╌>

Supreme Court gives victory to Planned Parenthood in Medicaid case

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  6 years ago  •  262 comments

Supreme Court gives victory to Planned Parenthood in Medicaid case
Three of the court's conservatives said the court should have taken up the case, but Justice Kavanaugh and Chief Justice Roberts voted with the majority.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Pete Williams

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday left lower court victories intact for Planned Parenthood in a legal battle with states over access by Medicaid patients to the group's services.

The dispute did not involve abortion, but the action by the justices keeps a hot-button political issue off the docket. Three of the court's conservatives said the court should have taken the case.

After an anti-abortion group released videos in 2015 that purported to show officials from Planned Parenthood talking about selling fetal tissue, several states immediately terminated Medicaid provider agreements with the group's affiliates. The videos were largely discredited, but the states involved said they found the allegations troubling.

Medicaid patients in Kansas and Louisiana, two of the states that took action against Planned Parenthood, claimed the states violated Medicaid's requirement that patients must be free to seek their health care from any qualified and willing provider. They sued, and lower federal courts found in their favor, entering injunctions that ordered those states to lift their bans.

In declining to take up the states' appeals, the Supreme Court's action on Monday leaves those lower court victories for the Medicaid patients in place.

Planned Parenthood offers Medicaid patients vaccines, wellness examinations, screening for breast and cervical cancer, contraception services and pregnancy testing. But abortion is not offered, because federal funds cannot pay for them except in cases of rape, incest or life endangerment. The Kansas affiliate said it provides "essential medical care for hundreds of low-income Kansans each year."

The states argued that the Medicaid law does not give individual patients the right to sue when health care providers are excluded. If a state acts improperly, they said, the law provides only one remedy: The federal government can withhold Medicaid funds from the states. "Allowing private enforcement destroys the careful balance Congress established between the states and federal agencies," lawyers for Louisiana told the court.

Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito and Neil Gorsuch said the court should have taken up the appeals because the issue of whether Medicaid recipients can sue is an important one.

"These cases are not about abortion rights," Thomas wrote. "So what explains the court's refusal to do its job here? I suspect it has something to do with the fact that some respondents in these cases are named 'Planned Parenthood.'"

"Some tenuous connection to a politically fraught issue does not justify abdicating our judicial duty," he said.

The states had argued that with more than 70 million people enrolled in Medicaid, allowing individuals to sue could swamp the system and interfere with state systems for evaluating health care providers.

Planned Parenthood urged the court not to take up the state appeals, arguing that the lower court rulings involved preliminary injunctions, not final rulings on the merits of the lawsuits.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

Thoughts?

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1  epistte  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

I was surprised at the decision but obviously I support it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

I'm not actually that surprised by the decision not to hear this case before the Supreme Court. The Court should take that attitude more often, but sadly for a variety of reasons, the Court so often gets involved in matters that the US Congress is afraid to vote on. As for Kavanaugh voting with the liberals, that dosen't surprise me either. He is an excellent Justice for one thing and this wasn't the case to address this issue. There will be a few more down the road. Choose your battles wisely!

Ender
Professor Principal
1.3.1  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3    6 years ago

I honestly think he chose not to pursue this case on purpose, after all the controversy about him and abortion.

He may do so at a later date.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @1.3.1    6 years ago

I doubt that very much. He dosen't have anything to prove, nor will progressives ever consider him the fair minded Constitutionalist he is, even if he votes their way from now "till Hell freezes over.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2  lennylynx    6 years ago

It's nice to see Kavanaugh vote this way, but his behavior during his confirmation process totally disqualified him to me, and this will not change no matter how he votes on anything.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  lennylynx @2    6 years ago

So because you did not like how things went before his confirmation, you will hold whatever he may do on the bench in the future against him? Very petty in my opinion.

I personally am glad the decision went the way it did on the Supreme Court.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.1  lennylynx  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1    6 years ago

Huh?  How am I holding what he did on the bench against him?  I'm endorsing his vote.  I don't want the snivelling, arrogant, entitled little bitch on the Supreme Court, even if he votes the way I would like him to every time.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  lennylynx @2.1.1    6 years ago

Thank you for proving my point. You have a nice day now.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
2.3  Spikegary  replied to  lennylynx @2    6 years ago

It's a good thing that your opinion carries no weight whatsoever.

