╌>

DNC Chair Tom Perez Bashes Christianity as Republican Organizing Tool

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  mbfc-is-censorship-tool  •  6 years ago  •  44 comments

DNC Chair Tom Perez Bashes Christianity as Republican Organizing Tool
Speaking at a function for left wing group Demand Action, the DNC’s chairman complained that Christianity was hurting Democrats because people who go to church tend to be instilled with Republican values. “And I had someone in northwest Wisconsin tell me: ‘You know what? For most of the people I know, their principle sources of information are Fox News, the NRA newsletter and the pulpit on Sunday.’ And it should come as a surprise to no-one that our message doesn’t penetrate,” Tom Perez...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Speaking at a function for left wing group Demand Action, the DNC’s chairman complained that Christianity was hurting Democrats because people who go to church tend to be instilled with Republican values.

“And I had someone in northwest Wisconsin tell me: ‘You know what? For most of the people I know, their principle sources of information are Fox News, the NRA newsletter and the pulpit on Sunday.’ And it should come as a surprise to no-one that our message doesn’t penetrate,” Tom Perez said .

How dare those conservative Republicans believe in God! It’s bad for leftist messaging, after all.

“It should come as a surprise to no-one that that person has elevated the issue of courts to the top because that person on the pulpit is saying ‘ignore everything else that this person has done and is doing, we have to focus on one issue of Roe vs. Wade.’ And people buy it. Because that’s their only source,” he continued.

Perez obviously has not stepped into a church in a while. As noted by the few outspokenly pro-life pastors, getting most Christian pastors to discuss, much less denounce abortion is a difficult task. They fear alienating their major donors, board members and their church membership by being too politically controversial, regardless of the Bible’s teachings. In fact, it is one of the toughest issues plaguing Evangelical Christianity today.

“If you haven’t noticed, there’s a blood-filled gap between what the church believes and what the church does,” said a recent  Relearn Church  article. “Unfortunately, this inconsistency isn’t exclusive to abortion. Because of the church’s lethargy in effecting culture, it has lost much of its moral high ground in just about every politically charged topic of our time.”

Perez’s speech highlights how out of touch Democrats truly are with ordinary Americans. His idea of Christianity is exactly what one would expect of a non-Christian – that everyone who goes to church is brainwashed by conservative talking points. In reality, the Christianity has sadly become much more progressive in America.

Perhaps the reason the Democrats “message doesn’t penetrate” is not because of the church, but because they are out touch with ordinary Americans.

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

.....Rather than reconsidering the issue, wondering whether the pastor has good reasons to protect life before birth, Perez suggested that religion is to blame for the stupidity of the electorate, especially the pro-life crowd.

Perez has consistently drawn a line in the sandon abortion, and polling suggests he may be alienating many self-identified Democrats from their party. Many Democrats agree with certain time limits on abortion, but the DNC chair has proven uncompromising.

"Every Democrat, like every American, should support a woman's right to make her own choices about her body and her health," DNC Chair Tom Perez said in a statement last April. "That is not negotiable and should not change city by city or state by state."

If Democrats take a hard pro-abortion stance and close themselves off from the possibility that life begins at conception — when an individual human being with unique DNA enters the world — they will likely become more hostile to religious conservatives. Even secular Americans often believe life begins at conception, however. It is a matter of science, as well as faith....  https://pjmedia.com/video/dnc-chair-tom-perez-blasts-religion-people-buy-it/

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    6 years ago

Anyone with an IQ above room temperature knows who and what he's talking about. Without the gullible sheep, their tax exempt status, and the same tired wedge issues that appear prior to every election, the GOtP would be extinct by now. I have zero respect for born again scum that espouse unamerican and unconstitutional ideologies while using that same Constitution as a shield to propagate the distribution of their twisted ideals. Main stream religious organizations also suffer from the religious/political activists that hide behind the general label of Christianity. I'll never recognize any fringe religious sects that claim to be Christian for the sole benefit of it's tax exempt status and the cash cow it represents for the exclusive use by the right. The same unamerican trash that whines and cries about being forced to pay for things that are counter to their fragile beliefs seem to have no problem with everyone else picking up the tax burden they create with their tax exemptions as bogus charities. I will continue to mock their claims of religious persecution and oppose any need of additional religious freedom legislation unless that legislation includes means testing for eligibility of their tax exemptions. Their support of the teavangelical political savior and demigod in the white house is a glaring testament of the adherence to their bullshit faith and values. Who was it that said money is the root of all evil so long ago? Women's freedom of choice for decisions involving what healthcare is best for them is the law. If non-secular scum attempt to illegally impose their beliefs on others, they can expect opposition in kind. IMO the karmic invoice of watching some thumpers leaving Planned Parenthood clinics feet first on the TV news is way overdue. 

