╌>

Trump Hints At Civil Unrest If He Is Impeached

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  39 comments

Trump Hints At Civil Unrest If He Is Impeached

"I'm not concerned, no. I think that the people would revolt if that (impeachment) happened," he said.

That was Trump speaking to a reporter from Reuters this afternoon. He was asked if he is concerned about the possibility that the Democratic House of representatives might try and impeach him in 2019.

What kind of "revolt" is he speaking of?  A revolt at the ballot box? He just lost some of his support at the ballot box just a few weeks ago. There is absolutely no reason to think that the 50 some percent of the people who have rejected Trump a few weeks ago will suddenly decide to vote FOR him if he is impeached. Most, if not all,  of those people want him gone.

What is this revolt the president* is counting on? A revolt led by right wing media supporting him 1000% ? He already has that level of support from the right media and his swarm of "deplorables". What are they going to do then, have a "sit-in" at Nancy Pelosi's congressional office?

Or is Trump suggesting to his army of Trumpsters that they should consider stronger reactions to his troubles?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    6 years ago

BY JEFF MASON AND STEVE Holland

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Tuesday he was not concerned that he could be impeached and that hush payments made ahead of the 2016 election by his former personal attorney Michael Cohen to two women did not violate campaign finance laws.

"It's hard to impeach somebody who hasn't done anything wrong and who's created the greatest economy in the history of our country," Trump told Reuters in an Oval Office interview.

"I'm not concerned, no. I think that the people would revolt if that happened," he said.

Federal prosecutors in New York said last week that Trump directed Cohen to make six-figure payments to two women so they would not discuss their alleged affairs with the candidate ahead of the 2016 presidential election.

They said the payments violated laws that stipulate that campaign contributions, defined as things of value given to a campaign to influence an election, must be disclosed, and limited to $2,700 per person.

Democrats said such a campaign law violation would be an impeachable offense, although senior party leaders in Congress have questioned whether it is a serious enough crime to warrant politically charged impeachment proceedings.

Impeachment requires a simple majority to pass the House of Representatives, where Democrats will take control in January. But removal of the president from office further requires a two-thirds majority in the Senate, where Trump's fellow Republicans hold sway.

Cohen is scheduled to be sentenced on Wednesday in New York for his role in the payments to the two women - adult film actress Stormy Daniels and former Playboy model Karen McDougal. Trump has denied having affairs with them.

Earlier this year, Trump acknowledged repaying Cohen for $130,000 paid to Daniels, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford. He previously disputed knowing anything about the payments.

'PEANUT STUFF'

Trump has slammed Cohen for cooperating with prosecutors, alleging that the lawyer is telling lies about him in a bid to get a lighter prison term. He has called for Cohen to get a long sentence and said on Tuesday his ex-lawyer should have known the campaign finance laws.

"Michael Cohen is a lawyer. I assume he would know what he's doing," Trump said when asked if he had discussed campaign finance laws with Cohen.

"Number one, it wasn't a campaign contribution. If it were, it's only civil, and even if it's only civil, there was no violation based on what we did. OK?"

Asked about prosecutors' assertions that a number of people who had worked for him met or had business dealings with Russians before and during his 2016 presidential campaign, Trump said: "The stuff you're talking about is peanut stuff."

He then sought to turn the subject to his 2016 Democratic opponent.

"I haven't heard this, but I can only tell you this: Hillary Clinton - her husband got money, she got money, she paid money, why doesn't somebody talk about that?" Trump said.

The president said he could work with Democrats in Congress, but suggested that would not happen if they issued subpoenas and pursued investigations against him.

"We’re going to go down one of two tracks. We’re either going to start the campaign and they’re going to do presidential harassment. Or we’re going to get tremendous amounts of legislation passed working together. There’s not a third track," he said.

"Look, they’ve been looking for two years about collusion. There’s no collusion," he said.

Trump has dismissed the special counsel's probe into possible collusion between his 2016 presidential campaign and Russia as a witch hunt.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2  Nowhere Man    6 years ago

He does have a high opinion of himself doesn't he?

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
2.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Nowhere Man @2    6 years ago
He does have a high opinion of himself doesn't he?

To say the least!

PS:  jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.1.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.1    6 years ago
PS:  jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

Aww Sis, you know your my first love.....

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
2.2  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Nowhere Man @2    6 years ago

Don't know why , but that scene in brave heart where the nobles rode away after being signaled to join the battle flashed through my head when I heard this was said....

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.2.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @2.2    6 years ago

Yeah, but when it's all said and done, I wonder how bloody he's going to be at the end of the battle.....

What we will know, is where he stands in the republican party beyond any doubt.....

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.3  cjcold  replied to  Nowhere Man @2    6 years ago

Dunning-Kruger effect. The most idiotic person on the planet who claims to be the smartest man on the planet.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
4  lennylynx    6 years ago

[Removed]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  lennylynx @4    6 years ago

why was lenny's comment removed ?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    6 years ago

Far right wing fascism?