If everyone felt as you did about their own choice of person, nothing would ever get done.  The confirmation hearings are over, he was confirmed, get over it.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.4  Ender  replied to  lennylynx @2    6 years ago

I thought the same. He has an arrogant shitty attitude.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

I don't think we're done here, as it is stated in the last two arguments in the story,

the states had argued that with more than 70 million people enrolled in Medicaid, allowing individuals to sue could swamp the system and interfere with state systems for evaluating health care providers.

An easy solution for the states is don't deny women the right to get the healthcare THEY need from whom they can get it. Easy.

Planned Parenthood urged the court not to take up the state appeals, arguing that the lower court rulings involved preliminary injunctions, not final rulings on the merits of the lawsuits.

I can see this coming up again simply because they may not get permanent injunctions and, if they do, I can see the states revisiting the SCOTUS with a new appeal.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.1  Freefaller  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3    6 years ago
I can see this coming up again

and again and again and again, etc

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6  Ed-NavDoc    6 years ago
Thank you. You just proved my point.

charger 383
Professor Silent
8  charger 383    6 years ago

Surprised and pleased with his vote

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9  Sparty On    6 years ago

Wow!

Kavanaugh is on SCOTUS and the world didn't end.  

I'm so shocked you could knock me over with a feather.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
9.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Sparty On @9    6 years ago

Yeah. A Judge whose rulings aren't decided by what buzzword the case can be categorized by is a strange concept for a progressive. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
9.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Sparty On @9    6 years ago

Actually, they didn't rule on anything here.  They just refused to hear the case.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  SteevieGee @9.2    6 years ago
they didn't rule on anything here.

Never said they did but read the article.   Kavanaugh was one of the SCJ's who voted to not hear the case.  

Now how could that have happened with a Trump appointed SCJ?

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.2.2  Dulay  replied to  Sparty On @9.2.1    6 years ago

Perhaps he agrees with many other conservatives that think that this particular case was one of the weakest in the que. There are many to choose from and there is a very good possibility that one of those make the argument much more convincingly...

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
9.2.3  Nowhere Man  replied to  Dulay @9.2.2    6 years ago

Actually it's an irrelevant case with a very limited claim.....

The Supreme court has always waited for a highly relevant case with wide impact.

They refused the case cause the issue wasn't ripe for judgment....

A temporary victory.....

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.2.4  Dulay  replied to  Nowhere Man @9.2.3    6 years ago
Actually it's an irrelevant case with a very limited claim.....

The Supreme court has always waited for a highly relevant case with wide impact.

They refused the case cause the issue wasn't ripe for judgment....

A temporary victory.....

How can it be a 'temporary victory' if it was an 'irrelevant case'? 

As for the SCOTUS 'always waiting for a highly relevant case with wide impact', that's utter BS. Many SCOTUS decisions have very little scope for anyone other than the plaintiff and defendant. An example of that is our much debated baker decision which effect him, only him, and ONLY in that one transaction. You can't get a much more narrow impact...

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
9.2.5  Nowhere Man  replied to  Dulay @9.2.4    6 years ago

Well you can state your biases as often as you want..... Thankfully your biases are not what the supreme court bases their decisions on......

Clearly they said the case was refused so it goes back to local jurisdiction for further action.

Throughout my decades of following SC cases it means that either the case wasn't ripe for decision or the issue in the case wasn't of sufficient scope to warrant reviewing it...... The states appealed a minor ruling well within the presiding courts jurisdiction not really effecting the the main issues.....

Their decision was the correct one for purely legal issues. forget about the politics of it....

The Colorado bakers case has implications that go way beyond the issue of the baker and his rights. only a very narrow mind can think otherwise.... It's like saying that the Heller decision only effected that single gun owners right to have a weapon in WA DC...

Very narrow political thinking on display here....

Ender
Professor Principal
9.2.7  Ender  replied to  Nowhere Man @9.2.5    6 years ago

Actually they would have upheld the ruling against the baker. The only reason he won was because of perceived bias against him. They did not change or alter existing law.

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.2.8  Dulay  replied to  Nowhere Man @9.2.5    6 years ago
Well you can state your biases as often as you want..... Thankfully your biases are not what the supreme court bases their decisions on......