lib50
Professor Silent
1.2  lib50  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    6 years ago

You just can't let women make their own healthcare decisions, can you?   I don't believe what you do.  Period. And I'm not an atheist.  You need to stop trying to force your interpretation of your religious dictates.  Live them.  And let women live theirs.   Your entire spiel on when life begins means nothing to me or most people.  After what evangelicals have embraced with Trump, they can stick their beliefs up their own asses, thank you very much, and leave the rest of us alone with ours.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.1  devangelical  replied to  lib50 @1.2    6 years ago

the inalienable rights crowd believes that free will belongs to them exclusively. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.2.2  MrFrost  replied to  devangelical @1.2.1    6 years ago

Exactly... They think freedom of religion means their religion ONLY. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.2.3  cjcold  replied to  devangelical @1.2.1    6 years ago

In the long run, does anybody actually have free will?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  lib50 @1.2    6 years ago

Still bitter that evangelical Christians deprived Hillary Clinton of the Presidency?  I’m still happy she’s not our President.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  cjcold @1.2.3    6 years ago

Everyone who ever lived, is living now, and will ever live has had, has, will have free will. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    6 years ago

Dosen't Perez realize how important Christianity is to most Hispanics. They are not all newcomers who can't speak English. Many have been here for generations and don't need to depend on Univision (which probably wouldn't report that speech).  I thought the democrats wanted to patronize Hispanics forever and ever?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1  MrFrost  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    6 years ago
I thought the democrats wanted to patronize Hispanics forever and ever?

Don't need to. When trump called them rapists and murderers, he recruited for the dems. Words have consequences. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  MrFrost @2.1    6 years ago

"In this group of people there's a series of vicious people who are dedicated to other activities, raising the possibility that many of the "undesirables," as he called them, are using drugs. "I have to say there are some good people, [but also] some awful people for our city.".....Mayor Gastélum of Tijuana

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.1    6 years ago

The mayor and Trump are both right.  Trumps support among Hispanic Americans has been growing since he defeated Hillary in 2016.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    6 years ago

Hispanics know the difference between legal immigrants which most of them are and illegals who increasingly are becoming dependent upon government upon arrival and commit crimes while here.  They also know illegals compete with them for jobs and depress wage rates.  Lastly the economic opportunities for Hispanics is at an all time high with Trump and their unemployment at an all time low.  

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
3  Studiusbagus    6 years ago

Cam't even get your lies straight....

Speaking at a function for left wing group Demand Action, the DNC’s chairman complained that Christianity was hurting Democrats because people who go to church tend to be instilled with Republican values. “And I had someone in northwest Wisconsin tell me: ‘You know what? For most of the people I know, their principle sources of information are Fox News, the NRA newsletter and the pulpit on Sunday.’ And it should come as a surprise to no-one that our message doesn’t penetrate,” Tom Perez...

The actual accounting:

They’ve had a big orchestra for some time and they’ve got the megaphones to amplify it, whether it’s Sinclair at a local level or Fox at a national level. I’ve learned this from the outreach we’ve done at the DNC . ‘Why aren’t we penetrating?’ I ask And I had someone in Northwestern Wisconsin tell me, ‘you know what, for most of the people I know, their principal sources of information are Fox News, their NRA newsletter, and the pulpit on Sunday.’”

He didn't complain, he asked. And the person from NW Wisconsin made that statement.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Studiusbagus @3    6 years ago

The link to your source confirms the seeded article view and account.  “Tom Perez laments the pulpit religious messages”

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
3.1.1  Studiusbagus  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1    6 years ago

Yeah, funny how yours changes the dialogue.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4  MrFrost    6 years ago
instilled with Republican values.

Most have no values. How can they claim to have values after voting for trump....who has no values?

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1  devangelical  replied to  MrFrost @4    6 years ago

those are thumper values. ie: hypocritical

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @4    6 years ago

No values at all are better than the so called values that Hillary claimed for herself.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.1  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2    6 years ago

keep on talking. the political sky is getting darker, the patter of subpoenas is getting louder, the hailstorm of indictments is about to begin, and the tornado that levels fascist-ville is forming above in the clouds. Americans are just around the corner from discovering the shiny gilded values of the self righteous are nothing more than shit wrapped in gold colored tin foil, just like their beloved administration.   

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.2.2  MrFrost  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2    6 years ago

How many times has Hillary been married? Once.

Trump? 3 times, and he has cheated on them all.

Values? Hillary has them....trump? I doubt that piece of shit can even SPELL "values". 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5  MrFrost    6 years ago
DNC Chair Tom Perez Bashes Christianity As Republican Organizing Tool

1) Freedom of speech.