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.2  lennylynx  replied to  cjcold @4.1.1    6 years ago

Close CJ, Far right Fishism.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago
"I'm not concerned, no. I think that the people would revolt if that (impeachment) happened," he said.

Well, I think that there are certain people that support Trump who talk a good game, when it comes to starting a revolt if Trump is impeached, I think that they will realize that they are pretty much standing alone when it actually comes to the act itself.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
6  lady in black    6 years ago

[deleted]

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
6.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  lady in black @6    6 years ago

Removed for context [SP]

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     6 years ago

thumb_house-republicans-admit-fearing-for-their-lives-from-growing-civil-23094214.png

Wait, what, their afraid of being attacked by their own?????

cjcold
Professor Quiet
7.1  cjcold  replied to  Kavika @7    6 years ago

Fear is what rules far right wingers.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
9  lady in black    6 years ago

And the fucktard is still sucking up to the prince, the fat fuck praises dictators and slams our allies.

Trump says he's not worried about impeachment, stands by Saudi crown prince

luther28
Sophomore Silent
10  luther28    6 years ago

I think that the people would revolt if that (impeachment) happened," he said.

Highly unlikely and I do not see the merit of impeachment in this particular instance. By the time it concluded, Mr. Trumps term would be over.

I would rather He served the next two years (or better yet resign) and after leaving office face the criminal charges for His misdeeds like the rest of His merry band.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
11  bbl-1    6 years ago

So the 'Trump base' would revolt?  For what?  Playtime with a Playboy Playmate?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12  author  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Maybe Trump thinks his minions will revolt because he is revolting.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
12.1  MrFrost  replied to  JohnRussell @12    6 years ago

pat wilson
Professor Participates
12.1.1  pat wilson  replied to  MrFrost @12.1    6 years ago

It's funny but it's photoshopped.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
12.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  pat wilson @12.1.1    6 years ago

True.. But still accurate.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
13  Dismayed Patriot    6 years ago

Don Jr - "Dad! The people are revolting!"

DJT - "Yes son, I know, but they keep voting for me so we have to just hold our noses for now..."

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
14  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    6 years ago

I'm more concerned with what he said to Chuck Schumer in that oval office pissing contest yesterday.  I'm sorry, but when he mentioned the military as a way to get what he wanted, I immediately thought of his pallies Kim Jong-Un and Vladimir Putin.   

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
14.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @14    6 years ago

it could be concerning sister , but it does depend entirely on what he meant and how the military would be used .

a number of months ago , long before the caravan , during a discussion on "the wall", I posited that the military could be used to build a wall . currently all the civil engineering units have training to make temp bases where they practice their skills and trades , it would not be far fetched or unthinkable that instead of holding those trainings elsewhere , the training is moved to the border , and the materials used in that training be used to make a permanent  structure , currently they build in training and then its torn down and the materials are sent for disposal or reclamation. I admit there would be a lot of questions needed to be answered and that would come up , but it is not unthinkable .

Now if your only thinking  Mg nests , fixed fighting positions and armed personel , then yes it does become very concerning .

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
15  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Trump told Reuters in an Oval Office interview.

"I'm not concerned, no. I think that the people would revolt if that happened," he said.

Really?

The rhetoric not only continues, but is coming from the President of the United States of America to boot.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
15.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @15    6 years ago

I'd say he's doing better, I didn't hear him offer to pay anyones lawyers bills this time... yet.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
15.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @15.1    6 years ago
I didn't hear him offer to pay anyones lawyers bills this time... yet.

That might be even more concerning. Such as: "Who needs lawyers during a collapse of law and order?"

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
15.1.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @15.1.1    6 years ago
I didn't hear him offer to pay anyones lawyers bills this time... yet.
That might be even more concerning.

Yep, I certainly do not look for this man to ever give up power willingly. Quite the opposite. I dont think we've seen nuthin yet ! 

I think the first day trump walked into the oval office and sat down he thought,

...  "I"m home." 

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
16  Steve Ott    6 years ago

Bring it.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
16.2  Nowhere Man  replied to  Steve Ott @16    6 years ago

You say you want a revolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world

You tell me that it's evolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world

But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know that you can count me out
Don't you know it's gonna be
All right, all right, all right

You say you got a real solution
Well, you know
We'd all love to see the plan

You ask me for a contribution
Well, you know
We're doing what we can

But if you want money for people with minds that hate
All I can tell is brother you have to wait

You say you'll change the constitution
Well, you know
We all want to change your head

You tell me it's the institution
Well, you know
You better free you mind instead

But if you go carrying pictures of chairman Mao
You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow

Well I would have to agree, there isn't a whole lot of makin' it going on right now....... (in the US government)

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
17  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Beware, the charismatic revolutionary.