What 'biases' are those NWM? Please be specific? 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
9.2.9  Nowhere Man  replied to  Dulay @9.2.8    6 years ago

You must obviously take me for a fool.....

{chuckle}

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
9.2.10  Nowhere Man  replied to  Ender @9.2.7    6 years ago

Actually it was more along the line of the governments political bias that caused an unfair situation..... and an unjust judgment against him.....

But it also clearly stated that the baker has the right to run his business anyway he chooses to, and the government on the basis of fairness cannot persecute him for such.

In other words, the law is not a sword to be used against those you disagree with....

So yes a win for the baker, it didn't directly overturn any law, just nixed the way certain political establishments want to use the law to their own political ends....

I expect more such rulings..... the law is not a weapon to be used by those in control of government to destroy those it perceives as political enemies......

A favorite tactic of the progressive democrat controlled state governments.....

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.2.11  Dulay  replied to  Nowhere Man @9.2.9    6 years ago
You must obviously take me for a fool..... {chuckle}

Actually, per the CoC, I really can't say what I take you as NWM, but I can say that you seem unwilling and unable to support your comments. 

I for one refrain from making accusations against members that I can't support with evidence, or at minimum a quote from the member that bolsters the accusation. You and I don't have the same standards...

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.2.12  Dulay  replied to  Nowhere Man @9.2.10    6 years ago
But it also clearly stated that the baker has the right to run his business anyway he chooses to, and the government on the basis of fairness cannot persecute him for such.

Nope. That is a clueless statement. You really must abhor reading. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
9.2.13  Nowhere Man  replied to  Dulay @9.2.11    6 years ago
Actually, per the CoC, I really can't say what I take you as NWM

I'm sure, likewise from the other direction.

I tend to support my statements when conversing with someone that it is worth it, with you it isn't....

So we have a mutual dislike for each other.... understandable. Nothing I could ever say would meet with your approval cause you and I have seriously different beliefs in every way imaginable.

So why don't we do each other a favor and not address each other....

Save the mods a lot of work besides I've mellowed a lot in my old age and the doc's say that is a good thing....

Permanent impasse in all things....

Agreed?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
9.2.15  Nowhere Man  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @9.2.14    6 years ago

Have at it my friend.... My pleasure..... {chuckle}

Ender
Professor Principal
9.2.16  Ender  replied to  Nowhere Man @9.2.10    6 years ago

Some of the justices may have said certain things along that lines, but that is not what was ruled on.

They did not say he could run the business any way he wanted, they also did not say he couldn't, that was never ruled on.

The baker won because they said the commission had bias. They did not rule on whether he could or could not refuse service.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
9.2.17  Nowhere Man  replied to  Ender @9.2.16    6 years ago
The baker won because they said the commission had bias. They did not rule on whether he could or could not refuse service.

Psst..... I know that, the point being, she's claiming it's a win, when it wasn't. So I decided to have a little fun...

Anything wrong with that?

Can you answer me a question?

What the hell am I whispering for?

Ender
Professor Principal
9.2.18  Ender  replied to  Nowhere Man @9.2.17    6 years ago

Fun with fonts?

People have told me that I get quieter when I get stoned.

Also louder when I drink.

So I mix the two. Balance ya know.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
9.2.19  Nowhere Man  replied to  Ender @9.2.18    6 years ago

Only when I'm in that state I seem to keep falling over..... otherwise I'm all for balance.....

I wish everyone could take a lighter tone, but it just seem's like lighter is the new heavy.....

I'm tired of balancing one side to another.... and the steady droning on and on about how we are all bad people and should just expire or get out of the way and let everyone else have it their way....

How we are all wrong and they are all right.....

I wonder sometimes how we made it this far.....

Musta been something in the water....

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.2.20  Dulay  replied to  Nowhere Man @9.2.13    6 years ago
I tend to support my statements when conversing with someone that it is worth it, with you it isn't....

Your inability and/or unwillingness to support your own statements has NOTHING to do with MY worth...

So we have a mutual dislike for each other.... understandable. Nothing I could ever say would meet with your approval cause you and I have seriously different beliefs in every way imaginable.

Facts don't need either my approval or yours. They stand on their own. Our 'different beliefs' are most notable when it comes to posting comments based on facts vs. animus. 