2) Yet another, "I am the victim" article. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @5    6 years ago

Actually it’s Perez pretending his party to be the victim of religion.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6  MrFrost    6 years ago

You can use media bias fact check on your articles? So can I...

right031.png?resize=600%2C67&ssl=1 RIGHT BIAS

These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy.  See all Right Bias sources.

Factual Reporting:  MIXED

History

Big League Politics is an Alt-Right news and opinion blog founded by Patrick Howley, former writer for the far right  Daily Caller  and  Breitbart . According to their about page “Big League Politics is a fast-paced news site led by a team of top-level investigative reporters, filmmakers, and citizen journalists all over the country. We challenge powerful politicians in both the Republican and Democratic Parties. We are not conservative. We are not liberal. We are road warriors fighting the good fight for journalism.” They further state that “All stories on Big League Politics are factually accurate.” 

Funded by / Ownership

In early 2018, Big League Politics was   acquired   by   Mustard Seed Media , a company run by a political consultant who previously worked for Moore’s campaign. Funding is not disclosed, but appears to be through online advertising.

Analysis / Bias

In reviewing articles on the Big League Politics website it is clear that the sole mission is to promote the agenda of President Trump. Essentially, this could be classified as a propaganda media arm for the President. While there are nice examples of well sourced journalism on this website there are also unproven conspiracy type stories. For example, in one article the author is making the claim that Justice John Roberts was   hacked by Obama officials   as evidence of a Deep State conspiracy. The source of this audio is from  two discredited public figures . In other stories, there is the use of conspiracy theorists as sources of information.   In this story , they are relying on   Infowars’ Alex Jones   and fellow conspiracy theorist   Roger Stone   for information and opinion. Overall, the blog is well written, but with a strong right wing bias in story selection. Many stories are factual or at the very least rooted in fact, but there are some stories that are unproven with conclusions being drawn by the authors. These stories are propaganda at best and conspiracy theories at worst.

A   factual search   reveals some   failed fact checks.

Overall, we rate Big League Politics strongly Right Biased based on story selection that favors the right and Mixed for factual reporting due to use of poor sources and promotion of conspiracy theories. (D. Van Zandt 8/2/2017) Updated (6/22/2018)

Source: 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1  Tacos!  replied to  MrFrost @6    6 years ago

I don't understand. What do you think the impact of that bias is on this story? Simply posting one website's opinion about the bias of some other website doesn't make much of a point.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @6.1    6 years ago

I have never understood that fallacy either.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @6    6 years ago

And your point here is.....?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7  MrFrost    6 years ago

This article is from a known fake news/conspiracy site. I am all for freedom of speech, but this is literally fake news BS. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @7    6 years ago

It’s not listed as questionable by the jerk wad idiot site above so deal with it.  I Like that this site is right on that borderline.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1    6 years ago

Huh?

right031.png?resize=600%2C67&ssl=1 RIGHT BIAS

Factual Reporting:  MIXED

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1    6 years ago
It’s not listed as questionable

How is mixed factual reporting NOT questionable? You have got to be kidding me. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.1.3  MrFrost  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1    6 years ago
I Like that this site is right on that borderline.

The borderline between "far right" and, "extreme"? 

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.4  devangelical  replied to  MrFrost @7.1.3    6 years ago

[Removed]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @7.1.2    6 years ago

Does it say questionable source or does it say right bias?  Believe me, I get that his ratings are totally arbitrary and capricious and tinged with vindictiveness if anyone goes public against his personal rating of them.  He listed the seeded article site as right bias and that he said what he did that you quoted is why it’s now a favorite of mine here.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.6  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @7.1.3    6 years ago

Exactly!  At least in the mind of the reviewer there.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @7    6 years ago

The bottom line is that the article was carried by many different sources and they all said virtually the same thing. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
8  PJ    6 years ago

It's hard for me to listen to Mr. Perez.  He has this one tooth that distracts me.  It's very annoying.  He should get those invisible braces.  I mean, he's the face of the party right now and I can't look at his face because of that darn tooth!  Someone needs to be his friend and tell him.  I nominate BF.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
10  Tacos!    6 years ago

I haven't been in every church in America, but my sense is that most preachers aren't looking to be controversial or even political at all. There's too much risk of driving people away.

Also, it doesn't need to be that one party is Christian and the other not. The differences in the parties aren't even supposed to be about that.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
10.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @10    6 years ago

That is the bottom line. There are people of right and left, Republican and Democrat in church and taking political sides in campaigns during elections does divide and distracts from the message of the kingdom that really matters that is presently not of this world.