAIR and the Imams and duplicitous Arabs tell. Takkiyah  I especially don't bother to listen to the Imams preach to their flocks to kill the Jews.  The media won't report that because they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

There won't be a deal between Fatah and Hamas because Hamas won't give up the weapons they need to kill the Jews with.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Got very tired early, so I'm locking this article for the night.  It's a little after 9:30 pm where I am, but I will reopen it in about 10 or 11 hours.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

This seed is now unlocked for the day (MY day, not yours. LOL)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Although this seed appears to be of little interest, since it is 10 pm where I am and I'm turning off my computer, I am now locking this seed for the night and will reopen it in about 9 or 10 hours from now.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Now unlocked.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Out for the day so I am locking comments.  I will reopen the article for comments in 7 or 8 hours which will be your Saturday morning.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

I'm back. Article is now unlocked. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

After 10 pm and it's sleepytime - locking comments for the night - reopen in about 9 or 10 hours from now.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Having just made and enjoyed a great breakfast of scrambled eggs, cherry tomatoes, toast (one with raspberry jam the other with marmalade), a McDonald's style breakfast hash brown (I buy them by the frozen package of 10 - they're made in Canada), 3 pork and cheese sausages (a double sin), coffee and orange juice, I have now reopened this article for comments.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

It's almost 10:30 p.m. in my location, so I am now locking this article for the night.  I will reopen it in about 9 or 10 hours. Good morning to most, and good night to only a couple.