So why don't we do each other a favor and not address each other....

Save the mods a lot of work besides I've mellowed a lot in my old age and the doc's say that is a good thing....

Permanent impasse in all things....

Agreed?

I haven't had any issues with mods. If you have, that's on you. If you don't want to interact, DON'T. I'll post whenever the hell I want...

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
9.2.21  Nowhere Man  replied to  Dulay @9.2.20    6 years ago

so be it.....

Have a nice day....

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
9.2.22  Studiusbagus  replied to  Sparty On @9.2.1    6 years ago

Maybe he was drunk at the time?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.2.23  Texan1211  replied to  Studiusbagus @9.2.22    6 years ago

Or maybe a bunch of progressive liberals went all Chicken Little over nothing?

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
9.2.24  Studiusbagus  replied to  Texan1211 @9.2.23    6 years ago

Yep, could be.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.2.25  Texan1211  replied to  Studiusbagus @9.2.24    6 years ago
Yep, could be.

COULD be?

LMAO!

That is like being a "little bit pregnant"!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9.2.26  MrFrost  replied to  Dulay @9.2.20    6 years ago
If you don't want to interact, DON'T. I'll post whenever the hell I want...

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
9.2.27  Studiusbagus  replied to  Texan1211 @9.2.25    6 years ago

So, I agree that maybe that could be the case and you want to pick an insult.

Thanks, we're done.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.2.28  Texan1211  replied to  Studiusbagus @9.2.27    6 years ago
So, I agree that maybe that could be the case and you want to pick an insult.
Thanks, we're done.

No need to get your feelings all hurt.

It is an expression--surely you have heard of it before??!!?!

WTF was the insult?

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
9.2.29  Studiusbagus  replied to  Texan1211 @9.2.28    6 years ago

My "feelings" don't get hurt like that.

And as I posted, we're done here.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.2.30  Texan1211  replied to  Studiusbagus @9.2.29    6 years ago

jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
10  livefreeordie    6 years ago

The correct solution is to repeal Medicaid and let each state determine if it wants to pay for health services

James Madison Federalist No. 45, Alleged Danger from the Powers of the Union to the State Governments Considered, Independent Journal, January 26, 1788;

“The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government, are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected. The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State.” – 

Dulay
Professor Expert
10.1  Dulay  replied to  livefreeordie @10    6 years ago
The correct solution is to repeal Medicaid and let each state determine if it wants to pay for health services

States do just that now LFOD.

Medicaid doesn't FORCE states to do anything so Federalists 45 is moot...

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
10.1.1  livefreeordie  replied to  Dulay @10.1    6 years ago

Nonsense. Medicaid is a Federally funded program. Many states do have state run programs that rely upon Federal Medicaid funds

tHe existence of Medicaid and Medicare violate the Constitution and Madison’s clear explanation in Federalist 45

Dulay
Professor Expert
10.1.2  Dulay  replied to  livefreeordie @10.1.1    6 years ago
Nonsense.

Nonsense? You admit that it's Federally funded so HOW does that FORCE states to DO anything? 

You should know better than to bring up a Federalist paper to bolster your posit. Every time I catch you at it I eviscerate your posit. You love to post snippets of those papers to pretend that either Madison or Hamilton agree with your position. So far, your attempts have failed every time. 

Again, Medicaid does not FORCE states to DO anything. States CHOOSE @ what level they participate. STOP the BS. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
10.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  livefreeordie @10.1.1    6 years ago
tHe existence of Medicaid and Medicare violate the Constitution and Madison’s clear explanation in Federalist 45

The Federalist Papers are a fine read. But they are essentially just an advertisement to get people to ratify the US Constitution at the time. They are not the same as the Constitution.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
10.1.4  livefreeordie  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.3    6 years ago

Nonsense the Federalist papers contain the explanations for every dot and tittle of the Constitution

"On every question of construction carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed." --Thomas Jefferson to William Johnson, 1823. ME 15:449h

The Supreme Court Justices often refer to the Federalist papers for insight on interpreting the Constitution and often cite a specific paper in their opinions

The Supreme Court cited the Federalist Papers 179 times between 1935-1991. It has doubled that number since 1991

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
10.1.5  livefreeordie  replied to  Dulay @10.1.2    6 years ago

You appear to completely lack comprehension of what I’m saying

Medicaid is a federal program funded by federal income taxes and thus unconstitutionally usurps the power of the states.

every state that administers a Medicaid plan relies upon mostly federal funding. The only recent difference lies with the Obamacare Medicaid eligibility EXPANSION 

to properly administer a state program, Medicaid must be repealed and let each state determine whether it wants such a program and what the citizens are willing to be taxed to pay for

Gordy327
Professor Expert
10.1.6  Gordy327  replied to  livefreeordie @10.1.4    6 years ago
Nonsense the Federalist papers contain the explanations for every dot and tittle of the Constitution

Really? So you would be ok if the Constitution did not have a Bill of Rights, per the Federalist no. 84? What you fail to understand is that the Federalist papers are a "rough draft" of the Constitution. They clearly do not equal or exactly mirror the final product.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
10.1.7  Tacos!  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.3    6 years ago
The Federalist Papers are a fine read. But they are essentially just an advertisement to get people to ratify the US Constitution at the time. They are not the same as the Constitution.

A critical component of statutory construction is determining the intent of the people who craft legislation. To this end, the Federalist Papers have been cited in many Supreme Court opinions and explicitly factored into the opinions of many justices. Examples include Printz v. US (1997), Alden v. Maine (1999), Clinton v. City of New York (1998), and Bush v. Gore (2000) among many others.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
10.1.8  Gordy327  replied to  Tacos! @10.1.7    6 years ago
A critical component of statutory construction is determining the intent of the people who craft legislation.

That's a far cry from stating that the federalist papers is akin to the Constitution itself. The writings of  the Founding Fathers have also been used in determining intentions regarding legislation. Ultimately, it's the Constitution that is the crux of judicial review and opinion. At the time they were written, the Federalist papers were meant to advertise the Constitution for ratification.

Dulay
Professor Expert
10.1.9  Dulay  replied to  livefreeordie @10.1.5    6 years ago

Oh I comprehend exactly what you're saying. I also comprehend that you're contradicting yourself. 

Perhaps you can explain how a Federally funded program FORCES a state to DO anything. I won't be holding my breath for a cogent answer.

Dulay
Professor Expert
10.1.10  Dulay  replied to  livefreeordie @10.1.4    6 years ago

Yet YOU fail to interpret not only the Federalist Papers, but the Constitution coherently. Well done. 

BTFW, the Federalist papers aren't 'the debates'. There are quite a few cases when the 'arguments' made in the Federalists failed during debate...

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
10.1.11  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  livefreeordie @10.1.5    6 years ago
Medicaid is a federal program funded by federal income taxes and thus unconstitutionally usurps the power of the states.

Sixteenth Amendment: "The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes , from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration."

Other Constitutional provisions regarding taxes :

Article I , Section 2, Clause 3:

Representatives and direct taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers...

Article I, Section 8, Clause 1:

The Congress shall have Power to lay and collect Taxes , Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States ; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States.

I think caring for the health of American citizens, especially widows, children, the disabled and the elderly would certainly be considered the "general welfare of the United States".

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
10.1.12  SteevieGee  replied to  livefreeordie @10.1.5    6 years ago

I know exactly what you're saying.  You're saying that women should be forced to have babies and then, if the mother can't afford a doctor, those babies should just be allowed to die.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11  Tacos!    6 years ago

Will anyone who was saying what a disaster Kavanaugh would be for women now be willing to consider that maybe they prejudged him unfairly?

lib50
Professor Silent
11.2  lib50  replied to  Tacos! @11    6 years ago

The only reason he and Roberts didn't want to take the case was to settle the waters about partisan bias and a highly sensitive issue that will piss off more young and old women than they can imagine.  Or maybe they can.   Trump pissed off Roberts and he doesn't want more drama at this point.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  lib50 @11.2    6 years ago
The only reason he and Roberts didn't want to take the case was to settle the waters about partisan bias and a highly sensitive issue that will piss off more young and old women than they can imagine.

Oh is that what he told you when you called him on the phone?

Try to be consistent. If these guys hate women as much as Democrats claim, why would they care about their feelings?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
12  Tessylo    6 years ago

'now be willing to consider that maybe they prejudged him unfairly?'

Nope.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
12.1  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @12    6 years ago

[Removed]